GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Dec 2018, 00:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • MBA Admissions Consulting: Five-Day Special for Hourly Services

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

09:00 PM PST

10:00 PM PST

There’s still time to enhance your resume, essays, and applications! Avanti Prep is offering Hourly Services for a flat rate of $175 per hour (no minimum) – a significantly below-market offer for one of the most well-regarded services available.
  • R1 Admission Decisions: Estimated Decision Timelines and Chat Links for Major BSchools

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

From Dec 5th onward, American programs will start releasing R1 decisions. Chat Rooms: We have also assigned chat rooms for every school so that applicants can stay in touch and exchange information/update during decision period.

Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2014, 05:53
I got my interview next monday. How many interviews are there?
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2014, 05:55
Hello Serza : One year Program or 2 year Program ? When did you submit your application if we can know?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2014, 05:57
1 Year Program, I submitted it on the 18th of September, and did my video essay on the 24th. So a few days in advance, I got notified on Monday.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2014, 06:00
Congrats... Do well.. all the best.. Let us know how the interview was..
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2014, 06:04
The interview is scheduled offline or online ? I understand that there is only one round of interview.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2014, 06:34
what do you mean offline or online? Its at an alumnus's office.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2014, 06:58
Wanted to know if it was Skype interview or a face to face one. Great. All the best.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
President Obama thanks a soldier  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2014, 07:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: President Obama thanks a soldier

Through nine years of service in the United States Army and multiple combat tours, I have been graciously thanked for my service by a great number of friends and strangers. Never did I expect one of those people to be the President of the United States.

This past Thursday, President Barack Obama visited the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University, where he delivered a speech about the national economy. Afterward he shook hands with a limited number of audience members. Before I knew it, the Commander in Chief stood less than two feet from me. Now was the time to say something to the most powerful person in the world.

I’ve got two seconds.

What do I say?

Before I answer that question, let me answer this one: How did I get into the middle of this? The short answer is that the White House Staff asked for the names of three Kellogg veterans to be part of the President’s visit, and as Kellogg student body president, my name was submitted.

[b]MEETING MR. PRESIDENT[/b]

With a special ticket to the front row, my good friend and I decided that, despite our front-row status, we would get in line early for the speech. After all, why not wait in line an extra hour or two for an increased chance of shaking the President’s hand?

We were let in to Cahn Auditorium and secured the premium location: First row, front and center. As we sat waiting, my friend, a perennial sports fan, told me he was going to ask the President what his top picks were for college football. While I encouraged him to keep it brief, I thought it better to make a statement than to ask a question.

Shortly after the Pledge of Allegiance – recited by Zach Frisbie, president of the Kellogg Veterans Association – and the National Anthem, a suited gentleman scurried across the stage and placed the Presidential Seal in its proper location on the podium. Enter, Mr. President. As his speech progressed, I paid attention to our country’s landmark economic achievements that he outlined. Yet in the back of my mind I knew that, given the chance to say anything, I still had not decided what to say.

[b]THOSE TWO WORDS[/b]

As an officer and a soldier for the past nine years, I have a unique perspective on the office of the President. We have to live dual lives when it comes to the intersection of our mission and politics. Be the Commander in Chief George W. Bush or Barack Obama, as a soldier, it is not my place to judge the mandate of the American people or the intent of the President. Our place is to defend the constitution and execute the mission.

Some days I put on my citizen hat and debate the merits of this policy or that. An informed citizen is the core of a healthy democracy after all. But my soldier hat is heavier. It is a hat that my life, and the lives of my soldiers have depended on, and it is one I hold dear.

Looking back, I always shied away from being thanked for my service. A “thank you” always makes a soldier feel good. There is no doubt about it. Yet, that isn’t why we serve. I think most soldiers are properly humble in this regard. We serve for the challenge, the excitement and the honor. Every time I am thanked I can’t help but think that my endeavors were nothing special, that anyone in my shoes would have done the same things.

After the President finished his speech, he took the stairs to his right and walked toward all of us in the front row. As he approached me, I realized this was a simple moment for a man of great importance and a moment of great importance for a simple man. Keep it short. Be direct. Be polite.

So here is what happened:

Me: “Sir, as a veteran and Kellogg student president, it is an honor to have you here today.”

President Obama: “Oh, you’re a veteran? Where’d you serve?

Me: “Combat tours in Iraq and Afghanistan.”

President Obama: Turns to a Secret Service Member. “Hey Lenny, you got a coin?”

After receiving the Presidential Challenge coin, the President places the coin in his right hand and presents it to me in proper military fashion.

President Obama: “Thank you for your service.”

Me: “Thank you, sir.”

[b]THE PRESIDENTIAL CHALLENGE COIN[/b]

Commander challenge coins are a long-standing tradition in the military. Every commander of worth has a coin for her or his command, and it is every soldier’s goal is to collect as many coins, from as high a rank as possible. Coins are awarded at the end of one’s tenure in a unit for excellent service. They also are occasionally handed out “on the spot” to reward a soldier in the moment.

During full dress mess events, it is customary for all soldiers to bring their coin of most significance. Soldiers can “challenge” others with their coin. The soldier with the highest ranked coin wins, and the loser buys the drinks. Receiving the President’s coin is not only a great patriotic honor from the Commander in Chief, but in essence, it is a lifetime ticket to coin victories and free drinks at military galas.

I was basically in shock. I expected to make a short statement, receive a pleasantry, hopefully get a good photo and watch him move on. To have him stop, ask me about my service, and then present his coin to me in the proper military “coin in the hand shake” fashion, as if I was part of some elite fraternity, was personally awe-inspiring. It happened so fast that in the moment, my exterior was the confident military officer ready for anything, yet part of me was like, “holy $%*#, this is not happening.”

My plan is to resign my commission as a US Army Captain in July 2015 when I graduate from Kellogg and begin a new career in investment banking. I loved my time in the Army; it has shaped me as the father and leader I am today. Yet I feel complete and fulfilled in my service.

And I can honestly say that I never need to be thanked for my service again, as I got the ending that every soldier deserves: a personal thank you from the Commander in Chief.

Benjamin Cushman Dowell is a second-year student in Kellogg’s Full-Time MBA Program. He is also the president of the Kellogg Student Association.

Looking for more similar stories? Don’t miss second-year student Natalie Bookey Baker explaining “Why I left the White House to attend Kellogg.”

Filed under: Academics, Admissions, Career, Student Life Tagged: 2Y, KSA, Obama, President Obama, veterans Image
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2014, 09:32
sundaresa87 wrote:
Wanted to know if it was Skype interview or a face to face one. Great. All the best.

This depends very much on your location. When I had applied last year, I was interviewed through Skype, since I was in a remote location and they did not have any alumni members here.

Get a current MBA to help you prepare your application http://www.admithour.com/

Watch our explainer video to learn how it works

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2014, 11:02
What are people's thoughts on connecting to your interviewer on LinkedIn?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2014, 13:04
I have my interview next Tuesday. Flying to Chicago from Toronto. Jitters.
Kellogg Thread Master
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V40
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2014, 13:11
bml1105 wrote:
That's what I thought. So for anyone that hasn't heard about an interview doesn't need to worry!

Waiver means they are not interested in interviewing that individual. He or she jut isn't worth their limited resources.

So waiver is kinda an early notification of a ding.

All that matters, comes after the word 'but'.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: HBS '17 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V41
WE: Consulting (Transportation)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2014, 19:02
phlaym39 wrote:
What are people's thoughts on connecting to your interviewer on LinkedIn?

I certainly would not do so before meeting them, although feel free to look them up.

My interviewer is from the company and office I said I wanted to work for on my application. I wonder if Kellogg does that on purpose...
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE: Sales (Other)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2014, 19:11
finmaster wrote:
bml1105 wrote:
That's what I thought. So for anyone that hasn't heard about an interview doesn't need to worry!

Waiver means they are not interested in interviewing that individual. He or she jut isn't worth their limited resources.

I thought waivers were only for people in very remote areas. People in the US and major cities shouldn't be getting waivers should they?

“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” ― Ellie R.

Kellogg Thread Master

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2014, 19:36
bml1105 wrote:
finmaster wrote:
bml1105 wrote:

I thought waivers were only for people in very remote areas. People in the US and major cities shouldn't be getting waivers should they?

Actually they do. Like I said, adcom has very limited interview resources. They do not and would not interview someone they don't find prima facie interesting.

Retired Moderator
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE: Sales (Other)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2014, 20:54
Oh, sorry for giving false advice.

Well I'm glad I passed the first little test. Hopefully everyone else starts getting their interview invites shortly!

“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” ― Ellie R.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V43
GPA: 3.45

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2014, 21:28
I am copying a post from last year's thread, hope this will be helpful to Indian applicants (note that this is not my insight but of the guy who posted this):

Quote:
To everyone applying from India. I am a reapplicant and hence am acquainted with how the process works. Let me detail it as I am sure it will calm some nerves:

1. Kellogg, by design, interviews each applicant. However, in areas of high demand of interviews such as India, it is not possible for them to match their alumni to each applicant as each alumni can do only as many interviews
2. Once both Part 1 and Part 2 are submitted, one of the following three scenarios will occur:

i. You will be invited to interview on a day in late Oct/Early Nov. This is essentially an interview day - many alumni will gather at a hotel and many applicants will be interviewed. No clear formula on how the invitees are decided, but I think it depends on who submtited Part 1 earlier as from Kellogg's vantage point everyone has to be interviewed and hence no one is at a higher or lower priority at that point. Once the interview has been completed, the adcom will review your essays and recommendations and you then sit tight until the decision date to hear back from them.

ii. You will get an interview waiver. The Kellogg team does NOT read an applicant's file until their interview is complete. Hence, to avoid delays, they start reading the application first for those in India who weren't sent invited in the first go. The waiver does NOT affect your application negatively - it just means that they are waiving your interview in order to begin reviewing your application

iii. If they like your application, you will receive an invitation to interview. This will be a one to one with an alumnus here, or a Skype with the adcom in Chicago

iv. It may also happen that you don't get this invite after the waiver, in which case it is safe to assume you have been dinged

3. Hence, unlike other countries, in India Kellogg does NOT interview everyone. Also, most people receive a waiver which can then convert/not convert into an interview invite at a later stage.
4. You will NOT be admitted to the program without an interview. Hence, if after the waiver you do not receive an invite, it means you have been dinged.
5. Dates: Please read last year's thread. If I recall correctly, people received the first invites 2 weeks after the Part 2 deadline. People who first received a waiver and then an invite (such as me) kept hearing throughout November. I got my invite around Mid Nov.
6. Hence, if by end Nov you haven't heard from them after a waiver, safe to move on to alternate plans
7. Most people in India will get a waiver - it will test your nerves (tested mine) but it is actually a blessing in disguise. If you receive an invite after a waiver, that means the adcom liked your application and wants to know more - that is a positive sign any day of the year

Hope this answers your queries. Indian applicants should NOT compare their interview timeline to foreign applicants.
Kellogg Thread Master

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2014, 21:31
bml1105 wrote:
Oh, sorry for giving false advice.

Well I'm glad I passed the first little test. Hopefully everyone else starts getting their interview invites shortly!

Naaa. Of course what I'm saying is just my opinion based on what makes sense to me.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2014, 03:00
So this means I have been invited to an interview, without them even reading my application? Whats the point? Just to give extra motivated students an advantage and cut off those who are not that interested?
Manager
Manager
GMAT 3: 730 Q49 V41
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2014, 05:51
Serza wrote:
So this means I have been invited to an interview, without them even reading my application? Whats the point? Just to give extra motivated students an advantage and cut off those who are not that interested?

Kellogg like Tuck tries to interview every candidate possible before making a decision. The interviews are essentially an additional data point and are blind.

Anyone from London received anything about off campus? I've tried to get in touch with my interviewer but no luck as yet. Not sure what to do...
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 ! &nbs [#permalink] 09 Oct 2014, 05:51

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  9   10   11   12   13  ...  105    Next  [ 2093 posts ] 

Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Gnpth, DigitsnLetters, hanamana

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap