Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:07 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
Send PM
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
Own Kudos [?]: 302 [1]
Given Kudos: 24
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Marketing (Other)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Send PM
Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
kidchaos wrote:
nowwhat wrote:
My recommendor has said that he will not be able to submit within the deadline...some glitch with his computer..He may be be abe to submit tomorrow. Is Kellogg generally ok with that?

Don't panic but I had asked Kellogg about it a while back and they said that the reco has to be in by deadline. But maybe you can explain your situation to them. They may reconsider.

Yeah - even I have heard the same during the Delhi information session where I separately asked the representative. The point she made was very valid - deadlines are released months in advance. As a good practice, ensure you tell your recommender the deadline is 15th October or something (for Round1 deadline 18th October), gives you a bit of a buffer. I did this, and my recommender didn't submit by noon his time on 15th (I am from India and waited the max I could basis time difference), and so I sent a reminder email. He was utterly apologetic in his reply, and said he will ensure he is more proactive for future applications.

Just saying, waiting till the deadlines for EACH part of your application is not a good practice. Essays should be submitted on the last day maybe, but try and ensure recommenders dont keep you hanging. Cheers!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Well this recommender has submitted the other recommendations on time. So Im guessing the reco is more or less ready. But he does tend to on the last day.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
str1der wrote:
Yeah - even I have heard the same during the Delhi information session where I separately asked the representative. The point she made was very valid - deadlines are released months in advance. As a good practice, ensure you tell your recommender the deadline is 15th October or something (for Round1 deadline 18th October), gives you a bit of a buffer. I did this, and my recommender didn't submit by noon his time on 15th (I am from India and waited the max I could basis time difference), and so I sent a reminder email. He was utterly apologetic in his reply, and said he will ensure he is more proactive for future applications.

Just saying, waiting till the deadlines for EACH part of your application is not a good practice. Essays should be submitted on the last day maybe, but try and ensure recommenders dont keep you hanging. Cheers!

I would be vary of telling the wrong dates to the recommenders. Sometimes the mail sent by the school asking for recommendations have links to the deadlines, or the recommender might snoop around a little bit. And if they find out that you told them the wrong dates, it might not look very good on your part.
Happened to me for my Ross application.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
A lot of the colleges do add the deadline s to the mail. And my recommender are the type to notice small details ... So I am not going to take such a chance..I gues I will just nag them a lot in future
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Send PM
pyarapopat wrote:
str1der wrote:

I would be vary of telling the wrong dates to the recommenders. Sometimes the mail sent by the school asking for recommendations have links to the deadlines, or the recommender might snoop around a little bit. And if they find out that you told them the wrong dates, it might not look very good on your part.
Happened to me for my Ross application.

I understand your point. However, atleast in my case, both my recommenders always asked me to tell them the dates I want them to submit by. For example, they don't really know when Kellogg's deadline is - they don't care and why should they? The points that matter are:

1. Would you recommend me please
2. Ideally if you could submit by XYZ date

Answers to both the questions are typically yes, so you don't really need to get into the detail of there being a lag between submission and deadline. Plus, am unsure if a manager will actually think it was unwise on your part to tell him to submit a day or two earlier. He would have done the same if he was in your place. You do want to keep some buffer - its a time tested good practice.

So I don't really agree with your comment on being wary about telling them 'wrong dates' - you're giving them 'ideal dates' and not deadlines, you're not lying. Even if they specifically ask you for the deadline, its always good to say deadline is X, but would appreciate if you can submit by Y (where Y=x-2) and check and remind on Y+1 If there's a manager who has a problem with that, well ....

Its just about how you approach your overall application process, and within that, how you approach your recommender.
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
Own Kudos [?]: 302 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Marketing (Other)
Send PM
Ok then officially in for R1
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Send PM
blg529 wrote:
kannyg wrote:
I know Kellogg doesn't admit on a rolling basis, but is there any advantage of interviewing earlier rather than later?

Where did you heard that Kellogg doesn't admit on a rolling basis? Not questioning what you said, but I'm just curious because a friend of mine added Kellogg Class of 2014 to his educational information on facebook and he never responded when I asked him about it via text. I've been dying to know if it's possible that he really got accepted in September.

Maybe its for the part-time program? Or a deferred admission from last year?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
kidchaos wrote:
Ok then officially in for R1

Hopefully I will be able to say the same tom morning.. :?:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
I just noticed that when uploading the essays it says "When uploading your essay, please include at least a one-inch top margin on each page, and re-state the question at the beginning of the essay." Do you think the restatement of the questions counts against the word limit? I've included the question at the top of the page but not as a part of my essay and I'm already close to the word limit on each essay. Thanks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
Send PM
rjthomas21 wrote:
I just noticed that when uploading the essays it says "When uploading your essay, please include at least a one-inch top margin on each page, and re-state the question at the beginning of the essay." Do you think the restatement of the questions counts against the word limit? I've included the question at the top of the page but not as a part of my essay and I'm already close to the word limit on each essay. Thanks.

I do not think it counts as part of the word count.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Phi Beta Kappa, Kappa Delta
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.9
WE:Other (Venture Capital)
Send PM
rjthomas21 wrote:

I highly doubt the question counts against the word limit. Why would they punish every applicant for writing a long question? Stanford has you restate the question and explicitly points out that the question will not count against the word limit. Either way, because the adcom receives a print out of your essay, they aren't going to check to see if you went tens words over the limit. They'll just know if your essay looks a lot longer than other applicant's.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Finally submitted!
Waiting game begins...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Schools:Insead, Kelogg, Wharton, ISB
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Field Engineer - Oilfield Industry
WE 2: Manufacturing Engineer -Oil Field Industry
Send PM
Submitted....On Campus interview next month
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
WE:Supply Chain Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Submitted for R1.
On-campus interview next month.

Would really appreciate it if anybody who's interviewed on campus could provide a debrief of his/her experience.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Schools:Insead, Kelogg, Wharton, ISB
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Field Engineer - Oilfield Industry
WE 2: Manufacturing Engineer -Oil Field Industry
Send PM
kannyg wrote:
Submitted for R1.

Would really appreciate it if anybody who's interviewed on campus could provide a debrief of his/her experience.

I have mine on 18th....So if Yours is after that, I can share my exp......if yours is earlier, then it would be the other way round. :o :)
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
WE:Supply Chain Management (Transportation)
Send PM
tarangbakshi wrote:
kannyg wrote:
Submitted for R1.

I have mine on 18th....So if Yours is after that, I can share my exp......if yours is earlier, then it would be the other way round. :o :)

I have it on the 5th, so I can provide a debrief for you. But I know there are a lot of folks who have already interviewed on campus.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
WE:Marketing (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
kannyg wrote:
tarangbakshi wrote:
kannyg wrote:
Submitted for R1.

I have it on the 5th, so I can provide a debrief for you. But I know there are a lot of folks who have already interviewed on campus.

Mine is on the 4th, ill try to give an update as soon as I can
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  11   12   13   14   15   16   17  ...  97   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts