GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Dec 2018, 14:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !

new topic post reply Update application status  
Current Student
Concentration: General Management
Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2014, 10:53
jskt1989 wrote:
Got an email today asking me to schedule a Skype interview. Have scheduled it for Thursday, October 23rd.

Congratulations. Noticed from the side-bar that you're based out of India. Interesting to note that you've been asked to Skype v/s meeting an alum?
Would you mind sharing where exactly you are based out of, and when you completed the application process/video essay. Will give the rest of us from India some hope?

Thanks. And best wishes for the interview. Hope you crack it!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2014, 11:34
jskt1989 wrote:
Got an email today asking me to schedule a Skype interview. Have scheduled it for Thursday, October 23rd.

All the best mate. You're the first candidate (based out of India) on gmatclub to get the interview mail !!
Director
Director
Concentration: Strategy, Other
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.48
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2014, 13:54
Just had my interview.

It was fast, but conversational.

Quick Overview:
-Walk me through your resume, what's you're background?
-Why did you pick your undergraduate school?
-Why Kellogg?
-Do you work in teams or alone?
-Describe a time when the team was against you? What did you do?
-What is your proudest accomplishment to date?

He asked me if I had any questions and we talked about his Kellogg experience for a bit.

It probably lasted 40 minutes. It was quick, but he had somewhere to be (he volunteered at the Hospital next door) and we briefly discussed that on the way to the door.

Don't think it was the best interview I've had, but it wasn't the worst. Hope it does enough to overcome my terrible video essays!!

Good Luck to everyone else out there! The best advice I received pre-interview was, "Just be yourself!"

My GMAT Journey: A surprising 730!

My Application experience: Low GPA Success!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 2: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 3: 610 Q44 V28
GPA: 3.46
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2014, 15:19
pa76021 wrote:
Has anyone interviewed on campus? Online it says the interviewer could be a student or adcom but you won't know until you show up.

I interviewed on-campus 2 weeks ago. Went well but I do believe it's all about who you get.
Mine was very standard: walk me through your resume, why kellogg? wanted me to explain what I do for a living, what do you do for fun curve ball? lasted about 40 min.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.25
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2014, 16:01
I need some advice:

How long should I wait for a return email from my Alumni interviewer? I received my notification on Friday and emailed him on Saturday, but still haven't heard anything in return. I'm wondering if I should send another email, call his office, or just contact Kellogg. Any suggestions?

Thanks and best of luck.

RelishMBA.com

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V37
WE: Operations (Internet and New Media)

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2014, 22:08
gamesfreak wrote:
jskt1989 wrote:

Congratulations. Noticed from the side-bar that you're based out of India. Interesting to note that you've been asked to Skype v/s meeting an alum?
Would you mind sharing where exactly you are based out of, and when you completed the application process/video essay. Will give the rest of us from India some hope?

Thanks. And best wishes for the interview. Hope you crack it!

Yeah, even I was surprised that they wanted to Skype! Difficult to trust the internet connectivity and electricity in this country :P

Anyway, I am currently based out of Bangalore. I think I completed my Video Essays on the 22nd of September (Recommendations and other parts of the application were done by then). So, from what I could make out, the order of invitations is pretty random. So, do not really go by the date of application :)
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V37
WE: Operations (Internet and New Media)

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2014, 22:24
sachdix wrote:
jskt1989 wrote:

All the best mate. You're the first candidate (based out of India) on gmatclub to get the interview mail !!

Thanks mate!! :)
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V43
GPA: 3.45

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2014, 22:31
usmabama wrote:
I need some advice:

How long should I wait for a return email from my Alumni interviewer? I received my notification on Friday and emailed him on Saturday, but still haven't heard anything in return. I'm wondering if I should send another email, call his office, or just contact Kellogg. Any suggestions?

Thanks and best of luck.

Hey, I went through the same - I received an Alumni interview notification last Friday and I emailed him on Saturday and Tuesday respectively, but I didn't hear back from him. Only last night, I received an email from Kellogg that "The interview has been cancelled as the Alumni is out of town currently and Kellogg will be scheduling interview with a different alumni soon".

I think you should definitely follow up with him on email, and then contact Adcom if you do not receive any response till the coming Saturday.

PS: I am based in New Delhi.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.6
WE: Investment Banking (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2014, 00:12
I submitted my video essay on 26 th September but today when I logged in to check status it says - received on 15 th October .

Any body else with similar issue. I am worried this might push me in next round.

Any suggestions??

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2014, 00:25
Sid6 wrote:
I submitted my video essay on 26 th September but today when I logged in to check status it says - received on 15 th October .

Any body else with similar issue. I am worried this might push me in next round.

Any suggestions??

Ah good catch. I just checked mine as well. I submitted my video essay on 1st October (last day), and mine shows up received on 13th October. I think this somehow reflects when the adcom have actually viewed the video essay. I'm pretty sure we are being considered for R1.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2014, 01:39
gamesfreak wrote:
Sid6 wrote:

Any suggestions??

Ah good catch. I just checked mine as well. I submitted my video essay on 1st October (last day), and mine shows up received on 13th October. I think this somehow reflects when the adcom have actually viewed the video essay. I'm pretty sure we are being considered for R1.

Hmm.. That's interesting as ppl say they only waive interview status to start reviewing candidates application and video essay is the last thing they review in application so if they have viewed our video essays it means we may not get any interview decision .. How does that work, I am worried if I don't hear from them in next two days this might be a lost cause ..
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2014, 03:04
Sid6 wrote:

Any suggestions??

I didn't notice this before, but the date on my video interview has also changed. It is now 14 Oct, even though I did the video interview on the 28th. Coincidentally, the 14th was also when I had my in-person, off-campus interview.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Hospitality and Tourism)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2014, 03:15
jskt1989 wrote:
gamesfreak wrote:
jskt1989 wrote:

Yeah, even I was surprised that they wanted to Skype! Difficult to trust the internet connectivity and electricity in this country :P

Anyway, I am currently based out of Bangalore. I think I completed my Video Essays on the 22nd of September (Recommendations and other parts of the application were done by then). So, from what I could make out, the order of invitations is pretty random. So, do not really go by the date of application :)

Best of luck bro , please keep us updated more on the Skype interaction . hope you kill it
Kellogg Thread Master
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V40
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2014, 04:26
Regarding the date of Video Essay, I contacted the adcoms a few days ago about this. I was told it's a technical glitch in the system and there's nothing to be worried about. It's fine.

All that matters, comes after the word 'but'.

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2014, 04:29
Sid6 wrote:
gamesfreak wrote:
Sid6 wrote:

Any suggestions??

Hmm.. That's interesting as ppl say they only waive interview status to start reviewing candidates application and video essay is the last thing they review in application so if they have viewed our video essays it means we may not get any interview decision .. How does that work, I am worried if I don't hear from them in next two days this might be a lost cause ..

I don't think the logic that Kellogg interviews/waive's interviews before reading the app is a correct one. I think part of the reason they do a video interview, is to check that the person can talk alright and is actually worth giving an alum/skype interview (atleast for those located outside of the US). Those of you who are yet to take an alum/skype interview can confirm this based on what your application page says for review date of your video essay.

We can keep speculating, but let's keep our fingers crossed!
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2014, 04:35
Amen to that..

Intern
Intern
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2014, 06:24
Hi everyone!

Just had my interview yesterday so I thought I'd share for those who still haven't had it! It was with an alum from the class of 2010 in my home country (Chile), and he went with the official interview guide.

- Walk me through your resume
- Tell me about a time when you had trouble with a team mate and how did you solve it
- Why MBA (specially because I come from a non traditional background)
- Why Now
- Why Kellogg (I really recommend looking into some specifics you like about the school and program! He really appreciated that!)
- What other schools have you applied to? (he didn't ask which one I would choose if given the choice)

Hope this helps! Good luck everyone, and now its official waiting time!
Manager
Manager
What I never expected to learn while getting my MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2014, 08:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: What I never expected to learn while getting my MBA
First-year student Rohan Rajiv is blogging once a week about important lessons he is learning at Kellogg. Read more of his posts here.

Many of us are in graduate school to learn. There are many interesting things we expect to learn, like how to develop understanding of strategy and marketing, for example, or how learn to work better with teams of diverse people.

I believe the most important thing we are being asked to learn is something we might not have expected: Decision making and trade-offs.

Here’s the context. Every student has six or seven competing priorities:

• ACADEMICS

The rigorous study part that makes sure you have 100 pages of readings and an assignment to turn in every week
  • CAREER PLANNING

Thinking about long-term choices, internships and post-school career plans
  • EXTRACURRICULARS

Student clubs and activities are a great way to meet folks who have similar interests, as well as test your leadership.
  • SOCIAL

There’s a dinner or outing somewhere pretty much every night.
  • ME” / OURSELVES

We need to eat, sleep, exercise and reflect.
  • FAMILY

For many students, this includes partners and kids on campus. This also includes parents.
  • PAST LIFE

Think about all those friends we’ve lost touch with once we got here and old projects that we worked on that we definitely have neglected.
As you can tell on first glance, that’s a lot of priorities. In my mind, the most critical of these priorities is “me/ourselves.” If we don’t take of ourselves, the rest of the priorities fall apart. Additionally, it is tempting to give up food, sleep and exercise in our bid to do everything else. But there’s only so much we can do in a day, and not taking care of ourselves can dilute our efforts on the rest.

But, given this context, it is easy to see why this is a lesson in decision making and trade-offs. At any given moment during the day, there are potential ways to spend time on pretty much any of these priorities. I think this is great preparation for life in the future.

For many of us heading into graduate schools, our 20s have largely been about us. We graduated from university, dived into our work lives and gave it our all. We spent extra time on things we enjoyed. Full stop. But, life post school changes quickly. Many of us are contemplating families or are just starting married life. We’re all going to be in careers that, as a general rule, will never ask for less time. We will need to keep learning and growing while also making sure we give back.

In some ways, these competing priorities never go away. The challenges of balancing these never get easier. This is just a fantastic time to fail and, in the process, learn how to do it right. I’d like to share my three biggest lessons from the process:

• MAKE DECISIONS EASY FOR YOURSELF BY BEING CRYSTAL CLEAR ABOUT YOUR CORE PRIORITIES.

If you aren’t clear about the relative importance of your core priorities, you are going to drain your energy every day just thinking about these decisions. Once you get clear on your own priorities, decisions get much easier.
  • PRE-DECIDE YOUR DAYS AND WEEKS AS FAR AS POSSIBLE.

Most of the time you have enough information to plan in advance. There’s a high return-on-investment on being brutally organized. Pre-decide by blocking off your time for the week based on your priorities. If you don’t prioritize exercise and sleep, other things will get in the way. Be proactive to drive your own agenda. Or someone else will.
  • MAKE TIME TO REFLECT.

The busier things are, the more you need time to reflect. Learning-by-doing is incredibly inefficient if you don’t have enough time to take stock. Again, the return-on-investment on a little reflection time is incredibly high.
Since decision making is a core part of this experience, I’ve been working on more specific tactics that help ease the difficulty level. More on those in the coming weeks.

Rohan Rajiv is a first-year student in Kellogg’s Full-Time Two-Year Program. Prior to Kellogg he worked at a-connect serving clients on consulting projects across 14 countries in Europe, Asia, Australia and South America. He blogs a learning every day, including his MBA Learnings series, on www.ALearningaDay.com.

Filed under: Academics, Student Life Tagged: 2Y, MBA Learnings, Two-Year Image
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.25
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2014, 08:45
pratap92 wrote:
usmabama wrote:
I need some advice:

Thanks and best of luck.

Hey, I went through the same - I received an Alumni interview notification last Friday and I emailed him on Saturday and Tuesday respectively, but I didn't hear back from him. Only last night, I received an email from Kellogg that "The interview has been cancelled as the Alumni is out of town currently and Kellogg will be scheduling interview with a different alumni soon".

I think you should definitely follow up with him on email, and then contact Adcom if you do not receive any response till the coming Saturday.

PS: I am based in New Delhi.

Thanks for the info..

RelishMBA.com

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2014, 08:50
I just saw a post about an Indian receiving an invite to interview.
Guess I'm in the same boat. Received invitation to interview in person at my local city in India.

Heads up Indian applications! Time to refresh your mailbox more often :P
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 ! &nbs [#permalink] 16 Oct 2014, 08:50

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  13   14   15   16   17  ...  105    Next  [ 2093 posts ] 

Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Gnpth, DigitsnLetters, hanamana

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap