GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 28 Mar 2020, 07:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Canadian Resident here, Europe Vs Canada

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Canadian Resident here, Europe Vs Canada  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2020, 10:24
Hi All,

I am an Indian citizen with a Canadian PR. I am trying to figure out which schools are best for my situation.

I have already done a masters in the US so doing an MBA at a US school is out of question since I don't qualify for an OPT and don't want to risk the H1b lottery.

So my other options are Canada and Europe.

I want to get into top B schools but Canadian schools seem to be not that well regarded. I think I have a decent shot at top European schools such as HEC Paris but as an Indian Citizen I am worried that It would be difficult to get a work visa in Europe (Esply since I don't speak any local European languages other than English). What do you guys think?

How well known are European B schools in Canada? What are my chances of finding employment in Canada post MBA from an European School ?

Should I just go for a Canadian B school?
INSEAD School Moderator
V
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Canadian Resident here, Europe Vs Canada  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2020, 10:52
nofaceyet

If this 2-year work visa goes through as planned, I would look at UK schools in the fall. But first, really try to research the presence of alumni from various schools in Canada. If you are in Quebec then schools in francophone countries might have sway; but if you are in Toronto, or other parts of Canada, my feeling is that British schools might be better, ie, Cambridge, Oxford, LBS. Also research alums on Linked In from Canadian schools that are lesser ranked but more alums present in your city- Rotman, Ivey, UBC. If you are in Toronto, Ivey is a good choice because you can apply early to enhance your chances.

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/why-uk-must-implement-integrated-study-visa#survey-answer

nofaceyet wrote:
Hi All,

I am an Indian citizen with a Canadian PR. I am trying to figure out which schools are best for my situation.

I have already done a masters in the US so doing an MBA at a US school is out of question since I don't qualify for an OPT and don't want to risk the H1b lottery.

I want to get into top B schools but Canadian schools seem to be not that well regarded. I think I have a decent shot at top European schools such as HEC Paris but as an Indian Citizen I am worried that It would be difficult to get a work visa in Europe (Esply since I don't speak any local European languages other than English). What do you guys think?

How well known are European B schools in Canada? What are my chances of finding employment in Canada post MBA from an European School ?

P
Concentration: Leadership, Operations
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2020, 19:51
Hi nofaceyet ..
Following the discussion from our last POST, I would suggest to apply HEC. Adding Cambridge/Oxford/Manchester if you plan to settle in UK. 2 year extension visa is always an advantage.

Apply to a school in a country where you want to settle. It is always an advantage to do so because of bigger alumni network, reputation, brand value, etc. Decide where you want to settle and apply accordingly. Europeans schools such as Cambridge/Oxford/HEC are highly renowned in Europe. Apply to Ivey, Rotman, Queens in Canada. If you are thinking to do an MBA from Europe and want to settle in Canada, you will face issue in finding a job initially. Also, the compensation in Canada is lower than in Europe.

nofaceyet wrote:
Hi All,

V
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V13
GPA: 3.6

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2020, 10:39
nofaceyet wrote:
Hi All,

Hi, Canadian schools might be low in rankings, not in standards. There are 5-6 ranked top 100 shools in FT and QS rankings. If you are keen on rankings, try the UK. Now they are providing a 2yrs work permit. even the course cost also low compared to other US/Canadian B-Schools.
Experts' Global Representative
S
Canadian Resident here, Europe Vs Canada  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2020, 19:01
nofaceyet wrote:
Hi All,

Hi nofaceyet,

As an international student, one will always face challenges and there are no safe havens as such. However, one must understand that there are always a significant number of opportunities and one must focus on one's performance and learning; fine employment shall follow, albeit after conquering some challenges.

Having said the above, if you are looking to settle down in Canada, it makes greater sense to study in Canada due to the networking opportunities you will have. The Canadian schools may not be so highly ranked but they are fine programs to attend, nonetheless.

All the best!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation
GMAT Club Bot
Canadian Resident here, Europe Vs Canada   [#permalink] 27 Feb 2020, 19:01

Canadian Resident here, Europe Vs Canada

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Hatakekakashi