Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:49 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
cheetarah1980 wrote:
I'm in Evanston right now as I came to campus for Kellogg's Diversity Preview Weekend. I just completed my on-campus interview yesterday. It was with a 1st year student. Here are some of the questions that I was asked (a bit out of order):

1) Walk me through your resume
2) Describe a typical day at work
3) What is your experience working in teams
4) What would the people who work with you say is a strength of having you on the team and a disadvantage. (my answer to this question led into the next one)
5) How do you think this weakness affects your ability to lead
6) What is your leadership style?
7) Why Kellogg?
8) What are your goals?
9) How would you contribute to the Kellogg community?
10) Tell me about your ECs
11) Is there anything in your application you'd like to address during this interview?
12) Any questions for me?

The interview lasted about 35 minutes and was very conversational. I prepared for the interview by making notes for all of the typical interview questions (resume walk-through, why Kellogg, goals, why MBA, why now? etc.). I also prepared 4-5 stories that could fit for multiple types of questions. I tried rehearsing aloud by myself but that was a hot mess. For the Diversity Preview Weekend I roomed with another perspective student who had already done her interview so she ran me through the questions so I could have some practice speaking my answers. This helped SO much. I recommend rounding up interview questions from this forum and doing a mock interview with a friend. It really calmed my nerves and boosted my confidence for the interview.

Kellogg Diversity Preview Weekend was GREAT!! We had a ton of interaction with current Kellogg students, had 2 mock classes (would have preferred to sit in on one actual class though), got fed some really good food (the cafeteria in the Allen Center has a freakin' cheese bar!), went to TG, got insight into how applications are reviewed and more. The prospective students were very cool and we all had a blast hanging out together. Kellogg was the first school I visited where I looked around at all of the perspectives and thought to myself, "I'd love to go to school with these people." I also met some fellow gmatclubbers! Hi mbalady, kannyg, and DR2012! I tried to find Jacksparrow, but I couldn't figure out who he was.

I was a bit nervous about visiting this weekend. I submitted my app and hadn't yet visited so it would have really sucked if I wound up feeling like Kellogg wasn't the place for me. Thankfully, my worries were unfounded. Kellogg is a school I would love to attend. Just checked online and my application status is complete. All that's left to do is wait for a decision. Now I can spend the next 44 days obsessing about getting in. FUN!!!

Is 30-35 minutes about the norm? Seems so short to cover so much. I have my interview on Friday and trying to prep how long/detailed my responses should be. Especially the "Walk me through your resume" since there is so much information there.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
tess11 wrote:
I applied for R1 and haven't heard anything from the adcom at Kellogg...I'm beginning to really worry now.
Are there any folks who met all their R1 deadlines and still haven't heard?

Would it be okay to email the adcom and check the status of my app? The status on their applyyourself page still reads as under review.

Have you had your interview? Interviews are self-initiated. If you have completed your interview then the only thing left to do is wait. Decisions won't be released until December.

No, I haven't had my interview yet...I requested for an off campus interview...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
tess11 wrote:

Depending on your location, you should be getting a waiver notification if you are in an area where Kellogg doesn't have sufficient resources to interview people. I know people who received waivers yesterday and today, so this is a slow, ongoing process..I got my waiver last week Thursday.

I don't think there's any reason to worry..
Intern
Intern
Send PM
thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
tess11 wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:
tess11 wrote:
I applied for R1 and haven't heard anything from the adcom at Kellogg...I'm beginning to really worry now.
Are there any folks who met all their R1 deadlines and still haven't heard?

Would it be okay to email the adcom and check the status of my app? The status on their applyyourself page still reads as under review.

Have you had your interview? Interviews are self-initiated. If you have completed your interview then the only thing left to do is wait. Decisions won't be released until December.

On the same point I got a response from the adcom that candidates are still being matched to interviewers and I should wait till 22 Nov. No harm if you write to them though!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I did actually...the wait was killing me
VP
VP
Send PM
mappleby wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:
I'm in Evanston right now as I came to campus for Kellogg's Diversity Preview Weekend. I just completed my on-campus interview yesterday. It was with a 1st year student. Here are some of the questions that I was asked (a bit out of order):

1) Walk me through your resume
2) Describe a typical day at work
3) What is your experience working in teams
4) What would the people who work with you say is a strength of having you on the team and a disadvantage. (my answer to this question led into the next one)
5) How do you think this weakness affects your ability to lead
6) What is your leadership style?
7) Why Kellogg?
8) What are your goals?
9) How would you contribute to the Kellogg community?
10) Tell me about your ECs
11) Is there anything in your application you'd like to address during this interview?
12) Any questions for me?

The interview lasted about 35 minutes and was very conversational. I prepared for the interview by making notes for all of the typical interview questions (resume walk-through, why Kellogg, goals, why MBA, why now? etc.). I also prepared 4-5 stories that could fit for multiple types of questions. I tried rehearsing aloud by myself but that was a hot mess. For the Diversity Preview Weekend I roomed with another perspective student who had already done her interview so she ran me through the questions so I could have some practice speaking my answers. This helped SO much. I recommend rounding up interview questions from this forum and doing a mock interview with a friend. It really calmed my nerves and boosted my confidence for the interview.

Kellogg Diversity Preview Weekend was GREAT!! We had a ton of interaction with current Kellogg students, had 2 mock classes (would have preferred to sit in on one actual class though), got fed some really good food (the cafeteria in the Allen Center has a freakin' cheese bar!), went to TG, got insight into how applications are reviewed and more. The prospective students were very cool and we all had a blast hanging out together. Kellogg was the first school I visited where I looked around at all of the perspectives and thought to myself, "I'd love to go to school with these people." I also met some fellow gmatclubbers! Hi mbalady, kannyg, and DR2012! I tried to find Jacksparrow, but I couldn't figure out who he was.

I was a bit nervous about visiting this weekend. I submitted my app and hadn't yet visited so it would have really sucked if I wound up feeling like Kellogg wasn't the place for me. Thankfully, my worries were unfounded. Kellogg is a school I would love to attend. Just checked online and my application status is complete. All that's left to do is wait for a decision. Now I can spend the next 44 days obsessing about getting in. FUN!!!

Is 30-35 minutes about the norm? Seems so short to cover so much. I have my interview on Friday and trying to prep how long/detailed my responses should be. Especially the "Walk me through your resume" since there is so much information there.

Some answers will be longer than others. It took about 3-4 minutes to get through my resume, but it only took a minute or two to talk about a typical day at work. So overall everything averages out to 30-35 minutes. Mind you, this is for on campus interviews. I have heard that off campus interviews can be up to an hour long.

I recommend making notes to answer the questions above (as well as the questions other people posted). One story can often cover multiple types of questions. Then rehearse with a friend. That should help you get your timing and level of detail more polished. Hope this helps and good luck on your interview!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Guys, any news on the timing of the final decision for R1?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
omnivorous wrote:

Decision is to be rendered by Dec 19, 2012 according to the Kellogg website [https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/Programs/FullTimeMBA/Applying/Deadlines-2012.aspx]
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Real Estate, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.33
WE:General Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
pyarapopat wrote:
omnivorous wrote:

Decision is to be rendered by Dec 19, 2012 according to the Kellogg website [https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/Programs/FullTimeMBA/Applying/Deadlines-2012.aspx]

From the "Check Application Status" link -

"If your interview has been completed, the application has been submitted for review to the admissions committee. If your interview has not been conducted, the application will be submitted to the admissions committee upon completion of the interview. The next status check update will be the admission decision (Admit, Waitlist or Deny). When a decision has been determined, the Office of Admissions will send you an email notifying you to check your status for your decision. Application decisions may be released on or before the decision deadline, but the majority of decisions will be released during the last few weeks of the round. "

So, I assume we will start hearing decisions shortly after Thanksgiving as others have previously mentioned, or perhaps at the very beginning of December - Atleast I hope so. I would hate having to wait until the decision date.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Same here, the long wait is quite painful. Btw, did anyone perform any research on the correlation btw a good interview and admission? I heard some guys got rejected even though they were "strongly recommend" by alum, sounds quite scary.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Yes, Omnivorous. I interviewed ftf and got dinged last year. Kellogg refused feedback but I reached out to my alum who said he was surprised.

And to make matters a tad bit more alarming, I just got my waiver email. Hard luck cos even if they do shortlist me after reading my app, I'd have to do a telecon interview with the Adcom, which is always the less preferred option to meeting an alum.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Golfer wrote:
And to make matters a tad bit more alarming, I just got my waiver email. Hard luck cos even if they do shortlist me after reading my app, I'd have to do a telecon interview with the Adcom, which is always the less preferred option to meeting an alum.

How is that a less preferred option? Adcom interviews will be more consistent and if you manage to impress an adcom member, you admission chances go up considerably, whereas an alumnus can only recommend, but cannot influence the admissions committee.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Both interview formats have their pros and cons, I think alum interview > telecon with adcom cos:

1. Personal element: You have greater scope of judging how its going, gauge reactions etc which you obviously cant on the phone. Thereby you can exercise greater control over the interview. I have heard of instances of where adcom has merely asked their quota of questions and spent the rest of the time taking notes. Alum interviews are be more personalized, hence perhaps more influential.

2. Time Mgmt: They are typically longer and more flexible. Alum interviews are usually 40-60 mins, Adcom typically is 25-30 mins [from what I know of]. Thus greater scope of mentioning more details [as long as its got positive impact].

Again, these are just my thoughts..
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Golfer wrote:
Yes, Omnivorous. I interviewed ftf and got dinged last year. Kellogg refused feedback but I reached out to my alum who said he was surprised.

Golfer, did your alum strongly recommend you last year and you still got a ding? That is unbelievable! I am really started to worry now as my ftf interview went quite well but it might mean nothing in then end. Good luck to your application!
VP
VP
Send PM
Golfer wrote:
Both interview formats have their pros and cons, I think alum interview > telecon with adcom cos:

1. Personal element: You have greater scope of judging how its going, gauge reactions etc which you obviously cant on the phone. Thereby you can exercise greater control over the interview. I have heard of instances of where adcom has merely asked their quota of questions and spent the rest of the time taking notes. Alum interviews are be more personalized, hence perhaps more influential.

2. Time Mgmt: They are typically longer and more flexible. Alum interviews are usually 40-60 mins, Adcom typically is 25-30 mins [from what I know of]. Thus greater scope of mentioning more details [as long as its got positive impact].

Again, these are just my thoughts..

I interviewed in the admissions office with a 1st year student. I honestly think both types of interviews have their pros and cons. Personally, I liked the fact that my interview was short (35-40 minutes). It gives you less time to potentially say something stupid. My interviewer let me know prior to starting that he would be taking notes during the interview so it wasn't jarring at all.

The adcoms have said that they don't value one type of interview over another. All they see is the interviewers notes. If you answer the questions clearly and succinctly and show you have a good personality then it really doesn't matter who your interviewer is. JMHO.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Invited to interview after getting a waiver..
That's a relief!! :)
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  18   19   20   21   22   23   24  ...  97   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts