GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 25 Jan 2020, 13:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all IMD Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2017!!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Re: Calling all IMD Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2017!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2016, 10:44
vibis wrote:
IMD posted this week Career Statistics for 2015.
You can find the updated data by the following link:
http://www.imd.org/uupload/IMD.WebSite/Oep/Mba/Home/MBA-career-statistics.pdf

I made a short overview of their career statistics for the last 5 years to compare, please check the attached file. Here are the keypoints:
- Average salary in US dollars is on its minimum of 120K. However, in Euro the salary increased to its peak of 108K, and that's the highest amount ever for the last 5 years. Although 70% of grads stay in Europe, it is still not clear how many stay in Switzerland and what is the salary effect of that.
- The share of consulting increased to 30% from usual 20-25%.
- The difference btw mean and median is minor, meaning that class profile has become more universal.

Any good MBA employment report should have the following information: 1) How many students were seeking employment, 2) How many of those seeking employment have received job offer at graduation and how many received it three months out?, 3) How many of those received offers have accepted it?, 4) of those accepted jobs offers, how many of them reported salary figures? 5) very important factor, what was the percentage of the career office in getting the jobs? i.e did the students secured the jobs by thier own contact or by the career office? then the breakdown by geography, industry, and function. So far, outside US, handful business schools report such comprehensive reports such as INSEAD, IE, IESE. IMD report is very ambiguous and unclear. We don't know what percentage these salaries represent? Maybe it is just for 10 people of the entire class, or 50 or 70!! we don't know. Most likely because IMD hide something, they did before when reported the weird three year average career report. When I see the profiles of those got in Mckinsey, Siemens, or Danaher, I notice they already have strong profiles and experiences that make IMD degree has minimum impact. They would have achieved these jobs with any MBA.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: IMD '17 (M)
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2016, 06:06
Pandal wrote:
The number of applicants declined sharply from 440 in 2013 to 327 last year and the number is around 200 or so for the major 3 rounds this year. Most MBA expert and consultants noticed the sad decline in this program. The program dropped in every major ranking. and will further drop because the results from the employment report are not encouraging anymore. ....
The main reason is its current director who just destroyed everything. In a single move, he forced five key people to leave the program. He is so narcissist and dictate all things, he is the program director, the admission director, the ICP director, ..etc. Everyone knows that such concentrations of responsibilities in one man is dead wrong.

Hey Pandal,

Seems you have it very personal for IMD. Did you work there before, or graduated, or was dinged?

Although you have thrown lots of disrespectful and controversial comments without supportive facts, there is one thing that caught my attention.
So let's say you numbers for 2013 number of applications is true. Do you understand that the career statistics published for 2014 is for the same people who were accepted during 2013? And if you say the number of applications was going down (no source of info disclosed), current career report shows increase in salary, which means the number of application does not have strong effect on the salary.

Actually we saw a huge drop in wages for 2013 batch and perhaps that was the key reason of changes in school during 2014? I believe this is much probable and comparing reports of 2013 and 2014-2015, seems school is on the right path, especially with euro salary, don't you agree? Ralf became head of MBA in 2014, which means that even though he started some changes, we will see his results for 2016 batch.

Can you please support you discussion with numbers and facts that are publicly available and don't humiliate people who you even don't know?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2016, 09:25
vibis wrote:
Pandal wrote:
The number of applicants declined sharply from 440 in 2013 to 327 last year and the number is around 200 or so for the major 3 rounds this year. Most MBA expert and consultants noticed the sad decline in this program. The program dropped in every major ranking. and will further drop because the results from the employment report are not encouraging anymore. ....
The main reason is its current director who just destroyed everything. In a single move, he forced five key people to leave the program. He is so narcissist and dictate all things, he is the program director, the admission director, the ICP director, ..etc. Everyone knows that such concentrations of responsibilities in one man is dead wrong.

Hey Pandal,

Seems you have it very personal for IMD. Did you work there before, or graduated, or was dinged?

Although you have thrown lots of disrespectful and controversial comments without supportive facts, there is one thing that caught my attention.
So let's say you numbers for 2013 number of applications is true. Do you understand that the career statistics published for 2014 is for the same people who were accepted during 2013? And if you say the number of applications was going down (no source of info disclosed), current career report shows increase in salary, which means the number of application does not have strong effect on the salary.

Actually we saw a huge drop in wages for 2013 batch and perhaps that was the key reason of changes in school during 2014? I believe this is much probable and comparing reports of 2013 and 2014-2015, seems school is on the right path, especially with euro salary, don't you agree? Ralf became head of MBA in 2014, which means that even though he started some changes, we will see his results for 2016 batch.

Can you please support you discussion with numbers and facts that are publicly available and don't humiliate people who you even don't know?

Thanks!

Here is the source for number applicants: http://www.forbes.com/colleges/imd/
and here is the source of the outrage caused by the current director: http://poetsandquants.com/2014/10/30/mo ... a-program/
another: http://blog.accepted.com/2014/11/09/5-k ... ls-resign/
another: http://poetsandquants.com/2014/09/04/wh ... eer-stats/

I don't have personal, but I am very interested in the MBA industry and don't like the manipulating ways some schools use to trap prospective poor applicants. IMD was fantastic few years back, but now, NO.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2016, 07:21
vibis wrote:
Pandal wrote:

Hey Pandal,

Thanks!

comment from current IMD student:
"Ralf highly unpopular on the forum- opinion over him at IMD is also very divided, but he does care a lot about students and he is trying hard to change things around some are great but personally i think his obsession for micromanaging people is his big downfall.
- class of 2015. was a pretty bad class in terms of the people they got i think this year will do much better and has a lot of highly interesting people
- imd model allows some flexibility for example u can end up with a guy who would never make it into a top-tire school but IMD case by case model worked out for him and these people are often the most interesting and the smartest/ on the contrary HBS for example you get loads of people who made it in cuz they know how to play the admission game
--- students have a very little free time which means good luck with networking and stuff
-- internship doesnt exist you have one consulting project and is great for students who come from third world or industry to learn how to work in a consulting environment
there is also a now program called company engagement project which on principle means it has to be a FREE internship and many students got into trouble with the MBA office because they wanted to get paid and believed given the great experience they bring to the table, working as a free labor will be disgraceful.
( so if you know Ralf you know he is a philosopher the idea is if you work for free you will find a job that is very interesting in reality it works? not really) The CEP means you cant take a 4 week much needed vacation ( you can if you do not want any internship ) and the short span of the project means no top tire firm will take you as an intern that being said Philip Morris, Nestle and Novartis are always there"

The link is here with interesting discussion. I hope it helps the prospective applicants understand the program better.
http://poetsandquants.com/2016/05/04/im ... /#comments
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
NTF goes to Munich!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2016, 00:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: NTF goes to Munich!
Hi everyone, after reading so much about our program for a third eye view, it is my turn to give another angle of the story! Following up on the successful Navigating The Future conference, our class was ready to spread ideas around Europe! Here comes our „Navigating The Future goes to Europe“ tour.

We had the opportunity here to be assigned to one of three trips and having lived in Munich before the MBA, I of course decided to be part of the journey to Germany!

We were able to present refined NTF topics that had been tailored for an audience keen on hearing about industrie 4.0, energy, autonomous driving and robots! Makes sense no? Munich is the capital city of the Bayern state in Germany which is THE area to speak about these topics with company like Siemens, MAN, BMW having HQ there! Many of our alumni, some of them working now for these companies were present and made this meeting a challenging and motivating occasion to show case what we developed along the course of our studies!

Altogether, this intense lighting trip to Munich provided a great opportunity to meet a local alumni club that some of us will hope to join later on and proved a nice networking event in a the great setting.

On the fun side, we had time for a (few) well deserved ( and world known ) beer(s) from the area in a local Brauhaus. This was I believe a teaser trip making some of my classmates want to discover this great city extensively later on!

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
CEP at IMD  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2016, 02:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: CEP at IMD
IMD provides a possibility to have a Company Engagement Project (CEP) for five weeks during the program. Term is very broad and can include the research of certain topic (by holding interviews with companies), working for a company project remotely from IMD premises or working on a project on company premises. It is up to MBA students to decide what they want to get out of their CEP.

I wanted three things from my CEP:

• Experience of working in a large corporate environment – I have always worked either for start-ups or small companies, never over 65 employees. To enhance my experience and confirm or reject my preconceptions about corporations I wanted to get experience of working at a corporation.
  • Working within Switzerland to understand Swiss working culture – one of the main objectives for me to do an MBA was to change locations. Switzerland is one of the place I can continue my career at, to experience more of it; I wanted my CEP based in Switzerland.
  • Understanding a new industry, I have not been part of – I come from IT and food industry backgrounds and wanted to experience some industry on the manufacturing side of things, not related with IT or hospitality.
Fortunately during my CEP I managed to achieve all of my objectives. The company I worked with is based in Zurich and in manufacturing industry. Most important for me was to experience the working environment of a big corporation, namely how do changes take place, how are decisions made, who is involved at what point, how it all works in real life, vs how it is supposed to work as per regulations. I got my answer to all the main questions I had, which is a lot to achieve in just five weeks and new found knowledge will help in future job search and defining my objectives for professional career. Only regret I have regarding CEP, is that it lasted for a short time and the progress I can make on a project I was working on was very limited.

My advice for future generation of IMD MBAs would be to clearly define the objectives they want to achieve by CEP, and try to experience something new in terms of location, industry or function. Only in this way, CEP can be productive for future career insights.

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Summer Opportunities  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2016, 01:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Summer Opportunities
Along our curriculum, the summer Company Engagement Project (CEP) is the opportunity for all of us to do one step towards our post-MBA dream job. Some choose to engage with local companies for an on-site mini-project, some other choose to engage in a remote personal report fueled by various expert interviews. On my side, my aim was to get a better understanding of the business of a company that really interest me (Siemens) and then to have a chance to open-up on the broader challenges and disruptions awaiting me back in the real world once I am done with my MBA.

So far I found in my project more than what I bargained for! If I could summarize it my way our subject would be like this: Here is a technology. Check these three markets. Tell us what we could do.

So here we are, three motivated students (Luca Gianaschi, David Risco and myself) having four weeks to: understand the subtleties of a very complex and regulated industry (the energy business as a whole), apprehend a new technology: the blockchain and its possible implications for the energy business and do specific recommendation on possible implementations and business models!

This project so far got us the chance work on cutting edge research on what people arguably call “the most disruptive invention since the Internet itself” and its possible implications in Europe and in industries outside the obvious (fintech). It also got us the opportunity to interact with experts and Siemens Novel Business which is the arm of Siemens responsible for creating start-ups for disruptive business model opportunities.

We now have to put together in four weeks all what our previous experiences in consulting, innovation or IT taught us, together with our newly acquired MBA insights and way to look at markets and business models to come up with brilliant ideas!

Our aim is here to come up with concrete and tangible models that we would go and present in Munich to Siemens on the 5th of August for our final meeting with them! I won’t be able to tell you more than that: big hush-hush here! But let me tell you this: We are talking about big disruptions in the energy grid!

Nicholas

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Summer company engagement: digital disruptions in the energy grid  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2016, 02:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Summer company engagement: digital disruptions in the energy grid
Along our curriculum, the summer Company Engagement Project (CEP) is the opportunity for all of us to do one step towards our post-MBA dream job. Some choose to engage with local companies for an on-site mini-project, some other choose to engage in a remote personal report fueled by various expert interviews. On my side, my aim was to get a better understanding of the business of a company that really interest me (Siemens) and then to have a chance to open-up on the broader challenges and disruptions awaiting me back in the real world once I am done with my MBA.

This is why I chose to work on a group study with Siemens next47 from Munich, Germany when the opportunity presented itself! Siemens next47 is the arm of Siemens responsible for collaborating with start-ups targeting disruptive business model opportunities in (among other things) distributed electrification, A.I. , connected (e-)mobility, autonomous machines and blockchain applications. Nice trending business topics to work on indeed!

So far I found in my project more than what I bargained for! If I could summarize it my way our subject would be like this: “Here is a technology. Deep dive in these three markets. Tell us what we could do.”

Here we are, three motivated students (Luca Gianaschi, David Risco and myself) having four weeks to:

• summarize the subtleties and inefficiencies of a very complex and regulated industry (the energy business as a whole),
  • apprehend a new technology: the blockchain and its possible implications for the energy business and
  • do specific recommendations on possible implementations and business models!
This project so far got us the chance to work on what people arguably call “the most disruptive invention since the Internet itself” and its possible implications in Europe and in industries outside the obvious (Fintech). It also got us the opportunity to interact with experts and most importantly with Siemens next47.

We now have to put together in four weeks all what our complementary experiences in consulting, innovation or IT taught us, together with our newly acquired MBA insights and way to look at markets and business models!

Our aim is here to come up with concrete models that we would go and present in Munich to Siemens on the 5th of August for our final meeting with them! I unfortunately won’t be able to tell you more than that: big hush-hush here! But let me tell you this: We are talking about big disruptions in the energy grid!

Nicolas

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Summer project: an opportunity to explore and experiment!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2016, 04:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Summer project: an opportunity to explore and experiment!
Having already done one management program from a prestigious school eight years ago, I was being discouraged from pursuing another similar program. However, I was clear – it wasn’t an MBA program I was opting for, it was IMD’s international customized program structure that encouraged me to pursue a second masters.

Up until two years ago, the IMD program offered a three-week summer break between the two extremely intense first and second semesters of the program. From 2015 onwards, the break was replaced with an opportunity to do a Company Engagement Project (CEP) for five weeks. The IMD MBA class consists of highly experienced business professionals, many of whom may be looking to change industries/ geographies/ functions. This summer project gives the candidates a glimpse into different companies, functions, roles, before they make up their minds on the post MBA career opportunities.

Prior to IMD, I had experienced working with large international conglomerates internationally and had also managed my family business. So, while I understand the work culture and challenges in large and small scale organisations, post IMD I want to specifically explore prospects in industrial goods/ automotive sectors. Additionally, digitization is disrupting the young and traditional industries globally, so I wanted to understand its impact on the industries of my interest. To find a combination of these two elements for just a five-week summer project was not an easy task.

I had been following developments on a British company for the past couple of years that is engaged in heavy manufacturing in the aerospace industry. They traditionally do not hire summer interns or MBA candidates for managerial roles. However, it had been my dream to work with them. That’s also one of the reasons I chose to come to IMD – their strong presence and recognition in industry. With the help of the MBA Career Services Office, I was able to secure a project with them.

Fortunately, as I desired, the project required me to work on developing a plan to help strengthen the digital organization and capability in order to offer improved service solutions to customers. In a traditional industry that is now required to constantly cope with the technological and analytics advancement, this project gave me a healthy exposure to strategy, corporate planning, human resources, as well as business unit teams. I developed a sound understanding of how internal strategies and decisions determine an organisation’s competitive positioning, and its long-term financial success. It was also very interesting to learn about how non-traditional competition is threatening the business model of organisations that have flourished for several decades.

It took me longer than most peers to finalise my summer project because I decided to pursue only one specific company that would help me achieve my learning objectives. Along the way, I had to regretfully decline a few project offers, but I did not get pressured when time was running out. The experience of identifying and securing a CEP can be considered a good training ground before the search for final placements commences. What it also taught me was to how to shortlist and prioritise opportunities that are aligned with long-term professional aspirations.

While initially I was not too happy to forego a summer break, I believe that the introduction of a CEP has only made the IMD program more interesting and worthwhile. In addition to landing a project with my dream company, I have also been able to step closer to the industries I want to pursue prospects in post IMD. Whether you’d like to experiment with something that you’d never be able to do in life OR use this as an occasion to network in your target company – it’s important to spend adequate time to understand what you want – to get the most out of this unique program.

Best wishes,

Anu Kateja

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Lowering the Cost of Wind Energy to Replace Coal…  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2016, 05:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Lowering the Cost of Wind Energy to Replace Coal…
so my future children get Life Extension by breathing clean air!

Hello from Buffalo, New York! I’m excited to share my internship experience with Sentient Science. Sentient is a rapidly growing company that uses a small data from material science approach to the “internet of things” to predict when mechanical assets will fail. If you think about it, knowing exactly when something will break down (up to 30 years in advance) can deliver significant operational, asset management and risk management improvements that directly hit the bottom line. The company has captured 10+% global market share in 1.5 years in the wind turbine industry … crazy, right?!

I chose Sentient for my IMD CEP (Company Engagement Project) because the CEO, Ward Thomas really sold me on a high-impact project in a sector I’m interested in: renewable energy/wind. I’ve been tasked to work with the team to look at some corporate strategy initiatives. Particularly, I’ve been looking at calculating wind turbine economics from the operator’s perspective, quantifying Sentient’s value proposition (today & future vision), and proposing new business models that generate win-win situations for both suppliers and operators. All this is supposed to help the company achieve its main goal for wind farm operators: to reduce the average cost of energy by $10 per MW hour. That’s a reduction in expenses equivalent to 13% of sales, a huge impact for the many low-yielding utilities out there!

Just as a reflection on IMD’s MBA program structure, I love that we have a CEP. I think it’s a key part to my learning because I’ve also received some great help from some of the other guys in our class (shout out to Joe, Dustin and Jose!) who shared experiences from their careers that gave me business model ideas for my CEP. I’m fully confident that the IMD network, especially our Class of 2016, will always be there to help each other in the years to come.

I do miss all my classmates but before I know it we’ll all be back in the classroom on August 8th, at 8 AM, with the unlimited coffee and fruits at our disposal. Oh how it’s strange that some of us miss Lorange Auditorium … and definitely the IMD Restaurant. Enjoy summer everyone!

Alex

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Partnering up with one of the largest companies in the world (guest en  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2016, 02:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Partnering up with one of the largest companies in the world (guest entry)
Today is the last guest entry about the summer Company Engagement projects, written by  Swiss/German Philipp de Angelis.

Some enroll in an MBA to strengthen their business acumen and general management skills. Others want to change industry, geography and function, using the MBA to build a bridge over their professional hopes and fears. Some others focus on personal development and leadership skills. What the people who come to the IMD MBA have in common, however, is their curiosity and readiness to explore. And the Program caters to this desire.

The company engagement project (“summer internship”) is yet another opportunity for us to explore different industries and sectors. I was offered the opportunity to engage with Royal Dutch Shell, the Oil&Gas major, which was quite fortunate as I am keen to understand the fundamental sectors of the world economy, and those industries with the biggest impact on our everyday lives, and energy is definitely one of them. What better occasion than doing so through a project with one of the largest companies of the world (Shell is currently on nr.7, with USD 265bln in revenues in 2015).

Together with 3 MBA colleagues (Sumil Jain, Igor Popkov, Denis Borisenko), we have now been working on the topic of corporate alliances and strategic partnerships for the last 4 weeks. We were tasked to look at the best practices in various industries and the latest academic thinking, providing a number of recommendations to answer the following questions:

• How are partnerships managed in other industries?
  • How can they effectively be used to drive revenues and/or reduce costs?
  • How can multinationals partner with startups?
  • How to manage an ecosystem of partners including startups and corporations?
The experience so far has been intense but rewarding: despite the flexibility we had by working remotely from Switzerland, the dedication of our team to provide Shell with high-quality inputs has been substantial. At the same time, we were excited to work on a challenging and strategic subject, requiring us to look in depth at the drivers, challenges and potential future directions of a large integrated energy company such as Shell, particularly its current and potential future external relationship ‘universe’ across existing business lines and in the ‘new energy’ arena. In addition, of course, making connections with professionals in the industry has made our efforts worthwhile.

In the next weeks we will finalize our recommendations and present them to executives at Shell, and before we know it, we’ll be back in class with our friends – we all look forward to seeing them again!

Philipp

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Photo blog – Remebering class time  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2016, 05:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Photo blog – Remebering class time
Our program coordinator Max opened up the week by reminding us that this is one of the last times we will be be sitting in class all together. Time is running and the end of the year is unfortunately (who would have thought I would say that?!) approaching…

Here are some random picture from a time we already miss.

Fouad

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: IMD '17 (M)
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Calling all IMD Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2017!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 17 Aug 2016, 21:22
For those who want to meet current students and learn more about IMD MBA, check below IMD Discovery Expedition schedule in various cities all over the world.

Shanghai 24 August, 2016 18:00 - 21:00 MBA Discovery Expedition
Monterrey Mexico 25 August, 2016 18:00 - 21:00 MBA Discovery Expedition
Singapore 25 August, 2016 18:30 - 21:30 MBA Discovery Expedition
San Francisco 30 August, 2016 18:00 - 21:00 MBA Discovery Expedition
Tokyo 30 August, 2016 19:30 - 21:30 MBA Discovery Expedition
Dubai 30 August, 2016 18:00 - 21:00 MBA Discovery Expedition

http://www.imd.org/mba-admission-fees/#tab=4

Originally posted by vibis on 17 Aug 2016, 11:57.
Last edited by vibis on 17 Aug 2016, 21:22, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
We are back after summer projects!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2016, 12:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: We are back after summer projects!
Last week we were back to school, to our lovely Lorange room, where our name plates were patiently waiting for us on the same spots as prior to the summer break. Thanks to the MBA office, the first week was as intense as it used to be earlier this year: classes all days long on strategic marketing, finance, communications and change management. Cases, discussions, speakers, lots of new information…

May be the biggest impression for me was to see the whole class together again, to hear each others news – at this point I realized how dear these people are to my heart, how much we’ve already been through in a such relatively short time span of just seven months. Those cliché jokes in class “– Any questions? – Gustavo!” or “– Who volunteers? – Shashank!” and so on.

However, it’s time to build bridges between now and then: job search urgency is heating up. But how will I live without those 89 guys after another four months?

Will be back in two weeks.

Till soon,

Aysylu

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
And we’re off to the Discovery Trips!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2016, 07:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: And we’re off to the Discovery Trips!
I believe I mentioned before that IMD’s program is front-loaded, especially on the academic side. One of my favourite things about that is that we’re always looking at exciting things ahead. It’s almost like a reward system somehow. You go through the painful finance basics so that you can do exciting M&A simulations. You go through a lot of self assessment and then you start being exposed to senior executives and the IMD Alumni. You finish all exams so that you can devote your time to a company engagement project of your choice. And so on…

On that of looking forward to exciting parts, I don’t think anything can beat the expectations for the Discovery Expeditions! That’s the moment when we get split into 3 groups of 30 and fly to 1 of 3 exciting journeys around the world: Japan/China; Singapore/UAE (Dubai and Abu Dhabi) or Mexico/US (California).

Kudos to the MBA Office on the efforts to accommodate our preferences in the best way possible. No one got their last choice. I always wanted to go to Singapore, am all packed and very excited to be flying out later tonight!

It will be a very exciting program with many company visits, events, a shortened Navigating the Future event for the Alumni and some free time as well to get to know the different parts of the world.

The blog team has organized itself with volunteers as well so that you get pictures from all destinations on the go. Stay tuned! And don’t forget to sign up to our events and meet up if you’ll be in one of these destinations!

Wishing all my classmates an amazing trip and hoping we get to meet some of the blog readers around the globe!

Best wishes,

Sílvia

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
And we’re off to the Discovery Expeditions!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2016, 01:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: And we’re off to the Discovery Expeditions!
I believe I mentioned before that IMD’s program is front-loaded, especially on the academic side. One of my favourite things about that is that we’re always looking at exciting things ahead. It’s almost like a reward system somehow. You go through the painful finance basics so that you can do exciting M&A simulations. You go through a lot of self assessment and then you start being exposed to senior executives and the IMD Alumni. You finish all exams so that you can devote your time to a company engagement project of your choice. And so on…

On that of looking forward to exciting parts, I don’t think anything can beat the expectations for the Discovery Expeditions! That’s the moment when we get split into 3 groups of 30 and fly to 1 of 3 exciting journeys around the world: Japan/China; Singapore/UAE (Dubai and Abu Dhabi) or Mexico/US (California).

Kudos to the MBA Office on the efforts to accommodate our preferences in the best way possible. No one got their last choice. I always wanted to go to Singapore, am all packed and very excited to be flying out later tonight!

It will be a very exciting program with many company visits, events, a shortened Navigating the Future event for the Alumni and some free time as well to get to know the different parts of the world.

The blog team has organized itself with volunteers as well so that you get pictures from all destinations on the go. Stay tuned! And don’t forget to sign up to our events and meet up if you’ll be in one of these destinations!

Wishing all my classmates an amazing trip and hoping we get to meet some of the blog readers around the globe!

Best wishes,

Sílvia

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Monterrey  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2016, 17:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Monterrey
A quick update from the Americas team. We arrived in Monterrey and have already had the chance to witness non-stop large scale operations at Wal-Mart and Lego. Mighty impressive set-ups I must say.

Also I am impressed by the fact that how well the MBA education prepares us to engage in meaningful dialogue with people from different companies and industries. Having done both Wal-Mart and Lego cases in class, seeing these operations first hand was such a fine culmination of the learning process.

I was very pleasantly surprised by the Lego factory. The level of automation, precision and quality made it clear it was no child’s play.

More on the trip to follow from my fellow travellers. Watch this space!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Shanghai at a glance  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2016, 08:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Shanghai at a glance
We have been to Shanghai for three days, so far, but I feel like I know this place, people and the way business can be done here (of course, this is just my illusion, nurtured by incredibly intense schedule, which I appreciate so much, as I benefit from every moment).

We kicked off by visiting the office of Swissnex, an organization that is supporting collaboration of Swiss and Chinese entities in the areas of business, education etc. My framework of cultural stereotypes dissembles rather fast: innovations is China are not necessarily of adaptive nature, there are some real breakthroughs, like a WeChat platform. Again and again, we met fantastic people, who made their ways and sometimes did some radical changes in their lives. A fascinating story of entrepreneurship, of finding one’s way in the corporate world, or of identifying oneself as a multi-faceted personality – you name it. There is something very special in meeting those people all over the world, something that you can never read in a book or see in a movie – in a hand shake, and in looking into their eyes, when you say to yourself “Do I acknowledge and accept my true self the way this person does, and, if so, am I brave enough to do a ‘quantum leap’?” To tell you the truth, I’ve got some of the answers here, in Shanghai…

A few other questions were drilling my mind, while doing some sightseeing: why and for how long will we keep distinguishing emerging and emerged worlds and can we change the status quo; as a business leader and an expatriate, should one make an effort to assimilate and accept cultural differences; and, finally, what can I personally do and what is my over-professional purpose post-MBA?

Amazingly, these days, while the whole class is on the three Discovery destinations, our group is the first to start a day, then Singaporean group wakes up, and, lastly, the group in Mexico takes over the privilege of living another morning. Well, tomorrow we will be welcoming another precious day of the MBA program in the Country of the Rising Sun, and experiencing another verge of contrast and learning, challenge and exploration, networking and friendship.

Till soon,

Aysylu

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Photo blog – Sneak peek from the first days in Mexico  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2016, 17:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Photo blog – Sneak peek from the first days in Mexico
As Kunal mentioned it in his post, we are having a blast in Mexico.

Here are a few pics from our first couple of days hereImage

More to come soon!

Fouad

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Photo Blog – Singapore Discovery Expedition  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2016, 02:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Photo Blog – Singapore Discovery Expedition
Rakesh Renganathan, our Indian blogger at captainimd.tumblr.com, is on the Singapore Discovery Expedition with Silvia. Here are some of his photos of their experience so far…

GMAT Club Bot
Photo Blog – Singapore Discovery Expedition   [#permalink] 25 Aug 2016, 02:00

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12    Next  [ 232 posts ] 

Calling all IMD Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2017!!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Leadership