Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:06 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink]
Did anyone get deferred? It seems unusual - at least compared to last year's posts - that all the notices have been dings.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [7]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Sorry to hear of all the dings sent out today.

For those still on this thread - I did my interview today. Did the lunch with students, which I would highly recommend. I got to get an hour alone with a Sloanie to ask whatever I wanted (there were an equal number of students and candidates there, so we broke off into one-on-one groups). It was immensely helpful.

Interview was a bit after, and I had prepared a few stories that I could adapt to the questions, but I didn't want to overprepare so it would seem artificial or canned.

The interviewer asked me about a few things on my resume (having her IPad on the desk, which had my entire app), then asked a total of three behavioral interview questions. That's all. Nothing I haven't heard before. She wasn't scribbling furiously either - just taking a few notes here and there. Nor was she picking apart what I was saying. Not sure if my app was that good that they didn't have questions or what (I have my fingers crossed that was the case!), but it was very pleasant and conversational. Asked her a few questions and it took about 40 minutes overall.

My interviewer was an AdCom consultant, which from my understanding is no different than an AdCom member.

There was no limitation as to when the stories you described could be from. I only went as far back as college and even asked her about it before I began, and she said that would be fine.

Good luck to everyone and happy holidays!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Columbia (matriculating 2013), Booth (admitted), Wharton (WL)
Send PM
For those who have interviewed, do you need to bring your official transcript in a sealed envelope?
Current Student
Affiliations: VFW, Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, West Point Association of Graduates
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Strategic Management and Finance
Schools:Wharton Class of 2013
GMAT 2: 700
GPA: 3.3
WE 1: Army Ranger / Infantry Platoon Leader Operation Iraqi Freedom (2 yrs)
WE 2: Company Executive Officer (1 yr)
WE 3: Company Commander (2 yrs)
Send PM
has anyone interviewed with rita edmunds, she is my interviewer, i have my interview on 7 JAN
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.67
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Ding! Best of luck everyone who is still in the running! While I'll be most likely across the river next year, I still think the world of Sloan and it's students.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Haas, MIT Sloan, Columbia BS, NYU Stern, INSEAD, Stanford, LBS, Wharton, Chicago Booth
 Q49  V40
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
dinged on 12/22
Intern
Intern
Send PM
biochemist wrote:
I think this is a very shallow analysis. Truth is...no matter if you have an 800 GMAT and a 4.0, you don't know what goes on behind the walls of admissions. Moreover, the element of luck integrated in this process is also the 'building of a class.' How do you know there weren't more interesting people who applied this year with your same background? You don't. And the whole..."you would have probably gotten into H/S/W" is bogus too. I know plenty of people with so called "stellar" backgrounds that didn't get into H/S. Why? Who knows? No point in speculating or coming up with absurd theories either. It's a waste of energy. I can think of 1000 reasons to ding someone with a 770 and 4.0 if they aren't a good fit or lack something else...point is, no one knows. My $0.02

Biochemist, I think you're reading too much into my comment. As you could tell from the number of times I used the word 'probably', it isn't an analysis, it is speculation. Yield isn't the ONLY reason people get rejected, it is one of many. As I said earlier, admissions decisions are never a completely objective process, and there are always 'hidden variables' that only adcoms are aware of. Some stellar profiles get dinged, some get in. My point is simply that many of those dinged seem very deserving to me, and I simply wanted to put that fact out there.

I'm a scientist (presumably you are too?) so I can fully appreciate your skepticism at anything that isn't completely backed up by data. It's how I roll too, wouldn't have it any other way. :wink:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Schools:Foster, Sloan (WL w/int.), Kellogg, Anderson
Send PM
Very sorry to hear about all the dings today. Best of luck for your other apps everyone.

(roll call page updated -- Out of our sample population of 115 applicants, 19 have been invited = 16.52% invitation rate... pretty close to the 17% published by BW)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Received an invite on Dec 21...I am unable to attend the interview in HK, would I be offered a phone int or a meeting with an alumni?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Enterpreneurship, Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2013
 Q51  V44
GPA: 7.51
WE 1: 5 year in Energy
Send PM
Got dinged without an interview.... :( I did spend considerable time and effort on the essays...Sloan wasn't my first choice and wouldn't have joined even if I were admitted but still a ding without an interview hurts :cry: :cry:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Dinged and drained. :(
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Wharton/Lauder - Class of 2013
Send PM
neildiamond wrote:
For those who have interviewed, do you need to bring your official transcript in a sealed envelope?

This was asked earlier and yes, you do need to bring a sealed envelope...plus, better safe than sorry, right?
Intern
Intern
Schools:Kellogg R1 (admitted) / Booth R1 (admitted) / Wharton R1 (ding) / MIT R1 (ding)
 Q49  V35
WE 1: 2 years --> Manufacturing
WE 2: 2 years --> Supply Chain
Send PM
Ding here also.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
dorivalbj wrote:
Ding here also.

Dinggg.......... It hurts....

This forum has been a great source of inspiration during the application process..... Thank you all!!!

MIT is a great school and it remains my dream school..... (a dream not realized :-( )

Best of Luck Folks......
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: SPE
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Strategy, Energy, General Management
Schools:Sloan R1, Fuqua R1, Haas R2, Wharton R2, Darden R2, Kellogg R2
 Q50  V38
GPA: 3.4
WE 1: 4 yrs Oil & Gas (Engineering, Operations Management)
Send PM
danerd wrote:
Ding!

Good news is I don't have to go through the "OMG, is there something wrong with my essays. Should I revamp everything phase?!" for two reasons:

1) Sloan's questions, especially the cover letter, don't really overlap with other schools (except Stanford).
2) The essays I churned out after Sloan were a lot better.

Can't agree more after getting dinged here.
Sloan was my 1st app and probably my weakest.
Off this thread.

Good luck to all!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Send PM
neildiamond wrote:

yes. sloan is very particular on the details so i wouldn't upset them. generally it's not official if it's not sealed but i think there's something on their site about certified/notarized copies if you must go that route.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Cleantech
Schools:Sloan R1, McCombs R1, Ross R1 (w/int), Haas R2, Kellogg R2
WE 1: Product Engineering/Manufacturing
Send PM
Kudos
I thought Sloan's essays helped me really hone in on solid examples that I used on other apps. I found the cover letter especially useful.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  63   64   65   66   67  ...  108   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts