GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Apr 2019, 07:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all Waitlisted applicants Yale SOM (2019 Intake) Class of 2021

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Re: Calling all Waitlisted applicants Yale SOM (2019 Intake) Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2019, 05:32
ash3105 wrote:
In the waitlist confirmation email that was sent out a few weeks ago, there was some wording to the effect that by confirming your position on the waitlist you are committing to attend should you gain acceptance. If, in the best case scenario, I get admitted and am hoping to compare my options before committing, is it fair to stay on the waitlist? Not sure if all schools have this same policy or how people typically handle this. Also, is there any chance of scholarship with waitlist acceptances?

Posted from my mobile device

Did everyone on the WL receive this email?
I was waitlisted R1 without interview and then interviewed with R2 candidates. I am awaiting a decision next week but received no such email. That is probably a bad sign right?
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.57
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling all Waitlisted applicants Yale SOM (2019 Intake) Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2019, 06:01
WaitlistMuch, I interviewed and was waitlisted in R1, so maybe it was just for that specific group.

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Yale '21 (WA)
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2019, 06:45
I got wait listed for R1 with no interview, then got the interview with the R2 applicants. When I submitted the form to stay on the Yale wait list, there's no policy that one has to attend if the wait list turns into an acceptance. I have never heard of any policy like this though. This is interesting.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 620 Q39 V35
GMAT 2: 630 Q42 V35
GMAT 3: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT ToolKit User
Calling all Waitlisted applicants Yale SOM (2019 Intake) Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2019, 13:17
Seems like there's quite a bit of chatter around this policy of accepting an offer should one get off the waitlist. I was WL in R1 without an interview and subsequently did not receive an interview invitation in R2 either. Per my waitlist confirmation form, below are the direct words of staying on the waitlist:

"By remaining on the waitlist, you are confirming your intention to join the Class of 2021 should you be admitted."

I wonder what dictates who gets this wording since it seems there's a bit of discrepancy on which group got this specific policy and which group didn't. Either way, I don't think Yale accepts anyone without an interview so I'm likely out of the running but wish everyone the best! Only a few more days.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2019, 08:48
Any updates for any WL candidates today?

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2019, 09:21
I’m a R1 waitlist and was admitted via phone around 10am this morning. Good luck!

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2019, 11:37
aktogr wrote:
I’m a R1 waitlist and was admitted via phone around 10am this morning. Good luck!

Congrats! :) Happy to see people get accepted off the WL.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Nonprofit
GPA: 3.7
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2019, 14:45
Hi everyone, Just got waitlisted in R2
I have a question...Do waitlisted candidates only hear back on the decision date of the next round? Or can it be earlier?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2019, 18:08
Hey guys I applied to Yale in R1 and got waitlisted with no interview. Then I interviewed with the R2 applicants a month before R2 decision date, and just got accepted today. So for those of you that got waitlisted, please don't lose hope! This is what I did throughout the four months period between Dec when I got waitlisted and April when I got accepted. Hopefully this can help other people on the same boat.

1/ I'm currently pursuing my master's in data science, which will finish in June, 2 months before the MBA starts. So every term when new grades are posted, I submitted my updated transcript on the portal.
2/ I work on the asset management team of a private equity real estate firm. In the past months, I got a chance to work on a portfolio deal. So I updated my resume and submitted on the portal to reflect this new responsibility at work.
3/ I completed the Corporate Finance Institute's Financial Modeling & Valuation Analyst certification. So I updated my resume on the portal to reflect this new credential.

Looking back, the weakest part of my application is the GMAT of 680 (Q48, V35). I retook the GMAT twice and scored worse both times, so I knew I couldn't really raise my GMAT score. Thus, I focused on other aspects of the application such as resume and transcript. The day before the interview, I wrote Yale a nice letter to explain other aspects of my professional and personal activities that show my communication and verbal skills to overcome the low verbal score on the GMAT. I also stated that Yale is my #1 choice for business school. I think it's important to not bombard admissions with emails but keep them posted with new progress in your personal and professional lives. Hope this will help. If anyone wants to chat more about my journey to convert the WL to an acceptance, please feel free to PM me directly. I'm happy to share my experience. I'm thankful for this forum and so excited for the next chapter of my life. I already accepted the offer from Yale and paid the deposit. It's been such a tough journey to apply to business schools, but the result is so worth it. So don't give up!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2019, 14:07
I applied R2, and was waitlisted w/o an interview. Feedback from adcom was to maybe show more quantitative skills - aka retake the gmat (T:720, Q46, V44) or take an additional course in statistics or microeconomics. However, I really don't see how to make a significant change in score or take a course (average 8 weeks/usually start in the summer) in the next couple of weeks as interviews come out. Are people really doing the above? What thoughts?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2019, 17:48
avacado90 wrote:
I applied R2, and was waitlisted w/o an interview. Feedback from adcom was to maybe show more quantitative skills - aka retake the gmat (T:720, Q46, V44) or take an additional course in statistics or microeconomics. However, I really don't see how to make a significant change in score or take a course (average 8 weeks/usually start in the summer) in the next couple of weeks as interviews come out. Are people really doing the above? What thoughts?

I applied in R1 and got WL with no interview as well. My problem was the opposite with good quant and low verbal score. But I completed the Corporate Finance Institute certification program. Not sure if that will help you, just FYI. In your case, since AdCom gave you specific feedback with action items, I think it's critical to at least attempt to do something. In other cases where there's no specific feedback with action item, I think it's ok to just wait it out.
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V41
Calling all Waitlisted applicants Yale SOM (2019 Intake) Class of 2021  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2019, 16:07
avacado90 wrote:

Hi,

I personally believe Q46 is relatively lower against applicant pool and it could have been a factor of waitlisting especially when other parts of your applications are admireable but not stellar. I myself got Q47 which I also thought low in terms of percentile yet likely mitigated by the fact that I am a CFA charterholder.

I had a dinner invite from a Senior Adcom recently when Yale visited my country for the first time. During the 2 hour chat, he told me that Yale is one of the schools that really looks at a holistic evaluation view (more qualitative I would say) and really looks for candidates who have strong will power to succeed as they believe things are learnable and efforts are something they value a lot. Yale is also looking at profiles more closely, giving chances to people who have a broader mission in life, embracing the global integrated view. They have seen a lot of applications talking about specific technical functionalities (consulting, finance etc), but they are starting to be more interested in a candidate who wants to pursue big dream eventually in life, even they yet know how, and really have the ability to connect the dots and have an expanded view of the world.

I felt like I screwed up my first half of interview (did not properly connect and explain my career arc) but my unique perspectives about life (my solo trips across 20 cities in South East Asia), my upbringing (14 siblings including a deaf brother) and my determination (4 gmat attempts) were proven valuable to them. I believe above all my concluding remark post me sharing my chosen quote from shawshank redemption, get busy living or get busy dying, saying that ‘I do not dream to be a Prime Minister but if in any way I can give back to my country and the society, that would really mean a lot to me’ really won the Senior Adcom during interview to recommend me for the class of 2021.

My point is, what Yale likely wanna see is sheer determination and effort. I agree with another fellow, perhaps its effort that counts, take some quan courses such as statistics if any (coursera also will do), but during your status update to adcom I suggest you to show more on other parts particularly your unique attributes and fit to Yale (diversity, global, integrated etc). MBA application is a game of chance, and Adcom might not be able to specifically pinpoint your gap against other applicants and it seems like yr quan gmat is the most obvious. But, if someone else reviews your application file and picks up a few areas that are ok but do not really impress them, you can also give updates in many different ways to the Adcom. At least your application file will be warm as they have no choice but to consider you again. Feel free to reach out if you need anything, and never give up ok :)

GMAT Club Bot
Calling all Waitlisted applicants Yale SOM (2019 Intake) Class of 2021   [#permalink] 16 Apr 2019, 16:07

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 32 posts ] 

Calling all Waitlisted applicants Yale SOM (2019 Intake) Class of 2021

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap