Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 18:24 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Columbia: Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink]
nycdweller wrote:
WhatsInYourBackpack wrote:
I don't think that is correct. They go through applications all the time. I thought they just moved to the RD stack. Pretty sure RD interviews would be going out before all the EDs have heard a final decision.

it's possible i'm mistaken but from what i've read, CBS decides on all ED applicants (either to accept, waitlist, or ding) before they start looking at the RD pool (https://www8.gsb.columbia.edu/programs-a ... -deadlines). i thought there was a blog post about someone from AdCom declaring it more emphatically, but can't find it right now.

there will be some EDs who get waitlisted, who won't have a final-final decision rendered until after some of the RD applicants - if that's what you're saying - i totally agree. but for everyone who submitted in ED by the ED deadline, they would hear back before anyone in the RD pool.

I think we are talking about two different things. I think you are talking about final decisions. I was talking about initial notifications about interviews.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [0]
Given Kudos: 140
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
/submitted

Pretend I am lucky enough to be interviewed and admitted...what kind of time frame should I count on for the whole process?

What is the likelihood I'll know by the second week of February?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [3]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Kudos
Got my admission call today

Interviewed on 11/14
Feedback submitted 11/15
Call on 11/22

Decisions are still going out - so ED applicants don't lose hope
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V43
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
tdawg wrote:
nycdweller wrote:
so i submitted my CBS RD application yesterday (yay) and immediately realized i forgot to attach a picture (boo).

anyone apply in ED that did not attach a picture? honestly, does it matter, and to what end?

the picture is referred to as optional in the application, and the "review" part does not highlight the lack of picture, and after calling AdCom today, they said they can attach a picture to my application if i wanted to email it in.

however, i'd rather not be seen as "careless and didn't submit one during my application", so i'm toying with the idea of not sending one in at all and chalking it up to purposely not sending.

thanks for indulging me during this eternal wait for everyone!

I hear only beautiful people, >8.5 on a scale of 10, get into Columbia. ED applicants must be greater than >8. Hence, the photo.

Jk, you should be fine. I wouldn't worry about it!

@nycdweller: I didn't send a picture. No other school (that I've applied to) asks for one, so I didn't have a good one handy. If they want to know whether I'm presentable or not, they should interview me to find out! :wink: I'm not worrying about it.

@tdawg: Funny!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Kudos
rcmba wrote:
tdawg wrote:
nycdweller wrote:
so i submitted my CBS RD application yesterday (yay) and immediately realized i forgot to attach a picture (boo).

anyone apply in ED that did not attach a picture? honestly, does it matter, and to what end?

the picture is referred to as optional in the application, and the "review" part does not highlight the lack of picture, and after calling AdCom today, they said they can attach a picture to my application if i wanted to email it in.

however, i'd rather not be seen as "careless and didn't submit one during my application", so i'm toying with the idea of not sending one in at all and chalking it up to purposely not sending.

thanks for indulging me during this eternal wait for everyone!

I hear only beautiful people, >8.5 on a scale of 10, get into Columbia. ED applicants must be greater than >8. Hence, the photo.

Jk, you should be fine. I wouldn't worry about it!

@nycdweller: I didn't send a picture. No other school (that I've applied to) asks for one, so I didn't have a good one handy. If they want to know whether I'm presentable or not, they should interview me to find out! :wink: I'm not worrying about it.

@tdawg: Funny!

I think it's optional. I didn't submit a photograph. So, I don't think it matters much. If you are submitting a photograph make sure its appropriate and professional. The Ad Comm doesn't want to see a selfie.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Maybe they just like to have a picture up on a screen when they are trying to decided if to admit people or not.
Admin: "I can picture them going to CBS". :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Got the acceptance call today -- ED applicant. Been a lurker on this forum so figured I'd share my stats.

Applied: 10/2
Updated GMAT submitted: 11/11
Interview invite: 11/15
Interviewed: 11/23
Feedback submitted: 11/23
Accepted: 11/25

Profile:
720 gmat
3.4 gpa
International (Indian)
Boutique management consulting

Note: I had decided to retake the GMAT and had requested that the Ad Com not review my file until I had submitted the revised GMAT. I also did a campus visit after submitting my application and sent an email with reflections from campus and class visits.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Kudos
Just got an interview invite for RD. Did not get an email, just showed up in the portal. Feels extremely good after a Stanford reject yesterday :-D

I applied in late September.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
AH202 wrote:
Just got an interview invite for RD. Did not get an email, just showed up in the portal. Feels extremely good after a Stanford reject yesterday :-D

congrats!

yeah, very strange - stanford seems to have sent me the wrong note as well about a rejection.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Send PM
AH202 wrote:

Congrats AH202! Did any other RD applicants hear anything?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
AH202 wrote:

Congrats on the invite!

Are you American? Are you based in the US currently?

Does Columbia allow you to "pick" your own alumni interviewer?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
I am a Canadian and have the option to pick between 7-8 potential interviewers.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Long time lurker here. I'm a Hispanic male from Austin, Texas. I was invited to an information session with CBS back in September. When I attended, I had a really great experience talking to the alums. However, I figured my chances were slim to none so I did not apply for ED or any round since then. Instead, I applied to 6 other schools for Round 1 (including Darden, Tuck, Tepper, etc). I received interview invites at all 6 schools. I keep receiving emails from Columbia regarding scholarships for Latin American students, etc. I'm sure they send this to everyone but still. I'm thinking that perhaps I should apply. Please let me know your opinion.

Stats: 690 GMAT, 4.0 major GPA, 3.7 overall GPA (worked full time through college to support parents), Top Public University in Texas, 6 years work experience (education administration), excellent LOR, Mexican American
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.85
WE:Analyst (Venture Capital)
Send PM
latinomba360 wrote:
Long time lurker here. I'm a Hispanic male from Austin, Texas. I was invited to an information session with CBS back in September. When I attended, I had a really great experience talking to the alums. However, I figured my chances were slim to none so I did not apply for ED or any round since then. Instead, I applied to 6 other schools for Round 1 (including Darden, Tuck, Tepper, etc). I received interview invites at all 6 schools. I keep receiving emails from Columbia regarding scholarships for Latin American students, etc. I'm sure they send this to everyone but still. I'm thinking that perhaps I should apply. Please let me know your opinion.

Stats: 690 GMAT, 4.0 major GPA, 3.7 overall GPA (worked full time through college to support parents), Top Public University in Texas, 6 years work experience (education administration), excellent LOR, Mexican American

Dude - you have great stats and going 6/6 so far validates that. Aside from $250, you have little else to lose!

If you really want to go to Columbia, I wouldn't think about it.

Suerte.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V43
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
latinomba360 wrote:

If Columbia is still at/near the top of your list (relative to the schools you've interviewed at) and if the $250 isn't material to your decision, then you should certainly apply. As they say, you gotta buy the lottery ticket to have a chance of winning!

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V42
Send PM
rcmba wrote:
latinomba360 wrote:

If Columbia is still at/near the top of your list (relative to the schools you've interviewed at) and if the $250 isn't material to your decision, then you should certainly apply. As they say, you gotta buy the lottery ticket to have a chance of winning!

Good luck!

Absolutely agree-go for it and give it ur best...good luck!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
AH202 wrote:
I am a Canadian and have the option to pick between 7-8 potential interviewers.

They give you a list to choose from??

Do they always do this? (and why?)

Apologies if this is a dumb question and I somehow completely missed this.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  39   40   41   42   43   44   45  ...  60   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts