Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 05:15 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 05:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 259
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 405
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE:Business Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 95
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 580 Q45 V25
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4655 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
"Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza must have its crust, which resembles a [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Crismore wrote:
Hello,

I agree with the correct answer choice. Still I am a bit curious about answer E. I discarded this answer choice because for me I considered the last clause of that answer choice (bolded) an independent clause, and there should be a noun or pronoun between the "so" and "takes". I know that there are other issues with this answer choice, but I just want to make sure whether I am correct or not in this independent clause principle. I would appreciate any thoughts about that.

Cristhian

(E) Because its crust is more like a pie crust than a traditional pizza-style flatbread, "Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza must have its crust baked alone before toppings are added, and so takes longer than most other types of pizzas to prepare it.

Hi Crismore,

You can read that part of the sentence like this:
1. "Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza (a) must have its crust baked alone before toppings are added, and so (b) takes longer than most other types of pizzas to prepare it.And so should be read as and therefore.
or

"Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza
(a) must have its crust baked alone
and so
(b) takes longer... to prepare it

Both (a) and (b) are verb phrases.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Send PM
Re: "Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza must have its crust, which resembles a [#permalink]
Kudos
AjiteshArun wrote:
Crismore wrote:
Hello,

I agree with the correct answer choice. Still I am a bit curious about answer E. I discarded this answer choice because for me I considered the last clause of that answer choice (bolded) an independent clause, and there should be a noun or pronoun between the "so" and "takes". I know that there are other issues with this answer choice, but I just want to make sure whether I am correct or not in this independent clause principle. I would appreciate any thoughts about that.

Cristhian

(E) Because its crust is more like a pie crust than a traditional pizza-style flatbread, "Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza must have its crust baked alone before toppings are added, and so takes longer than most other types of pizzas to prepare it.

Hi Crismore,

1. "Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza (a) must have its crust baked alone before toppings are added, and so (b) takes longer than most other types of pizzas to prepare it.And so should be read as and therefore.
or

and so

Thanks AjiteshArun

So these two parts are instead in a parallelism right? I thought when we see a "comma + conjunction" it was a sign that an independent clause was coming, and therfore there should be a noun or pronoun as the main subject of this new independent sentence. I'll be very grateful If you have any thoughts or examples to understand better this concept that seems that I need to strengthen.

Cristhian
CR Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 643 [1]
Given Kudos: 558
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: "Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza must have its crust, which resembles a [#permalink]
Kudos
Crismore wrote:
AjiteshArun wrote:
Crismore wrote:
Hello,

Cristhian

Hi Crismore,

or

and so

Thanks AjiteshArun

So these two parts are instead in a parallelism right? I thought when we see a "comma + conjunction" it was a sign that an independent clause was coming, and therfore there should be a noun or pronoun as the main subject of this new independent sentence. I'll be very grateful If you have any thoughts or examples to understand better this concept that seems that I need to strengthen.

Cristhian

Grammar aside, E also suffers from a very strange meaning - the sentence starts with "Because its crust rembles..." implying that the reason it must take longer to prepare is because the crust resembles pie crust. This is not the case, it takes longer to prepare because the crust must be baked separatley, not because the crust resembles pie crust.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4655 [1]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
"Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza must have its crust, which resembles a [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Crismore wrote:
Thanks AjiteshArun

Cristhian

Hi Crismore,

Those are some really good questions. Let's start with what's happening behind the scenes (point 1):

1. Sentences (1a) and (1b) are the same.

1a. {sub1} {verb1} and {verb2}.
is the same as
1b. {sub1} {verb1} and {sub1} {verb2}.

All that's happening here is that content that is common to both elements joined by the and is being removed ({sub1} is common to both). Basically, (1a) is a reduced form of (1b). Although in some cases we may prefer the longer version, this is generally a good thing, as it makes the sentence shorter and simpler.

2. To answer your first question, yes, you can absolutely look a this as a list of two verbs.

3. As for your second question, I know where you're coming from on this, as that "rule" has gained a lot of traction on GMAT Club. However, that "rule" really isn't all that reliable. A ", and" between two elements doesn't necessarily mean that those two elements must be independent clauses. Go through this official question, and then take a look at the correct option:

A newly developed jumbo rocket will be able to deliver a heavier load of instruments into orbit than the space shuttle can, and at a lower cost.

The problem with punctuation is that there are very few absolutes, very few rules that we can apply with confidence. This is why I generally advise my students not to prioritise calls based on punctuation.

You could also go through this video. The discussion on punctuation starts at around 1H:25.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
AjiteshArun wrote:
Crismore wrote:
Thanks AjiteshArun

Cristhian

Hi Crismore,

Those are some really good questions. Let's start with what's happening behind the scenes (point 1):

1. Sentences (1a) and (1b) are the same.

1a. {sub1} {verb1} and {verb2}.
is the same as
1b. {sub1} {verb1} and {sub1} {verb2}.

All that's happening here is that content that is common to both elements joined by the and is being removed ({sub1} is common to both). Basically, (1a) is a reduced form of (1b). Although in some cases we may prefer the longer version, this is generally a good thing, as it makes the sentence shorter and simpler.

2. To answer your first question, yes, you can absolutely look a this as a list of two verbs.

3. As for your second question, I know where you're coming from on this, as that "rule" has gained a lot of traction on GMAT Club. However, that "rule" really isn't all that reliable. A ", and" between two elements doesn't necessarily mean that those two elements must be independent clauses. Go through this official question, and then take a look at the correct option:

A newly developed jumbo rocket will be able to deliver a heavier load of instruments into orbit than the space shuttle can, and at a lower cost.

The problem with punctuation is that there are very few absolutes, very few rules that we can apply with confidence. This is why I generally advise my students not to prioritise calls based on punctuation.

You could also go through this video. The discussion on punctuation starts at around 1H:25.

Thanks AjiteshArun for the explanation. The issue is clearer now to me. Thank you so much!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
mysterymanrog wrote:
Crismore wrote:
Crismore wrote:
Hello,

Cristhian

Hi Crismore,

or

and so

Thanks AjiteshArun

Cristhian

Grammar aside, E also suffers from a very strange meaning - the sentence starts with "Because its crust rembles..." implying that the reason it must take longer to prepare is because the crust resembles pie crust. This is not the case, it takes longer to prepare because the crust must be baked separatley, not because the crust resembles pie crust.

Posted from my mobile device[/quote]

Thanks mysterymanrog for your response!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hey guys,

Why is it "have" and not "has" please?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4655 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
Di77 wrote:
Hey guys,

Why is it "have" and not "has" please?

Hi Di77,

That's because there's a must before have. After must, we can use only the plain form, have.

1. It has...
2. It must has...
3. It must have...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Thanks! It sounded right but I didn't know why. Are there any additional words like that?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4655 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
Di77 wrote:
Thanks! It sounded right but I didn't know why. Are there any additional words like that?

Yes. Can, may, might, could/should/would, shall (there may be more). Generally speaking, if you see a helping verb, either the helping verb will change form or the verb will remain the same.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts