Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:08 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Consulting, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Cleantech
Schools:Sloan R1, McCombs R1, Ross R1 (w/int), Haas R2, Kellogg R2
WE 1: Product Engineering/Manufacturing
Send PM
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink]
dallasstar wrote:
lol! no it's just "mit" or "sloan"

Posted from my mobile device

"MIT Sloan" is also used pretty frequently on their website.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
does anyone know what happens if recommendations are late...?
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
goldgoldandgold wrote:
summitbid wrote:
all---are these essays "supposed" to have a bunch of "i learned's"???
maybe im not thinking hard enough....

I would not think so...the adcom can figure from past experiences that we portray in our essays IMO

I also thought the same and I avoided "learned" and "realized" but an hour ago I was at harvard sq coop reading the 65 essays for HBS and they were full of "I realized" :?

But I am not changing anything (this time), I think I will only proofread one thousand times.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ankateif wrote:
goldgoldandgold wrote:
summitbid wrote:
all---are these essays "supposed" to have a bunch of "i learned's"???
maybe im not thinking hard enough....

I would not think so...the adcom can figure from past experiences that we portray in our essays IMO

I also thought the same and I avoided "learned" and "realized" but an hour ago I was at harvard sq coop reading the 65 essays for HBS and they were full of "I realized" :?

But I am not changing anything (this time), I think I will only proofread one thousand times.

Unlike other top business schools, MIT expects very concise stories with a lot of what you did, thought etc and less of what you learned and self introspection. I could understand why but looking at the application, I could see that they had pretty straight forward questions, no extra information was asked and my recommenders told me that they just had to upload one document and that is all. No drop downs and ratings.

To the point and precise...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I am not american and I do not know how is the typical application for admission in university programs, but an MD/PhD friend who reviewed my essays told me that I should put "lessons learned" and "realized" more directly.
I went several times to MIT and I "realized" that they are very practical and smart and can understand from your actions, feelings, and thoughts what you learned. I hope I am on the right track.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ankateif wrote:
I am not american and I do not know how is the typical application for admission in university programs, but an MD/PhD friend who reviewed my essays told me that I should put "lessons learned" and "realized" more directly.
I went several times to MIT and I "realized" that they are very practical and smart and can understand from your actions, feelings, and thoughts what you learned. I hope I am on the right track.

I would mostly agree with you. I attended the chat session a couple days ago and the person from Adcom was reiterating the fact that we are not interested in reading what lessons you learned. Also if you look at the video of Mr Garcia in the link provided on Avenusar's MIT info page, you will see that he mentions the same theme. So I would think you are on right track

On a side note - anyone getting over the 50 line thing on resume? Mine is ridiculous 62 lines but in one page. No way for me to chop it down. I think I am gonna upload it as is..
Manager
Manager
Send PM
goldgoldandgold wrote:
ankateif wrote:

I would mostly agree with you. I attended the chat session a couple days ago and the person from Adcom was reiterating the fact that we are not interested in reading what lessons you learned. Also if you look at the video of Mr Garcia in the link provided on Avenusar's MIT info page, you will see that he mentions the same theme. So I would think you are on right track

On a side note - anyone getting over the 50 line thing on resume? Mine is ridiculous 62 lines but in one page. No way for me to chop it down. I think I am gonna upload it as is..

I wouldn't use a font smaller than 10 and wouldn't play to much with the margins. The decision is yours but it seems too big. Is everything on it important? I am an MD/PhD and have several things to put but after talking to Julie Strong I made it 47 lines.

She said that usually younger people with less experience are the ones that have the bigger resumes.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
goldgoldandgold wrote:
ankateif wrote:

Uploaded with 56, one page. No way they will count lines.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I mean I have tried my best but it looks okay on print (one-page). It has a ton of stuff but it is not clobbered. I will be submitting it and I did not worry about the margins as it will probably mess up the formatting :)

Here is my summary

CL - 509
Essay # 1 509
Essay # 2 490
Essay # 3 515

Until tomorrow when I am sure, I will be reviewing them again :roll: :roll:
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Which essay was the toughest to write?

For me it was #2
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Cover letter hands down

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Extensive undergrad and post-undergrad leadership experience
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Kellogg 1Y (matriculating)
GPA: 3.1 at state school
WE 1: Strategy Consulting, 4 years
WE 2: Military, 2 years
WE 3: Founder of Professional Services Firm, 3 years
Send PM
Ditto on the cover letter. I think MIT is the only top MBA program that asks for this and I think the cover letter had to be approached and organized slightly different from all the other essays I've been writing so spent a lot of time thinking through how I was going to organize it. The plus was MIT was pretty clear on what they wanted to see in it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:HBS (Admit - Class of 2013)
 Q50  V36 GMAT 2: 750  Q50  V42
WE 1: Strategy Consulting (2 years)
WE 2: Internet Startup (4 years)
Send PM
Hello Everyone,

This thread is very informative :)

I have a few doubts around the coverletter:

1. Do I need to mention my name and address at the top?
2. Does standard business format includes a particular style of writing too? or is it just the right format it should be put in.

Here's a basic structure of my coverletter, please advise.

1. I am seeking position in MIT because of bla bla bla...
2. Who I am as a person followed by my career progression right from college- what I did there, how I evolved - going towards my work experience- why i changed jobs etc, how i made impact in organizations i worked with etc.
3.Then I say that I have a diverse experience because of which I will be able to contribute to the class
4. Talk about my career goals and how MIT fit into
5. looking forward to the interview..

Is this format alright? Seems more like an essay? Or would you suggest I should talk about my accomplishments in bullet points? I saw Rod's interview and he said that they are interested in knowing the person behind the accomplishments so I felt maybe it makes more sense to tell your story chronologically so that the adcom gets to know about your accomplishments as well as the reasons behind why you did what you did?

Please advise, if it is ok to get a bit essayish in the cover letter?

All the Very Best!! to everyone
lostphoton
3/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
For Sloan recommendation, they limited the response to two pages. Anyone face the problem that the recommender wrote too many?

Also, for work experience part, if i have internal transfered to another department, shall I wrote two work experience with the same employer or the previous job in another company?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Send PM
Hey friends,

Hope you're all making good progress with the app!

I have one question, for the "impact" example for the cover letter do you guys think it is acceptable to use an example that you expand upon in the one of the essays??
i.e. I use the same example twice....

any thoughts?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
lostphoton wrote:
Hello Everyone,

This thread is very informative :)

I have a few doubts around the coverletter:

1. Do I need to mention my name and address at the top?
2. Does standard business format includes a particular style of writing too? or is it just the right format it should be put in.

Here's a basic structure of my coverletter, please advise.

1. I am seeking position in MIT because of bla bla bla...
2. Who I am as a person followed by my career progression right from college- what I did there, how I evolved - going towards my work experience- why i changed jobs etc, how i made impact in organizations i worked with etc.
3.Then I say that I have a diverse experience because of which I will be able to contribute to the class
4. Talk about my career goals and how MIT fit into
5. looking forward to the interview..

Is this format alright? Seems more like an essay? Or would you suggest I should talk about my accomplishments in bullet points? I saw Rod's interview and he said that they are interested in knowing the person behind the accomplishments so I felt maybe it makes more sense to tell your story chronologically so that the adcom gets to know about your accomplishments as well as the reasons behind why you did what you did?

Please advise, if it is ok to get a bit essayish in the cover letter?

All the Very Best!! to everyone
lostphoton
3/

i dont think there is any one format that we are supposed to follow.....what you mention sounds fine to me...infact much better than mine....
Manager
Manager
Send PM
smallwo wrote:
For Sloan recommendation, they limited the response to two pages. Anyone face the problem that the recommender wrote too many?

Also, for work experience part, if i have internal transfered to another department, shall I wrote two work experience with the same employer or the previous job in another company?

dont know if it will make much of a difference, assuming you are talking about the online form....on your resume you maybe could indicate change in responsibilities, etc....
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  14   15   16   17   18  ...  108   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts