GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Nov 2019, 12:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate inequities in pay

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Director
Director
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate inequities in pay  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 31 Aug 2019, 01:51
Question 1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 722 sessions

52% (03:13) correct 48% (02:58) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 2
A
B
C
D
E

based on 695 sessions

72% (01:16) correct 28% (01:29) wrong

Question 3
A
B
C
D
E

based on 685 sessions

58% (01:22) correct 42% (01:28) wrong

Question 4
A
B
C
D
E

based on 648 sessions

59% (01:43) correct 41% (01:51) wrong

Question 5
A
B
C
D
E

based on 629 sessions

77% (00:58) correct 23% (01:12) wrong

Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate inequities in pay, insists that the values of certain tasks performed in dissimilar jobs can be compared. In the last decade, this approach has become a critical social policy issue, as large numbers of private-sector firms and industries as well as federal, state, and local governmental entities have adopted comparable worth policies or begun to consider doing so.

This widespread institutional awareness of comparable worth indicates increased public awareness that pay inequities— that is, situations in which pay is not "fair" because it does not reflect the true value of a job — exist in the labor market. However, the question still remains: have the gains already made in pay equity under comparable worth principles been of a precedent-setting nature or are they mostly transitory, a function of concessions made by employers to mislead female employees into believing that they have made long-term pay equity gains?

Comparable worth pay adjustments are indeed precedent-setting. Because of the principles driving them, other mandates that can be applied to reduce or eliminate unjustified pay gaps between male and female workers have not remedied perceived pay inequities satisfactorily for the litigants in cases in which men and women hold different jobs. But whenever comparable worth principles are applied to pay schedules, perceived unjustified pay differences are eliminated. In this sense, then, comparable worth is more comprehensive than other mandates, such as the Equal Pay Act of 1963 and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Neither compares tasks in dissimilar jobs (that is, jobs across occupational categories) in an effort to determine whether or not what is necessary to perform these tasks — know-how, problem-solving, and accountability — can be quantified in terms of its dollar value to the employer. Comparable worth, on the other hand, takes as its premise that certain tasks in dissimilar jobs may require a similar amount of training, effort, and skill; may carry similar responsibility; may be carried on in an environment having a similar impact upon the worker; and may have a similar dollar value to the employer.
1. Which of the following most accurately states the central purpose of the passage?

A. To criticize the implementation of a new procedure
B. To assess the significance of a change in policy
C. To illustrate how a new standard alters procedures
D. To explain how a new policy is applied in specific cases
E. To summarize the changes made to date as a result of social policy

2. According to the passage, which of the following is true of comparable worth as a policy?

A. Comparable worth policy decisions in pay-inequity cases have often failed to satisfy the complainants.
B. Comparable worth policies have been applied to both public-sector and private-sector employee pay schedules.
C. Comparable worth as a policy has come to be widely criticized in the past decade.
D. Many employers have considered comparable worth as a policy but very few have actually adopted it.
E. Early implementations of comparable worth policies resulted in only transitory gains in pay equity.

3. Which of the following best describes an application of the principles of comparable worth as they are described in the passage?

A. The current pay, rates of increase, and rates of promotion for female mechanics are compared with those of male mechanics.
B. The training, skills, and job experience of computer programmers in one division of a corporation are compared to those of programmers making more money in another division.
C. The number of women holding top executive positions in a corporation is compared to the number of women available for promotion to those positions, and both tallies are matched to the tallies for men in the same corporation.
D. The skills, training, and job responsibilities of the clerks in the township tax assessor's office are compared to those of the much better-paid township engineers.
E. The working conditions of female workers in a hazardous-materials environment are reviewed and their pay schedules compared to those of all workers in similar environments across the nation.

4. It can be inferred from the passage that application of “other mandate” (see highlighted text) would be unlikely to result in an outcome satisfactory to the female employees in which of the following situations?

I: males employed as long-distance truck drivers for a furniture company make $3.50 more per hour than do females with comparable job experience employed in the same capacity.

II: women working in the office of a cement company contend that their jobs are as demanding and valuable as those of the men working outside in the cement factory, but the women are paid much less per hour.

III: a law firm employs both male and female paralegals with the same educational and career backgrounds, but the same salary for male paralegals is $5,000 more than female paralegals.
A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and II only
E. I and III only

5. According to the passage, comparable worth principles are different in which of the following ways from other mandates intended to reduce or eliminate pay inequities?

A. Comparable worth principles address changes in the pay schedules of male as well as female workers
B. Comparable worth principles can be applied to employees in both the public and the private sector
C. Comparable worth principles emphasize the training and skill of workers
D. Comparable worth principles require changes in the employer's resource allocation
E. Comparable worth principles can be used to quantify the value of elements of dissimilar jobs

Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Originally posted by PiyushK on 12 Aug 2014, 05:56.
Last edited by SajjadAhmad on 31 Aug 2019, 01:51, edited 6 times in total.
Updated - Complete topic (360).
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: CBS '17
GPA: 4
WE: General Management (Consumer Products)
Re: Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate inequities in pay  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 13 Aug 2014, 21:30

1. Which of the following most accurately states the central purpose of the passage?

Ans - B

2. According to the passage, which of the following is true of comparable worth as a policy?
A. Comparable worth policy decisions in pay-inequity cases have often failed to satisfy the complainants.
B. Comparable worth policies have been applied to both public-sector and private-sector employee pay schedules.
C. Comparable worth as a policy has come to be widely criticized in the past decade.
D. Many employers have considered comparable worth as a policy but very few have actually adopted it.
E. Early implementations of comparable worth policies resulted in only transitory gains in pay equity.
Ans - B

3. Which of the following best describes an application of the principles of comparable worth as they are described in the passage?
A. The current pay, rates of increase, and rates of promotion for female mechanics are compared with those of male mechanics.
B. The training, skills, and job experience of computer programmers in one division of a corporation are compared to those of programmers making more money in another division.
C. The number of women holding top executive positions in a corporation is compared to the number of women available for promotion to those positions, and both tallies are matched to the tallies for men in the same corporation.
D. The skills, training, and job responsibilities of the clerks in the township tax assessor's office are compared to those of the much better-paid township engineers.
E. The working conditions of female workers in a hazardous-materials environment are reviewed and their pay schedules compared to those of all workers in similar environments across the nation

Ans - D

4. It can be inferred from the passage that application of “other mandate” (see highlighted text) would be unlikely to result in an outcome satisfactory to the female employees in which of the following situations?

I: males employed as long-distance truck drivers for a furniture company make $3.50 more per hour than do females with comparable job experience employed in the same capacity.

II: women working in the office of a cement company contend that their jobs are as demanding and valuable as those of the men working outside in the cement factory, but the women are paid much less per hour.

III: a law firm employs both male and female paralegals with the same educational and career backgrounds, but the same salary for male paralegals is $5,000 more than female paralegals.
A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and II only
E. I and III only

Ans - B

OAs please.

Originally posted by desaichinmay22 on 12 Aug 2014, 07:44.
Last edited by PiyushK on 13 Aug 2014, 21:30, edited 1 time in total.
Added timer.
Manager
Manager
Re: Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate inequities in pay  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2015, 10:48
Found the fourth question confusing. The passage says: "other mandates that can be applied to reduce or eliminate unjustified pay gaps between male and female workers have not remedied perceived pay inequities satisfactorily for the litigants in cases in which men and women hold different jobs".

In other words, when men and women hold "different" jobs:

(i) "other mandates" (such as "Equal Pay Act of 1963" and "Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964") have not remedied perceived pay inequities satisfactorily
(ii) whenever comparable worth principles are applied to pay schedules, perceived unjustified pay differences are eliminated

So, it is clear that "other mandates" would not provide satisfactory outcome, when men and women hold different jobs.

Only option II here talks about men and women holding "different" jobs.
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2015, 16:11
manojsundar1 wrote:
hey guys..could someone tell me as to y C cannot be selected for the 2nd qn....the passage clearly says" this approach has become a critical social policy issue"...so the policy
has come under criticism

That could be 2nd best answer. But it is explicitly given in passage that

--- In the last decade, this approach has become a critical social policy issue, as large numbers of private-sector firms and industries as well as federal, state, and local governmental entities have adopted comparable worth policies or begun to consider doing so. ---

which concludes the answer as B
Intern
Intern
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2017, 00:40
Question # 4:

It can be inferred from the passage that application of ???other mandate??? (see highlighted text) would be unlikely to result in an outcome satisfactory to the female employees in which of the following situations?

A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and II only
E. I and III only

I am unable to conclude 'B' as the answer. Can someone please share an explanation.
Thanks!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2017, 09:57
Quote:
Question # 4:

It can be inferred from the passage that application of ???other mandate??? (see highlighted text) would be unlikely to result in an outcome satisfactory to the female employees in which of the following situations?

A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and II only
E. I and III only

I am unable to conclude 'B' as the answer. Can someone please share an explanation.
Thanks!

Thanks for the question, mbaprep2017!

We are looking for situations where applying the "other mandates" (ie mandates besides comparable worth "that can be applied to reduce or eliminate unjustified pay gaps between male and female workers"), would likely result in unsatisfactory outcomes for the female employees. What do we know about those "other mandates"? According to the second sentence of the third paragraph, those other mandates "have not remedied perceived pay inequities satisfactorily for the litigants in cases in which men and women hold different jobs". Thus, we are looking for situations where there is an "unjustified pay gap between male and female workers" and where the "men and women hold different jobs" because those are the situations where the other mandates are unlikely to result in an outcome satisfactory to the female employees:

Option I: Here we are comparing men and women "with comparable job experience employed in the same capacity." Because the men and women involved hold the same job, the situation does not fit our criteria; nothing in the passage tells us that applying the "other mandates" will result in unsatisfactory outcomes in situations where the men and women hold the same job.

Option II: Here we have men and women holding different jobs (the men are working outside in the cement factory and the women are working inside the office); we also have a pay gap between male and female workers ("the women are paid much less per hour"). This fits our criteria perfectly (different jobs, difference in pay between male and female workers), and it is thus unlikely that application of the "other mandates" will result in an outcome satisfactory to the female employees. (vs application of comparable worth, which would compare the values of the tasks performed in these dissimilar jobs)

Option III: Here we have men and women with the same job, same education, and same career backgrounds. As with Option I, nothing in the passage tells us that applying the "other mandates" will result in unsatisfactory outcomes in situations where the men and women hold the same job.

So only option II describes a situation where the application of the other mandates "would be unlikely to result in an outcome satisfactory to the female employees", so the answer is B.
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 12:06
GMATNinjaTwo wrote:
Quote:
Question # 4:

A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and II only
E. I and III only

Thanks!

Thanks for the question,

We are looking for situations where applying the "other mandates" (ie mandates besides comparable worth "that can be applied to reduce or eliminate unjustified pay gaps between male and female workers"), would likely result in unsatisfactory outcomes for the female employees. What do we know about those "other mandates"? According to the second sentence of the third paragraph, those other mandates "have not remedied perceived pay inequities satisfactorily for the litigants in cases in which men and women hold different jobs". Thus, we are looking for situations where there is an "unjustified pay gap between male and female workers" and where the "men and women hold different jobs" because those are the situations where the other mandates are unlikely to result in an outcome satisfactory to the female employees:

Option I: Here we are comparing men and women "with comparable job experience employed in the same capacity." Because the men and women involved hold the same job, the situation does not fit our criteria; nothing in the passage tells us that applying the "other mandates" will result in unsatisfactory outcomes in situations where the men and women hold the same job.

Option II: Here we have men and women holding different jobs (the men are working outside in the cement factory and the women are working inside the office); we also have a pay gap between male and female workers ("the women are paid much less per hour"). This fits our criteria perfectly (different jobs, difference in pay between male and female workers), and it is thus unlikely that application of the "other mandates" will result in an outcome satisfactory to the female employees. (vs application of comparable worth, which would compare the values of the tasks performed in these dissimilar jobs)

Option III: Here we have men and women with the same job, same education, and same career backgrounds. As with Option I, nothing in the passage tells us that applying the "other mandates" will result in unsatisfactory outcomes in situations where the men and women hold the same job.

So only option II describes a situation where the application of the other mandates "would be unlikely to result in an outcome satisfactory to the female employees", so the answer is B.

I don't quite understand why in Option I they have the same job. It seems as they have similar jobs, but different. Dont quite get why this option is incorrect
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 12:38
karek77 wrote:
I don't quite understand why in Option I they have the same job. It seems as they have similar jobs, but different. Dont quite get why this option is incorrect

Quote:

The males and females in option I might not have the same exact job experience, but "they are employed in the same capacity," which means that they have the same role (long-distance truck drivers for a furniture company). In option I, the males and females have the same job and similar experience, but the males earn more money.
B
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GPA: 3.4
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2018, 21:43
GMATNinjaTwo For Question 3 I chose option E, but ,in hindsight ,I realized that option E compares jobs with similar environments and not jobs that have similar impact on the workers - can we use this subtle shift in the meaning to eliminate E?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2018, 14:01
DogGoesWoof wrote:
GMATNinjaTwo For Question 3 I chose option E, but ,in hindsight ,I realized that option E compares jobs with similar environments and not jobs that have similar impact on the workers - can we use this subtle shift in the meaning to eliminate E?

Quote:

E. The working conditions of female workers in a hazardous-materials environment are reviewed and their pay schedules compared to those of all workers in similar environments across the nation.

As stated in the final paragraph, comparable worth "takes as its premise that certain tasks in dissimilar jobs 1) may require a similar amount of training, effort, and skill; 2) may carry similar responsibility; 3) may be carried on in an environment having a similar impact upon the worker; and 4) may have a similar dollar value to the employer. The whole point of comparable worth is, as described in the first sentence, to compare the "values of certain tasks performed in dissimilar jobs."

So we apply comparable worth when the jobs are dissimilar but the tasks are comparable. Yes, the environmental impact upon the worker is mentioned as possible similarity. However, the fact that two tasks are performed in similar environments does not necessarily mean that those tasks are comparable.

Comparing "all workers" who work in a hazardous-materials environment would involve comparing a wide variety of tasks. This is not the application of comparable worth described in the passage, so (E) should be eliminated.

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: all videos by topic

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2018, 11:31
Ananyaroy27 wrote:
Bob2018 wrote:
10 mins
2 wrong..

can anyone pls explain me ques 3?
Can anyone explain question 3?? Why is it D??

Sure! We've already gotten into this a bit, so let's go ahead and lay it all out.

Quote:

As explained earlier, comparable worth "takes as its premise that certain tasks in dissimilar jobs 1) may require a similar amount of training, effort, and skill; 2) may carry similar responsibility; 3) may be carried on in an environment having a similar impact upon the worker; and 4) may have a similar dollar value to the employer."

The whole point of comparable worth, as described in the first sentence, is to compare the "values of certain tasks performed in dissimilar jobs." So we apply comparable worth when the jobs are dissimilar but the tasks are comparable. Let's run through our answer choices to see which one matches this application:

Quote:

This choice compares female mechanics to male mechanics. These are not dissimilar jobs. Therefore, eliminate (A).

Quote:

Like (A), this choice compares programmers to programmers. These are not dissimilar jobs. Therefore, eliminate (B) as well.

Quote:

Choice (C) compares the number of available candidates for a range of top executive positions. This tally of men and women available for promotion doesn't involve any comparison of tasks, so it doesn't match the application of comparable worth described in the passage. So let's eliminate (C).

Quote:

Choice (D) lines up with the way the author applies comparable worth almost word for word. In this case, the skills, training, and responsibilities required for one job (clerkship in the tax assessor's office) are compared to those of engineers (who are getting paid better than the clerks). We're looking for a comparison of tasks across dissimilar jobs, and this fits the bill nicely. We'll keep (D) around.

Quote:

As I wrote earlier: The environmental impact upon the worker is mentioned as a possible similarity. However, the fact that two tasks are performed in similar environments does not necessarily mean that the tasks themselves are comparable. Furthermore, comparing "all workers" who work in a hazardous-materials environment would involve comparing a wide variety of tasks. This is not the application of comparable worth described in the passage, so we eliminate (E).

(D) remains the best answer choice.

I hope this helps!

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2019, 06:58
Can anyone please help me with the Question 1 . Central Idea of the Passage.
D
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 650 Q48 V31
GPA: 3
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2019, 16:16
Passage Map: CW as a standard
p1: define CW gaining importance
p2: describe importance of CW and pose a question
p3: answer the question posed in p2 and value of CW

Q1:Purpose/ Main Idea
A - is incorrect because no critique is taking place
B - is correct but I didn't choose this. It's correct because the first 2 sentences of P1 describe how in the last decade CW has become a critical policy issue.
C - is incorrect because we are only told about the impact of CW on pay gaps, not procedures
D - we are told that CW is a standard, not a policy, and CW is described in terms of the labour market as a whole, not in specific cases
E - incorrect because we aren't summarising we are discussing the impact of CW as a standard

Q2 - Detail Question
A - incorrect as we are told that "other mandates", now CW, fail to remedy inequalities in p3
B - P1 last sentence we are told this. True
C - no such info is given. Incorrect
D - Not supported. Incorrect
E - Opposite. We are told the CW resulted in precedent setting gains - thus incorrect

Q3 - Application question
P3 tells us that CW""takes as its premise that certain tasks in dissimilar jobs may require a similar amount of training, effort, and skill" and that among the two Acts mentioned "Neither compares tasks in dissimilar jobs".
So we are looking to compare dissimilar jobs.

A - same jobs are compared. Eliminate
B - same jobs are compared. Eliminate
C - same job compared to supply. Eliminate
D - clerks compared to engineers. Correct
E - same job comparison. Eliminate

Q4 - Application question
We are asked to see what situations will NOT be remedied by other mandates. We know that other mandates only work for similar jobs.
i. same roles are compared - equitable outcome will be produced therefore Incorrect as we are looking for inequitable outcomes
ii. same industry but different jobs - mandates won't fix this - inequitable outcome persists. Correct
iii. same jobs are compared - easiest to eliminate. Incorrect

ii. is correct therefore B

Q5 - Detail question
The key difference between CW and other mandates is that other mandates don't compare dissimilar jobs
E - nails this. therefore correct
A - both CW and OM compare M and F workers - therefore incorrect
B - false - we are told both apply. Incorrect
C - we aren't told this. We are only told that CW considerst that dissimilar jobs have the same skills, not that CW emphasises these skills. Incorrect.
D - in no way are we told about resource allocation. Incorrect

+1 Kudos if I have helped you
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2019, 20:00
LoneSurvivor wrote:
Can anyone please help me with the Question 1 . Central Idea of the Passage.

Careful! The question does not ask us what central idea of the passage is. It asks us:

Quote:

Well, here's how the passage breaks down in terms of structure and purpose:

• P1: Comparable worth has become a critical social policy issue in the last decade, as it's been more widely considered and adopted by institutions.
  • P2: But one question remains: Are the corresponding gains in pay equity precedent-setting, or are they transitory (temporary)?
  • P3: For many reasons, comparable worth pay adjustments are precedent-setting (perhaps even more so than major precedent-setting policies of the past).

Overall, the author is presenting a social policy change (widespread adoption of comparable worth principles) and explaining what kind of impact that change has made (a lasting impact). The question the author asks in P2 — has this change of policy really made a lasting impact? is the lynchpin of this entire passage. Everything before is the setup, and everything after is the answer.

Let's review the answer choices and eliminate any choice that doesn't match our understanding of the passage's central purpose:

Quote:

Explaining why the results of a policy are precedent-setting is not at all a form of criticism of that policy. Eliminate (A).

Quote:

Bingo! This captures what the author is doing with each paragraph, from start to finish. Let's keep (B) around.

Quote:

This sounds good, but if we follow the wording precisely, it doesn't reflect the central purpose of the passage.

The author does NOT use paragraphs 1 and 2 to present existing procedures, then use paragraph 3 to illustrate how comparable worth pay adjustments alter those procedures.

Rather, the author uses paragraphs 1 and 2 to present a policy and ask whether adoption of that policy has really made a lasting impact. Then the author uses paragraph 3 to answer that question in terms of outcomes (i.e, perceived unjustified pay differences are eliminated and more comprehensive valuation of work takes place across dissimilar jobs).

(C) misses the central point of the passage, which is why we eliminate it.

Quote:

Nope. Not only does choice (D) miss the central point of the passage (to evaluate the impact of comparable worth policy), (D) doesn't even match up with the literal content of the passage — because none of the paragraphs was written to explain how comparable worth policy is applied in specific cases.

Eliminate (D) and move on.

Quote:

The author's objective in writing this passage is not to summarize changes made, so we can get rid of (E) as well.

We cannot answer this type of question by looking for answer choices that seem to match some part of the passage. Instead, we need a solid understanding of why the author wrote the passage as whole, and what each paragraph contributes to that purpose.

With that understanding in hand, it becomes much easier to reject answer choices that might sound accurate, but don't come close to expressing the central purpose of the passage.

I hope that helps!

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GPA: 3.36
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2019, 01:31
can someone please explain q5
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2019, 08:59
manass wrote:
can someone please explain q5

Quote:
5. According to the passage, comparable worth principles are different in which of the following ways from other mandates intended to reduce or eliminate pay inequities?

In the last paragraph of the passage, the author explains the differences between comparable worth and "other mandates" (i.e., the Equal Pay Act of 1963 and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964). He/she says that comparable worth:

• is "more comprehensive" than the other mandates
  • "compares tasks in dissimilar jobs," which the other mandates do not
  • quantifies the "dollar value to the employer" of these dissimilar jobs.

Clearly, the main difference between comparable worth principles and other mandates is the treatment of dissimilar jobs -- the comparable worth principle compares these jobs to one another and quantifies their worth to the employer.

In looking through the answer choices, each one can be eliminated except for (E):
Quote:
E. Comparable worth principles can be used to quantify the value of elements of dissimilar jobs

(E) fits nicely into our analysis, and is the only answer choice supported by the passage. (E) is the correct answer to question #5.

I hope that helps!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate inequities in pay   [#permalink] 02 Nov 2019, 08:59

Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate inequities in pay

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics