GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2018, 02:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Citing the legal precedent set by asbestos exposure cases, a state jud

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Citing the legal precedent set by asbestos exposure cases, a state jud  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 24 Sep 2018, 08:42
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

73% (02:15) correct 27% (02:40) wrong based on 258 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Citing the legal precedent set by asbestos exposure cases, a state judge agreed to combine a series of workplace disability cases involving repetitive stress injuries to the hands and wrists. The judge’s decision to consolidate hundreds of suits by data entry workers, word processors, newspaper employees, and other workers who use computers into one case is likely to prove detrimental for the computer manufacturing companies being sued, notwithstanding the defense’s argument that the cases should not be combined because of the different individuals and workplaces involved.

Which of the following, if true, casts the most serious doubt on the validity of the judge’s decision to consolidate the cases?

A. Unlike asbestos exposure cases, in which the allegedly liable product is the same in each situation, the type and quality of the allegedly liable office equipment is different in each case.

B. The fact that consolidation will accelerate the legal process may prove advantageous for the defense, as it limits the number of witnesses who can testify for the plaintiffs.

C. One of the most common causes of repetitive stress injuries is companies’ failure to allow its employees adequate rest time from using computer keyboards.

D. Whereas exposure to asbestos often leads to fatal forms of cancer, repetitive stress injury typically results in personal discomfort and only rarely in unemployability.

E. The issue of responsibility for repetitive stress injury cannot be resolved without first addressing the question of its existence as an actual medical condition.

This is from the Kaplan Practice Test

Originally posted by arvindg on 28 Jan 2011, 11:01.
Last edited by Bunuel on 24 Sep 2018, 08:42, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesEMPOWERgmat Discount CodesEconomist GMAT Tutor Discount Codes
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Re: Citing the legal precedent set by asbestos exposure cases, a state jud  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2011, 12:18
Hi,

we identify a weakening question, so our task is to find the judge's conclusion, summarize the judge's evidence and then identify the judge's assumption. We then predict that the correct answer will attack the judge's assumption, severing the link between the evidence and the conclusion.

Conclusion: should consolidate the repetitive stress cases
Evidence: precedent set by asbestos cases

What's the missing link? Here, the judge has to be assuming that the reasons for consolidation in the asbestos cases also apply to the repetitive stress cases.

Our prediction to weaken: a key difference between the asbestos cases and the repetitive stress cases.

Only A and D even mention the asbestos cases, so we can quickly eliminate B, C and E.

A: a key difference between the types of cases - correct!

D: focuses on the varying severity of injuries, not the legal aspects of the cases. We're not expected to be legal experts, so we don't know if severity of injury is a valid legal difference. If we don't know, then (D) is by definition outside of the scope.

Here's a good general rule to follow: if an answer requires you to apply outside information (i.e. facts/knowledge not stated in the stimulus or the choice), then it's not the correct answer to the question.
Intern
Intern
Re: Citing the legal precedent set by asbestos exposure cases, a state jud  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2011, 04:01
I chose C because (I thought) it brings out a key difference between the asbestos and the RSI scenarios. If the companies (employers) had given adequate rest time, then their employees would not have developed RSI. This places the blame on the employers instead of the computer equipment manufacturers (who are being sued).

I get the line of thinking that results in the answer A, but it would be useful to know how/why to rule out an answer such as C.
Kaplan GMAT Instructor

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2011, 15:02
arvindg wrote:
I chose C because (I thought) it brings out a key difference between the asbestos and the RSI scenarios. If the companies (employers) had given adequate rest time, then their employees would not have developed RSI. This places the blame on the employers instead of the computer equipment manufacturers (who are being sued).

I get the line of thinking that results in the answer A, but it would be useful to know how/why to rule out an answer such as C.

C might be a valid reason not to find the computer manufacturers liable, but it's irrelevant regarding the consolidation of the cases, which is the issue at hand.

In fact, if C were more strongly worded (more on that below), it might actually strengthen the argument to consolidate, since the same issue would arise in every case. Basically, the judge could preside over every case against the computer manufacturers together and throw them out en masse for the same reason, saving taxpayers the cost of hundreds of different trials.

Further, C does not bring out a key difference between the two types of cases - it provides no information at all about the cause of injury in the asbestos cases. Since C only provides info about one of the two, it's impossible to classify it as a "key difference" indicator.

Another reason to eliminate C is its weak language. For weakening questions, the general rules is that we want a powerful reason to doubt the conclusion. Qualified language, such as "one of the most common", generally indicates wrong answers on strengthen and weaken questions.

For example, what exactly does "one of the most common causes" mean? It could mean that it's true 80% of the time. However, it could also mean that there are 100 different causes and, at a 5% occurrence rate, this explanation is among the most common 2 or 3 of those 100. Since we can't quantify C without outside information, it can't be the right answer.

As a small aside, assumption and inference questions have the exact opposite trap; for those question types, we typically avoid extreme wording in the answers.
Manager
Manager
Schools: University of Economics Prague
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2011, 17:50
Oh nice question which takes long to understand, but at the end, everything fits together.
Btw: the judge would have a lot of work, when processing suits of GMAT test takers, because of theirs eye injury :)

You want somethin', go get it. Period!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2011, 19:38
skovinsky wrote:
C might be a valid reason not to find the computer manufacturers liable, but it's irrelevant regarding the consolidation of the cases, which is the issue at hand.

Stuart, thanks for the explanation. I now get it.
Manager
Manager
Schools: McIntire, Fuqua, Villanova, Vandy, WashingtonU

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2011, 23:10
Both A & D are valid. Question would have been great w/o D in it. Different outcomes DO lead to different rulings, it's a common sense; you dont have to be a lawyer. One is death, another is discomfort. Clearly packing them together in one case is wrong. There is a too big of a contrast between outcomes (death vs discomfort) to ignore option D.

12/23 GMATPrep #1: 730 q50 v38
12/26 MGMAT CAT #1: 730 q50 v40
01/01 MGMAT CAT #2: 710 q51 v36
01/12 Real GMAT #1: 690... WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!
02/28 Real GMAT #2: ...

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2011, 00:15
I went with D. But as per skovinsky, the OA is A.

Edit: I agree with PussInBoots. D is too tempting to ignore.
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2011, 19:40
D is a comparison trap. The answer choice will compare two things which are irrelevant to the conclusion. We are interested in "why" of consolidation rather than the "extent" of the damage.

naveenhv wrote:
I went with D. D is too tempting to ignore.
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2018, 08:11
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Citing the legal precedent set by asbestos exposure cases, a state jud &nbs [#permalink] 24 Sep 2018, 08:11

Citing the legal precedent set by asbestos exposure cases, a state jud

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap