Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:36 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.3
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
Schools: CBS '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.86
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Re: Columbia: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink]
breakenter wrote:
dma wrote:
Hey all, just got the call from Columbia! I'm really excited about everything the program has to offer and can't wait to get started.

Background:
28 y/o, 3.85 GPA, 730 GMAT Q48 V42, six years investment banking background and summer internship in investment management

I'm a re-applicant from last year, this time I applied ED and here's my timeline:
Submitted - 8/29
Interview Invite - 9/21
Interview - 9/26
Acceptance - 10/8

As others have stated, demonstrating your passion for the Program is pretty important - I got into some pretty good schools last year but I just thought Columbia was the best fit for me, so I made sure to frame my interview in that way. I also think it's essential to demonstrate steps that you're taking towards your long term goal so it's not some pie in the sky vision. Whether you can do it in the essays or interviews (ideally both), adcom is definitely paying close attention to it. And I would recommend building a rapport with someone in the admissions office, just ask a few questions and try and learn more about the Program. That extra effort will be appreciated.

I'd be happy to answer any questions from pending applicants, good luck to everyone still waiting! It's definitely worth all of the pain and struggle if you get the call :-D

What did you do differently this year / improved upon from last year?

#1, I applied ED this year instead of RD.

My goal coming out of school is buyside investing, which is why I was so focused on Columbia and the Value Investing Program. I resigned from my investment banking job and spent a summer working unpaid for a buyside investment firm. I also submitted an entry into an investment competition (essentially pitching a long or short idea) and received recognition there as well. So my story from last year to this year changed pretty drastically and adcom was able to see that I was taking tangible steps to position myself for IM. I also developed a strong relationship with the managing principal at the firm and he wrote me a really great recommendation, which certainly helped.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
dma wrote:
Hey all, just got the call from Columbia! I'm really excited about everything the program has to offer and can't wait to get started.

Background:
28 y/o, 3.85 GPA, 730 GMAT Q48 V42, six years investment banking background and summer internship in investment management

I'm a re-applicant from last year, this time I applied ED and here's my timeline:
Submitted - 8/29
Interview Invite - 9/21
Interview - 9/26
Acceptance - 10/8

As others have stated, demonstrating your passion for the Program is pretty important - I got into some pretty good schools last year but I just thought Columbia was the best fit for me, so I made sure to frame my interview in that way. I also think it's essential to demonstrate steps that you're taking towards your long term goal so it's not some pie in the sky vision. Whether you can do it in the essays or interviews (ideally both), adcom is definitely paying close attention to it. And I would recommend building a rapport with someone in the admissions office, just ask a few questions and try and learn more about the Program. That extra effort will be appreciated.

I'd be happy to answer any questions from pending applicants, good luck to everyone still waiting! It's definitely worth all of the pain and struggle if you get the call :-D

Can you tell us what it is like working in investment banking? It would help a lot for career switchers thinking about investment banking. Also, why does everyone want to move to buyside? Congratulations on the acceptance!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
Schools: CBS '16 (S)
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V38
WE:General Management (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
dma wrote:

Background:

Submitted - 8/29
Interview Invite - 9/21
Interview - 9/26
Acceptance - 10/8

Congratulations, you must be thrilled!

Judging from the timelines, 3 weeks is the minimum amount of time one can expect a response.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Got my first rejection letter from CBS. Actually didn't hurt as much as I thought it would. Onward and Upward!

Submitted 9/11
Rejected 10/9
Intern
Intern
Send PM
meaganvw wrote:
Got my first rejection letter from CBS. Actually didn't hurt as much as I thought it would. Onward and Upward!

Submitted 9/11
Rejected 10/9

Profile?

Sorry to hear, good luck with the other applications.

Originally posted by breakenter on 09 Oct 2013, 09:28.
Last edited by breakenter on 09 Oct 2013, 09:34, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
breakenter wrote:
meaganvw wrote:

Submitted 9/11
Rejected 10/9

Profile?

GMAT 680
GPA not so great (went to college at 16)
5 years non profit experience, including 3 years international
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
lovelaw27 wrote:
dma wrote:

Background:

Submitted - 8/29
Interview Invite - 9/21
Interview - 9/26
Acceptance - 10/8

Can you tell us what it is like working in investment banking? It would help a lot for career switchers thinking about investment banking. Also, why does everyone want to move to buyside? Congratulations on the acceptance!

I think investment banking is an excellent training ground for finance. You get great training in financial modeling, putting together presentations, attention to detail, working towards deadlines, etc. Hours are terrible, but everyone knows that. I worked at a boutique in Chicago so it wasn't even as bad as it could have been. I'm looking forward to the buyside because I like the job description more (I want to evaluate stocks and make investment recommendations), hours are better, and I think it's a more sustainable career for me, personally.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Submitted for RD! Goodluck to those waiting for ED decisions!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.2
WE:General Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
Just received my admissions acceptance from CBS, what a great feeling! My background and application timeline are below, in case it helps anyone.

Background: 5+ years WE in Military, 3.2 GPA from service academy, 730 GMAT (49Q/40V).

Submitted - 9/13
Interview Invite - 9/27
Interview - 10/3
Interview Report Submitted - 10/5
Acceptance - 10/10

Feel free to PM me with any questions!

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Congrats!! That's a really fast turnaround!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Schools: CBS '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
GMAT 2: 730 Q47 V42
Send PM
EPLax1985 wrote:
Just received my admissions acceptance from CBS, what a great feeling! My background and application timeline are below, in case it helps anyone.

Background: 5+ years WE in Military, 3.2 GPA from service academy, 730 GMAT (49Q/40V).

Submitted - 9/13
Interview Invite - 9/27
Interview - 10/3
Acceptance - 10/10

Nice EPlax! And thanks for the back ground, it's very helpful!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.3
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Other)
Send PM
EPLax1985 wrote:

Submitted - 9/13
Interview Invite - 9/27
Interview - 10/3
Acceptance - 10/10

Congrats buddy! That really is super quick turnaround.. I haven't heard anything from them and I applied only 3 days after you lol.. Good Luck @ Columbia..
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Send PM
The posts from other people on this board have been instrumental to my sanity especially when I was counting the number of "ideal" days after an interview before a decision would come out. Thought I would contribute back by sharing my time line as well.

Background: international male, 25 years old, ~4 years WE in research/consulting, 3.4 GPA from international school, 760 GMAT (50Q/44V)

Submitted - 9/15
Interview Invite - 9/30
Interview - 10/3
Interview Report Submitted - 10/3
Acceptance - 10/10
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V45
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V42
GMAT 3: 760 Q48 V48
GPA: 3.51
WE:Marketing (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi all, just had my interview today. Really laid back and informal. Asked the basic questions. Tell me about yourself, goals, why MBA, why CBS, questions for the interviewer etc. Only one I didn't expect was do you have any reservations about CBS, but I think I handled it fine. Interviewer put in the feedback later today and now the wait begins! Best of luck to you all and I hope I'll be joining all of you admits soon!

And Congrats Eplax and Bleep!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
chains1910 wrote:
Hi all, just had my interview today. Really laid back and informal. Asked the basic questions. Tell me about yourself, goals, why MBA, why CBS, questions for the interviewer etc. Only one I didn't expect was do you have any reservations about CBS, but I think I handled it fine. Interviewer put in the feedback later today and now the wait begins! Best of luck to you all and I hope I'll be joining all of you admits soon!

Let us know when you get that acceptance :!: Any idea why you didn't have more success last cycle with that 760 GMAT and 3.5 GPA?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [3]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V45
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V42
GMAT 3: 760 Q48 V48
GPA: 3.51
WE:Marketing (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
lovelaw27 wrote:
chains1910 wrote:

Let us know when you get that acceptance :!: Any idea why you didn't have more success last cycle with that 760 GMAT and 3.5 GPA?

Oh yea. I did a big post-mortem on my apps last year and found a number of reasons.

I applied to most schools later in the game at the early January deadlines, and didn't end up getting my 760 until late December (UT and MIT never even accepted that score). My essays were not nearly as good as they could have been, since I really didn't give them 100% attention until after I finished the GMAT, and only had ~ a week to work on them (for all 7 schools) at that point.

WE wasn't as strong. The extra year will put me at 51 months vs. 39, so closer to the median for most schools. I also made an unexpected career transition right after I submitted, which I don't think I sold as well as I could have in my CBS interview last year, but has been a great move and was an easy sell this time. I've also made a MUCH stronger effort this time around to network with CBS alums, students and admissions office members, and I visited campus, sat in on a class, went to admissions events and made sure to follow every one of these things up with a thank you note.

Basically, beyond the stats, I just put a much stronger and more calculated product in front of the admissions committee and demonstrated much more interest in the program than last year. I hope this all pays off, but I guess we will find out in the next two weeks! Hope my mistakes from last year can help you guys!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Schools: CBS '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
GMAT 2: 730 Q47 V42
Send PM
chains1910 wrote:
lovelaw27 wrote:
chains1910 wrote:

Oh yea. I did a big post-mortem on my apps last year and found a number of reasons.

I applied to most schools later in the game at the early January deadlines, and didn't end up getting my 760 until late December (UT and MIT never even accepted that score). My essays were not nearly as good as they could have been, since I really didn't give them 100% attention until after I finished the GMAT, and only had ~ a week to work on them (for all 7 schools) at that point.

WE wasn't as strong. The extra year will put me at 51 months vs. 39, so closer to the median for most schools. I also made an unexpected career transition right after I submitted, which I don't think I sold as well as I could have in my CBS interview last year, but has been a great move and was an easy sell this time. I've also made a MUCH stronger effort this time around to network with CBS alums, students and admissions office members, and I visited campus, sat in on a class, went to admissions events and made sure to follow every one of these things up with a thank you note.

Basically, beyond the stats, I just put a much stronger and more calculated product in front of the admissions committee and demonstrated much more interest in the program than last year. I hope this all pays off, but I guess we will find out in the next two weeks! Hope my mistakes from last year can help you guys!

Wow, really appreciate the level of detail Chains, very helpful! Best of luck, I think you've put yourself in a winning position and I bet good news is heading your way :)
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  10   11   12   13   14   15   16  ...  60   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts