It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 08:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling out all GMAT assassins for help. My case: 560 in 3 attempts.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

CAT Tests
Calling out all GMAT assassins for help. My case: 560 in 3 attempts. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2017, 05:11
Over the years, I have seen so many members having their GMAT miseries sorted out in the best of ways by paying heed to experts' suggestions.

Dear all 700 scorers, please this time help your another fellow member who is in dire need of respectable scores to apply to respectable business schools before the third round. I spent nearly two years to prepare for the GMAT. Yesterday was my third attempt but I still scored below 600. I scored 560 (Q40, V27). In my first attempt I scored 440 and in second I scored 500.

I tried everything. The Economist, Manhattan SC, EmpowerGMAT, CR Powerscore Bible, and E-GMAT.

I must admit here that E-GMAT has helped me tremendously in Verbal as I managed to increase my verbal score by 9 points (from V18 V27). Even CR Powerscore Bible did improve my accuracy in CR.

But my situation is very tense. I need to apply to respectable business schools before the third round for 2018 intake. I have already studied for GMAT for 2 years and can no wait for one more year to join a good business school.

I feel I can't apply to the universities in the second round so I am contemplating on applying in the third round that ends in March. Also there are universities in Canada, such as British Columbia and Toronto, whose second rounds end in February.

I am willing to give one more shot at GMAT. Please tell me from where shall I prepare for one month, what should I do, and which prep course, in your opinion, is worth spending on? Is there any prep course out there that can help me improve.

I studied with Empower GMAT for two weeks and it did help me in RC. Is it worth enrolling in one month plan? My E-GMAT subscription ends on 13th December. I took their Verbal online course. Shall I renew my subscription with them, or shall I upgrade my current Verbal course to Verbal Live Prep that even includes webinar recordings?

Or do I need more coaching? Do I need more practice? Do I need to practice more Official questions?

At this stage, I am even willing to accept even 600+ scores. If I can't score 700+ then so be it. I will be happy even if I can get 600+ in my fourth attempt but I want to know how can i cover that deficit in short amount of time.

Please help me my fellow GMAT club members. :( :( :(

Taha

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

EMPOWERgmat Discount CodesMath Revolution Discount CodesOptimus Prep Discount Codes
Verbal Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 199

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Calling out all GMAT assassins for help. My case: 560 in 3 attempts. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2017, 08:43
Hello Mohyuddin91 (Looks like you accidentally posted the same post thrice, I have removed the other two dupes)

Sad to hear that your third attempt was not up to the mark and there can be various reasons for the same.

- Did you panic on the exam day?
- Did your mocs represent the same score?

From what I see the score of 560 means there is still a lot of work needed on the basics. Once you are through on the basics then it is more of practice.

From course per say I would say, it does not matter. If you choose the course based on others suggestion then there is a high possibility that you will not get enough out of it. (This applies even to the worlds best courses). You should take trial and see if you like the course, if the method suites to your understanding, etc.

To start with you should order ESR to see which are those areas where you need improvement. Once you identify those, the best solution is "PRACTICE" considering you have less time in your hand recommend you to stick official questions only.

Here are some of the links that may help you.

How to improve verbal score:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-impro ... 13013.html

How to Improve GMAT Quant from 30-35 to 40-44

https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-impro ... 42810.html

At the end its great to see that you have still not lost motivation to appear for the exam for the fourth time and this clearly shows your dedication.

Spend some time in reading the debriefs from other people as this will give you great insight and some great tips.

Hope this helps and wish you all the best - Hope you get your dream score this time.

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Worried About IDIOMS? Here is a Daily Practice List: https://gmatclub.com/forum/idiom-s-ydmuley-s-daily-practice-list-250731.html#p1937393

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 199

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 380

GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Calling out all GMAT assassins for help. My case: 560 in 3 attempts. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2017, 08:52
Mohyuddin91 wrote:
Over the years, I have seen so many members having their GMAT miseries sorted out in the best of ways by paying heed to experts' suggestions.

Dear all 700 scorers, please this time help your another fellow member who is in dire need of respectable scores to apply to respectable business schools before the third round. I spent nearly two years to prepare for the GMAT. Yesterday was my third attempt but I still scored below 600. I scored 560 (Q40, V27). In my first attempt I scored 440 and in second I scored 500.

I tried everything. The Economist, Manhattan SC, EmpowerGMAT, CR Powerscore Bible, and E-GMAT.

I must admit here that E-GMAT has helped me tremendously in Verbal as I managed to increase my verbal score by 9 points (from V18 V27). Even CR Powerscore Bible did improve my accuracy in CR.

But my situation is very tense. I need to apply to respectable business schools before the third round for 2018 intake. I have already studied for GMAT for 2 years and can no wait for one more year to join a good business school.

I feel I can't apply to the universities in the second round so I am contemplating on applying in the third round that ends in March. Also there are universities in Canada, such as British Columbia and Toronto, whose second rounds end in February.

I am willing to give one more shot at GMAT. Please tell me from where shall I prepare for one month, what should I do, and which prep course, in your opinion, is worth spending on? Is there any prep course out there that can help me improve.

I studied with Empower GMAT for two weeks and it did help me in RC. Is it worth enrolling in one month plan? My E-GMAT subscription ends on 13th December. I took their Verbal online course. Shall I renew my subscription with them, or shall I upgrade my current Verbal course to Verbal Live Prep that even includes webinar recordings?

Or do I need more coaching? Do I need more practice? Do I need to practice more Official questions?

At this stage, I am even willing to accept even 600+ scores. If I can't score 700+ then so be it. I will be happy even if I can get 600+ in my fourth attempt but I want to know how can i cover that deficit in short amount of time.

Taha

Hi
Sorry to hear that your GMAT didn't go well.
First of all, I would suggest instead of enrolling for many courses, try to understand the root of the problem.
Whether there is difficulty in understanding the questions or whether a particular strategy is not working for you. Identify which are your weak areas and which are your strong areas.
After identifying the weakness and strengths you can start with working on your weakness.
As you already have enrolled in courses try to understand the strategies used in solving problems.
In your resources list, I could not find the OG anywhere. The OG is the best practice material for GMAT. You must solve all questions of the OG as they are retired GMAT questions and are the closest reflection of questions you will face in the actual test.
IMO if you solve the OG completely and remember the question types, it is sufficient to score a 600+ on the GMAT.
You still have some time for preparation upto February. All the best for your preparation.
Hope it helps.

Please give kudos, if you like my post

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going...

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 380

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3700 [0], given: 173

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2017, 12:32
Hi Mohyuddin91,

To start, raising your score 120 points is a significant achievement. Raising your recent 560 to a much higher score will take some significant effort though - and you'll have to study in a more structured, consistent fashion. It's not clear how exactly you've been studying for the last 2 years, but working through practice materials over short periods of time is NOT a great way to prepare for the GMAT. You mentioned that you used the EMPOWERgmat Course for just 2 WEEKS - but most of our Clients hit their 'peak' scores after 3 months of consistent, guided study (and I doubt that working just 2 weeks with any 'brand' of study material would allow you to master the necessary skills to score at a high level). If you've been spending short 'chunks' of time with the various resources that you've listed, then that might help to explain why you have not scored a lot higher yet.

Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. In addition, with a 560/Q40/V27, you have the potential to pick up a LOT of points in both the Quant and Verbal sections.

1) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
2) What are the exact application deadlines for the Schools that you're planning to apply to?
3) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Kudos [?]: 3700 [0], given: 173

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 6

CAT Tests
Re: Calling out all GMAT assassins for help. My case: 560 in 3 attempts. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2017, 03:23
Mohyuddin91 wrote:

Taha

Hi,

Did you go through your ESR report, where are you committing mistake. GMAT on third attempt but not looking at yur ESR is nearly a sin to be honest to you.

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 6

Re: Calling out all GMAT assassins for help. My case: 560 in 3 attempts.   [#permalink] 19 Nov 2017, 03:23

Calling out all GMAT assassins for help. My case: 560 in 3 attempts.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap