GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Mar 2019, 09:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Created in 1945 to reduce poverty and stabilize foreign currency

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
G
Reviews Badge
Created in 1945 to reduce poverty and stabilize foreign currency  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2018, 23:38
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

64% (01:41) correct 36% (02:02) wrong based on 387 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Created in 1945 to reduce poverty and stabilize foreign currency markets, the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund have, according to some critics,continually struggled to meet the expectations of their major shareholders—a group comprising many of the world’s rich nations—but neglected their intended beneficiaries in the developing world.

A. continually struggled to meet the expectations of their major shareholders— a group comprising many of the world’s rich nations—but neglected
B. continually struggled as they try to meet the expectations of their major shareholders—a group comprising many of the world’s rich nations—while neglecting that of
C. continually struggled to meet their major shareholders’ expectations—a group comprising many of the world’s rich nations—but neglected that of
D. had to struggle continually in trying to meet the expectations of their major shareholders—a group comprising many of the world’s rich nations—while neglecting that of
E. struggled continually in trying to meet their major shareholders’ expectations—a group comprising many of the world’s rich nations—and neglecting

Please +1 kudos if my post/reply helps !!

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Operations
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Created in 1945 to reduce poverty and stabilize foreign currency  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2018, 09:06
PP777 wrote:
Created in 1945 to reduce poverty and stabilize foreign currency markets, the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund have, according to some critics,continually struggled to meet the expectations of their major shareholders—a group comprising many of the world’s rich nations—but neglected their intended beneficiaries in the developing world.

A. continually struggled to meet the expectations of their major shareholders— a group comprising many of the world’s rich nations—but neglected
B. continually struggled as they try to meet the expectations of their major shareholders—a group comprising many of the world’s rich nations—while neglecting that of
C. continually struggled to meet their major shareholders’ expectations—a group comprising many of the world’s rich nations—but neglected that of
D. had to struggle continually in trying to meet the expectations of their major shareholders—a group comprising many of the world’s rich nations—while neglecting that of
E. struggled continually in trying to meet their major shareholders’ expectations—a group comprising many of the world’s rich nations—and neglecting

Choice E- two ideally parallel entities Struggled and Neglecting are obviously not parallel.WRONG.
Choice D- usage of past perfect 'had to struggle' indicated that it struggled first then did something else, which is missing.WRONG.
Choice C- Wrong modifier usage 'Shareholders' expectation- a group company...' nonsensical. WRONG.
Choice-B- Again parallelism seems off- struggled and neglecting. WRONG IMO.
Choice A- Looks the best bet. Please enlighten me folks. But meaning wise usage of But is confusing me.

Kindly help! :-) :(
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2018, 12:52
swagatamoitra

Here is my take on this question & I too have a doubt. May be some good scorers can shed some light. gmatexam, abhimahna

A. continually struggled to meet the expectations of their major shareholders— a group comprising many of the world’s rich nations—but neglected (The only confusion I have in this is the use of two "-" then But. Based on my understanding the structure of the sentence seems to be this: Verb-ed modifier, IC, but IC. Now the confusion is can - replace a comma??. Other then this confusion everything else in this options is correct)

B. continually struggled as they try to meet the expectations of their major shareholders—a group comprising many of the world’s rich nations—while neglecting that of (Wrong because I believe the use of they here is redundant. For example its better to say: John and katie have struggled to meet the expectations VS John & Katie have struggled as they try to meet the expectations) Also that of at the end of this option does not seems correct because it almost seems as per this option that WB & IMF have struggled to meet the expectations of shareholders while neglecting the expectations of their beneficiaries. Whereas the real meaning is that WB & IMF have struggled to meet the expectations of their shareholders and neglected the real beneficiaries for which these two identities were created in the first place. I am not so clear about the parallelism)

C. continually struggled to meet their major shareholders’ expectations—a group comprising many of the world’s rich nations—but neglected that of (Wrong because A noun +noun modifier does not have any identity to modify. expectations can not be a group. Also the noun + noun modifier here is: "a group(noun) + comprising many of the world's rich nations (Verb-ing modifier)

D. had to struggle continually in trying to meet the expectations of their major shareholders—a group comprising many of the world’s rich nations—while neglecting that of ( Wrong because we can not say the world bank and IMF(International world bank) have had to struggle. I am positive that the use of have+ had is not correct- But if someone can confirm this I will appreciate it)

E. struggled continually in trying to meet their major shareholders’ expectations—a group comprising many of the world’s rich nations—and neglecting (Wrong because A noun +noun modifier does not have any identity to modify. expectations can not be a group. Also the noun + noun modifier here is: "a group(noun) + comprising many of the world's rich nations (Verb-ing modifier)

1. Well Begun is Half done
2. He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask a question remains a fool forever.
3. The night is darkest just before the dawn

BSchool Forum Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Re: Created in 1945 to reduce poverty and stabilize foreign currency  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2018, 07:44
Hello Rocket7,
Please find my comments in red below.

Here is my take on this question & I too have a doubt. May be some good scorers can shed some light. gmatexam, abhimahna

A. continually struggled to meet the expectations of their major shareholders— a group comprising many of the world’s rich nations—but neglected (The only confusion I have in this is the use of two "-" then But. Based on my understanding the structure of the sentence seems to be this: Verb-ed modifier, IC, but IC. Now the confusion is can - replace a comma??. Other then this confusion everything else in this options is correct)
--Yes we can use "-" instead of a ",". The only difference is that "-" is stronger than ",".

B. continually struggled as they try to meet the expectations of their major shareholders—a group comprising many of the world’s rich nations—while neglecting that of (Wrong because I believe the use of they here is redundant. For example its better to say: John and katie have struggled to meet the expectations VS John & Katie have struggled as they try to meet the expectations) Also that of at the end of this option does not seems correct because it almost seems as per this option that WB & IMF have struggled to meet the expectations of shareholders while neglecting the expectations of their beneficiaries. Whereas the real meaning is that WB & IMF have struggled to meet the expectations of their shareholders and neglected the real beneficiaries for which these two identities were created in the first place. I am not so clear about the parallelism)
--Your analysis is correct

C. continually struggled to meet their major shareholders’ expectations—a group comprising many of the world’s rich nations—but neglected that of (Wrong because A noun +noun modifier does not have any identity to modify. expectations can not be a group. Also the noun + noun modifier here is: "a group(noun) + comprising many of the world's rich nations (Verb-ing modifier)
--I am not sure of what noun+ noun modifier but your analysis of "expectations" is spot on. Also, the usage of "that" in the end is wrong.

D. had to struggle continually in trying to meet the expectations of their major shareholders—a group comprising many of the world’s rich nations—while neglecting that of ( Wrong because we can not say the world bank and IMF(International world bank) have had to struggle. I am positive that the use of have+ had is not correct- But if someone can confirm this I will appreciate it)
--Yes "have had" is wrongly used here

E. struggled continually in trying to meet their major shareholders’ expectations—a group comprising many of the world’s rich nations—and neglecting (Wrong because A noun +noun modifier does not have any identity to modify. expectations can not be a group. Also the noun + noun modifier here is: "a group(noun) + comprising many of the world's rich nations (Verb-ing modifier)
--Again I am not sure of noun + noun modifier and again your analysis of "expectations" is spot on. Also if you have a look at "and neglecting" at the end, the usage is incorrect. We need a "but" to show contrast. Also usage of present continuous is wrong (neglecting) because in order to maintain parallelism (struggled ..... neglected ...) we need simple past tense.

I hope that helps a bit!

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!
Preparing for RC my way
RC Summary Activity - New Project to imporve RC Skills
Bloomberg's US Bschool Ranking

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant | 2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation | 3. LSAT RC compilation | 4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal | 5. QOTD RC (Carcass) | 6. Challange OG RC | 7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2018, 08:14
PP777 wrote:

I solved this using the concept of modifiers & POE, "major shareholders" has to be "a group comprising many of the world’s rich nations", so, C & E are out. It's A, B or E.

A. continually struggled to meet the expectations of their major shareholders— a group comprising many of the world’s rich nations—but neglected - Remains. Correct.

B. continually struggled as they try to meet the expectations of their major shareholders—a group comprising many of the world’s rich nations—while neglecting that of - Incorrect. "they, "thier", "that of" and "verb+ing" too much going on here.

C. continually struggled to meet their major shareholders’ expectations—a group comprising many of the world’s rich nations—but neglected that of - Incorrect as explained above.

D. had to struggle continually in trying to meet the expectations of their major shareholders—a group comprising many of the world’s rich nations—while neglecting that of - "had to", verb+ing, "that of" too much going on here.

E. struggled continually in trying to meet their major shareholders’ expectations—a group comprising many of the world’s rich nations—and neglecting - Incorrect as explained above.

Answer: (A).

:-) Non-Allergic To Kudos :-)

Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2019, 01:44
Dear experts,

If the sentence was : Created in 1945 to reduce poverty and stabilize foreign currency markets, the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund have, according to some critics,continually struggled to meet the expectations of their major shareholders—a group comprising many of the world’s rich nations—but neglected those of (expectations of) their intended beneficiaries in the developing world.

Would it be correct sentence? Expectations of shareholders and expectations of beneficiaries seems logical to me.

If time was on my side, I'd still have none to waste......

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2019, 02:20
Mehemmed wrote:
Dear experts,

If the sentence was : Created in 1945 to reduce poverty and stabilize foreign currency markets, the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund have, according to some critics,continually struggled to meet the expectations of their major shareholders—a group comprising many of the world’s rich nations—but neglected those of (expectations of) their intended beneficiaries in the developing world.

Would it be correct sentence? Expectations of shareholders and expectations of beneficiaries seems logical to me.

yes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 2.81
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2019, 10:00
PP777 wrote:

A. continually struggled to meet the expectations of their major shareholders— a group comprising many of the world’s rich nations—but neglectedCorrect

B. continually struggled as they try to meet the expectations of their major shareholders—a group comprising many of the world’s rich nations—while neglecting that ofverb tense error - "as they try should be as they tried", pronoun number mismatch- "that" doesn't match with plural "expectations"

C. continually struggled to meet their major shareholders’ expectations—a group comprising many of the world’s rich nations—but neglected that of"a group comprising many of the world’s rich nations" this group is not expectations, pronoun number mismatch- "that" doesn't match with plural "expectations"

D. had to struggle continually in trying to meet the expectations of their major shareholders—a group comprising many of the world’s rich nations—while neglecting that of pronoun number mismatch- "that" doesn't match with plural "expectations", parallelism error

E. struggled continually in trying to meet their major shareholders’ expectations—a group comprising many of the world’s rich nations—and neglecting"a group comprising many of the world’s rich nations" this group is not expectations, parallelism error

GMATNinja, generis

My doubt is regarding option D and E
Can you explain what is the issue in use of "had" here?
"in trying to meet their expectations" is this usage correct in option E?

Resources
GMATNinja Webinars
GMATNinja Chats

Quant
Mixtures

GMAT Club Bot
Created in 1945 to reduce poverty and stabilize foreign currency   [#permalink] 08 Mar 2019, 10:00

Created in 1945 to reduce poverty and stabilize foreign currency

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap