Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 03:52 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 03:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [1]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q45 V44
GPA: 2.8
Send PM
Re: Calling all NYU-Stern Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]
bml1105 wrote:
sticks02 wrote:
Just got waitlisted. Not the response I wanted, but much better than a ding. Any idea what percentage of folks from the waitlist get interview invites eventually?

Sorry to hear sticks! Hopefully we'll be hearing good news from Kellogg and Tuck in a week and a half!

Thanks bml! I'm hopeful for Kellogg, my interview there went very well I though. Being wait listed almost feels like going through the whole app process again. Now I have to prove my worth even more :)

Kick ass on your interview.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Anyone from India with interview call yet? The wait is killing..
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Stern '17
Send PM
Hi,

I am from India and I got an interview call. Is it possible to have an off-campus interview for Stern?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Tryingreallyhard wrote:
Hi,

I am from India and I got an interview call. Is it possible to have an off-campus interview for Stern?

This is what the site says about off campus interviews

Quote:
Off-Site Interviews
If you are invited to interview but are not able to come to Stern, you may consider one of our off-site interview locations. For priority consideration for off-site interviews, apply by November 15. We typically conduct off-site interviews in China, India and the United Kingdom in March, but the locations and timing are subject to change each year.

Candidates participating in off-site interviews are not at a disadvantage to those interviewing at Stern. However, if timing is an important consideration, you may be able to interview sooner in New York City.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Hi All,

Seems I am a little late to the party. I am planning to apply to schools in Round 2 (Jan deadlines) but it is already Round 3 for NYU Stern. I am quite interested in the program (even made a campus visit from India). That said, I don't want to waste my time and resources if only very few seats are available. So my question is, Is Round 3 at Stern similar in competitiveness to Round 2 at other top schools(given that there is a Round 4 deadline too) or is it like Round 3 at other schools? I am an international candidate and the website says that internationals are "encouraged" to apply by November 15 deadline but can also apply in later rounds.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.28
WE:Project Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
pway wrote:
Hi All,

Seems I am a little late to the party. I am planning to apply to schools in Round 2 (Jan deadlines) but it is already Round 3 for NYU Stern. I am quite interested in the program (even made a campus visit from India). That said, I don't want to waste my time and resources if only very few seats are available. So my question is, Is Round 3 at Stern similar in competitiveness to Round 2 at other top schools(given that there is a Round 4 deadline too) or is it like Round 3 at other schools? I am an international candidate and the website says that internationals are "encouraged" to apply by November 15 deadline but can also apply in later rounds.

Thanks.

During my tour, they said that Round 3 for Stern is just as competitive as Round 2 for other schools. The setup is a little different since Stern technically uses a rolling admissions process.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
dr0xlunltd wrote:
pway wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks.

During my tour, they said that Round 3 for Stern is just as competitive as Round 2 for other schools. The setup is a little different since Stern technically uses a rolling admissions process.

Thanks, what exactly do you mean when you say that they use a rolling admissions process? Will I get the decision earlier and be at an advantage if I submit my application now instead of closer to 15th January deadline? Do they review all applications of a particular round together like most schools or is it like Columbia's admissions?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bml1105 wrote:
angell0903 wrote:
bml1105 wrote:

I don't think it means you have a higher chance of getting accepted or rejected. They know they only have a certain amount of interview spots in December, yet are still sending out interview invites until the 15th.

I just hopped on the December slot because with the 3 week deadline they set for themselves, I would get my decision sooner. And I'm very impatient.

The three week deadline? they just said we should schedule the interview within two weeks.
Since I will fly to NYC from Hong Kong, so need some Visa stuff and hope the Jan interview will not affect the result!
And good luck on your interview!!

Sorry if I wasn't clear. The admissions office says they will reach a final decision on your application (acceptance/rejection/possibly waitlist) within 3 weeks of your interview. Sometimes sooner. I think the only advantage to interviewing earlier is getting a final decision earlier.

But Stern says they accept around 70% of people they interview and even advertise minority candidates to interview in February. Since such a large amount of invites are going out this week and probably next, that means most candidates won't interview until January. Therefore there can't be that big of an advantage.

Hey, thanks for the clarification! I guess i would be doing mid-Jan then.

Good luck to all with the interview invites!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bml1105 wrote:
angell0903 wrote:
bml1105 wrote:

I don't think it means you have a higher chance of getting accepted or rejected. They know they only have a certain amount of interview spots in December, yet are still sending out interview invites until the 15th.

I just hopped on the December slot because with the 3 week deadline they set for themselves, I would get my decision sooner. And I'm very impatient.

The three week deadline? they just said we should schedule the interview within two weeks.
Since I will fly to NYC from Hong Kong, so need some Visa stuff and hope the Jan interview will not affect the result!
And good luck on your interview!!

Sorry if I wasn't clear. The admissions office says they will reach a final decision on your application (acceptance/rejection/possibly waitlist) within 3 weeks of your interview. Sometimes sooner. I think the only advantage to interviewing earlier is getting a final decision earlier.

But Stern says they accept around 70% of people they interview and even advertise minority candidates to interview in February. Since such a large amount of invites are going out this week and probably next, that means most candidates won't interview until January. Therefore there can't be that big of an advantage.

Thanks so much!
But when the admission officer say about the 3-week deadline decision. So sorry I have not heard about it.
Hope we all can get in!!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Send PM
angell0903 wrote:

Thanks so much!
But when the admission officer say about the 3-week deadline decision. So sorry I have not heard about it.
Hope we all can get in!!

Here is the info from the website about final decisions.

Quote:
Post-Interview Decision
If you receive an interview invitation, it is important to note the amount of time it will take for the Admissions Committee to provide a final decision. Upon receiving the interview invitation, you must first schedule the interview. After the interview, it will typically take up to three weeks to receive a post-interview decision. Also note that the Admissions Committee will not make a final decision until your official transcript(s) and any other requested materials have been received and verified.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.28
WE:Project Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
pway wrote:
dr0xlunltd wrote:
pway wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks.

Thanks, what exactly do you mean when you say that they use a rolling admissions process? Will I get the decision earlier and be at an advantage if I submit my application now instead of closer to 15th January deadline? Do they review all applications of a particular round together like most schools or is it like Columbia's admissions?

Sorry I thought I submitted a response to this but for some reason it didn't show. The way it was described in the tour was that the rolling admissions works almost like Columbia's, with the exception that they established Deadline Dates for submission so that they could give you specific Initial Notification Dates based upon when you submitted. Essentially, they will review applications as they come in, so if you submit now or by January 15th, they are committing to sending you an initial notification by April 15. That said, the earlier you can submit a complete application, the earlier they can start reviewing it.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
dr0xlunltd wrote:

Sorry I thought I submitted a response to this but for some reason it didn't show. The way it was described in the tour was that the rolling admissions works almost like Columbia's, with the exception that they established Deadline Dates for submission so that they could give you specific Initial Notification Dates based upon when you submitted. Essentially, they will review applications as they come in, so if you submit now or by January 15th, they are committing to sending you an initial notification by April 15. That said, the earlier you can submit a complete application, the earlier they can start reviewing it.

Okay thanks. I visited Stern too but either I missed this info or it wasn't shared on the day..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Stern '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
WE:Analyst (Retail Banking)
Send PM
pway wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks.

I just finished putting together a Stern acceptance rate analysis. I looked specifically at the acceptance rate by round and found that although the raw acceptance rate for round 3 was lower, it was explained by the difference in the candidates profiles, so round is not statistically significant. I can see that your GMAT score is 770, if I assume you are similar to the average candidate in every other way, then your odds of admission are 39% which is significantly higher than average. If anyone wants to get a rough idea of their chance of admission, post a comment on that article with your GMAT, GPA, age, years of work experience, industry and undergraduate major and I'll respond with my prediction.

Keep in mind that the prediction can't take into account the quality of your resume and essays or your performance on the interview, but it will give you a rough idea of your odds.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.87
Send PM
I applied on 10/9 (R1). Invited to interview on 11/12. Interviewed on 12/4. I interviewed on campus and received a T-shirt and customized packet of information when I arrived. Interviews are conducted by a member of the admissions committee who is familiar with your application. My resume and essays were on the desk in front of my interviewer. Interview debrief:

Career history
Career goals
Accomplishment at work you are proud of
You listed a few companies in your essay - what is your dream company?
What would you say to a recruiter at your dream company?
What concerns would they find during recruiting? (Application weaknesses)
What do you expect from career services and what will you do?
You've talked a lot about what you like about Stern - what impact do you want to leave?
What are you excited/worries about going back to school?
What do you do for fun in your spare time?
Any questions?

The interview lasted 30 minutes but felt really fast since she already had a clear understanding of my path. She said I would get a decision in 2-3 weeks. Three weeks would land on Christmas, but they are trying to get decisions out by 12/20. Two of the students in my class visit on 12/3 had interviewed on 11/12 and 11/13 but hadn't gotten decisions yet due to Thanksgiving break.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Send PM
marg2015 wrote:
I applied on 10/9 (R1). Invited to interview on 11/12. Interviewed on 12/4. I interviewed on campus and received a T-shirt and customized packet of information when I arrived. Interviews are conducted by a member of the admissions committee who is familiar with your application. My resume and essays were on the desk in front of my interviewer. Interview debrief:

Career history
Career goals
Accomplishment at work you are proud of
You listed a few companies in your essay - what is your dream company?
What would you say to a recruiter at your dream company?
What concerns would they find during recruiting? (Application weaknesses)
What do you expect from career services and what will you do?
You've talked a lot about what you like about Stern - what impact do you want to leave?
What are you excited/worries about going back to school?
What do you do for fun in your spare time?
Any questions?

The interview lasted 30 minutes but felt really fast since she already had a clear understanding of my path. She said I would get a decision in 2-3 weeks. Three weeks would land on Christmas, but they are trying to get decisions out by 12/20. Two of the students in my class visit on 12/3 had interviewed on 11/12 and 11/13 but hadn't gotten decisions yet due to Thanksgiving break.

Thanks for this!!! What would I say to a recruiter at my dream company is a question I wouldn't have expected. Do you think the adcomm meant why the recruiter should hire us? Or why we want to work for our dream company?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.87
Send PM