GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2019, 14:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Nea

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Nea  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2017, 06:33
avijit8888 wrote:
Why is "appear to have been equipped" in Option C better than "appeared to have been equipped" in Option D?

It is talking about past; why is "appeared" incorrect?

Thanks
Avijit

The split "appear" / "appeared" is only to confuse the candidates - both are correct. Option D is wrong because of use of the wrong idiom " appear as".

The thought process for solving this problem may go as follows:
Split 1: "appear / "appeared": both make sense - cannot eliminate any option.
Split 2: "appear as" / "appear to be": "appear as" wrong - means to come in sight as something (e.g., He appeared as a joker in the circus.) Eliminate A,C and D.
Split 3: "to face" / "for facing": "for facing" wrong - purpose requires use of infinitive "to face" - eliminate E.
Correct Option B.
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
V
Re: Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Nea  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2018, 05:11
Check out our detailed video solution to this problem here:
https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat-soluti ... ection_755

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2018, 03:28
I do not 100% understand why the OA of this question is B.

As I thought this question is stating about neanderthals (a kind of human from the past) so the tense should be past simple -> I omit A, B, and C.

We have the idiom "appear to V" and it is "to V"; therefore, why can't we state "appear to be equipped" but "appear to have been equipped" like the OA?

Thank you so much for your precious response, I really appreciate that!
Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2018, 20:50
avijit8888 wrote:
Why is "appear to have been equipped" in Option C better than "appeared to have been equipped" in Option D?

It is talking about past; why is "appeared" incorrect?

Thanks
Avijit

simdang wrote:

As I thought this question is stating about neanderthals (a kind of human from the past) so the tense should be past simple -> I omit A, B, and C.

We have the idiom "appear to V" and it is "to V"; therefore, why can't we state "appear to be equipped" but "appear to have been equipped" like the OA?

Ron's answer -

by default, "appear" is in the present tense, since we're talking about the way these things appear to present-day observers.

if there were a context that would place "appear" in the past, then you could use the past tense. for instance: to nineteenth-century observers, they appeared to have been equipped...
but, absent such a context, you should go with the present, for simplicity (the default assumption is that this "appears" to be the case to present observers).

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

in this case, you've also got parallelism between "appear" and "indicates", two descriptions that both describe observations made in the present.
since "indicates" is not underlined, that determines the tense context. so your other observation, which is made at the same time, should be parallel to it.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

"to have VERBed" is a type of infinitive that refers to actions in a timeframe previous to the timeframe of the sentence itself. this is actually the only kind of infinitive that can do this, so it will take the same form regardless of the tense of the main clause.

so, if you write
"the students seem to have cheated"
then
* the sentence itself is in the present ("seem"). so, the sentence is talking about the way things appear to a present observer.
* according to that present observer, it seems to be the case that the students cheated at some point in the past.

if you write
"the students seemed to have cheated"
then
* the sentence itself is in the past ("seemed"). so, the sentence is talking about the way things appeared to a past observer.
* according to that past observer, it seems to be the case that the students cheated at some point earlier in the past.

Mitch's answer

In English, we have two infinitive tenses: the present infinitive (TO + VERB) and the perfect infinitive (TO + HAVE + PAST PARTICIPLE).

The present infinitive expresses CONTEMPORANEOUS action (an action happening AT THE SAME TIME as the main action):
John IS proud TO BE president.
Here, John IS proud (in the present) TO BE president (also in the present).

The perfect infinitive expresses PRIOR action (an action that happened PRIOR to the main action):
John IS proud TO HAVE BEEN president.
Here, John IS proud (in the present) TO HAVE BEEN president (in the past).

One definition of to appear is to seem.
The intention of the SC above is to discuss WHAT SEEMS TO BE TRUE about the Neanderthals.
The Neanderthals appear to have been equipped to face any obstacle..
Here, the Neanderthals APPEAR (in other words, they SEEM -- right now, in the present) TO HAVE BEEN EQUIPPED (in the past).
Intern
B
Schools: ISB '17

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2018, 23:03
tejal777 wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Review 2017

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 755
Page: 700

Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Neanderthals appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path, but their relatively sudden disappearance during the paleolithic era indicates that an inability to adapt to some environmental change led to their extinction.

(A) appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path, (correct idiom is as...as), second as missing

(B) appear to have been equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their path, to face better than for facing in E + later in sentence we have indicates ; appeared and indicates is not same tense

(C) appear as equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their paths, (correct idiom is as...as), second as missing

(D) appeared as equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their path, (correct idiom is as...as), second as missing

(E) appeared to have been equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path,
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
WE: Business Development (Other)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2018, 20:19
Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Neanderthals appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path, but their relatively sudden disappearance during the paleolithic era indicates that an inability to adapt to some environmental change led to their extinction.

(A) appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path,

(B) appear to have been equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their path,

(C) appear as equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their paths,

(D) appeared as equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their path,

(E) appeared to have been equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path,

Hello @e-gmat / daagh -

Could you please explain the usage of have been in choice B. -
I understand that "appear" needs to be preferred over "appeared" because the act of appearing did not happen in the past.
Also, the verb equipped is an adverb here (modifying the verb appear). So we need to convey the meaning in a way so that it is clear that the act of appearing is of the present
but we are eventually talking about past. In short , we need to bring in a flavor of past tense here.
so in choice B - we are doing this with present perfect (in passive voice) - My question is why present perfect . Shouldn't we be using past tense here. I believe,
we can use present perfect on below conditions -
1> event over in recent past but has effect till now
2> there is a continuity in event and it is still continuing,
3> event in past but we don't have any timeline.

Now i know - we can't use (appear as "verb form") . Correct usage is (appear as noun) / (appear to be verb). With "appear to be ..." - i am not sure how can we use a past tense. So B is the best choice but i am not able to find a grammatical reasoning for this. Please help.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q41 V34
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2018, 12:13

(A) appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path,

(B) appear to have been equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their path,

(C) appear as equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their paths,

(D) appeared as equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their path,

simdang wrote:

Dear simdang,

The sentence certainly mentions about the neanderthals, but doesn't talk about them in reference to past rather talks about them in the reference to present. Kindly refer to the Non-Underline portion of the sentence for clarity.For E.g. Verb "indicates" in the non-underlined portion of the sentence is a verb used in the present tense and is used for the singular subject "disappearance". Also "have been" is the present perfect tense and is used for something that started in the past and coming into present.
I hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
B
WE: Business Development (Other)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2018, 06:45
Hello Experts -

Just for my understanding - please let me know, if there is anything wrong with below sentence -

Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Neanderthals appear as they were equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their path, but their relatively sudden disappearance during the paleolithic era indicates that an inability to adapt to some environmental change led to their extinction.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2018, 01:02
tejal777 wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Review 2017

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 755
Page: 700

Here is my approach/LEARNING:
Main issue

1.MEANING:

We are talking about Neanderthals in the present about how they appeared in the past.
For this the correct construction with Verb form is

APPEAR TO + HAVE + EQUIPPED(talking in present timeframe about how it appeared in the past)
APPEAR TO + BE +EQUIPPED(--how it appeared in the past(Not talking in present time frame)

2.Idiom issue

equipped to is prefrred over
equipped for

appear as--
appear as cannot follow a VERB..since as is a prepostion and verb should follow..also appear as means visible as or similiar something
appear to be --
means seems to (intended meaning here)

So clearly B wins and we have all the above takeaways for any new OG probs we crash into :) :)

Press Kudos if it helps !!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2018, 20:58
the Neanderthals appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path, but their relatively sudden disappearance during the paleolithic era indicates that an inability to a

We see the tense of the two bolds needs to be in present ..so appear is correct form..
Now read the the context .We are talking in present about the past.

Sp D and E are out which use appeared.

equipped to face is is correct idiom not equipped for facing..

So A,C is out.

NOTE:

"to have VERBed" is a type of infinitive that refers to actions in a timeframe previous to the timeframe of the sentence itself.
this is actually the only kind of infinitive that can do this, so it will take the same form regardless of the tense of the main clause.
so, if you write .[/color]

"the students seem to have cheated"
then

* the sentence itself is in the present ("seem"). so, the sentence is talking about the way things appear to a present observer.
* according to that present observer, it seems to be the case that the students cheated at some point in the past.
if you write
"the students seemed to have cheated"
then

* the sentence itself is in the past ("seemed"). so, the sentence is talking about the way things appeared to a past observer.

* according to that past observer, it seems to be the case that the students cheated at some point earlier in the past.
Retired Moderator
V
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2019, 05:24
Top Contributor
Two critical cues may help us to get over this complicated issue of verb and idiom usage.

1. 'appear as equipped' and 'appeared as equipped' are both wrong because 'as equipped' suggests that the Neanderthals seem to be equipped even today since the main verb of the clause is 'indicates' as seen in the non-underlined part. This will effectively remove A, C, and D.

The second cue is that there was a purpose for their being equipped and that purpose is to face any obstacle. This intent is best expressed by an infinitive phrase 'to face' as in B rather than by a prepositional phrase 'for facing' as in E.

B is the eventual winner. Tense questions are always tricky.
B
Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Nea  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2019, 14:17
"equipped to" and "equipped for" mean the same thing and both are grammatically correct. If you're worried that "equipped for" is unidiomatic, I would take a look at its usage in relation to "equipped to". According to Google Ngram (see here), "equipped to" and "equipped for" are both used pretty frequently. It's true that "equipped to" is used more often (about 3 times as often); however, it's not used so much more often that I would say "equipped for" is unidiomatic. Thus, I wouldn't eliminate (E) based on the use of "equipped for". See also this question in which the correct answer uses "for" over "to".

When deciding between (B) and (E), you need to look at "appear" vs "appeared". Your best clue for deciding between the two is the verb "indicates" in the following clause.

Using "appear" and "indicates" will create a better contrast since you are contrasting two things that are true during the same period of time. Using "appeared" and "indicates" creates an awkward contrast since it compares two things that are true during different periods of time. For example,
He walked to school, but he drives to soccer practice. -- Contrasting two things that are true during different periods of time.
He walks to school, but he drives to soccer practice. -- Contrasting two things that are true during the same period of time. This is much better.

A few more examples:
He appears ready for school, but his homework is incomplete.
He appeared ready for school, but his homework is incomplete.
He appears ready for school, but his homework was incomplete.

He appears to be ready to go, but his missing keys indicate otherwise.
He appeared to be ready to go, but his missing keys indicate otherwise.
He appears to be ready to go, but his missing keys indicated otherwise.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: IIMA PGPX"20
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 2.36

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2019, 01:54
GMATNinja
Can u provide an explanation for this? I chose C.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2019, 12:16
what made me choose "appear" instead of "appeared" is the hint provided by the word "indicates". This means that the context here should be present tense (because it basically talks about the evidence NOW);

And then I noticed "path" and "paths". It makes more sense to me to choose singular form.

It is also more reasonable to stress that "Neanderthals once have been equipped" since they already extincted..
Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2019, 23:01
GMATNinja - Could you please explain what is the difference between option B and C? I am confused.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2019, 01:26
egmat wrote:
bagdbmba wrote:
rgarg1nortel wrote:
Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Neanderthals appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path, but their relatively sudden disappearance during the Paleolithic era indicates that an inability to adapt to some environmental change led to their extinction.

(D) appeared as equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their paths,

What could be the answer and why?

Hi e-GMAT,
Why E is incorrect ? Is it because of 'for facing' in place of 'to face' only or the verb 'appeared' instead of 'appear' is also responsible?

I chose B over E because of the first reason but I'm not sure about the second one.

Please explain.

Hi bagdbmba,

Thanks for posting your doubts here.

Choice E is incorrect for two reasons:

1. Use of past tense verb "appeared" is incorrect. This is so because this tense denotes that the Neanderthals in the past only appeared to be equipped... It has got no bearing in the present. However, this is not the intended meaning. This sentence presents some general facts about Neanderthals. So the information must be written in simple present tense to denote that universal fact.

2. Yes, "for facing" is also incorrect here as it fails to present the intent of being equipped.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Dear @egmat,

I have regarding option E explanation point 1 [/quote]: use of past tense verb "appeared" is incorrect. This is so because this tense denotes that the Neanderthals in the past only appeared to be equipped... It has got no bearing in the present. However, this is not the intended meaning. This sentence presents some general facts about Neanderthals. So the information must be written in simple present tense to denote that universal fact. [/quote]

Clause 1: Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Neanderthals appeared to have been equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path,
Clause 2: but their relatively sudden disappearance during the Paleolithic era indicates that an inability to adapt to some environmental change led to their
extinction.

We are talking about Neanderthals qualities in 1st clause. And analysis of their disappearance in the 2nd clause. And contrast using But.
Clause 1: is in past since Neanderthals do not exist anymore
Clause 2: analysis is shared in present form "indicates" is OK.
So, appeared should come.
Kindly clarify

Thanks in advance
Priyanshu Agrawal
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2019, 08:11
anupam87 wrote:
GMATNinja - Could you please explain what is the difference between option B and C? I am confused.

Check out this post and see if that helps. If not, let us know!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: Series 1: SC & CR Fundamentals | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset | Series 3: Word Problem Bootcamp + Next-Level SC & CR

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2019, 07:16

1. Appear As: It seems now also they are appearing like this. Which is wrong. We are talking about past, some era. So Appear as is wrong.

CORRECT ANSWER

Same issue appear AS. and PATHS also wrong.

Again AS is wrong.

For facing any obstacle : WRONG.

If this post is helpful for you please press the kudos button
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2019, 01:14
It's a very good question and I find it really confusing.
Marked wrongly but after reading to the brilliant explanations here, my understanding is clear now.

"appear to have been equipped" correctly conveys the meaning in the past they were equipped and this thing appears now.

" I CAN AND I WILL"

GMAT:[640 Q44, V34, IR4, AWA5]
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
GMAT 1: 770 Q60 V60
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2019, 15:27
This is such a good example to demonstrate the subtleties of the English language. :)

For those of you who are still wondering why "appeared as" is incorrect, "appeared as" should be followed by a noun, not by an adjective.

$90/hour as of August 2019. I am not accepting any more students for the Fall 2019 application cycle, but if you are planning to apply in 2020, feel free to reach out!

http://www.facebook.com/HanoiGMATtutor
HanoiGMATTutor@gmail.com
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Nea   [#permalink] 18 Aug 2019, 15:27

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 65 posts ] 

Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Nea

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics