Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 23 Jul 2019, 07:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Corporate Spokesperson: There has been much ado about the lack of glob

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 29 Jan 2017
Posts: 14
Corporate Spokesperson: There has been much ado about the lack of glob  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2017, 08:34
8
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

70% (02:00) correct 30% (02:07) wrong based on 399 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics


Corporate Spokesperson: There has been much ado about the lack of global corporate responsibility, but most of the harm done was incidental: corporations were in the historically unprecedented position of having substantial wealth and reach without having any of the obligations of the traditional state. This will soon change, however, as more than 50 international corporations this year enjoyed sales in excess of the GDP of 60% of the world’s countries.

Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the spokesperson’s argument?


A. Enjoying financial resources equal to or greater than those of the traditional sovereign state does not necessarily entail an acceptance of the obligations traditionally accepted by such a state.

B. Corporate revenue and influence is expected to increase in the years to come.

C. Many corporations are among the world’s top employers.

D. Many corporations are among the world’s top polluters.

E. Most of the 50 corporations mentioned are expected to see significant decreases in sales as a result of a recent international recession.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 29 Jan 2017
Posts: 14
Re: Corporate Spokesperson: There has been much ado about the lack of glob  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2017, 08:36
Its tough to understand the prompt, please shed some light.
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 26 Dec 2015
Posts: 246
Location: United States (CA)
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE: Investment Banking (Venture Capital)
Re: Corporate Spokesperson: There has been much ado about the lack of glob  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2017, 19:23
2
avi1787 wrote:
Its tough to understand the prompt, please shed some light.


i'll bite.

the idea is that corporate responsibility has not been necessary/needed in the past. why, you ask? b/c it can be inferred that corporations were never in that kind of a position (of heaving enormous wealth and reach w/out any of the responsibilities of a traditional state)

- don't believe me? it's inferred directly in the passage: "corporations were in the historically unprecedented position of having substantial wealth and reach without having any of the obligations of the traditional state."
-- let's pick this apart. "C's were in the HISTORICALLY UNPRECEDENTED (meaning: never happened before in history) POSITION OF HAVING $ AND RESOURCES. This says that C's NEVER HAD that kind of reach before.

Now, as a twist, the passage says THIS WILL CHANGE. Meaning: C's will be in this position soon. Okay, they'll be in the position, so what? Does this mean C's HAVE TO adopt the same responsibilities traditional states have had to deal with in the past? This is where we get (A)

Kudos please if helpful :)
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 27 Jan 2016
Posts: 127
Schools: ISB '18
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
Re: Corporate Spokesperson: There has been much ado about the lack of glob  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2017, 02:17
LakerFan24 wrote:
avi1787 wrote:
Its tough to understand the prompt, please shed some light.


i'll bite.

the idea is that corporate responsibility has not been necessary/needed in the past. why, you ask? b/c it can be inferred that corporations were never in that kind of a position (of heaving enormous wealth and reach w/out any of the responsibilities of a traditional state)

- don't believe me? it's inferred directly in the passage: "corporations were in the historically unprecedented position of having substantial wealth and reach without having any of the obligations of the traditional state."
-- let's pick this apart. "C's were in the HISTORICALLY UNPRECEDENTED (meaning: never happened before in history) POSITION OF HAVING $ AND RESOURCES. This says that C's NEVER HAD that kind of reach before.

Now, as a twist, the passage says THIS WILL CHANGE. Meaning: C's will be in this position soon. Okay, they'll be in the position, so what? Does this mean C's HAVE TO adopt the same responsibilities traditional states have had to deal with in the past? This is where we get (A)

Kudos please if helpful :)

Can you pls explain why E is wrong..??

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-850M using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 26 Dec 2015
Posts: 246
Location: United States (CA)
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE: Investment Banking (Venture Capital)
Re: Corporate Spokesperson: There has been much ado about the lack of glob  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2017, 07:30
srikanth9502 why does "E" look attractive to you?

Let's break "E" down. It basically says: "(Most of the mentioned companies) are expected to see significant decreases in sales as a result of a recent international recession."

The main point to note here is: this A/C contradicts the argument ("...more than 50 international corporations this year enjoyed sales in excess of the GDP of 60% of the world’s countries."). The passage says companies did well, why is "E" saying otherwise?
- The key thing here is to pay attention to the ebb and flow of the argument. It is clear here that historically, companies are not used to having so many resources, but recently the tide has turned

Kudos please if you find this helpful :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 16 Jul 2013
Posts: 7
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Corporate Spokesperson: There has been much ado about the lack of glob  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2017, 05:52
Hello Experts,

Please shed some light on this question. I am not able to understand the argument
Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 09 Mar 2017
Posts: 514
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Corporate Spokesperson: There has been much ado about the lack of glob  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2018, 04:55
avi1787 wrote:
Corporate Spokesperson: There has been much ado about the lack of global corporate responsibility, but most of the harm done was incidental: corporations were in the historically unprecedented position of having substantial wealth and reach without having any of the obligations of the traditional state. This will soon change, however, as more than 50 international corporations this year enjoyed sales in excess of the GDP of 60% of the world’s countries.

Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the spokesperson’s argument?

Enjoying financial resources equal to or greater than those of the traditional sovereign state does not necessarily entail an acceptance of the obligations traditionally accepted by such a state.
Corporate revenue and influence is expected to increase in the years to come.
Many corporations are among the world’s top employers.
Many corporations are among the world’s top polluters.
Most of the 50 corporations mentioned are expected to see significant decreases in sales as a result of a recent international recession.


Premise: Spokesperson says that the harm was done not because of Lack of Responsibility but because of surplus of wealth, a condition that was never witnessed in past and concludes that this will soon change. (we don't really need the next info)The spokesperson now presents the reason of a ONE-TIME surplus of wealth
GOAL: To weaken we need to show that the harm was done because of the lack of responsibility and not because of the ONE-TIME event.

A says that having surplus wealth does not compels a state to accept its obligations/responsibilities. -----> Thus, the reason of the harm done is because the state did not perform its responsibilities. Goal accomplished.

E, on the other hand, is supporting the argument saying that the surplus wealth was due to increased sales, a condition that will not occur again.
_________________
------------------------------
"Trust the timing of your life"
Hit Kudus if this has helped you get closer to your goal, and also to assist others save time. Tq :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 07 Mar 2019
Posts: 35
Re: Corporate Spokesperson: There has been much ado about the lack of glob  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2019, 08:29
Can an expert please explain why E is wrong ?
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 12 Jul 2017
Posts: 192
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q48 V34
CAT Tests
Corporate Spokesperson: There has been much ado about the lack of glob  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2019, 09:58
1
Priyanka1293 wrote:
Can an expert please explain why E is wrong ?

Hi Priyanka,

Though not an expert, but I have some clue as to why option E is wrong. Hope this helps you.

So basically the argument is that TILL now much of the harm thought of is due to lack of CORPORATE GLOBAL RESPONSIBILITY, but author suggests that it was mere incidental .
Now he presents his reasoning that Although the corporations were big positions till now did not oblige with the STATE ( GOVERNMENT). For example, say Amazon is a giant in India but it does not share good obligations with Indian Government. In recession, it can take a hit. But will that hit decide it's obligations with Indian government? Maybe/Maybe not.

And then author says that this would change now ( this is the conclusion). Why this would change? Because many international firms ( more than 50) enjoyed sales MORE than GDP of 60% of countries.

Do you see that there is a gap in the conclusion? The conclusion says that it will SOON change on basis of what? On basis of many international firms doing good businees in MAJORITY of the nations. Author here assumes that to do such type of business, you need to have a proper obligation. So our answer choice should play on this assumption. In other and simple words, obligation is NECESSARY for such huge sales and good position.

Option A says OBLIGATION is not necessary for achieving such wealth. This will BREAK down our condition of obligation and hence this fits perfect.

However when you say that of these 50 nations in FUTURE, MAJORITY would loose sales. This is only half of the condition presented. Now what are the reasons for this dip in sales? It could be the internal causes or anything in the light of EXPECTED RECESSION. Basically option E does not relate the obligation to dip in sales. You can take this option to either way. Either that even with obligaiton these companies had a dip in sales or you can say the government did not oblige with them. So this will have multi dimensional impact on the conclusion and thus this option is difficult to qualify as a weakener.

What I mean to say is that even with RECESSION, there could be possibility that the obligation persists. So here (in option E) we do not eliminate the possibility of neccessity of Obligation.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Rishav
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
D
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9458
Location: Pune, India
Re: Corporate Spokesperson: There has been much ado about the lack of glob  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2019, 22:12
avi1787 wrote:
Corporate Spokesperson: There has been much ado about the lack of global corporate responsibility, but most of the harm done was incidental: corporations were in the historically unprecedented position of having substantial wealth and reach without having any of the obligations of the traditional state. This will soon change, however, as more than 50 international corporations this year enjoyed sales in excess of the GDP of 60% of the world’s countries.

Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the spokesperson’s argument?


A. Enjoying financial resources equal to or greater than those of the traditional sovereign state does not necessarily entail an acceptance of the obligations traditionally accepted by such a state.

B. Corporate revenue and influence is expected to increase in the years to come.

C. Many corporations are among the world’s top employers.

D. Many corporations are among the world’s top polluters.

E. Most of the 50 corporations mentioned are expected to see significant decreases in sales as a result of a recent international recession.


There has been much ado about the lack of global corporate responsibility
More than 50 international corporations this year enjoyed sales in excess of the GDP of 60% of the world’s countries.

Conclusion: Global corporates will take responsibility now.

We need to weaken the conclusion. The author is saying that since the sales of 50 corporates was more than GDP of 60% of countries, corporates will take responsibility now. But what if corporates do not accept the obligations of the state just because their sales is higher than GDP of the country? Then the corporates may not take responsibility.

A. Enjoying financial resources equal to or greater than those of the traditional sovereign state does not necessarily entail an acceptance of the obligations traditionally accepted by such a state.

Correct. If more resources than the state does not entail acceptance of the obligations accepted by the state, then the corporations may not take responsibility and hence lack of global corporate responsibility may continue.

B. Corporate revenue and influence is expected to increase in the years to come.

What will happen in years to come is irrelevant. If corporate revenue increases in future, we would hope that corporates will take even more responsibility.

C. Many corporations are among the world’s top employers.

Irrelevant

D. Many corporations are among the world’s top polluters.

Irrelevant

E. Most of the 50 corporations mentioned are expected to see significant decreases in sales as a result of a recent international recession.

Doesn't matter. Again, what happens in future is irrelevant. If corporates see decrease in revenue, GDP may decrease too due to recession. So corporates may still make more than the GDP. In any case, we are talking about the current status and the possibility of corporates taking up responsibility.

Answer (A)
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 23 Dec 2011
Posts: 44
Re: Corporate Spokesperson: There has been much ado about the lack of glob  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2019, 21:20
VeritasKarishma wrote:
avi1787 wrote:
Corporate Spokesperson: There has been much ado about the lack of global corporate responsibility, but most of the harm done was incidental: corporations were in the historically unprecedented position of having substantial wealth and reach without having any of the obligations of the traditional state. This will soon change, however, as more than 50 international corporations this year enjoyed sales in excess of the GDP of 60% of the world’s countries.

Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the spokesperson’s argument?


A. Enjoying financial resources equal to or greater than those of the traditional sovereign state does not necessarily entail an acceptance of the obligations traditionally accepted by such a state.

B. Corporate revenue and influence is expected to increase in the years to come.

C. Many corporations are among the world’s top employers.

D. Many corporations are among the world’s top polluters.

E. Most of the 50 corporations mentioned are expected to see significant decreases in sales as a result of a recent international recession.


There has been much ado about the lack of global corporate responsibility
More than 50 international corporations this year enjoyed sales in excess of the GDP of 60% of the world’s countries.

Conclusion: Global corporates will take responsibility now.

We need to weaken the conclusion. The author is saying that since the sales of 50 corporates was more than GDP of 60% of countries, corporates will take responsibility now. But what if corporates do not accept the obligations of the state just because their sales is higher than GDP of the country? Then the corporates may not take responsibility.

A. Enjoying financial resources equal to or greater than those of the traditional sovereign state does not necessarily entail an acceptance of the obligations traditionally accepted by such a state.

Correct. If more resources than the state does not entail acceptance of the obligations accepted by the state, then the corporations may not take responsibility and hence lack of global corporate responsibility may continue.

B. Corporate revenue and influence is expected to increase in the years to come.

What will happen in years to come is irrelevant. If corporate revenue increases in future, we would hope that corporates will take even more responsibility.

C. Many corporations are among the world’s top employers.

Irrelevant

D. Many corporations are among the world’s top polluters.

Irrelevant

E. Most of the 50 corporations mentioned are expected to see significant decreases in sales as a result of a recent international recession.

Doesn't matter. Again, what happens in future is irrelevant. If corporates see decrease in revenue, GDP may decrease too due to recession. So corporates may still make more than the GDP. In any case, we are talking about the current status and the possibility of corporates taking up responsibility.

Answer (A)



Hi VeritasKarishma,

but from the prompt can we deduce that the financial resources are equal to or greater than that of the govt? do't we have to make so many assumption to reach to this conclusion?
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
D
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9458
Location: Pune, India
Re: Corporate Spokesperson: There has been much ado about the lack of glob  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2019, 04:13
anupam87 wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
avi1787 wrote:
Corporate Spokesperson: There has been much ado about the lack of global corporate responsibility, but most of the harm done was incidental: corporations were in the historically unprecedented position of having substantial wealth and reach without having any of the obligations of the traditional state. This will soon change, however, as more than 50 international corporations this year enjoyed sales in excess of the GDP of 60% of the world’s countries.

Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the spokesperson’s argument?


A. Enjoying financial resources equal to or greater than those of the traditional sovereign state does not necessarily entail an acceptance of the obligations traditionally accepted by such a state.

B. Corporate revenue and influence is expected to increase in the years to come.

C. Many corporations are among the world’s top employers.

D. Many corporations are among the world’s top polluters.

E. Most of the 50 corporations mentioned are expected to see significant decreases in sales as a result of a recent international recession.


There has been much ado about the lack of global corporate responsibility
More than 50 international corporations this year enjoyed sales in excess of the GDP of 60% of the world’s countries.

Conclusion: Global corporates will take responsibility now.

We need to weaken the conclusion. The author is saying that since the sales of 50 corporates was more than GDP of 60% of countries, corporates will take responsibility now. But what if corporates do not accept the obligations of the state just because their sales is higher than GDP of the country? Then the corporates may not take responsibility.

A. Enjoying financial resources equal to or greater than those of the traditional sovereign state does not necessarily entail an acceptance of the obligations traditionally accepted by such a state.

Correct. If more resources than the state does not entail acceptance of the obligations accepted by the state, then the corporations may not take responsibility and hence lack of global corporate responsibility may continue.

B. Corporate revenue and influence is expected to increase in the years to come.

What will happen in years to come is irrelevant. If corporate revenue increases in future, we would hope that corporates will take even more responsibility.

C. Many corporations are among the world’s top employers.

Irrelevant

D. Many corporations are among the world’s top polluters.

Irrelevant

E. Most of the 50 corporations mentioned are expected to see significant decreases in sales as a result of a recent international recession.

Doesn't matter. Again, what happens in future is irrelevant. If corporates see decrease in revenue, GDP may decrease too due to recession. So corporates may still make more than the GDP. In any case, we are talking about the current status and the possibility of corporates taking up responsibility.

Answer (A)



Hi VeritasKarishma,

but from the prompt can we deduce that the financial resources are equal to or greater than that of the govt? do't we have to make so many assumption to reach to this conclusion?


We are given that more than 50 international corporations this year enjoyed sales in excess of the GDP of 60% of the world’s countries.
So sales of these companies was more than GDP of 60% of the countries. The entire argument is dependent on this that when the amount of resources available is this high, the corporation is bound to take the obligation that the State has.
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Corporate Spokesperson: There has been much ado about the lack of glob   [#permalink] 17 Jul 2019, 04:13
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Corporate Spokesperson: There has been much ado about the lack of glob

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne