GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jun 2019, 22:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Contrary to financial analysts, who predicted last year that the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Tuck School Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Contrary to financial analysts, who predicted last year that the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2018, 02:22
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

72% (00:53) correct 28% (00:54) wrong based on 195 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Contrary to financial analysts, who predicted last year that the market for home computers would dwindle, the personal computer industry continued to show strong growth in the first quarter of this year.

(a) analysts, who predicted
(b) analysts, whose predictions
(c) analysts and their predictions
(d) analysts' predicting
(e) analysts' predictions

https://www.nytimes.com/1997/04/28/business/strong-growth-in-pc-industry-reports-say.html

Despite Wall Street anxieties about the market for home computers, the personal computer industry over all continues to show strong growth, according to two reports to be issued on Monday.

G
Re: Contrary to financial analysts, who predicted last year that the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2018, 02:38
E is the best option. Call conveys the accurate meaning in the most concise way.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
S
Re: Contrary to financial analysts, who predicted last year that the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2018, 02:46
E
Contrary to financial analysts,who predicted last year that the market for home computers would dwindle, the personal computer industry continued to show strong growth in the first quarter of this year.

(a) analysts, who predicted - contrary to prediction not analysts themselves
(b) analysts, whose predictions - contrary to prediction not analysts themselves
(c) analysts and their predictions- and their unnecessary, not contrary to both
(d) analysts' predicting - incorrect
(e) analysts' predictions - correct

KUDOS Please..!!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2018, 03:15
analysts' refer to the group of analysts whereas analysts refer to the plural form of analyst.

Contrary to group of financial analysts predictions, hence, convey correct meaning.

Therefore, e is correct

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2018, 07:40
Contrary to financial analysts, who predicted last year that the market for home computers would dwindle, the personal computer industry continued to show strong growth in the first quarter of this year.

(a) analysts, who predicted --> "the industry continue ..., contrary to analysts" , doesn't make sense, it should be contrary to something/predictions
(d) analysts' predicting
(e) analysts' predictions --> correct : plural "analysts", plural "predictions"
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2019, 22:16
The contrary statement refers to the prediction and not to the analysts. The contrast is between the prediction and the outcome. So, choice A and B and C are out. Choice D also gives the same sense that the contrast is between the outcome and the analysts. Only choice E correctly marks the contrast. Hence, E is the answer.
Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 3.9
WE: Account Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Contrary to financial analysts, who predicted last year that the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2019, 05:00
LordStark wrote:

(d) analysts' predicting

https://www.nytimes.com/1997/04/28/business/strong-growth-in-pc-industry-reports-say.html

Despite Wall Street anxieties about the market for home computers, the personal computer industry over all continues to show strong growth, according to two reports to be issued on Monday.

Hi,
What jumps straight out right after the non-essential modifier is the noun, the personal computer industry, which did something against analysts!! But because its in the non-underlined portion, it is correct. So there is a meaning error that needs correction.
B has the same error. OUT
C makes analysts and their predictions parallel. OUT
D predicting makes it just wrong. there is a proper noun in the dictionary, why use a gerund ??
E uses the noun required "prediction". Now, the meaning error is corrected.: Winner

~If you do what's easy, your life will be hard. If you do what's hard, your life will be easy~
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2019, 06:05
LordStark wrote:

(d) analysts' predicting

"the personal computer industry" is a thing and not a person. " financial [u]analysts," is a group of persons. Now a person cant be compared with 'a thing'. So option A is wrong.
Option B repeats the same error. Option C takes 'analysts' too and so repeats the same error. Option D also uses 'analysts'".
Option E introduces "predictions' and is the correct answer.
Please give me kudo s if you liked my answer.
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2019, 02:12
LordStark wrote:

(d) analysts' predicting

gerund, a doing form of verb, which has some functions of verb and function of noun, can take object but can not take possesive because it dose not have all function of noun. prediting in choice d is gerund, so, it can not go with possesive "analyst's"

the most easy way to remember is
possessive+doing+direct object is alway wrong

even if predicting is correct. doing as a noun is different from normal noun in that doing as a noun focuses on process. normal noun focuses on action. we do not want process inhere, so, choice d is wrong
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2019, 03:32
LordStark wrote:

(d) analysts' predicting

permit me to post second time because now, i figure out new thing on this question.

regarding contrary.
we can compare noun with noun, using contrary.
my idea is contrary to your idea. this is simple use of adjective phrase.

but contrary phrase can work as adverbial, which modify the main action in the main clause though the phrase is adjective phrase. adverb, adjective phrase, doing phrase, do-ed phrase can be adverbials (phrase modifying the main action).

in choice e, contrary phrase work as adverb modifying the main action. because it is adverbial, its position can be flexible. contrary to adjective phrase, which should be close to the headnoun.

in choice e, we compare two actions. the first action is encoded in action noun, prediction, the second in definite verb, "continued to grow".

I find this point because I see that "prediction" can not be parallel to industry. so, the comparision must be between action and action.

another sentence i want to analyse

contrary to your idea, which is pessimistic, my idea is positive.

in this sentence, "contrary..."phrase refer to the subject and,so, must be close to the subject, (if it is not, the sentence is inferior). but is still an adverbial modifying the main action. inhere, "contrary to..." is adjective phrase primarily but in sentence level, it is adverbial. the parallelism is between noun and noun, but "contrary.." phrase is adverbial.

what i want to say is that in both sentences above, the phrase "contrary to..." is adverbial, but one phrase refers to the subject and, so, need to be close to it and one phrase dose not.

am i correct? pls, comment. thank you
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Contrary to financial analysts, who predicted last year that the   [#permalink] 15 May 2019, 03:32

Contrary to financial analysts, who predicted last year that the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics