It is currently 22 Sep 2017, 10:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling Chicago GSB 2008 applicants

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 761 [0], given: 5

Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2007, 10:17
jpjazzman wrote:
I guess they want to best Wharton by a day! I love it

Did it during interview invites too.

I must admit that you do form an immediate attachment to the first school you get into. Since I found out I got into kellogg I have thought hard about what it would be like and read more on it...heck I think I would put a better app together now. It is smart for a school to let people in before others, as soon as you get in you start picturing yourself in that school, so if you wait a month to find out from another school then your may have made your mind up already.

For all his GSB speak, Rhyme had a thread last year (K vs GSB) and it was interesting to see his progression towards his decision. I doubt he will admit it but up until that point I felt like his top pick was Kellogg and was waiting to see.

rhyme wrote:
I'm just impressed with GSB plain and simple. Kellogg may be great too, and I may well end up there if I get accepted, but right now, I feel a much greater connection to GSB than I do Kellogg.

He is right, you definitely do create a connection because your dream has become a reality and you no longer think about what B-school will be like in general but what it would be like at the school you got into. I am doing what Rhyme attempted to last year, wait and see and after I find out good or bad then I will really sit down and make a decision. Its tough at times because I still dont want to get my hopes up with GSB, I feel my profile is a love it or hate it...its very different so a school will either really value that or they wont.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society

Kudos [?]: 2163 [0], given: 7

Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Premium Member
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2007, 11:29
Quote:
For all his GSB speak, Rhyme had a thread last year (K vs GSB) and it was interesting to see his progression towards his decision. I doubt he will admit it but up until that point I felt like his top pick was Kellogg and was waiting to see.

I think it was just a case of "grass is greener" -- I had an admit from GSB, I wanted one from Kellogg. Odds are, I'd have been having the same exact debate the other way around if Kellogg had admitted me first. You are however absolutely correct that when I started the admissions process in July/August... Kellogg was most decidedly ahead of the GSB. Mostly because I thought the GSB was all finance, all quant, all dork, all work, etc. Fall Preview last year showed me just how far off base I really was with that view.

Your point about forming an attachment is absolutely true. By the time Kellogg got back to me, I had already interacted with maybe a hundred people at the GSB - met with maybe two or three dozen local admits -- talked with career services, met a 2nd year, talked about the career prospects, etc. By then, I'd been wrapped into the fold quite well, and any school would have had a hard time winning me back. I was invited into a family, and I didn't want to betray it. Odds are, you'll end up feeling that way about Kellogg and you'll end up there.

That said, I'm glad I ended up here. The faculty are un-friking believable, the academics truly are stellar, the sheer RAW intellectual power/curiosity running through people here is awesome, and I'm having the time of my life. Short of my summer months when I was 16 or so and running around like nuts in Europe spending all night on beaches and running around on a scooter, this has been the best time of my life. I never want it to end. I'm learning everything I want to learn, experiencing a million different things, tackling things I know nothing about, and proving to myself that I can stand next to the brightest minds in this country and hold my own - something that I never thought I could do (and if I just stop typing this post and go back to studying, I might actually get a 4.0 this quarter). I'm being courted by every top firm I could ever wish for - they are all here - and I'm meeting and developing networks and bonds that reach a thousand times deeper and farther than anything I could have ever dreamed. I'm surrounded by people with experiences that blow my mind - an olympic medalist, a museum curator, a 25 year old multi-millionaire entrepreneur, a pastry chef, a UN volunteer from Africa - it's such a fascinating and transformative experience. I'm becoming a better speaker, I'm learning how to manage relationships, tackle difficult issues, and manage a "personal brand" -- skills that will serve me the rest of my life. I can see myself becoming less like my previous peers, and more like my previous directors. In short, I have only one complaint: I want to start over and do this quarter all over again.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2007, 11:38
Very well written, rhyme. I think I know why there's such a spike in the number of applications for Chicago this year. It's all because of Rhyme's salesmanship.

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2007, 11:58
mNeo wrote:
Very well written, rhyme. I think I know why there's such a spike in the number of applications for Chicago this year. It's all because of Rhyme's salesmanship.

Seriously! I'm beginning to regret not including it in my lineup... :wink:

...there ain't no such thing as a free lunch...

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2007, 12:31
Great post Rhyme, I hope we all enjoy next year as much as you are enjoying your 1st year. I think that in reality your description of career opportunities and the amount you are learning holds true at all the elite and ultra elite schools.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

Schools: Chicago Booth 2010
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2007, 12:38
i guess an email is supposed to go out today about the decision date change to Dec 19th. an adcom on the forums has confirmed this.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2007, 12:52
Just wondering if anyone has actually gotten that email yet. . .

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2007, 13:16
gnr646 wrote:
Just wondering if anyone has actually gotten that email yet. . .

Just got it.

The Chicago GSB Office of Admissions staff is pleased and excited to announce that final admissions decisions for Round 1 applicants will be released on Wednesday, December 19th, 2007.

As you know, this is a change from our original decision date of Thursday, January 3rd, 2008. Due to the tireless work of the Admissions Committee to thoroughly review all applications, we have been able to move up our decision date in the hopes of relieving the stress of waiting for a decision, and allow our applicants to enjoy the holiday season by providing a final decision a bit sooner.

While the outcome won’t be positive for everyone, we believe the majority of our applicants will appreciate the change in the decision date to begin to make future plans and arrangements, as well as enjoy the celebrations that come along with this time of year.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact at 773-702-7369 or at admissions@chicagogsb.edu.

Best wishes,

Chicago GSB Admissions Office staff

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Schools: Chicago Booth 2010
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2007, 13:21
i just got it too

Manager
Manager

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2007, 13:31
Did anyone else's heart skip a beat when they saw "Chicago GSB Office of Admissions Update" in the subject line? I knew what the email was, but still, the blood preasure spiked a little. After all the time spent on GMAT, apps, research, etc. . . . a decision is at most 15 days away. Let the clock watching begin. Good luck folks!!

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2007, 13:48
Gonna be a great xmas for some and one that adds to the stress level of others. GMATclub killed it during interview invites, lets hop our luck continues with a huge majority of acceptances.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2007, 16:21
Well, there you have it! Its official! T minus 13 days !!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2007, 21:09
rhyme wrote:

stop playing with our internal calenders "quant-jock" Rhyme :) - tis only T minus 15 days as of yet..........we dont reach the hallowed T min 13 point till the 6th of Dec

but seriously ........just how nervous are you guys. Till now (thats till even after my interview) I was the epitome of calmness.........suddenly I can't seem to fart anymore - instead I am shitting bricks (apoligies to those reading the forum before lunch or something........but I really am nervous)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 8

Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2007, 22:13
How big are the bricks??

I have stopped looking at the calendar.

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 8

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 408 [0], given: 14

Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2007, 00:08
Oh my! You guys are lucky (or unlucky, however you want to look at it)! :) I wish Haas, Stanford, or UCLA releases their decisions that early!!!

Good luck everyone! River, you probably hit it spot on regarding growing attachment to the first school that admits you. Maybe some newbie next year will be reading your process of shifting from MIT/GSB to Kellogg and how you ended up there, just like we are looking at rhyme's progression. haha! :lol:

Kudos [?]: 408 [0], given: 14

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2007, 05:20
sangoman wrote:
rhyme wrote:

stop playing with our internal calenders "quant-jock" Rhyme :) - tis only T minus 15 days as of yet..........we dont reach the hallowed T min 13 point till the 6th of Dec

but seriously ........just how nervous are you guys. Till now (thats till even after my interview) I was the epitome of calmness.........suddenly I can't seem to fart anymore - instead I am shitting bricks (apoligies to those reading the forum before lunch or something........but I really am nervous)

You say T - 15, but I'm betting that 98% of the admit calls happen on that Monday, T-13, or technically, at this point, T-12.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2007, 05:27
kryzak wrote:
Good luck everyone! River, you probably hit it spot on regarding growing attachment to the first school that admits you. Maybe some newbie next year will be reading your process of shifting from MIT/GSB to Kellogg and how you ended up there, just like we are looking at rhyme's progression. haha! :lol:

If I only get into Kellogg then obviously I will end up there. If I get into GSB or MIT too, then its going to be a very tough decision. I love aspects about all of them and at this point I am planning on going to admitted student weekends at all schools I get into just to make sure I make the right decision. I am sure the admitted student weekends are going to be even more of a sales pitch than the Live Event but meeting future classmates would be a big decisions...maybe I will do a school X vs School Z post like Rhyme to get input.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2007, 07:52
Hi Rhyme, can you elaborate on which top firms are on campus?

Also, I would like to get your insider opinion on what the chances are of getting into Chicago with mediocre stats but strong interview.

thanks.

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2007, 09:51
Chicago's website has a list of companies that recruit there...its long and impressive and includes all the big MBA players.

http://www.chicagogsb.edu/fulltime/care ... anies.aspx

At the GSB live event they pretty much said interviews dont really get people in but the sure can keep people out. There is too much difference between interviews. Its not like MIT where adcoms perform all the interviews. One alum could be very easy going and give out glowing reviews of everyone, another could be incredibly hard on people and give brutal reviews. Its not like a GMAT where the playing field is equal.

An average applicant's best bet is going to be on the essays. Thats where your impact will be maximized since the people making the decisions are the ones reading them. A stellar set of essays is going to have far more pull with getting you in than the greatest interview in history at GSB.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2007, 11:11
aceman626 wrote:
Hi Rhyme, can you elaborate on which top firms are on campus?

Also, I would like to get your insider opinion on what the chances are of getting into Chicago with mediocre stats but strong interview.

thanks.

Well, whats "top" depends on what you are recruiting for I guess, but off the top of my head (in no particular order): Goldman, Lehman, BCG, Miller Brewing, Bain, McKinsey, Deloitte, Booz Allen, Citigroup, Citibank, Deutche Bank, Credit Suisse, Morgan Stanley, Fidelity, Bear Stearns, UBS, Pimco, BOA, BMO, LEK, Symantec, Microsoft, Apple, Google, Walmart, Target, Unilver, Diageo, Discover, United Airlines, Merill Lynch, IBM, BP, PG&E, DOW, Kaplan, Mattel, Pepsi, Bose, Wells Fargo, GMAC, Exxon, Barclays, a whole ton of investment firms that I don't know by name, Accenture, Kraft, Ford, 3M, Abbott Labs...

[#permalink] 05 Dec 2007, 11:11

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  31   32   33   34   35  ...  135    Next  [ 2681 posts ]