GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 22 Jan 2020, 10:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling All Kellogg MBA & MMM Applicants (2020 Intake) Class of 2022!

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Apr 2018
Posts: 10
Re: Calling All Kellogg MBA & MMM Applicants (2020 Intake) Class of 2022!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2019, 04:42
Hi all,

Is it me or the video essay requirement for Kellogg has changed this year?

Previously I had the impression that after the first 2 standard questions, candidates will be exposed to a series of short behavioral questions ( aka >1 question)

However, as I skim through the Q&A this year on Kellogg website, they clearly state that there will only be 3 questions in total, with the third one about hardship/challenge.

Any thoughts?
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Apr 2018
Posts: 10
Re: Calling All Kellogg MBA & MMM Applicants (2020 Intake) Class of 2022!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2019, 04:45
ConsultingGuy0543 wrote:
Hi workout,

Thanks for sending this! I'm going to play devil's advocate (not to create an issue for the sake of it, but just to try and make sure we are getting the right information).

"will have 48 hours after the application is due to complete the video essay" I read as 48 hours after the application deadline. It doesn't directly mention 48 hours after you submit - it's 48 hours after it is due. Also - for what this is worth - it doesn't seem to make much sense for Kellogg to impose a 48 hour after submission deadline, as applicants would then simply submit their applications later (i.e., closer to the round deadline). to give them more time.

Only way to test this might be to submit the application then see what happens? Happy to be the tester but wanted to see if anyone had experience yet. I imagine Kellogg would send an email stating that your video essays are due by XX date.



Im interested to know the outcome too! For now its more logical to believe that vid is 2 days after deadline.

However, the argument for the other belief is that if everyone were to submit in 48 hours after deadline, the servers traffic would be huge? So that's why it should be spread out based on candidates' choices?
MBA Section Director
User avatar
V
Affiliations: GMATClub
Joined: 22 May 2017
Posts: 2847
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Kellogg MBA & MMM Applicants (2020 Intake) Class of 2022!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2019, 08:29
ConsultingGuy0543 wrote:
Hi workout,

Thanks for sending this! I'm going to play devil's advocate (not to create an issue for the sake of it, but just to try and make sure we are getting the right information).

"will have 48 hours after the application is due to complete the video essay" I read as 48 hours after the application deadline. It doesn't directly mention 48 hours after you submit - it's 48 hours after it is due. Also - for what this is worth - it doesn't seem to make much sense for Kellogg to impose a 48 hour after submission deadline, as applicants would then simply submit their applications later (i.e., closer to the round deadline). to give them more time.

Only way to test this might be to submit the application then see what happens? Happy to be the tester but wanted to see if anyone had experience yet. I imagine Kellogg would send an email stating that your video essays are due by XX date.


ConsultingGuy0543

After reading the information on the website again, I see you are correct. It makes sense now. The video essays are due in 48hrs after the application deadline. I guess the following line makes it clear. Apologies for my incorrect response earlier.

Block out 20-25 minutes a few days after you submit your application and complete it.
_________________
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 10 Apr 2013
Posts: 451
Re: Calling All Kellogg MBA & MMM Applicants (2020 Intake) Class of 2022!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2019, 22:45
dadihung wrote:
Hi all,

Is it me or the video essay requirement for Kellogg has changed this year?

Previously I had the impression that after the first 2 standard questions, candidates will be exposed to a series of short behavioral questions ( aka >1 question)

However, as I skim through the Q&A this year on Kellogg website, they clearly state that there will only be 3 questions in total, with the third one about hardship/challenge.

Any thoughts?


Yes you're right! It is clear from Kellogg's website that there will be 2 fixed questions and 1 random question so in total of 3 video essay questions. https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/programs/full-time-mba/admissions/application-process.aspx
_________________
Deep A.
Ivey Alumnus (Class of 2015)
https://EduSimplified.com

Check out our new tool MBA Matrix https://EduSimplified.com/mba-matrix
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 26 Dec 2018
Posts: 15
Re: Calling All Kellogg MBA & MMM Applicants (2020 Intake) Class of 2022!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2019, 17:13
Hi guys,

Wanted to close the loop on this. I submitted my application and it indicated that I had until September 20 to complete the video essays. So looks like it is 48 hours after the final application deadline for the round, not after the time you submitted.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 26 Dec 2018
Posts: 15
Re: Calling All Kellogg MBA & MMM Applicants (2020 Intake) Class of 2022!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2019, 17:18
Separate question time (I hate that I always think of these things AFTER the fact. Need to find a way to stop doing this).

Kellogg’s application instructions said to repeat the question that you were responding to and bold it. However, there’s also an option to simply copy and paste the text from your essay into a text box, instead of uploading a separate document. I took the copy and paste approach, and of course I didn’t repeat the question as I thought that only applied to the uploaded version (you cannot even bold in the text box anyways) and it would use up the word count anyways, which doesn’t make sense.

What’s your take? Hopefully this will calm others nerves as well...

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 06 Sep 2018
Posts: 34
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Re: Calling All Kellogg MBA & MMM Applicants (2020 Intake) Class of 2022!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2019, 06:22
ConsultingGuy0543 wrote:
Separate question time (I hate that I always think of these things AFTER the fact. Need to find a way to stop doing this).

Kellogg’s application instructions said to repeat the question that you were responding to and bold it. However, there’s also an option to simply copy and paste the text from your essay into a text box, instead of uploading a separate document. I took the copy and paste approach, and of course I didn’t repeat the question as I thought that only applied to the uploaded version (you cannot even bold in the text box anyways) and it would use up the word count anyways, which doesn’t make sense.

What’s your take? Hopefully this will calm others nerves as well...

Posted from my mobile device


ConsultingGuy0543 Wondering this myself. I'm almost set to submit, and when I saw the instructions, the phrasing made it seem like all applicants (regardless of chosen format) should restate the prompt. But as you correctly point out, restating the prompt in the text box counts against your word count, and there's not even an option to bold text within the field.

When I tried the copy-paste method, the prompt didn't appear at the top of the preview page, but the application proof may be different than the application the officers review. I'm just playing it safe and uploading a pdf, but I don't think you have any reason to worry.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Jun 2018
Posts: 13
Re: Calling All Kellogg MBA & MMM Applicants (2020 Intake) Class of 2022!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2019, 18:49
I was reading the new video essay prompts. Has anyone completed theirs? For question 1, did the prompt change from ice breaker to "introduce yourself?" For question 2, can you restate what you wrote in your essay? It seems hard to give an answer that's not mentioned in the essay.

Video essay 1: Please introduce yourself to the admissions committee.

Video essay 2: What path are you interested in pursuing, how will you get there, and why is this program right for you?

Video essay 3: Each of you will receive a randomly selected prompt, all of which have the same objective. We want you to show us how you handled a challenging situation in your career or personal life. For example, we might ask you to tell us about a time you failed to achieve a goal you had set for yourself.
INSEAD School Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Joined: 24 Mar 2015
Posts: 2517
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Calling All Kellogg MBA & MMM Applicants (2020 Intake) Class of 2022!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2019, 21:07
1
Yes, thats fine. Your goals and your plan should be consistent!
lilypond789 wrote:
I was reading the new video essay prompts. Has anyone completed theirs? For question 1, did the prompt change from ice breaker to "introduce yourself?" For question 2, can you restate what you wrote in your essay? It seems hard to give an answer that's not mentioned in the essay.

Video essay 1: Please introduce yourself to the admissions committee.

Video essay 2: What path are you interested in pursuing, how will you get there, and why is this program right for you?

Video essay 3: Each of you will receive a randomly selected prompt, all of which have the same objective. We want you to show us how you handled a challenging situation in your career or personal life. For example, we might ask you to tell us about a time you failed to achieve a goal you had set for yourself.

_________________
Farrell Dyan, MBA Admissions Consultant
Verified reviews posted on http://MBAPrepCoach.com
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Sep 2019
Posts: 2
Re: Calling All Kellogg MBA & MMM Applicants (2020 Intake) Class of 2022!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2019, 05:29
A good piece of information posted here.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 06 Sep 2018
Posts: 34
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Re: Calling All Kellogg MBA & MMM Applicants (2020 Intake) Class of 2022!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2019, 06:23
2
lilypond789 I finished mine this past weekend. They did change the first icebreaker question to a more general "Introduce yourself" question, but the second question remained the same.

I'd say it's fine to restate your goals/post-MBA plans so that your application is consistent. In my case, I didn't explicitly state my short/long term goals in my long essays (though of course I did mention them in the short answers), so my case was a little different. But if merely reading your goals verbatim feels awkward, I'd just rephrase.

Best of luck with your application!
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Jan 2018
Posts: 10
Location: India
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
CAT Tests
Re: Calling All Kellogg MBA & MMM Applicants (2020 Intake) Class of 2022!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2019, 23:24
Hi

What is the department code for TOEFL? I understand that 1546 is for Kellogg MBA Ft but the "score recipients" section is asking for division code as well. I have put "99" (for not-listed departments) for now.
BSchool Moderator
avatar
G
Joined: 03 Feb 2019
Posts: 171
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
WE: Marketing (Computer Software)
Re: Calling All Kellogg MBA & MMM Applicants (2020 Intake) Class of 2022!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2019, 08:19
Hey everyone, I just wanted to clarify with the larger group - the video essay submissions are due within 48 hours of the application deadline. So, the deadline for those would be September 20, 5pm CT, right?
_________________
Applying to Michigan Ross?
Keep up with all the updates on this thread.

Is Berkeley Haas your dream school?
Join the applicant conversation on this thread.


My GMAT debrief: 12 weeks to 720 --> 3 weeks to 750
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 06 Sep 2018
Posts: 34
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Re: Calling All Kellogg MBA & MMM Applicants (2020 Intake) Class of 2022!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2019, 08:23
1
variantguy yes, that's correct. The video essay is due with 48 hours of the deadline.
BSchool Moderator
avatar
G
Joined: 03 Feb 2019
Posts: 171
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
WE: Marketing (Computer Software)
Re: Calling All Kellogg MBA & MMM Applicants (2020 Intake) Class of 2022!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2019, 08:28
Thanks, coltaylo94. Appreciate the prompt response! :)

coltaylo94 wrote:
variantguy yes, that's correct. The video essay is due with 48 hours of the deadline.

_________________
Applying to Michigan Ross?
Keep up with all the updates on this thread.

Is Berkeley Haas your dream school?
Join the applicant conversation on this thread.


My GMAT debrief: 12 weeks to 720 --> 3 weeks to 750
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 06 Sep 2018
Posts: 34
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Re: Calling All Kellogg MBA & MMM Applicants (2020 Intake) Class of 2022!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2019, 10:10
variantguy wrote:
Thanks, coltaylo94. Appreciate the prompt response! :)

coltaylo94 wrote:
variantguy yes, that's correct. The video essay is due with 48 hours of the deadline.


Absolutely, my pleasure!
BSchool Moderator
avatar
G
Joined: 03 Feb 2019
Posts: 171
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
WE: Marketing (Computer Software)
Re: Calling All Kellogg MBA & MMM Applicants (2020 Intake) Class of 2022!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2019, 07:26
When are the R1 interview calls expected to start rolling out? There seems to be no information on the website about this.
_________________
Applying to Michigan Ross?
Keep up with all the updates on this thread.

Is Berkeley Haas your dream school?
Join the applicant conversation on this thread.


My GMAT debrief: 12 weeks to 720 --> 3 weeks to 750
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 06 Sep 2018
Posts: 34
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Re: Calling All Kellogg MBA & MMM Applicants (2020 Intake) Class of 2022!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2019, 08:00
variantguy per the email Kellogg sent after submitting the application (emphasis mine):

Quote:
If you requested an off-campus interview, you will receive an email within four to six weeks from the round deadline with an update regarding the status of your interview requirement.


Hope that helps!
Booth Moderator
avatar
S
Joined: 24 Aug 2019
Posts: 161
Re: Calling All Kellogg MBA & MMM Applicants (2020 Intake) Class of 2022!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2019, 09:59
New numbers out are really disheartening. Not even going to submit now. Good luck to everyone who applied in round 1.

Posted from my mobile device
BSchool Moderator
avatar
G
Joined: 03 Feb 2019
Posts: 171
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
WE: Marketing (Computer Software)
Re: Calling All Kellogg MBA & MMM Applicants (2020 Intake) Class of 2022!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2019, 11:06
Hey coltaylo94 yes, I received that too but it left me wondering whether they meant that all the invites would be sent latest by four to six weeks starting Sept. 21 or they would send the invites for off-campus interviews earliest by within 4 weeks and latest by 6 weeks. Did I explain that correctly?

Because, if it's the latter I would be concerned a bit as on-campus students would continue to interview in the period, and even though the process is supposed to be objective, it might have potential implication for those who receive the off-campus invite 6 weeks later and then get interviewed couple of weeks after that. The human mind does tend to form benchmarks.

Are you planning to interview on campus? :)

coltaylo94 wrote:
variantguy per the email Kellogg sent after submitting the application (emphasis mine):

Quote:
If you requested an off-campus interview, you will receive an email within four to six weeks from the round deadline with an update regarding the status of your interview requirement.


Hope that helps!

_________________
Applying to Michigan Ross?
Keep up with all the updates on this thread.

Is Berkeley Haas your dream school?
Join the applicant conversation on this thread.


My GMAT debrief: 12 weeks to 720 --> 3 weeks to 750
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling All Kellogg MBA & MMM Applicants (2020 Intake) Class of 2022!   [#permalink] 21 Sep 2019, 11:06

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  15    Next  [ 299 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling All Kellogg MBA & MMM Applicants (2020 Intake) Class of 2022!

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Lekoben, tanmay1392






Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne