Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:03 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Re: Calling all IMD Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2017!! [#permalink]
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: ICP - Done!
It's been nearly two weeks since I've written a blog, and it's been an incredibly busy time since, as we've been finalising our International Consulting Project.

The ICP was certainly one of my highlights of the MBA experience so far - it was great to deepen my knowledge of the real estate sector, and also to work with such a fantastic time.  It was really wonderful to have the opportunity to travel so much in Europe - last week, we were in Oslo again to make our final presentation to our clients - who really made the experience so special by sharing so much about their business, and being so receptive to our ideas.

Once the ICP was over, it was time to spring back to work - we had a leadership 'experiential' on Saturday, which was a chance to give the people that we had worked with most closely during the year some valuable feedback.  A great way to wrap up the IMD leadership stream, and one of the elements of the course that really differentiates the IMD experience from other similar MBA courses.  I also had a final meeting with my leadership coach, who invariably provides fantastic insight into my future plans, and helps define my career goals.

So - this week, it's a day of presenting our ICP findings to our classmates tomorrow, and then the electives start right after that.  I can't say I'm looking forward to having a rigid 8am start time again - but I am looking forward to the electives for sure!

Until next time,

Nick.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: ICP closing dinner
​ICP has come to an end as Nick said in the previous post. To celebrate our achievement, the MBA office organized a closing dinner for us and the ICP project directors were also invited.

In addition to the dinner, each team prepared a sketch to present to the class. The idea was to show the memorable moments during the ICP experience in a funny way. Our team did a sketch about how our team interacted with our project director. There were teams telling us their interaction with their clients. There was one team using karaoke to sing a song expressing the end of the ICP. We saw the creative sides of each team. And the good thing was that after all the ups and downs during the past 7 weeks, we could still laugh about the difficult moments.

We will soon have our electives. And of course, additionally the job-searching is continuing. I will keep you posted soon!

Stephanie

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Hi from Germany
The end is in sight!

It's been incredibly busy during the last few weeks, with a packed schedule of electives - I haven't had a day off for around two weeks.  Normally, that would be a cause for much moaning on my part (!), but the electives have been so fascinating that I really don't mind.  I've been studying topics as diverse as Islamic Finance, Strategic Partnerships and Social Media Strategy.  It's been a great opportunity to 'deep-dive' into a few areas that particularly interest me, and will help me to be more effective during my forthcoming career.

On Friday I headed off to Germany with around 30 of my classmates.  We spent just one night in Berlin, before arriving in Hamburg last night, and then we are off to Munich tomorrow.  It's a chance to understand more about German business culture, and an opportunity to find out more about some titans of industry including Airbus.  And obviously, we are trying the local beer too!

Our groups is not the only cohort from IMD travelling right now - a team of 10 or so intrepid individuals are currently on an elective in Brazil, where our professor Carlos Primo Braga is taking the opportunity to leverage his contacts to product a great schedule for the group - they have also made it to the beach on at least one occasion!

In some very important news, a fantastic success is hot of the press at IMD.  Five of my classmates (Alex Knecht, Alex Krstevski, Hersh Shah, Jelmer Hoogendoorn & Tom Cohen) won the Rotterdam School of Management Private Equity contest.  They fought off strong competition from other business schools, including institutions well known for their focus on finance, and demonstrated that even thought IMD is small in size, we're still big hitters when it comes to our academic and technical abilities!  Well done to all the guys - you've done IMD proud!  We are celebrating on their behalf here in Hamburg.

More updates soon - for now, off to sample a key part of German culture - the beerhall!

Nick.
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Germany & Shell
I'm just back from Germany, where we had a fantastic time - the schedule was really hectic, but for those members of the class that weren't previously familiar with the country, it was a fantastic opportunity to find out more about the business landscape and the cultural highlights of the country.  For people like me who had travelled in Germany before, it was great to dig deeper into the business environment of Europe's economic powerhouse, and to discover what makes this country such a success these days.  We took in Berlin, Hamburg and Munich - and had another fantastic experience with our alumni, who hosted us at an event they had organised in Munich.  All in all, a fantastic trip, and incredibly well organised by my classmates Dennis, Elvin & Hisham.

Last week, the oil major Shell was on campus and it was an opportunity for those members of the class particularly interested in the energy sector to share ideas with some senior Shell executives.  My colleague Francesco wrote this update:

'Last week, a group of MBA students interested in the energy sector and the key debate topics around this industry teamed up with eight top HR executives from Shell in order to discuss the main challenges and opportunities facing the company.

During the MBA, we have spent much of the year studying how to analyse an industry, how to fuse financial concepts with business principals, how to lead and how to innovate.  Today was a key opportunity to put these elements together and discuss with top executives from Shell.

'Real World, Real Learning' isn't just IMD's slogan, but rather a clear statement of intent for the MBA course, which provides a unique educational experience and then provides many opportunities to bring this theory into the real business world, particularly towards the end of the year.

The event with Shell was a key highlight of my MBA - a once in a lifetime opportunity I will not forget.  The satisfaction of the and involvement of the executives was a confirmation of the quality of our ideas, and a great reward for the effort we had put in to this initiative.

In January I thought 'Real World, Real Learning' was just a nebulous concept.   It's not; it genuinely is the ethos of IMD.'

Thanks to Francesco for his perspective on a great event, and more updates from me soon as we approach the final week of the course!

Until next time,

Nick.
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Goodbye
​The MBA class of 2015 has graduated. The study rooms and lockers are empty, the auditorium is quiet, the campus feels strange.

Since the graduation ceremony on 4th December, MBAs have been passing by the office to say their final goodbyes before heading off to exciting new destinations – to see family, have fun or to prepare for their new job. We wish all of them the very best for their futures and hope that they will stay in touch – that we will see them during our travels or back here on campus for various events, that we will hear about their career successes, marriages and growing families.

But for now, I would like to thank Nick (Toubkin) and Stephanie for sharing their stories with us and allowing us to read about their experiences, and to Nick (Allan) for giving us a visual overview and a glimpse into the fun side of the program as well as the learning!

This is the final blog entry for 2015. Thank you to all of our readers for following this year’s adventure.  The next journey will start in early January, and we already have a diverse and enthusiastic blog team lined up - so watch this space!

Wishing you all a happy holiday season and successful 2016.

Suzanne
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: And goodbye from me!
Sitting here back in London, I can't believe what a fantastic year that I've had.  When people ask me what I did at IMD, it's truly difficult to remember all of the amazing experiences, from the discovery trip, to the study tour in Turkey, and the fantastic lecturers and guest speakers that we enjoyed.

But when people ask me what was the best bit of the IMD experience, it's an easy question to answer - it's the fantastic people that I've met along the way.  From the dedicated staff in the MBA office, to our brilliant academic staff, it was really the people that made the made the difference during the past year.  But the people that really defined the year are the 89 other exceptional individuals who graduated with me on the 4th December - I learnt more from these people than I could ever have imagined, and I am already looking forward to our planned reunion in Madrid in 2015 to find out the various ways that my global cohort are shaping the future of business.

Another question that I get asked now that I'm back, is whether I'd choose to go to do an MBA at IMD if I could choose again.  That's the easiest question of all to answer - it's a definitive 'YES!'. 

I am really sad to have left Lausanne, and am incredibly jealous of the incoming 2016 class - they don't know what an enriching time awaits them.  But what's clear to me is that whilst I've left Lausanne, IMD will always stay a part of me, as lifelong friends, a peerless network, and memories of a truly phenomenal year in Lausanne.

So I'm honored to pass the baton to next year's bloggers, and I can't wait to read about their fantastic experiences - watch this space!

From a festive London,

Nick.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V29
GPA: 3.8
WE:Project Management (Insurance)
Send PM
Kudos
Is there any assessment day in USA?
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Welcome to the IMD MBA Class of 2016
This is it. It’s really happening.
The Class of 2016 has officially kicked-off!

I am over the moon to be here and
to be able to share my MBA experience together with the Blog Team – which by
the fun we had taking the first group shots I can say is a great one!

Let me briefly introduce
myself: I am Brazilian, based in São Paulo and a passionate workaholic in
the Technology Industry, working for the past 8 years in LatAm’s #1 Business
Software company. From attending High School in an
American Boarding School in Switzerland to juggling three waiting jobs in
London or researching my family origins in Italy, a number of international
experiences have shaped who I am.

However, nothing compares to - hum
- a day in the IMD Foyer. No, really. It’s not because you’re talking to
89 people from all over the world. It’s because those people are some of the
most interesting and successful people from their countries. And they have
lived or worked in at least 4 or 5 other countries. And their vast backgrounds.
And their openness to share. AND we know we’re just scratching the surface.
Amazing!

When I first started my MBA
journey, a very experienced admissions coach said: "IMD is very unique and, unlike schools with larger classes, they never get it wrong in admissions. You
can be certain that whoever gets in will be incredible." I have to
say he was right!

Starting something I’ve been
planning for a long time brings out many different feelings, but most of all I
am very grateful for being here right now. An MBA admission is never a one-man
job. My loving husband put up with my
anxiety, lack of time and the inevitable changes ahead. Busy recommenders gave me their time and
valuable advice. My leaders trusted me with bold challenges and priceless
lessons. My teams gave me a daily chance to be a better leader. The IMD Alumni who never ceased to awe me with their humbleness, maturity and candor. And even those
who tried to convince me I was insane were an important part of the process.

Now it’s time to change seats,
buckle up and go deep into this unique and intensive program. Classes officially start tomorrow, so stay tuned!

Wishing you an amazing 2016,

Sílvia Simões
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: The journey begins
Last week IMD opened its gates to
the next generation of “90 exceptional people who will shape the future of
business”. The steps we took to cross over into IMD’s lakeside campus marked
the culmination of a long journey for many of us and the beginning of a new
adventure. As we stepped into the foyer and the lecture halls the reality of
the moment began to sink in. This was the moment we had been preparing for, for
months (or even years) and here it was. With over 40 nationalities represented
in a group of 90 people, these could have been the corridors of the United
Nations. A few nervous smiles were exchanged, handshakes were offered and
before we realized we were engulfed in an entirely new world. A world that will
be our home away from home for the next 12 months (or is it 11? time is flying
already!). And in case you haven’t noticed, I am delighted to be here. In fact
I am so excited that I even forgot to introduce myself – I am Kunal from India
and over the past 9 years I have lived and worked in Europe, Asia and Africa in
the energy industry. I am a chemical engineer by background (but they tell me
that shouldn’t be an issue as long as I remain open-mindedJ) and a die-hard Bob
Dylan fan.  

I feel truly privileged to be
your “window” into the IMD MBA program for the next 11 months. Together with
Silvia and the rest of the blog team we will make sure to bring to you “hot-off-the
press” updates from IMD. For the time being it should suffice to say that all
90 of us have survived the first two days of the “intensive” classes and we are
gearing up for our first set of group tasks later this week. More on that
later.

And don’t forget to let us know
your thoughts and reactions through the comment sections below.

Welcome onboard!

Director
Director
Send PM
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Rain and birds
​Hi! My name is Aysylu, I am
Russian. Born and raised in Ural, I witnessed crash of the Soviet empire and
formation of a new country. Being a third-generation MD I switched to
pharmaceuticals in marketing and sales. Meanwhile, I also lived for a couple of
years in Turkey. Not to forget, I am a mother of a teenager, suffering a one-year–long
separation for the sake of fulfilling my dream of studying at the IMD MBA.
Dual, yet integral in pursuing my vision, together with my blog teammates I
will share with you “life-changing” experience in the program.

It has been a second year of an economic crisis in my country and I am in Switzerland, having made a break
to work and family life. My first days in sunny Lausanne passed under a
relocation flag; cheerful gulls darted around and flocks of ravens jostled on a
neighboring roof. Later, while working on my online assignments, a milky, thick
and palpable fog descended the city and an existential question “why?” landed
my mind. Lonely flying of heavy and insolent gulls resembled mysterious patrol,
whereas flapping of wings of a raven behind my window seemed surrealistic: sense
of uncertainty and knowledge of having a lake in proximity evoked pictures of
the imaginary Solaris planet and symbolic video of Madonna’s “Frozen”. However,
decision had been taken and I looked forward to meet my new classmates and
school. Then endless rain came. Is it here to clean up my mind and soul? When
weather is so tightly linked to my state of mind, or vice versa, I wonder what
should I expect further from them both.

My classmates are impressive,
diverse and keen. Parties during the orientation week and night-paused buzzes in
chats helped us connect. In our class we have already sang our first “Happy
birthday”, at international hymn for individuality in a social context, directed
by our wonderful MBA office. And we tried irresistible chocolate cakes,
prepared by a team of careful MBA partners.

It is challenging to enter a
student mood and, surprisingly, analysis of my “native” industry under detailed
supervision of Prof. Ralf Boscheck, is a mix of intellectual struggle and
discoveries. Discussions with my Japanese and Indian neighbors during breaks help
me tackle some open questions. It appears that added value is measurable and
game theory can explain capricious behavior of my child. Today we have stepped into
team work. A lot of theoretical and practical learning!

Till soon,

Aysylu​
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Meet Rakesh and his blog
​Hello there!

Meet Rakesh and his blog (which I actually visited while I was a candidate and doing research on the assessment day! :) Thanks for the help, Rakesh!):

"Hello everyone, I’m Rakesh Renganathan. A
ship captain by profession and today, I proudly write my introduction as an IMD
MBA candidate.

After working at sea for close to 10 years,
I decided to look for a career ashore. After a lot of careful considerations, I
finally decided on doing an MBA to widen my horizon.  I was looking to share a class with people
from various backgrounds and nationalities.

Once things were clear in my mind as to what I expect out of an MBA,
IMD turned out to be the most obvious choice.

I started my own blog (captainimd.tumblr.com) back in May
2015 as soon as I was done with my assessment day and will be continuing it
throughout this year. The assessment day was so thorough and I learnt so much
more about IMD that it made me feel that I would be able to steer myself in to
my dream career if I got to be a part of the IMD MBA. A week after the
assessment day, I got the call from IMD and since then I have been waiting for
this very day to be “one of the 90 exceptional people who will shape the future
of business.”

I have always heard that MBA is a journey
in itself. Our journey at IMD has just begun. So, look forward to reading our
experiences during the year. Experience the MBA life at IMD through our eyes.

I wish everyone a very happy new year and
hope to see the IMD 2017 aspirants during the assessment day here at IMD. All
the best!!!

Rakesh"
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Let’s shoot… photos!
​Hello! My name is Fouad, and my
passion for photography brings me here today. I am one of the two blog photographers,
with Sean, my partner in crime. I am Lebanese and Canadian and am a management consultant
by profession.

I will go through my MBA journey my camera, thinking of you, our blog readers, hoping to be able
to show you much of our life here (the good and the bad) during our exciting year at IMD.

I look forward to sharing my photos
with you!

Fouad
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: First week, we all worked!

Fouad
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: What a week!
​Hello
there!

The first
week of classes sure honored the intense reputation of IMD! It is hard to
believe it's been only one week since I sat here excited about the first day of
classes.

Most of
our time was spent with (the amazing) Ralf Boscheck, our program director.
We've been working on an Strategic Industry Analysis that allowed us to already
work in groups, learn a lot from each other and spend some late nights at IMD.

It is
starting to feel more like a big family now, we begin to learn everyone's names
and backgrounds, chat on https://gmatclub.com/chat and help each other with deadline reminders
and sharing notes from the classes. The atmosphere is very friendly and not
competitive, which is another thing I love and chose IMD for. As a group we can
be so much stronger!

Speaking
of groups, the high point of the week for me (inside the classroom) was the
Leadership Stream details session. I had very high expectations of that part of
the program and they were overly met with the incredible Staff that will be
guiding us through the journey I believe to be the most lasting and valuable
here. IMD really goes above and beyond to help us become the best people (and
leaders) we can be. It is up to each of us to decide how deep we want to go,
how much we want to let go of our preconceptions and our "old ways". In less than 2 weeks we will already start with an intense experiential. Can't wait!

The high
point of the week (outside the classroom) was the Life Before Microsoft dinner,
when we grouped with our closer nationalities and gave our class a taste of the
culture and ways of doing business in our home countries. Not to mention the
FUN we had… Great party!!! You will soon see many pictures from the photo
bloggers. For now a special one I have with the Brazil+Portugal group with
Dominique Turpin, IMD's President (such a warm presence, everyone in our group
loved meeting him).

(Thales Crivelli, Carlos Borda, Leandro Veiga, Lucas Seoane, Gustavo Zanini, Felipe Berg, Dominique Turpin, me, Renato Gonzaga and Mateus Machado)

A presto!

Sílvia
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Introducing our photo-blogger for 2016 Sean Coyle
Please find below the introduction of Sean Coyle, who together with Fouad Younes will be, "your eyes" into the IMD 2016 MBA program.

“I am from Northern Ireland and have been working in Strategy Consulting for the last 7 years in China. I’ve come to IMD to gain some skills and perspective to be able to bring my career up to the next level (or three!) and explore opportunities in Europe. Over the next year while you toil away at GMAT and applications, with my camera I’ll try to be your eyes into this program. Well, at least one blurry eye, Fouad Younes will be the other good one. “ - Sean Coyle.
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Explore
The operating word for last week has to be “explore”. MBA
program’s brilliant course design encouraged us to explore many areas last
week. We began by exploring the depths of our own cultures, and as we came
together to share what we had learnt, we began to explore the cultural
histories of others in the class. What a fantastic experience that was! It isn’t
hard to predict that such exploration leads us to identify the various
differences in our cultures and backgrounds but what wasn’t obvious, and was
revealed along this journey, was not what differentiated us but that which
united us. As someone said during this session last week – it truly was a melting
pot – a melting pot that takes in “many” but produces “one”.

The exploration journey continued as we used the newly
acquired strategic analysis tools to dig deeper into the companies and
industries we have come from. Here again, unfolded a remarkable tapestry of
experiences and outlooks.

And then came the sessions that every IMD aspirant eagerly
looks forward to – Leadership. While the stream hasn’t begun yet, Prof.
Narasimhan, took the opportunity in the introductory session to urge us to
explore our drivers and motivations and gave us a sneak preview of the rich
journey that we will be embarking on very shortly.

We got to know our working groups for the first time and we
will soon be meeting the start-ups that we will be working with (yes we will
keep you posted – we are just as excited!). All in all it was an incredibly
full week. Having said that let me straight away bust a myth here – yes at IMD
we work hard but we party harder.

We wound up the week gyrating on pop numbers and yes no one
was exempt not even Ralf.

It was a fine week and taught us a lot about others but
importantly about ourselves!

I will be back with more tales shortly in the meantime do not
forget to check out the fantastic entries by:

·​     

Rakesh:
https://captainimd.tumblr.com/

·     

Jiaqing:
https://forum.chasedream.com/thread-1163964-1-1.html 

·     

and
our Japanese classmates: https://imdjapanclub.wordpress.com/

As always we wait to hear from you and hope you enjoy reading
these entries.

Kunal
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: The Earth is round
​Wise men say that to cognize
things does not necessarily need to physically experience them. For instance,
cosmologists don’t have to travel to another parts of the Universe to estimate
its size, chemists discover new elements without having actually seen them, or
doctors can treat without being ill. This mental diving is may be more
applicable to theory. However, quick plunge into cultures and understanding of
some business realities is possible without travel… by studying at the IMD MBA!
Last week culminated by a fantastic dinner, where for the first time in my life
I saw some live traditional dancing, mix of ancient traditions and
technological fun and so much more. I’ve travelled in a Space and Time Machine
and I guess it works like a centrifuge, as those 89 people in our classroom are
no longer strangers to me, those are My Classmates! I also noticed that people,
motivated to build on similarities, from sometimes competing, in a sense, countries
can “live life in peace”.

In terms of workload pressure is
increasing. The program is not only intense, but also amazingly multilayer: incredible,
how many dimensions of our development from theory to practice, from personal
to professional, from career to leadership development or from individual to team
work are comprised. This load is, indeed, significant, and it seems like many
of us recalibrate our internal fatigue indicators to work more, sleep less and
get more disciplined. Fortunately, we don’t compromise on food, as “The Meeting
Point” does its job –mmm - very well.

We’ve already worked in a couple
of groups and have got our first feeling on various industries and functions.
Before I used to think that with 10+ years I knew almost everything about my
industry; I must confess I was wrong. Views and backgrounds of my teammates strew
spices, and individual collisions toast the cake.

We are on our way to the entrepreneurship
projects and I can’t wait to get absorbed into this new state of mind and
business and country specifics.

Till soon,

Aysylu​
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts