Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:04 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2209 [19]
Given Kudos: 1665
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.97
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1292 [3]
Given Kudos: 351
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 670 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Cockroaches have multi-chambered hearts, shaped more like tubes [#permalink]
akadiyan wrote:
Ans: C

more like / much like
more like is used to refer to Noun and More like is used to explain more accurate . Here we are comparing to cockroaches which is the subject, so we need Much like

Only option C has the correct 'Much like'. Eliminate A,B,D & E based on this.

then / than
Than is used when there is a comparison between two elements. Eliminate A and B based on this.

A. shaped more like tubes which are much more resistant to failure then - INCORRECT

B. shaped more like tubes that are much more resistant to failure then - INCORRECT

C. shaped much like tubes that are much more resistant to failure than - CORRECT

D. shaped more like tubes which are much resistant to failure than - INCORRECT

E. shaped more like tubes which are more resistant to failure than - INCORRECT

What is that modifying in option c
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Re: Cockroaches have multi-chambered hearts, shaped more like tubes [#permalink]
Is it fine to say here : much like tubes, I believe more like tubes is a better comparison line .

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 520 Q41 V21
GMAT 2: 500 Q48 V12
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
The correct explanation is :
1. 'That' should be used instead of 'which' as the information following 'which' is essential. If removed, the meaning of the sentence would not be that intended by the author.

2. 'Than' should be used instead of 'Then' to compare hearts to hearts.

Please correct me if i am wrong.

Thank you

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 246
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35 (Online)
GPA: 3.4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Here is what I did:

(1) Automatically you can eliminate A and B because of the use of "then". Comparisons will require the use of "than"

(2) I used here more X than Y

In D we are saying that the heart of cockroaches are shapes more like tubes than human hearts. Essentially we are saying that it looks more like tubes instead of looking more like human hearts. And that is not what the sentence is trying to convey. We want to say that the heart of a cockroach is more resistant than to failure than hearts.

In E, there is ambiguity on what we are trying to convey. Are we saying that the heart of a cockroach is shaped more like tubes instead of hearts similar to D? Or are we saying that the heart of cockroaches are more resistant to failure than human heart?

In C, we have a clearer comparison.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
Send PM
Can anyone explain when should we use "much like" and "more like" ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 164
Send PM
Cockroaches have multi-chambered hearts, shaped more like tubes [#permalink]
Dear Abhi077 were do you have this question from?

To me all of the answer choices seem to be mistaken. Is this an official question?
In C isn't the comparison still flawed as the tubes are compared with human hearts? Also much is wrong in my opinion!
I have never seen the GMAT use a split between "then" and "than", which doesn't mean that that they have never done so. But the split surprised me as then and than don't mean the same thing they only sounds similar.

Originally posted by GMATE1 on 27 Feb 2021, 07:46.
Last edited by GMATE1 on 09 Apr 2021, 05:01, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
GMAT 1: 600 Q49 V21
Send PM
kashishDhir wrote:

I’ll give a try.

For comparisons we use much for uncountable quantities and many for countable.

More, most, enough, and all work with both countable (plural) and uncountable (singular) nouns.

Here we treated tubes of multi chambered heart as uncountable because we are not sure of the number of tubes.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
C should also be incorrect...hearts are countable so 'much' is wrong. The 'which' in E isn't ideal either because we need an essential modifier...pick your poison.

I don't like this question.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
Saipavan666 wrote:
kashishDhir wrote:

I’ll give a try.

For comparisons we use much for uncountable quantities and many for countable.

More, most, enough, and all work with both countable (plural) and uncountable (singular) nouns.

Here we treated tubes of multi chambered heart as uncountable because we are not sure of the number of tubes.

I don't know that I agree with this. The suggestion that a heart is uncountable is non-sensical and far beyond the realm of possibility. Hearts, bones, lungs...all countable.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Ivey '24 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Send PM
which/that --

which will modify the nearest grammatical eligible noun, and hence compare tubes with human heart. As per the meaning of the sentence it is Cockroaches's heart and human heart in comparison. Therefore A,D and E are out.

Then is used for referring to time whereas than is used for comparison. Therefore, C is the correct choice. 
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 342
Send PM
Cockroaches have multi-chambered hearts, shaped more like tubes which are much more resistant to failure then human hearts.

A. shaped more like tubes which are much more resistant to failure then for comparison THAN must be used

B. shaped more like tubes that are much more resistant to failure then then for comparison THAN must be used , shape is a uncountable noun. Hence use of more is incorrect

C. shaped much like tubes that are much more resistant to failure than correct

D. shaped more like tubes which are much resistant to failure than that is used to give an important information. More error same as in B

E. shaped more like tubes which are more resistant to failure than that is used to give an important information. More error same as in B
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts