Last visit was: 06 May 2024, 03:17 It is currently 06 May 2024, 03:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Dallas Texes Exes, Toastmasters, DFW IT Professionals
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology, Marketing
Schools:McCombs, MIT
 Q49  V41
GPA: 3.2 at UT
WE 1: IT Outsourcing
WE 2: IT Outsourcing
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: PE/VC
Schools:Tuck R1, Darden R1, McCombs R1, Fuqua R2 (Int-w/d)
 Q44  V44
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Texas
 Q48  V41
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: 2 Year Rotational Program
WE 2: 1 Year Investment Consultant
Send PM
Re: Calling All Texas-McCombs Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink]
Hello,

New to the forum and impressed by the site. I'm visiting campus next week and was also curious about interviews. Has anyone been caught off-guard by unusual questions? It looks like the interviews have been informal and typical. I'd appreciate any info on the interview experience, especially if conducted on-campus.

Thanks for your help!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Booth, Columbia, Ross, McCombs
 Q48  V41
WE 1: 7 years of IT Consulting
Send PM
Got an admit offer today. Interview on Jan 25th.

Application experience - Applied on Nov 3rd and got the interview invite in December. Interviewed with 2nd year which was pretty standard.

GPA - 3.6 - if converted from 63% in India
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Kudos
ROLL CALL UPDATED
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Mba201008 wrote:
well I've been following this forum lately and wanted to share my experience with McCombs. I think the school's admissions process is highly ill-managed and bureaucratic. Starting from the transcripts to the interview process, i have had trouble with the school through and through. I met one of the admissions officers during an event and when had some issues with my transcripts I emailed home several times but there was no response. I am quite surprised because other schools that I have applied in are very responsive and easy to work with. I think McCombs needs to change their admissions process otherwise they will continue to frustrate applicants. And some of them like me will not join the program even after being admitted, fearing how bureaucratic the school itself must be if the admissions process is as such.

This is just my opinion, others might have had better experiences with them!

I had no problems with them and found their program to be run much better than, say, UCLA (where I did have problems).

The school at large processes all the transcripts and only forwards it onto the MBA office, so you really can't fault the MBA office directly. The school at large has 48,000 students and probably gets 12,000 grad school applications throughout the season. (assuming 1 in 3 is admitted, which is probably about right. I think there are 10,000 grad students, assume 2500 are PhD, so you have about 3700 first-year grad student slots).

Sorry you had a bad experience - don't procrastinate next time.
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V41
Send PM
TexanInSF wrote:
Mba201008 wrote:
well I've been following this forum lately and wanted to share my experience with McCombs. I think the school's admissions process is highly ill-managed and bureaucratic. Starting from the transcripts to the interview process, i have had trouble with the school through and through. I met one of the admissions officers during an event and when had some issues with my transcripts I emailed home several times but there was no response. I am quite surprised because other schools that I have applied in are very responsive and easy to work with. I think McCombs needs to change their admissions process otherwise they will continue to frustrate applicants. And some of them like me will not join the program even after being admitted, fearing how bureaucratic the school itself must be if the admissions process is as such.

This is just my opinion, others might have had better experiences with them!

I had no problems with them and found their program to be run much better than, say, UCLA (where I did have problems).

The school at large processes all the transcripts and only forwards it onto the MBA office, so you really can't fault the MBA office directly. The school at large has 48,000 students and probably gets 12,000 grad school applications throughout the season. (assuming 1 in 3 is admitted, which is probably about right. I think there are 10,000 grad students, assume 2500 are PhD, so you have about 3700 first-year grad student slots).

Sorry you had a bad experience - don't procrastinate next time.

Just got a response from the 2nd Alumni. Very quick turn around.

I agree with TexanINsf. I haven't had any issues with getting a response from the school.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
I didn't have a problem contacting an Alumnus, I was able to finalize mine within 24 hours. Though I imagine Dallas would have a lot of application, and not so many from my geographic location.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools:Michigan 2012
Send PM
Congrats to all w/ good news....

I feel like my UT application stalled out very early. I have been stuck at "we've received all the items needed to review your application for admission" for at least 10 days. Anyone else in the same boat? I wish my package was at least with adcom!
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V41
Send PM
My application still says

"We've received all the items needed to review your application for admission."

but I received my interview invite 7 days ago. Not sure if others have had this discrepancy. This could also explain the transcripts issue everyone seems to have. Perhaps they are reviewing your app but they status hasn't been updated.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Technology Management
Schools:Columbia, Stern, Darden, UNC, McCombs, MIT
 Q47  V36
Send PM
I am able to schedule an interview as of this morning - have not received an official invite e-mail yet !! Looks like the 'Saturday morning invite mela' is on this weekend as well.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools:Michigan 2012
Send PM
anandnesan wrote:
I am able to schedule an interview as of this morning - have not received an official invite e-mail yet !! Looks like the 'Saturday morning invite mela' is on this weekend as well.

where do you see that?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Technology Management
Schools:Columbia, Stern, Darden, UNC, McCombs, MIT
 Q47  V36
Send PM
Follow the link to the Application Status -> Interview Site from the Dean's letter page. You will see the Interview Scheduler on your left hand side navigation panel.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Schools:Duke (R1), UNC-KF (R1), UT-McCombs (R1), Wash U $$ (R1), Emory $$ (R1)
Send PM
Has anyone received any information regarding scholarships? Have they been sent out already?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Stanford, Haas, UCLA, Darden, Booth!!, Kellogg, UW, UT-Austin, USC, UCI
 Q50  V38
WE 1: 4 Years Airline Pilot
WE 2: 1 Year International Jet Instructor (Uruguay)
WE 3: 1 Year Startup Flight School
Send PM
I was accepted at the beginning of the month and didn't hear anything about scholarships until yesterday evening. They sent an email saying they were offering a $10K Merit Scholarship and In-State tuition, which would bring the price tag down by $42K. Sweet!

I thought that if you didn't get a scholarship at notification, you wouldn't get one. Maybe they gave it to someone else first who ended up declining.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I'm R2 international applicant. anyone who is not from the states got the interview invitation?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
ROLL CALL UPDATED

congrats ultraeasy. I think $10K is the maximum amount of scholarship McCombs offer. $42k is definitely a good deal for a McCombs MBA.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: PE/VC
Schools:Tuck R1, Darden R1, McCombs R1, Fuqua R2 (Int-w/d)
 Q44  V44
Send PM
2012MBA wrote:
Has anyone received any information regarding scholarships? Have they been sent out already?

I posted this on the Admitted to McCombs thread, but I'm sure not everyone's checking that... I was admitted back in the beginning of December and I just got an email last week regarding scholarships. When I was accepted I was told I would be notified about scholarships in two weeks, but it actually took closer to two months. :) So if you've been admitted but haven't heard about merit aid, I would be patient.

For roll call purposes, it's $10k (over the two years), but no in-state tuition waiver. Not huge, but definetly appreciated!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Hi,

Need some guidance.
I received an admit email last Friday for Class of 2012 and should be getting the acceptance package next week. I am still waiting on other schools so don't want to make a decision. At the same time, I certainly want to be considered for scholarships at McCombs.

The email says - "If you’ve been selected for a scholarship you will be notified by e-mail from our Director, usually within a couple weeks of receiving your acceptance notification".

So, that tells me that I need to accept the offer and have a few questions:
1) Is everyone accepting the offer to be considered for scholarship? Yes, the email says that but I just want to confirm.
2) How much do I need to pay to accept the offer?
3) What happens if I want to decline it later for another school?

Thanks for the help.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  27   28   29   30   31   32   33  ...  70