GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 02:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Prepare a Concrete Application Plan!

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

30-minutes personal consultation for application planning.
  • MBA Admissions Consulting: Five-Day Special for Hourly Services

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

09:00 PM PST

10:00 PM PST

There’s still time to enhance your resume, essays, and applications! Avanti Prep is offering Hourly Services for a flat rate of $175 per hour (no minimum) – a significantly below-market offer for one of the most well-regarded services available.

Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !

new topic post reply Update application status  
Current Student
Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2015, 21:36
neo656 wrote:
aryabhata wrote:
DorkusMaximus wrote:
Quick question - on my application page, there is still a red cross against 'GMAT Score Reports'. I have mailed the school telling them about my alternate email id I used for testing on the GMAT and the one I have used for my application, at the start of last week. Haven't heard back from them though and of course, the red cross is still there. Is it the same with everyone for the score reports? Have those whose interviews have been set up, see this as well i.e. still awaiting score report but asked to schedule an interview?

I guess it doesn't really matter at this stage because it is mentioned that the official score reports are to be submitted once an applicant is awarded admission. During the application process, self reported scores suffice. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I think you're confusing Kellogg's requirements with Booth's. Kellogg needs official GMAt score reports while Booth doesn't.
http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/programs/full-time-mba/admissions/application-process.aspx
Read the section GMAT or GRE Scores, where it is clearly stated that, "We require GMAT or GRE scores for the One-Year MBA, Two-Year MBA and MMM programs. You must report your scores by the application deadline. JD-MBA applicants can only submit a GMAT score.

Please request that official test scores are sent to Kellogg by using one of the following school codes:

Our GMAT code is 6WZ-3J-89
Our GRE code is 7921"

Hi, thanks for your reply. I was going by the message being displayed on the application submission page. It says: Please note, unofficial test scores will be accepted during the review stage, however, all applicants should ensure that official test scores are sent to Kellogg for verification purposes."

now i guess i really screwed up
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2015, 23:37
I am an international applicant and haven't received any interview invite, does that mean a waiver and eventually a ding ? does interview waiver indirectly points to a ding.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Marshall PM '18

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2015, 23:46
I scheduled Skype interview on 3rd.

Nervous because I never had Skype interview before.
Director
Director
Concentration: Marketing
GPA: 3.4

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2015, 02:44
i may be wrong but i think you get informed if you receive an interview waiver.
chand002 wrote:
I am an international applicant and haven't received any interview invite, does that mean a waiver and eventually a ding ? does interview waiver indirectly points to a ding.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Strategy

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2015, 02:50
angelfire213 wrote:
chand002 wrote:

Yes, ideally they should send a mail, but since didn't hear anything till now wanted to check if anyone else has received a waiver mail.
Manager
Manager
The power of design thinking  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2015, 08:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: The power of design thinking
Greg Holderfield is director of the Segal Design Institute, clinical associate professor, and co-director of the MMM program. In the first of two posts, Holderfield discusses what makes design thinking so valuable.

AT ITS CORE, HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE DESIGN THINKING?

I view design thinking as the core process and mindset that enables creative solution-based innovation, which is developed and iterated with a focus on contextual human behavior.

It’s critical to understand that design thinking is process oriented with a structured framework that is built on a foundation of human-centered design and empathy.

The process itself is made up of six frames of learning:

• Understanding
  • Observing
  • Synthesizing
  • Ideating
  • Prototyping
  • Iterating

WHY IS DESIGN THINKING IMPORTANT TO INNOVATION?

Lack of empathy for the user or customer will limit outcome development. Design thinking, which is rooted in empathy, is a critical approach to need finding, problem reframing and opportunity development.

Empathy gained through the qualitative hands-on process of design thinking can provide innovators a more balanced perspective that I call “whole knowledge.” By whole knowledge, I mean knowledge that is acquired through quantitative historical data, as well as the knowledge acquired through qualitative user understanding. I would also define whole knowledge as knowledge that is balanced by varied perspectives and information.

A lack of “whole knowledge” can cloud the innovation decision-making process and often leads to unbalanced or less meaningful experience outcomes for the consumer.

Within design thinking, empathy creates new knowledge, which leads the design thinker to informed ideas and choices with greater potential to be meaningful and as a result, more innovative.

WHAT ROLE DOES DESIGN THINKING PLAY IN THE MMM CURRICULUM?

Design thinking is a critical component to the MMM program, as we strive to develop hybrid business leaders who can uniquely design, manage and integrate end-to-end solutions. Our MMM students earn both an MBA from Kellogg and a Master of Science in Design Innovation from the Segal Design Institute at the McCormick School of Engineering.

With that said, we have a robust fixed core of design-centric offerings as part of the MSDI degree. The hallmark of these is our Research-Design-Build course. The course is a dynamic, hands-on class structured as a studio practicum course that teaches design research and design thinking methods with a strong focus on innovation through in-context user needs.

• The first four weeks of the course rapidly introduce key methods that are applied in a series of design sprints focused on user desirability.
  • In the remaining six weeks, student teams apply these methods to a more robust challenge for an actual “client,” focused on user desirability, feasibility and business viability.
  • Throughout the six-week challenge students hone their design innovation skills and connect them to not only the user, but also the business. This past year we tackled two areas of opportunity for the YMCA-USA: knowledge management and membership growth.
Other core design courses in the program include Innovation Frontiers, Communication Design, Programming Design, Design of Networks, Organizing for Innovation and our capstone Integration Project course. All of these courses incorporate elements of the design thinking mindset and process into their subject areas.

Greg Holderfield‘s design work has been recognized globally, having received more than 25 design awards, including two prestigious German “Red Dot” awards, Japan’s “Good Design” award and the IF International Design Forum award. Most recently he was the vice president of design and strategy at ARC Worldwide / Leo Burnett, where he led breakthrough initiatives for McDonald’s, P&G, Kellogg’s, and Symantec.

Filed under: Academics, Business Insight, Career, Student Life Tagged: design innovation, design thinking, Innovation, MMM, research-design-build Image
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Intern
Intern
Schools: Haas '17 (S)
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2015, 13:43
So this may be a stupid question, but I got accepted to UCLA Anderson and their decision date is March 12. I'm waiting to hear back from Kellogg and it looks like they release Admits and Dings on the same day (March 25th). Has anyone ever heard of someone asking for an expedited decision?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2015, 14:41
jbartuccio wrote:
So this may be a stupid question, but I got accepted to UCLA Anderson and their decision date is March 12. I'm waiting to hear back from Kellogg and it looks like they release Admits and Dings on the same day (March 25th). Has anyone ever heard of someone asking for an expedited decision?

I think the converse (in other words, asking UCLA for an extension to put down a deposit) is more common. That said, if you prefer Kellogg, you could certainly try asking for an early decision and reevaluate based on their official answer.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
WE: Business Development (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2015, 16:01
highfive wrote:
jbartuccio wrote:

I think the converse (in other words, asking UCLA for an extension to put down a deposit) is more common. That said, if you prefer Kellogg, you could certainly try asking for an early decision and reevaluate based on their official answer.

I know plenty of people that have put down a 1st deposit after R1 admits, and then gotten into an R2 school and gone there.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2015, 16:03
Fosterizer wrote:
highfive wrote:
jbartuccio wrote:

I know plenty of people that have put down a 1st deposit after R1 admits, and then gotten into an R2 school and gone there.

Very true. Are you planning to do that with Ross or Fuqua? I'm debating whether to put down a R1 deposit myself...
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2015, 16:14
highfive wrote:

Very true. Are you planning to do that with Ross or Fuqua? I'm debating whether to put down a R1 deposit myself...

Haha - you're just going to forgot your R1 by ot putting a deposit? I'm def. going to put a R1 deposit as I'm quite confident I won't get into my R2 schools - they're big reaches for me. Also, Ross has a 05/01 deadline even for R1 admits, so there's some breathing room.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2015, 16:25
Fosterizer wrote:
highfive wrote:

Haha - you're just going to forgot your R1 by ot putting a deposit? I'm def. going to put a R1 deposit as I'm quite confident I won't get into my R2 schools - they're big reaches for me. Also, Ross has a 05/01 deadline even for R1 admits, so there's some breathing room.

I should clarify that I'm debating 1) whether to ask for an extension first (or just put down the deposit), and 2) where to put down the deposit. :wink: Like you, my R2 schools are stronger programs and I don't want to bet on getting into one of them... That's great that the Ross deadline is so late!
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2015, 16:36
highfive wrote:
Fosterizer wrote:
highfive wrote:

I should clarify that I'm debating 1) whether to ask for an extension first (or just put down the deposit), and 2) where to put down the deposit. :wink: Like you, my R2 schools are stronger programs and I don't want to bet on getting into one of them... That's great that the Ross deadline is so late!

Your stats are good and seems like you have good experience. I just don't have a shot at my R2 schools so I'll put a deposit without even considering my R2 chances haha.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
GRE 1: Q161 V160
GPA: 3.89
WE: Project Management (Other)

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2015, 17:03
highfive wrote:

Your stats are good and seems like you have good experience. I just don't have a shot at my R2 schools so I'll put a deposit without even considering my R2 chances haha.

I agree. Aren't the deposits non-refundable?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2015, 17:12
Casey10026 wrote:
highfive wrote:

I agree. Aren't the deposits non-refundable?

Yep, they are. Drop in the bucket compared to $200K though.
Current Student
Concentration: Technology
Schools: Anderson '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
WE: Information Technology (Internet and New Media)

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2015, 23:58
angelfire213 wrote:
chand002 wrote:

International applicant here as well... no interview invite yet. But no waiver either so I guess that's good? :P
Intern
Intern
Schools: Haas '17 (S)
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2015, 08:22
I think I may just call the Admissions office in early March and explain the situation and ask if they ever do expedited decisions based on these circumstances (I have to think this happens a lot). Anyone see anything wrong with this approach?
Director
Director
Concentration: Marketing
GPA: 3.4

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2015, 08:24
why wouldn't you just ask Anderson to extend the deadline by 2 weeks. That makes more sense and is more common imho.
jbartuccio wrote:
I think I may just call the Admissions office in early March and explain the situation and ask if they ever do expedited decisions based on these circumstances (I have to think this happens a lot). Anyone see anything wrong with this approach?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2015, 08:50
angelfire213 wrote:
why wouldn't you just ask Anderson to extend the deadline by 2 weeks. That makes more sense and is more common imho.
jbartuccio wrote:

I personally do not think it's appropriate to ask for an extension or an expedited decision from either school. What would you say, 'hey I don't want to put my deposit down because I'd rather go to another school?' That is why those deposit deadlines exist, they want you to commit.
Manager
Manager
10 tips to be an effective design thinker  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2015, 09:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: 10 tips to be an effective design thinker
Greg Holderfield is director of the Segal Design Institute, clinical associate professor and co-director of the MMM program. In the second of two posts, Holderfield examines what traits he thinks are essential to be an effective design thinker.

Part 1: The power of design thinking

My experience has taught me that, first and foremost, a design thinker must have an optimistic mindset.

When you are truly innovating, you are often in a space that is unknown and uncomfortable. It is difficult to effectively develop and push ideas forward if your mindset continues to cast doubt in the early stages of innovation. Therefore, it is critical to reframe your perspective around what is possible and that your actions and voice are both optimistic and encouraging.

Also, it is my belief that an individual must possess the following 10 traits to be an effective design thinker:

• An observing eye and a constant sense of wonder (what is possible, not what is probable)
  • An empathetic attitude towards people’s behavior and habits (qualitatively-based through in-context observation and discovery)
  • A questioning mind that goes beyond the obvious
  • Patience to remain in the problem space until the right questions are identified (problems are opportunities in disguise)
  • A holistic approach to problem solving
  • A willingness to experiment and build (doing!)
  • A passion for team-based collaboration that puts the user at the center of the opportunity challenge
  • A willingness to always be sharing
  • An acceptance of the messy (design thinking is not neat)
  • A commitment to lifelong learning
Greg Holderfield‘s design work has been recognized globally, having received more than 25 design awards, including two prestigious German “Red Dot” awards, Japan’s “Good Design” award and the IF International Design Forum award. Most recently he was the vice president of design and strategy at ARC Worldwide / Leo Burnett, where he led breakthrough initiatives for McDonald’s, P&G, Kellogg’s, and Symantec.

Filed under: Academics, Business Insight, Career, Student Life Tagged: design innovation, design thinking, Innovation, MMM Image
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

GMAT Club Bot
10 tips to be an effective design thinker &nbs [#permalink] 28 Jan 2015, 09:00

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  75   76   77   78   79  ...  105    Next  [ 2093 posts ] 

Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Gnpth, DigitsnLetters, hanamana

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap