GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Dec 2018, 06:39

R1 Decisions:

Michigan Ross Chat (US calls are expected today)  |  UCLA Anderson Chat  (Calls expected to start at 7am PST; Applicants from Asia will hear first)

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • MBA Admissions Consulting: Five-Day Special for Hourly Services

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

09:00 PM PST

10:00 PM PST

There’s still time to enhance your resume, essays, and applications! Avanti Prep is offering Hourly Services for a flat rate of $175 per hour (no minimum) – a significantly below-market offer for one of the most well-regarded services available.
  • R1 Admission Decisions: Estimated Decision Timelines and Chat Links for Major BSchools

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

From Dec 5th onward, American programs will start releasing R1 decisions. Chat Rooms: We have also assigned chat rooms for every school so that applicants can stay in touch and exchange information/update during decision period.

Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !

new topic post reply Update application status  
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE: Sales (Other)
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2014, 06:21
dtse86 wrote:
Hey, did anyone call their interviewer? I got a northwestern email address, and I'm not sure if my interviewer still uses that.

I'm sure if Northwestern sent you that email address, the interviewer will be checking it.

“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” ― Ellie R.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: HBS '17 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Transportation)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2014, 07:02
bml1105 wrote:
dtse86 wrote:
Hey, did anyone call their interviewer? I got a northwestern email address, and I'm not sure if my interviewer still uses that.

I'm sure if Northwestern sent you that email address, the interviewer will be checking it.

Agreed. Mine was a Northwestern email address. Usually these addresses are just skins that feed to their personal email. I emailed the Northwestern address and my interviewer responded by Gmail.

I just had my interview, went really well. Lasted almost an hour, but a lot of it was because we were chatting about various things. I would say only 4-5 questions total, no curve balls. Every question I was asked was totally expected (e.g. walk through resume, why kellogg?, etc.)

Good luck to everyone else!
Manager
Manager
Don’t forget: Always ask the customer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2014, 08:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Don’t forget: Always ask the customer

First-year student Rohan Rajiv is blogging once a week about important lessons he is learning at Kellogg.

When we encounter a situation or problem, we always have an intuitive response. And, one of the biggest learnings in the first two weeks of our marketing management class has been to remind ourselves to “ask the customer.” This is because many of the decisions we make involve other people as our customer – e.g., decisions we make within our companies that impact our customers, consulting advice we give to clients, and other help/advice we offer to friends or family.

“Ask the customer” doesn’t always translate literally to asking the customer what they might want. It involves really understanding the person/organization we’re creating a solution for.

The best illustration of this is from an excellent TED talk by Rory Sutherland

“Here is one example. This is a train which goes from London to Paris. The question was given to a bunch of engineers, about 15 years ago, “How do we make the journey to Paris better?” And they came up with a very good engineering solution, which was to spend six billion pounds building completely new tracks from London to the coast, and knocking about 40 minutes off a three-and-half-hour journey time. Now, call me Mister Picky. I’m just an ad man … but it strikes me as a slightly unimaginative way of improving a train journey merely to make it shorter. Now what is the hedonic opportunity cost on spending six billion pounds on those railway tracks?

“Here is my naive advertising man’s suggestion. What you should in fact do is employ all of the world’s top male and female supermodels, pay them to walk the length of the train, handing out free Chateau Petrus for the entire duration of the journey. Now, you’ll still have about three billion pounds left in change, and people will ask for the trains to be slowed down.”

We’re wired to think of situations from a specific point-of-view. I hesitate to even call it our point of view because, sometimes, we take advice we receive too literally and forget to filter it to suit our own style. In short, our intuitive responses can make us inadequate givers or takers of advice.

So, the next time you’re making a decision that influences a customer, take a moment to reject the intuitive response. Take a moment to think about how the customer behaves – ignore what they say and listen to what they do. It is likely you will find a more effective answer that way.

Rohan Rajiv  is a first-year student in Kellogg’s Full-Time Two-Year Program. Prior to Kellogg he worked at a-connect serving clients on consulting projects across 14 countries in Europe, Asia, Australia and South America. He blogs a learning every day, including his MBA Learnings series, on www.ALearningaDay.com.

Filed under: Academics, Student Life Tagged: 2Y, MBA Learnings, Two-Year Image
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2014, 08:47
Interview with an alum scheduled for next week!

...When I'm sick I just stop being sick...and be Awesome instead...True Story...

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q45 V41
GPA: 3
WE: Engineering (Military & Defense)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2014, 09:42
bml1105 wrote:
fbpointgod10 wrote:
Just had my off-campus interview. An alum in Seattle.

Why MBA? Why Kellogg?
Have you spoken to alums or current students? What have they said?
Positives and negatives of Kellogg?
Leadership style? Example
How have you performed compared to your peers? Example
What will you contribute?
What will you teach?
Anything we miss?
Any other questions?

He recommended that I really research negatives of each school to better understand "fit".

Lasted 40 min.

It was fairly laid back. I had to pause a couple of times to formulate my answers. Didn't seem like he held that against me.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Posted from my mobile device

Thanks!!! The what will you teach question is interesting. I wonder how to separate that from what we'll contribute.

I think the difference that the interviewer was looking for was, what will I offer in classroom participation and how will I be involved in the extracurricular stuff. At least that's how I approached it. This was one of the questions that I had to pause to think about.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V42
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.9
WE: Analyst (Other)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2014, 11:04
Interview with an alum scheduled for next Tuesday in Tampa, FL!
Manager
Manager
#MyKellogg Photo of the Week: Oct. 10  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2014, 12:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: #MyKellogg Photo of the Week: Oct. 10

Congrats to @ejbert0, winner of the @KelloggSchool #MyKellogg photo of the week contest for this picture of a flag football game on a beautiful fall day on Northwestern’s lakeside campus. The lighthouse in the background is Grosse Point Lighthouse, which was built in 1873 as the lead lighthouse marking the approach to Chicago. Keep taking pictures of your life at Kellogg and tag them with #MyKellogg, and maybe we’ll highlight your picture in the coming weeks.

View the picture on Instagram

Follow @KelloggSchool on Instagram to get more snapshots of life at Kellogg

Filed under: Student Life Tagged: #MyKellogg, Photo of the week Image
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2014, 03:21
Any idea if the interviewer has seen the video essay?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2014, 07:00
PMD8833 wrote:
Any idea if the interviewer has seen the video essay?

If off-campus, then highly unlikely. They don't even get your CV. You need to send it to them. If on-campus and with an admissions officer, then it's possible, but I wouldn't count on it.
Manager
Manager
Meet Kellogg’s 2015 Siebel Scholars  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2014, 08:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Meet Kellogg’s 2015 Siebel Scholars

Each year, 85 graduate students from around the world are selected based on outstanding academic performance and leadership. Each receives a $35,000 award toward their final year of studies.

Kellogg’s 2015 Siebel Scholars from the Full-Time Program are:

JOSE KUNNACKAL ’15 

Prior to Kellogg, Kunnackal held successful technology management positions at Motorola and startup Trilibis. He serves as the Vice President of Industry Relations for the Kellogg High Tech club, which aims to connect business students interested in technology with top-tier firms. He also acts as a peer coach for incoming students. He holds a master’s degree in Computer Science from the Singapore-MIT Alliance as well as an undergraduate degree in Computer Engineering with First Class Honors from NTU, Singapore.

KATHERINE REHBERGER ’15

Rehberger currently serves as president of the Kellogg Impact Consulting Club and as academic director of the Healthcare Club. She interned in USAID’s Bureau for Global Health and led two initiatives to build more effective community health worker programs in developing countries, with a specific focus on Liberia. Prior to Kellogg, she worked as a consultant at the Boston Consulting Group, focusing on the healthcare industry. Rehberger graduated Magna Cum Laude from the University of Notre Dame, where she majored in Economics, Political Science and Computer Applications, and studied abroad in East Africa.

JOSHUA REILLY ’15

Prior to Kellogg, Reilly worked for RoundTable Healthcare Partners, a healthcare-focused private equity firm, where he specialized in acquiring middle-market pharmaceutical companies. He is spending his summer with Renaissance Pharma, working on a generic drug pipeline that will drive down costs in the U.S. healthcare system. He has leadership positions in both the Healthcare and Private Equity clubs. He holds an A.B. cum laude in Economics and a Certificate in French from Harvard University, where he helped lead student radio station WHRB.

RYAN SHAIN ’15

Shain is in the dual-degree MMM program with Kellogg and the McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Science. He serves as a director for the Kellogg Innovation Network, Big Data & Analytics Club and Kellogg Rugby Club while also serving in various leadership capacities in admissions recruiting. Prior to Kellogg he founded an eLearning company that helped over 30,000 clients meet federal requirements in safety training. He also was a consultant in the Strategy & Operations practice of Deloitte Consulting. He graduated Summa Cum Laude from the University of Maryland.

CHRISTEN TINGLEY ’15

In her first year at Kellogg, Tingley served as the co-chair of Day At Kellogg. In this role she managed a 13-student executive committee responsible for planning two weekends for admitted students. She also served as a director in the High Tech Club, as a technology representative in the Kellogg Student Association, and as a co-leader of the week-long, student-run technology trek. Tingley graduated from Duke University with a degree in Public Policy Studies. Prior to Kellogg, Christen worked in education reform at the New York City Department of Education and at Student Achievement Partners, an education non-profit. She interned with McKinsey & Company in their Chicago office.

MEET PAST SCHOLARS:

Filed under: Academics, Student Life Tagged: full-time, full-time mba, Siebel Scholar Image

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Sustainability, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2014, 08:01
finmaster wrote:
Any internationals (In India, may be?) got invites yet?

Nope :x
Manager
Manager
#MyKellogg Photo of the Week: Oct. 10  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2014, 16:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: #MyKellogg Photo of the Week: Oct. 10

Congrats to @ejbert0, winner of the @KelloggSchool #MyKellogg photo of the week contest for this picture of a flag football game on a beautiful fall day on Northwestern’s lakeside campus. The lighthouse in the background is Grosse Point Lighthouse, which was built in 1873 as the lead lighthouse marking the approach to Chicago. Keep taking pictures of your life at Kellogg and tag them with #MyKellogg, and maybe we’ll highlight your picture in the coming weeks.

View the picture on Instagram

Follow @KelloggSchool on Instagram to get more snapshots of life at Kellogg

Filed under: Student Life Tagged: #MyKellogg, Photo of the week Image

Manager
Manager
Meet Kellogg’s 2015 Siebel Scholars  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2014, 16:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Meet Kellogg’s 2015 Siebel Scholars

Each year, 85 graduate students from around the world are selected based on outstanding academic performance and leadership. Each receives a $35,000 award toward their final year of studies.

Kellogg’s 2015 Siebel Scholars from the Full-Time Program are:

JOSE KUNNACKAL ’15 

Prior to Kellogg, Kunnackal held successful technology management positions at Motorola and startup Trilibis. He serves as the Vice President of Industry Relations for the Kellogg High Tech club, which aims to connect business students interested in technology with top-tier firms. He also acts as a peer coach for incoming students. He holds a master’s degree in Computer Science from the Singapore-MIT Alliance as well as an undergraduate degree in Computer Engineering with First Class Honors from NTU, Singapore.

KATHERINE REHBERGER ’15

Rehberger currently serves as president of the Kellogg Impact Consulting Club and as academic director of the Healthcare Club. She interned in USAID’s Bureau for Global Health and led two initiatives to build more effective community health worker programs in developing countries, with a specific focus on Liberia. Prior to Kellogg, she worked as a consultant at the Boston Consulting Group, focusing on the healthcare industry. Rehberger graduated Magna Cum Laude from the University of Notre Dame, where she majored in Economics, Political Science and Computer Applications, and studied abroad in East Africa.

JOSHUA REILLY ’15

Prior to Kellogg, Reilly worked for RoundTable Healthcare Partners, a healthcare-focused private equity firm, where he specialized in acquiring middle-market pharmaceutical companies. He is spending his summer with Renaissance Pharma, working on a generic drug pipeline that will drive down costs in the U.S. healthcare system. He has leadership positions in both the Healthcare and Private Equity clubs. He holds an A.B. cum laude in Economics and a Certificate in French from Harvard University, where he helped lead student radio station WHRB.

RYAN SHAIN ’15

Shain is in the dual-degree MMM program with Kellogg and the McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Science. He serves as a director for the Kellogg Innovation Network, Big Data & Analytics Club and Kellogg Rugby Club while also serving in various leadership capacities in admissions recruiting. Prior to Kellogg he founded an eLearning company that helped over 30,000 clients meet federal requirements in safety training. He also was a consultant in the Strategy & Operations practice of Deloitte Consulting. He graduated Summa Cum Laude from the University of Maryland.

CHRISTEN TINGLEY ’15

In her first year at Kellogg, Tingley served as the co-chair of Day At Kellogg. In this role she managed a 13-student executive committee responsible for planning two weekends for admitted students. She also served as a director in the High Tech Club, as a technology representative in the Kellogg Student Association, and as a co-leader of the week-long, student-run technology trek. Tingley graduated from Duke University with a degree in Public Policy Studies. Prior to Kellogg, Christen worked in education reform at the New York City Department of Education and at Student Achievement Partners, an education non-profit. She interned with McKinsey & Company in their Chicago office.

MEET PAST SCHOLARS:

Filed under: Academics, Student Life Tagged: full-time, full-time mba, Siebel Scholar Image

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2014, 01:33
ankurq7 wrote:
finmaster wrote:
Any internationals (In India, may be?) got invites yet?

Nope :x

Me Neither!! :(
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q33 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2014, 13:58
I requested to be interviewed in a fairly rural part of the country. As I don't want to risk the chance of having the interview waived, should I proactively contact the admissions office and let them know I would be willing to be interviewed in the nearest large city? Or is this something that they should be contacting me about if they are interested in application?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Hospitality and Tourism)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2014, 19:43
Any one from India received the call as yet
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2014, 22:26
therock99 wrote:
Any one from India received the call as yet

None that I have heard of yet!!
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V42
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V44
WE: Analyst (Other)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2014, 05:59
downeaster wrote:
I requested to be interviewed in a fairly rural part of the country. As I don't want to risk the chance of having the interview waived, should I proactively contact the admissions office and let them know I would be willing to be interviewed in the nearest large city? Or is this something that they should be contacting me about if they are interested in application?

How far are you from the nearest "large city"? I think they assume you are willing to drive a couple of hours for the interview. If you are 2 hours away from a big city, I think they'll figure it out, but if you are really far away from a large city I would contact admissions and let them know you're willing to travel.

I'm in Orlando, and they set me up with an alum in Tampa (an hour and a half away).
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2014, 06:48
I survived my 5 weeks of applications.... I'm BACK!!! My interview is in a couple of weeks and I CANNOT WAIT!!!

Very excited to check out this school!
Manager
Manager
My introduction to “omitted variable bias”  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2014, 07:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: My introduction to “omitted variable bias”

First-year student Rohan Rajiv is blogging once a week about important lessons he is learning at Kellogg. Read more of his posts here.

One of the nicest things about being in graduate management school is that the classes have a lot to do with many of the things I have been reading about over the past few years. So, I’m excited to share some of my favorite learnings from classes under the “MBA Learnings” series.

Today’s learning is a concept called “Omitted variable bias.” The origin of this idea lies in statistics but we all see this nearly every day of our lives. Most of the false claims we hear fall prey to omitted variable bias. And, let’s face it, we hear many false claims.

Here’s an example of a claim: “People who eat _____ (insert healthy product) have low cholestrol/better health in some other way.” That might be true on the surface, but the equation misses variables like the person’s existing health and the amount of time they exercise. Without considering the entire picture, the claim is false. Badly conducted studies see one event frequently connected to another and incorrectly assume one event causes the other.

The omitted variable bias, thus, points to our tendency to frequently miss the entire picture. An application that comes straight to mind is when we interview for a new job/role. If things go well, we feel really pleased with ourselves (“I prepared really well”) and, when things go bad, we feel demoralized. There are a couple of important variables we often neglect:

1. The biases of our interviewers. Companies and interviewers select people they “get.” If your interviewers are strait-laced suit-wearing types, the chances that you’ll get a job you are well qualified for in jeans and a t-shirt is low. You only really influence one part of the outcome of an interview. A lot lies in the hands of your interviewers.

2. The culture of the firm. The interview process beautifully illustrates the power of culture. If a firm has a fairly homogeneous culture and, let’s face it, most great firms do. Then, being on the right side of the culture line puts you in great stead. If you have a “Googliness” rating of 9/10, you are likely going to be a hit with most of your interviewers at Google.

3. The dynamics within the firm. There’s a lot going on within the firm – internal candidates are being pushed for the job, your hiring manager is feeling the pressure because of a failed quarter, the company’s earnings call didn’t go great, etc. All of this stuff adds up.

So, what happens when we take omitted variable bias into consideration? First, we learn not to overstate or understate our contribution. Yes, our contribution matters. But, only so much. There’s a lot that lies beyond our control and there’s no need for the manic high or the depressive low.

Second, we learn that to distinguish between actions and outcomes. There is a saying that life is 10% action and 90% reaction. Perhaps interviews aren’t any different. Now that we’ve realized that people’s reaction to our actions is a large part of what happens to us, it helps to just direct our focus to that important 10%. By being the best we can be, we give ourselves a shot at maximizing the impact of that 10%. That’s all we can do. Once it’s done, focus on the next action as any time spent worrying about outcomes is time taken away from that next action.

From omitted variable bias to interview learnings to philosophy – you’ve got to love statistics!

Rohan Rajiv is a first-year student in Kellogg’s Full-Time Two-Year Program. Prior to Kellogg he worked at a-connect serving clients on consulting projects across 14 countries in Europe, Asia, Australia and South America. He blogs a learning every day, including his MBA Learnings series, on www.ALearningaDay.com.

Filed under: Academics, Student Life Tagged: 2Y, MBA Learnings, Two-Year Image

GMAT Club Bot
My introduction to “omitted variable bias” &nbs [#permalink] 13 Oct 2014, 07:00

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  11   12   13   14   15  ...  105    Next  [ 2093 posts ] 

Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Gnpth, DigitsnLetters, hanamana

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap