Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:04 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Cambridge Judge vs HEC Paris vs IMD vs INSEAD

11% [1]
22% [2]
0% [0]
66% [6]
Tags:
HEC Parisx   IMDx   INSEADx   Judgex   
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 4
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 501 [3]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 4
Send PM
Moderator - Masters Forum
Own Kudos [?]: 2148 [1]
Given Kudos: 276
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V13
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Re: Cambridge Judge vs HEC Paris vs IMD vs INSEAD [#permalink]
Kudos
apsternb wrote:
Hello everybody!

I have postponed my decision to the very last minute and I'm still undecided, so I thought that I could share my situation here for advice.

I've been admitted to Cambridge and HEC (both with scholarships), will hear final decision from IMD next week and I'm currently being interviewed by INSEAD.

I'm a 34 year old male from Latin America. I'm a civil engineer with an MSc and I've worked for the last 6-7 years in project management (engineering and construction). My goal is to remain in Industry, probably changing to the energy sector, but I remain open to explore other options. I'm NOT interested in management consulting or IB. I would like to work in Europe and eventually come back to my country in the mid-term. I am also an EU national (Germany), so no problems with visa. It would actually be very nice to work in Germany (though it is not mandatory)

A strong point for me is that I will be going with my wife and 1 year old son and I also want them to have the best experience possible. For this reason Cambridge and IMD seem like the best options, but I also don't want to make a huge investment and not attending the best school I can for my goals.

My takes on the Schools so far:

HEC: Pro's: Best experience with the admissions team, attractive curriculum, strong in Industry, specializations
Con's: Longer program, far away from the city (thinking about my family), not very known where I'm from.

Cambridge: Pro's: Strong in tech & Entrepreneurship, concentration, attractive experiential curriculum (I realy like their projects), awesome for families, strong brand
Con's: Not much employability outside the UK, not outstanding rankings

IMD: Pro's: Strong in Industry, personalized approach, small cohort, very good for families, good options in mainland Europe, very global.
Con's: Switzerland is expensive!, not very known where I'm from I also have the sense that the first 4-5 months are extremely intense (leaving the school at 0:00 is a common thing, bad for the
family)

INSEAD: Pro's: Top school in Europe (and the world?). Incredible network, great opportunities in almost every industry, the most international one.
Con's: The most expensive program, life in Fontainebleau can be boring for families (we may need a car...). The admissions team hasn't been very helpful, unlike HEC (for me it is a sign for the
support during the program)

I'm leaning towards Cambridge Judge, but would love to hear your thoughts. Is there something I'm not considering, or maybe something I'm wrong about? What would be your advice?

I won't know about INSEAD until after my deadlines to respond to Cambridge and HEC. Should I wait for them and take the risk, even if I don't want consulting? Maybe ask for a deadline extension?

Thanks for reading :)

Congratulation on your admission/Interviewed. Ranking wise INSEAD is Top in Europe. I recommend you INSEAD even if you didn't get the schlorship.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I have a similar dilemma. Which one did you choose in the end and how is it going?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V42
Send PM
I find it extremely frustrating that posters never come back to tell us which school they end up choosing
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [0]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Agree. apsternb - bump. Perhaps this will reach you. Where did you end up?

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 485 [0]
Given Kudos: 839
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
bb, I tried seeing his profile, it says that the user doesn't exist anymore .
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
Send PM
Kudos
I'm a current student at HEC and can probably clear some of your doubts.
Hec is wierd in the sense that within France, it is probably better regarded then other Eu schools, even when it comes to recruiting into MBB for example. But to make full use of this, you gotta speak perfect French. We have 10 French students in our class and they get headhunted like you wouldn't be at Harvard.
Now for internationals it's s different story. I'm international and we do all get jobs but not our first choice usually. But neither do the ones at lbs or insead.
The problem is as one comment mentioned, it's a bit relaxed over here at hec. Most people want to enjoy France ;) . 2nd the career center is...let's put it nicely.. not great. But if you want to really compare to the big daddys in Eu, the lbs and insead career centres career usually career to Europeans only and internationals are left to their own devices except for tech which hec does will in as well. This is because of cultural differences of non EU students and visas.
Now for non Europeans, hec gives similar outcomes Vs insead or lbs except in high finance. I would go so far as to say for non Europeans, hec, judge , said , lbs , hhl, whu , Mannheim , imd all give similar outcomes in terms of salaries +-20k because unlike USA , English doesn't suffice for the best jobs.
Now if you are a very serious type, don't do an MBA in Europe cuz MBA schools don't want to tell you this but most students end up partying (more then USA). I was a bit disappointed about this at HEC and on researching, I found it's the same at insead too. Not sure of lbs. Our essays about changing the world now seem ridiculous. Oh well.
Do I like Hec ? Yes the professors are great. Cohort is tight knit. We will end up with decent jobs especially if you speak French.
Career centre can be improved.
Do I suggest other schools ? Not really cuz I hear things are equally bad/good. Knowing what I do know now, I would pick a German school. They give better salary outcomes due to stronger economy. Imd beats every single European schools ass on salary being in Switzerland. Choose wisely. :)

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
Send PM
Kudos
Also I now think a top 20 us school would be better then the best European school. Speaking after talking with exchange students and my own friends at m7 and lbs/hec/insead/judge

GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts