GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 07 Dec 2019, 04:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all Waitlisted Applicants - Tuck (Dartmouth) Class of 2021

new topic post reply Update application status  
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMATClub
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Calling all Waitlisted Applicants - Tuck (Dartmouth) Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2018, 05:15
Manager
Manager
B
Calling all Waitlisted Applicants - Tuck (Dartmouth) Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 29 Dec 2018, 22:59
I was a Indian Male Re-applicant to Tuck in R1. Got wait listed.

Can someone help me understand the following :

1. Typically, how good are the prospects of a wait list being converted at Tuck (Please emphasize on my India Male re applicant candidature). Although Tuck is a top school, it still is a safety school for some very serious candidates. Guessing a lot of admits declining their offer. Might also depend on the number of wait list candidates(Any number here ? Tuck cites around 100)

2. When will Tuck announce their final decision ? Is it when R1 admits decline their offer, or do they pool in all the wait listed candidates after R2 (both R1 and R2), and then come with the final decision ?

3. What are some good measures, apart from higher GMAT score / promotion, to highlight an improved candidacy ? Visiting Tuck in person would be difficult for me, but would that significantly help ?

Thanks a lot.

Originally posted by agbsharma on 20 Dec 2018, 04:37.
Last edited by Narenn on 29 Dec 2018, 22:59, edited 1 time in total.
Topic merged in Tuck WL thread so as to have all WL discussions in one place
Darden School Moderator
G
Reviews Badge
Help me understand Tuck Wait list process  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2018, 05:07
Don't think anyone will be able to give you really clear responses to your questions, but I'll give it a whirl. FWIW, I'm an Indian male reapplicant as well and was on the waitlist of a different school last year for 6 months. I did get into a couple of schools in R1 this year, Tuck included.

1) I don't think you'll find any clear information about this anywhere. It will depend every year, but this link by MBA Data Guru should give you some insight. Please note that the conclusions might be flawed because its completely dependent on self-reported data.

http://www.mbadataguru.com/blog/mba/mba ... 2019-data/

2) Based on previous years, looks like it could be any time. Typically best times to look out are during R2 decisions and during deposit deadlines. It could also only happen after R3. I don't agree that a lot of people decline their offer, Tuck really tries to make sure that the people they admit really want to be there. Their yield is around 50% and has held pretty steady. Also, people pick Tuck over M7 schools regularly because of its culture. Anecdotally, I know someone who was waitlisted at Tuck in EA and didn't make it in at all.

3) I did some coursework while I was on the waitlist and I wrote a letter of interest aside in addition to the measures you mentioned. It still wasn't enough to get me off the waitlist despite a pretty major improvement of my GMAT score. I did visit the campus this year to interview and I think it was the best decision I made. However, I'm fairly certain they don't expect you to do it from India. The cost is pretty significant and there is no guarantee it will move the needle or make any difference to your waitlist decision. You might be better off spending that time and effort on your R2 apps, but its your call.

This is just based on my experience as a reapplicant to Tuck and as someone who's been on the waitlist, I'm absolutely not an expert. Take everything I've said with a grain of salt and maybe speak to students at Tuck to get a better idea.
Current Student
B
Concentration: General Management
Schools: Tuck '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Re: Help me understand Tuck Wait list process  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2018, 12:57
If you keep in touch with admissions, you could get pulled off the waitlist right up until orientation starts. I know students who were called the day before orientation began and were offered a spot in the class, so it's definitely possible assuming you show commitment.
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Help me understand Tuck Wait list process  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2018, 22:43
airo wrote:
If you keep in touch with admissions, you could get pulled off the waitlist right up until orientation starts. I know students who were called the day before orientation began and were offered a spot in the class, so it's definitely possible assuming you show commitment.
What you say may be possible with domestic applicants but I suspect they would admit any international candidates so late considering the significant amount of time visa processing takes.

MBA Video Series - Video answers to specific components and questions about MBA applications.

2020 MBA Deadlines, Essay Questions and Analysis of all top MBA programs
MBA Section Director
V
Re: Calling all Waitlisted Applicants - Tuck (Dartmouth) Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2019, 00:00
The transcript from Yesterday's live chat session with Amaranth has been posted in the following link

https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-it-to-win ... l#p2203046
Status: No matter how bad it is or how bad it gets: I am going to make it.
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V32
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.8
WE: Sales (Other)
Re: Calling all Waitlisted Applicants - Tuck (Dartmouth) Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2019, 06:06
Hi guys!
Maybe this could be helpful to better understand the life and culture at Tuck. Will appreciate the kudos ;)
https://gmatclub.com/forum/a-day-in-the ... s#p2220552
B
Schools: Tuck '21 (WL)

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2019, 05:17
Hello all, anyone aware of any movement in the R1 waitlist so far?
MBA Section Director
V

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2019, 05:21
paaa1234 wrote:

paaa1234

From Tuck's decision tracker, I see one person got an admit(14 hrs ago) from R1 waitlist.

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 5.50.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 5.50.13 PM.png [ 46.29 KiB | Viewed 1830 times ]

B
Schools: Tuck '21 (WL)

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2019, 05:24
workout wrote:
paaa1234 wrote:

paaa1234

From Tuck's decision tracker, I see one person got an admit(14 hrs ago) from R1 waitlist.

Attachment:

Thanks! How do you know he is a waitlist?
Darden School Moderator
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2019, 05:28
paaa1234 wrote:
workout wrote:
paaa1234 wrote:

paaa1234

Attachment:

His status was updated as "Admitted from WL". It could be wrong because its self-reported, but there's no way of being sure.
MBA Section Director
V

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2019, 05:29
paaa1234 wrote:
workout wrote:
paaa1234 wrote:

paaa1234

Attachment:
The attachment Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 5.50.13 PM.png is no longer available

Check the icon pointed by the arrow in the following screenshot. We use that icon to represent "Admitted from waitlist". Also, if you to the decision tracker link I put above, you can click on "Admitted from Waitlist" icon to filter.

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 5.50.13 PM.png [ 46.64 KiB | Viewed 1824 times ]

GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V46

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2019, 12:13
Hi all sorry for the delay, I did get a call yesterday afternoon after being waitlisted round 1. I was really fortunate to be able raise my gmat from 730 to 780 by really grinding on quant and getting a 1 point bump on verbal. After that I wrote a concise note to admissions reiterating my interest (Tuck has been by number 1 choice throughout the process) and informing them of the score increase, and to expect my official results soon. Best of luck to all of you I hope there’s more movement. It’s a stressful spot to be in

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all Waitlisted Applicants - Tuck (Dartmouth) Class of 2021   [#permalink] 14 Mar 2019, 12:13

Calling all Waitlisted Applicants - Tuck (Dartmouth) Class of 2021

new topic post reply Update application status