GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Nov 2019, 07:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Nea

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
P
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 2913
Re: Neaderthal appear as equipped...OG12 #73  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2013, 15:07
Image


Hi Alexander,

Yes, your analysis about "for verb-ing" and "to verb" is correct. The former shows some relation between the main verb and the "for verb-ing" while the latter is used to show the purpose of the previous action.

However, as I have already mentioned in my above post, even if in Choice B, use of "to face" is correct, it has a very glaring verb tense error. The verb tense error is graver than the "for verb-ing" Vs. "to verb". Hence, we reject Choice B right away.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________
Retired Moderator
avatar
B
Joined: 27 Aug 2012
Posts: 1046
Re: Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Nea  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2013, 22:51
1
rgarg1nortel wrote:
Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Neanderthals appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path, but their relatively sudden disappearance during the Paleolithic era indicates that an inability to adapt to some environmental change led to their extinction.

(A) appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path,
(B) appear to have been equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their path,
(C) appear as equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their paths,
(D) appeared as equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their paths,
(E) appeared to have been equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path,

What could be the answer and why?


Hi e-GMAT,
Why E is incorrect ? Is it because of 'for facing' in place of 'to face' only or the verb 'appeared' instead of 'appear' is also responsible?

I chose B over E because of the first reason but I'm not sure about the second one.

Please explain.
_________________
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
P
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 2913
Re: Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Nea  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2013, 09:43
3
1
bagdbmba wrote:
rgarg1nortel wrote:
Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Neanderthals appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path, but their relatively sudden disappearance during the Paleolithic era indicates that an inability to adapt to some environmental change led to their extinction.

(A) appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path,
(B) appear to have been equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their path,
(C) appear as equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their paths,
(D) appeared as equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their paths,
(E) appeared to have been equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path,

What could be the answer and why?


Hi e-GMAT,
Why E is incorrect ? Is it because of 'for facing' in place of 'to face' only or the verb 'appeared' instead of 'appear' is also responsible?

I chose B over E because of the first reason but I'm not sure about the second one.

Please explain.


Hi bagdbmba,

Thanks for posting your doubts here.

Choice E is incorrect for two reasons:

1. Use of past tense verb "appeared" is incorrect. This is so because this tense denotes that the Neanderthals in the past only appeared to be equipped... It has got no bearing in the present. However, this is not the intended meaning. This sentence presents some general facts about Neanderthals. So the information must be written in simple present tense to denote that universal fact.

2. Yes, "for facing" is also incorrect here as it fails to present the intent of being equipped.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Verbal Forum Moderator
Joined: 17 Apr 2013
Posts: 447
Location: India
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT 3: 790 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.3
Re: Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Nea  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2014, 22:24
20
3
This is not an easy one, lets move gradually with splits.

appear Vs appeared split

We need a present tense verb.

We can eliminate D and E.

the Neanderthals appear ................................, but their .......................... indicates [This is the clue and the decision point top select present time verb appear.]

appear and indicates both are present tense verb and hence parallel.

equipped to equipped for. This is an Idiomatic split. equipped to is the correct Idiom.
So A and E are out.

We are down to B and C.

Understanding the meaning and Sequence of tense:
Something is appearing to us now, but in past(the Neanderthals).

There is a tricky and very subtle contrast, you have to understand here how often GMAT uses contrast and mix it with the sequencing of tenses, you will find 3-4 questions like this in Gmat prep question pack 1 that has a total 75 SC question.

C is unable to justify the contrast and leaves some ounce of ambiguous thought. so the selection of B over C is based on sequence of tenses, meaning and contrast, have been clearly confirms that something is in past and is appearing to us/author in the present, but it no more exists. indicates was the clue to have this decision without any ambiguity.
_________________
Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.
My Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-score-750-and-750-i-moved-from-710-to-189016.html
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Nov 2014
Posts: 43
Re: Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Nea  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2015, 16:46
1
Can we eliminate the choices using Verb-ing and Verb-ed modifiers also ???

Regards
SG
Math Expert
avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 8168
Re: Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Nea  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2015, 05:08
1
Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Neanderthals appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path, but their relatively sudden disappearance during the Paleolithic era indicates that an inability to adapt to some environmental change led to their extinction.

(A) appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path,
(B) appear to have been equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their path,
(C) appear as equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their paths,
(D) appeared as equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their paths,
(E) appeared to have been equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path,


hi smartyguy,

firstly here the modifier 'Neanderthals' is correctly used and is also in non underlined portion...
what else is this question testing....
1) appear as vs appear to...
appear as someone/something eg.. moon appears as a ball from earth...
appear to be... as in this case, appear to have been equipped is correct..
2) appear vs appeared..
as we are talking of future in past ('could' shows future of a past event ).... and also we are talking in present about a past incident.. appear wins over appeared..
3) a small point .. in most cases you will find infinitive form equipped to face better than equipped for facing..

if we see above three points only B remains...
_________________
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 19 Apr 2013
Posts: 510
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Nea  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2015, 03:21
Difficult question. In order to correctly answer this question, I think one needs to know about 'perfect infinitive'.

I would like to add that 'paths' is also wrong here. Because it means every neanderthal had his or her own path:)
_________________
If my post was helpful, press Kudos. If not, then just press Kudos !!!
SVP
SVP
User avatar
P
Joined: 27 Mar 2010
Posts: 1521
Location: India
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Re: Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Nea  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2015, 23:12
1
Ergenekon wrote:
Difficult question. In order to correctly answer this question, I think one needs to know about 'perfect infinitive'.

Strictly speaking, even without knowing perfect infinitives, the correct answer can be arrived at, through process of elimination.

equipped to is the right idiom and so, A and E are out. C and D use paths, but since the sentence refers to the Neanderthals collectively as a species, the use of paths is incorrect.

Nevertheless, knowledge of perfect infinitives can come in handy on GMAT, because they can indeed be tested and are very flexible: They can act either as present perfect, past perfect or (in some rare cases) as simple past, and always indicate that the action in the perfect infinitive happened before the action of the main verb of the clause.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses perfect infinitive, its application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id, I can mail the corresponding section. In fact, it’s interesting that our book actually refers to this very official question in the section on perfect infinitives.
_________________
Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Contact us for Classroom sessions in Bangalore and Private Tutoring worldwide
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Feb 2015
Posts: 49
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '16, IIMA , IIMB, IIMC
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Re: Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Nea  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2015, 19:57
If in C we replace paths with path, will that be the correct sentence?
Math Expert
avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 8168
Re: Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Nea  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2015, 20:03
1
Naina1 wrote:
If in C we replace paths with path, will that be the correct sentence?



hi Naina1,


what is this question testing....
1) appear as vs appear to...
appear as someone/something eg.. moon appears as a ball from earth...
appear to be... as in this case, appear to have been equipped is correct..

2) appear vs appeared..
as we are talking of future in past ('could' shows future of a past event ).... and also we are talking in present about a past incident.. appear wins over appeared..
3) a small point .. in most cases you will find infinitive form equipped to face better than equipped for facing..

lets see choice C if paths is changed to path..
(C) appear as equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their paths,

as you can see appear as is not appropriate here .. appear to is better used here..
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Nov 2014
Posts: 43
Re: Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Nea  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2015, 00:04
Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Neanderthals appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path, but their relatively sudden disappearance during the Paleolithic era indicates that an inability to adapt to some environmental change led to their extinction.

(A) appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path,
usage of "appear as" shows that they still appear hence wrong + for facing doesn't conveys the intended meaning

(B) appear to have been equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their path,
Correct

(C) appear as equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their paths,
same as A + paths must be path

(D) appeared as equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their paths,
Usage of "appeared as" showed in past hence changes the intended meaning + paths must be path

(E) appeared to have been equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path,
Same as D

Hence B
Ans

Regards
SG
Current Student
User avatar
V
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 4273
Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re: Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Nea  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2015, 12:56
1
1
Quote:
this isn't a present perfect construction, because it's actually an infinitive.
i.e., it's not "they have been equipped"; it's "they appear TO HAVE been equipped".

in any case, you should probably just memorize this construction as a one-off idiomatic structure. if you say "they seemed/appeared to...", then, no matter how remote the event is (in time), you use this construction.

for instance:
it seems that the students cheated on the exam
(normal past tense in this construction)
but...
the students seem to have cheated on the exam
(not here)

i don't really have a good explanation for this, other than "i'm a writer with a firm command of formal english, and i know that it is so" and "you should just think of it as an idiom". sorry i can't do better than that.

in any case, though, you DO have to use an infinitive after "appear" or "seem" in this sort of construction. and if you think about it, this is as past-tense as an infinitive can get. so that's why you have to use it.

_________________
Queens MBA Thread Master
avatar
Joined: 24 Oct 2012
Posts: 163
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Re: Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Nea  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2015, 07:47
2
1
Before Jumping to Question let's talk about usage of As
used to
1. Compare - " Ganguly is as good as Sachin (is)" , here as needs clause "Sachin is"
2. Simultaneous Action - "I am talking as I am writing " Here as needs clause "I am writing"
3. Role - "I am working as Tester" - Here as need noun.

above are roles played by As, if As is not playing any of the above role in your sentence then it is wrong (to almost in every occurrence ")

Meaning Analysis :
the Neanderthals appear as equipped for facing any obstacle, but reality is different. (Shortcut meaning - Excuse me for this)

POE
"As" in option A,c and D does not play any standard role as mentioned above. More over, as is not followed by full clause. Hence option A,C and D can be marked incorrect on this ground.

In option B and Option E, only difference is
"equipped to face" Vs "equipped for facing" Here Equipped for is not correct, we always say "I am equipped to solve this efficiently" we never say "I am equipped for doing x work"
Moreover Infinitve is used to show the purpose instead of preposition (For).

"Neanderthals appear as equipped" (for some purpose )"to face any obstacle.

Hence option B is correct
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: Greatness begins beyond your comfort zone
Joined: 08 Dec 2013
Posts: 2428
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Nea  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2017, 07:49
Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Neanderthals appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path, but their relatively sudden disappearance during the Paleolithic era indicates that an inability to adapt to some environmental change led to their extinction.

(A) appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path, - usage of as is incorrect - As is used for comparison , to denote simultaneous action , role and reason . Usage of "for facing" is also incorrect here as it fails to present the intent of being equipped.
(B) appear to have been equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their path, - Correct
(C) appear as equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their paths, - usage of as is incorrect ;The use of paths is incorrect since the sentence refers to the Neanderthals collectively as a species
(D) appeared as equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their paths, - usage of as is incorrect ; Simple present is needed as the sentence presents some general facts about Neanderthals.
(E) appeared to have been equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path, - Usage of "for facing" is also incorrect here as it fails to present the intent of being equipped. Simple present is needed as the sentence presents some general facts about Neanderthals.

Answer B
_________________
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
Retired Thread Master
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Nov 2016
Posts: 42
Location: India
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Re: Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Nea  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2017, 22:48
The option D isn't correctly typed in the question.
I think it should have "paths" in the end.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2854
Location: Germany
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Nea  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2017, 03:34
nainy05 wrote:
The option D isn't correctly typed in the question.
I think it should have "paths" in the end.


In my opinion, "path" is OK. It is not meant that each Neanderthal had a different path. As a group they had a path, though "paths" would also be alright.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
P
Joined: 19 Mar 2014
Posts: 917
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Nea  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2017, 14:29
Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence,the neanderthals appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path,but their relatively sudden disappearnce during the paleolithic era indicates that an inability to adapt to some environmental change led o their extinction.

(A) appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path
(B) appear to have been equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their path,
(C) appear as equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their paths,
(D) appeared as equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their path,
(E) appeared to have been equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path,
_________________
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 26 Dec 2015
Posts: 233
Location: United States (CA)
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE: Investment Banking (Venture Capital)
Re: Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Nea  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2017, 20:08
1
Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the neanderthals appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path, but their relatively sudden disappearance during the paleolithic era indicates that an inability to adapt to some environmental change led to their extinction.

(A) appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path
- "as equipped for facing" = INCORRECT. should be "appeared TO face"

(B) appear to have been equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their path,
- correct as is

(C) appear as equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their paths,
- "paths" should be "path"

(D) appeared as equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their path,
- "appeared" should be "appear" to maintain //ism with verb outside of underline "indicates"

(E) appeared to have been equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path,
- same as "A" ("for facing" error). same as "D" ("appeared" error)

tricky problem. key takeaways:
> "appeared FOR facing" = incorrect structure; "appeared TO face" = ideal structure
> LOOK OUTSIDE OF SENTENCE TO GAUGE VERB TENSE (i.e. spot "indicates" -- means sentence is PRESENT TENSE...therefore, "appeared" = INCORRECT)


Kudos please if you find helpful :)
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Status: Aiming MBA!!
Joined: 19 Aug 2017
Posts: 101
Location: India
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.75
WE: Web Development (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Re: Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Nea  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2017, 02:51
2
1
Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence,the neanderthals appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path,but their relatively sudden disappearnce during the paleolithic era indicates that an inability to adapt to some environmental change led o their extinction.

NOTE : This question gives us a BIG TAKEAWAY, never miss the non-underlined part. Read the complete sentence. Because here from the non-underlined part we come to know about the TENSE of the sentence, which helps in choosing between appear VS appeared!

(A) appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path
(B) appear to have been equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their path,
(C) appear as equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their paths,
(D) appeared as equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their path,
(E) appeared to have been equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path,

ANALYSING THE ERRORS IN THE ORIGINAL SENTENCE :

1. equipped to VERB VS equipped for VERBING
Equipped To VERB -- IDIOMATIC USAGE
Equipped For VERBING -- NON IDIOMATIC USAGE

2. appear as equipped VS appeared as equipped VS appear to have been equipped
Appear as equipped -- it implies as if neanderthals right now appear as equipped. However, as per the intended meaning of the sentence neanderthals are extinct now. INCORRECT
Appear to have been equipped -- when we say that Neanderthals appear to have been equipped, we do not mean that neanderthals are equipped right now. They were equipped sometime in the past. However, this fact is what appears to us now.
Appeared as equipped -- The use of simple present ‘indicates’ in the second independent clause indicates that the sentence is talking about the present. Therefore, we need simple present “appear” as the verb, instead of “appeared”. Logically also, the sentence seems to say that it ‘appears’ that Neanderthals were equipped. It doesn’t seem to say that it so appeared in the past but not now.

3. PATH vs PATHS
As we are talking of a single obstacle, so we must be talking of a single path and not multiple paths. Therefore, usage of "path" is logical.

After POE, only choice B remains.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 28 May 2017
Posts: 2
Re: Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Nea  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2017, 12:43
Why is "appear to have been equipped" in Option C better than "appeared to have been equipped" in Option D?

It is talking about past; why is "appeared" incorrect?

Thanks
Avijit
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Nea   [#permalink] 24 Dec 2017, 12:43

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 65 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Nea

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne