Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:13 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35483 [200]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35483 [41]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [9]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1162 [1]
Given Kudos: 228
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.62
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Camus broke with Sartre in a bitter dispute over the nature of [#permalink]
Bookmarks
generis wrote:
Camus broke with Sartre in a bitter dispute over the nature of Stalinism.

A) in a bitter dispute over
B) over bitterly disputing
C) after there was a bitter dispute over
D) after having bitterly disputed about
E) over a bitter dispute about

Yikes! This sentence doesn't make sense to me and I don't know what/who Camus or Sartre are! I'm going to guess that they are people since they are capitalized. Even then, saying "Mike broke with John in a bitter dispute..." doesn't make sense to me, I don't know what "broke" means here.

All that being said, I'll give this a shot.

Meaning: Camus and Sartre got in a dispute. The subject that they disputed on was the nature of Stalinism. Two people do not "broke." Maybe it means they "broke up" like two people that are in a relationship do when they decide to no longer be in a relationship. Let's go with that. Either way, there was a dispute that did not end well.

A) Camus broke with Sartre in a bitter dispute over the nature of Stalinism.

Again, I don't know what that means "broke" with Sartre, but I'm eliminating this because I don't think the "over" and "it" are used idiomatically.

B) Camus broke with Sartre over bitterly disputing the nature of Stalinism.

Verb Tenses! We went from past tense "broke" to present tense "disputing." Eliminate.

C) Camus broke with Sartre after there was a bitter dispute over the nature of Stalinism.

This changes the meaning a little bit. More specifically our timeline. Camus broke with Sartre after there was the dispute. I think this timeline change might be enough to eliminate this one.

Also, "bitter dispute over the nature of Stalinism." I know what this is trying to say, but from a literal sense, I think what it is really saying is that there was a bitter dispute about the nature of Stalinism.

D) Camus broke with Sartre after having bitterly disputed about the nature of Stalinism.

I don't love the verb structure here: "after having disputed..." This would make more sense if it said "after disputing." The "having" is not needed here and I'm sure it breaks some rules.

E) Camus broke with Sartre over a bitter dispute about the nature of Stalinism.

I'm going with this one! Camus broke with Sartre over a dispute. So the "over" is acting as a synonym of "because of." I think that makes sense.

The dispute was about the nature of Stalinism. I like this word choice better than the options in (A) and (C) that say the dispute was over the nature of Stalinism.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Hi,

Camus broke with Sarte in a bitter dispute over the nature of Stalinism

Meaning- So the sentence says that Camus broke with Sarte and then prepositional phrase explains how did he break? That is in a bitter dispute over the nature of Stalinism

I cannot distinguish between Option A and Option E as I have seen both cases. But I can surely comment on rest other options

Option B .. preposition is not followed by a noun
Option C ... change in meaning by adding a sequence not present in the original sentence
Option D ... change in meaning by adding a sequence not present in the original sentence
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 288
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
Send PM
generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 16: Sentence Correction (SC1)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

NOTE: For this question, BEST or EXCELLENT answers must include the meaning of this sentence.

The best or excellent answers get kudos, which will be awarded after the answer is revealed.

TIME magazine - April 28, 1980 | Vol. 115 No. 17 (LINK)

World: Inadvertent Guru to an Age

Sartre expounded his ideas in nine plays, four novels, five major philosophical works, innumerable lectures, and essays written for Les Temps Modernes, the magazine he helped found in 1945. Among its contributors was another action-oriented writer, Albert Camus, who subsequently broke with Sartre in a bitter dispute over the nature of Stalinism, which Camus deplored. Sartre led demonstrations, fired off protests and manned almost every political barricade raised by the left. Ironically, his most conspicuous disciples—the young, the bitter and the cynical—did little or nothing and understood Sartre least. Had he not proclaimed life absurd, reality nauseating and man free—of moral laws, religious commandments, restricting obligations either to ideals or family? The long-haired beatniks became part of Sartre's mystique.

Dispute over is the correct idiom
Left with A and C
Though the sequencing is not mentioned in the original sentence but it make the sentence more clear
So C is the answer
Waiting for the OA
Please correct me if I am wrong generis
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Send PM
Answer:
A) Camus broke with Sartre in a bitter dispute---error with 'in'--we do not brake in dispute ,we brake up due to/because of dispute.
B) Again 'over' does not conjugate the sentence correctly... also 'bitterly' is awkward.
C) after there was a bitter dispute over--- dispute over something makes exact sense plus 'after there was' conjugates the sentence correctly---IMO RIGHT CHOICE.
D) 'DISPUTED ABOUT'- wrong because we dispute over something not dispute about something.
E) AGAIN DISPUTE ABOUT here is wrong.

IMO (C) is a better choice over other options.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35483 [1]
Send PM
Camus broke with Sartre in a bitter dispute over the nature of [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 16: Sentence Correction (SC1)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

NOTE: For this question, BEST or EXCELLENT answers must include the meaning of this sentence.

The best or excellent answers get kudos, which will be awarded after the answer is revealed.

TIME magazine - April 28, 1980 | Vol. 115 No. 17 (LINK)

World: Inadvertent Guru to an Age

Sartre expounded his ideas in nine plays, four novels, five major philosophical works, innumerable lectures, and essays written for Les Temps Modernes, the magazine he helped found in 1945. Among its contributors was another action-oriented writer, Albert Camus, who subsequently broke with Sartre in a bitter dispute over the nature of Stalinism, which Camus deplored. Sartre led demonstrations, fired off protests and manned almost every political barricade raised by the left. Ironically, his most conspicuous disciples—the young, the bitter and the cynical—did little or nothing and understood Sartre least. Had he not proclaimed life absurd, reality nauseating and man free—of moral laws, religious commandments, restricting obligations either to ideals or family? The long-haired beatniks became part of Sartre's mystique.

MikeScarn and Wonderwoman31 I am not sure whether the spoiler in this question had been posted when you answered.

I did not put the spoiler on this post, but we have two likely candidates.
I would put long money on hazelnut , our most tenured SC moderator,
whose ability to find original is unbelievably good.

Read the spoiler.

Only one poster has the correct answer so far, though I like the way
people are "thinking out loud."

"Broke" in this instance is very idiomatic.

It means "break away from" over a schism, a split, in belief systems.

Prepositions are strange in this idiom.

You do not need a "because" substitute; broke with sort of implies a "because."

Let's say I have an intellectual companion, friend, fellow writer, and fellow philosopher.
We are probably the two most influential writers and thinkers in France.
He decides to defend totalitarian governments.

We get into a bitter dispute because he claims that the government he supports is not totalitarian.

In the midst of the bitter dispute that lasts a few years, finally I break with him because I cannot
bear to think of supporting totalitarianism.
(I have just fought in the French resistance in World War II.
We both have.
I am worried because he is so influential, and he is defending a monster.)

This idiom is very compact.

If you figure out which one of you is correct so far,
simply post again, or add to your post at the bottom.

It helps people learn to see other people
reasoning their way through a question.
It helps people (many people!) learn to see that one line of reasoning
wasn't quite correct.

Often we have to know what is not correct before we can know what is. :)
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 82
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
generis I am confused between A and E. Could you please explain the difference.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35483 [3]
Send PM
Camus broke with Sartre in a bitter dispute over the nature of [#permalink]
Kudos