Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:03 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink]
solaris1 wrote:
This is turning out to be an unreal day for me. Just got an interview invite from Stern. :-D :shock:

Congrats!
Cornell boy
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
This is turning out to be an unreal day for me. Just got an interview invite from Stern. :-D :shock:

So I guess they are still giving out interview invites! I thought i was done for since I hadn't heard! When did you submit?

After the nightmare situation at Kellogg I'm hoping for some Stern love this week!
Current Student
Send PM
How many times do I have to shout that they will continue to give R1 interview invites until February? You can assume there are about 10/15 people working in the admissions office on applications.

There are 1000 applications or so (taken from circa 5000 last year total). The review started around Nov 15. Some will not have been complete at that point. I am pretty certain they will not all have been fully reviewed!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [1]
 Q44  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Just looked at first page roll call.

So few Stern applicants. How is that possible?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I'm not sure everyone is on there as I'm not and I applied R1 and have been discussing all things interview invites for a few weeks!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Chicago, Kellogg, Duke, Georgetown, BU
 Q48  V34
Send PM
Hi I am new here...

I submitted my application on Nov.22 - a week after R1 deadline.
I understand that I will be considered in R2, but when do they start reviewing my apps?
Received an e-mail telling me the log-in info on Dec. 2, but haven't heard back since then.
Does this mean I'm not getting invited to interview, since Stern works on rolling basis, or do I simply have to wait till Jan.15 for them to start looking at my apps?
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
finblue wrote:
Hi I am new here...

I submitted my application on Nov.22 - a week after R1 deadline.
I understand that I will be considered in R2, but when do they start reviewing my apps?
Received an e-mail telling me the log-in info on Dec. 2, but haven't heard back since then.
Does this mean I'm not getting invited to interview, since Stern works on rolling basis, or do I simply have to wait till Jan.15 for them to start looking at my apps?

Not everyone gets invited to the interview. In fact, NYU has very low percentage of inviting an applicant to an interview. Most of us waited quite a long time before receiving interview invites.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools:Tuck
 Q45  V40
Send PM
Do you know wheter they will invite me to interview if they haven't received my official toefl score report? (There has been some problem and ETS has told me that they will send it again, so they will received in january) (I applied in the round 1 deadline)
Current Student
Send PM
liest

I think it will need the TOEFL to become a complete file. It will not be reviewed, or at least a decision made, until it is complete. At least this is what I believe. It would be wise to contact them to let them know the status (maybe they will take your self reported score).

Finblue

It will first be available for review from Jan 15. You may receive a Status Update of any form at any time before April 1. It is a bit of a wait I know, but each school has its due process it follows. So in summary, it means nothing other than you entered a ballot really early - having a low ticket in the tombola doesn't matter until it is drawn.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Rady School of Management at UC San Diego GO TRITONS
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Submitted to R2 today via the Consortium. My first app outside of California. Good luck everyone!
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
Withdrew my application today and canceled my interview.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Schools:Darden, Stern, CBS, Johnson, Fuqua
Send PM
ninkorn wrote:
Withdrew my application today and canceled my interview.

I call dibs on your interview spot! Thanks ninkorn.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I call second dibs if you dont get it!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
wow it's quiet. I wonder if the adcoms are back from break and handing out interview invites again!!!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Just got an interview invite. Conveniently, I can withdraw my app online.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Kudos
Right, so folks I completed my interview earlier this week and now my application is apparently pending final review before a decision is rendered in (hopefully) another couple of weeks.

I had lunch with an MBA2 immediately before the interview. I chose to do so deliberately to pick up some last minute interview tips over lunch (this was at an Italian place in the Village btw, on NYU's tab) and calm myself down a little. Most of you know NYU Stern is my top choice school right now, so I'd been completely on edge going into the interview. Nonetheless, lunch was very pleasant and I was happy to find out that my host already had a full-time offer secured and said the overall mood at Stern, recruiting wise, was still pretty positive.

I received a NYU Stern t-shirt and a customized information package when I went to check in for my interview. A nice touch no doubt, and when I say customized, I mean CUSTOMIZED! I'd mentioned a couple of employers specifically in my goals essay, and my packet contained profiles of NYU Stern alumni at those employers, information about the Specializations I had indicated an interest in, as well stuff about the student clubs I had expressed an interest in in my essays and application.

I interviewed with one of the Associate Directors in Admissions. Now we've all heard about how the Stern interview isn't blind and the interviewer has gone through your application, recommendations, and especially the creative essay. If that was indeed the case, my interviewer did not really bring up anything I had spoken about in my essays. She had my resume in front of her, and the whole interview experience was an intense (but overwhelmingly cordial) 35-minute conversation about my career interests and how my somewhat distinctive long-term career goals came to be. I don't think I did as well as I would have liked, because I had prepped a lot of other things that seemed to be asked in NYU Stern interviews according to accepted.com and the ClearAdmit wiki. Of course, I did a good job of explaining the career path I chose and why I wanted to do what I want to do in the future, but because I hadn't expected to go into such minute detail, what I said (I think) unfortunately lacked sufficient polish and charisma. In fact the only "traditional" MBA interview question I was asked was, "...tell me about a significant professional accomplishment at employer XYZ..." and even that was specific to something I did for a particular employer. This was followed by questions about why I wanted, specifically, to work at the two employers I talked about in my essays (I brought one of them up several times during the interview) and what research I had done on them and their distinct practice specialties. Why would those employers want to hire me, and what I would do during my first semester to make sure I received an internship with those employers.

As some other people have reported elsewhere, the questions I was asked came in quick succession. I feel I slightly missed out on an opportunity to talk about how I planned on contributing to the Stern community et cetera. To make up for my gaffe in my interview at Cornell (some of you know the story), I did let my interviewer know that NYU Stern was my top choice school and if offered admission I would matriculate. I don't think that statement had the necessary effect however, haha, and it was probably a bit silly on my part.

So in summary, I don't think the NYU Stern interview is really something that can be prepared for - and I think it's a great thing they don't ask ridiculous questions about "teamwork," "leadership," and "ethical dilemmas." I appreciated the opportunity to talk about my plans with someone who clearly was very interested in what I had done earlier in my professional life, and my future ambitions.

Overall - nothing has changed my opinion of NYU Stern. I think it is a great school, I would love to be there and I think I made the right choice in applying to NYU Stern as a "somewhat of a reach" school instead of another M7 school.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Rady School of Management at UC San Diego GO TRITONS
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Thanks for the rundown solaris, and good luck! +1. I'm in for R2, and NYU might be a bit of a dark horse for me. The location is a big draw for me - there's only one New York City. Maybe I'll see you there next fall!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16  ...  19