Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:46 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 695 [448]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [99]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [75]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31868 [17]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Re: Created in 1945 to reduce poverty and stabilize foreign currency [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Sash143 wrote:
Created in 1945 to reduce poverty and stabilize foreign currency markets, the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund have, according to some critics, continually struggled to meet the expectations of their major shareholders- a group comprising many of the world's rich nations- but neglected their intended beneficiaries in the developing world.

A)....

B) continually struggled as they try to meet the expectations of their major shareholders- a group comprising many of the world's rich nations- while neglecting that of

C) continually struggled to meet their major shareholders' expectations- a group comprising many of the world's rich nations- but neglected that of

D) had to struggle continually in trying to meet the expectations of their major shareholders- a group comprising many of the world's rich nations- while neglecting that of

E) struggled continually in trying to meet their major shareholders' expectations- a group comprising many of the world's rich nations- and neglecting

another point in addition to daagh post...
what does a group comprising many of the world's rich nations refers to.....
their major shareholders or their major shareholders' expectations...
C and E can be eliminated....
D has an extra 'had so D out..
B is out for changing meaning by usage of 'while" and struggled as is not correct ..
ans A
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [7]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Created in 1945 to reduce poverty and stabilize foreign currency [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
The fastest way for me though this question was to notice that "that" cannot refer to "expectations". Eliminate B, C and D. E can be eliminated on the basis of parallel structure. “Struggled” and “neglecting” are not parallel. Notice also the presence of a contrast in the sentence. They “struggled to meet”… “but neglected”. It is appropriate to have a contrast here. “Struggled to meet” and “neglected / or neglecting” would not work on this basis either.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [2]
Given Kudos: 132
Send PM
Kudos
stevekeating wrote:
The fastest way for me though this question was to notice that "that" cannot refer to "expectations". Eliminate B, C and D. E can be eliminated on the basis of parallel structure. “Struggled” and “neglecting” are not parallel. Notice also the presence of a contrast in the sentence. They “struggled to meet”… “but neglected”. It is appropriate to have a contrast here. “Struggled to meet” and “neglected / or neglecting” would not work on this basis either.

Hello Steve,
Would it be possible to expound why "That" cannot refer to "expectation"
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [10]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
The singular "that" cannot refer to the plural "expectations". It would have to be "those of" to refer to the expectations of their intended beneficiaries in the developing world. Be particularly careful of any "reference" words in GMAT sentence correction problems. Such words include this, that, these and those. Pronouns are also relevant here. You should check what these words refer to. Then ask yourself is there agreement in terms of singular / plural between the reference word and the thing it refers to.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 250
Send PM
Kudos
can anyone explain the change of meaning between BUT & WHILE ? I'm really confused here :/
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [1]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Experts GMATNinja mikemcgarry
can any one please explain clearly the contrast in (A)?
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30776 [8]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Takdir wrote:
can anyone explain the change of meaning between BUT & WHILE ? I'm really confused here :/

Hello Takdir,

I would be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

The word but is used to present a contrast. The word while is used to present either contrast or simultaneous action.

The official sentence in question intends to present the contrast. The World Bank and the the International Monetary Fund have struggled to meet the expectations of certain rich nations. But it has neglected those nations that were meant to be the beneficiary of these organizations.

However, use of while in Choices B and D seems to suggest simultaneous action. Usage of while seems to convey that the two organizations have struggled to meet the expectations of certain rich nations and neglected the intended beneficiaries at the same time. This is not the intended meaning of the sentence.

Hence, to clearly present the contrast with no room for any ambiguity, use of but is appropriate in this official sentence.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30776 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
adkikani wrote:
Hi Experts GMATNinja mikemcgarry
can any one please explain clearly the contrast in (A)?

Hello adkikani /Arpit,

I would be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

Read the sentence very carefully. Right in the beginning, it presents the reason why the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund were created.

So the real beneficiaries of these two organizations should be the developing countries. But that is not the case.

These two organizations have struggled to keep certain rich nations happy and neglected the real beneficiaries.

However, it should be the other way round.

The two organizations have struggled to do what they are not meant to do but have neglected the real beneficiaries.

Thanks.
Shraddha
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4543 [1]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
Kudos
(A) continually struggled to meet the expectations of their major shareholders—a group comprising many of the world’s rich nations—but neglected - Correct.

(B) continually struggled as they try to meet the expectations of their major shareholders—a group comprising many of the world’s rich nations—while neglecting that of - No proper antecedent to 'that'

(C) continually struggled to meet their major shareholders’ expectations—a group comprising many of the world’s rich nations—but neglected that of - Same as B

(D) had to struggle continually in trying to meet the expectations of their major shareholders—a group comprising many of the world’s rich nations—while neglecting that of - Same as B

(E) struggled continually in trying to meet their major shareholders’ expectations—a group comprising many of the world’s rich nations—and neglecting - Parallelism error

Answer: A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [6]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 460 Q23 V31
GMAT 2: 530 Q36 V26
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Hi there, I am struggling with the logic of this particular contrast? My understanding is that these organizations have failed in two ways that are not in contrast with each other. One regarding major shareholders and the other intended beneficiaries. If they were meeting major shareholders' expectations, but ignoring their intended beneficiaries, then I would agree with the contrast. Thanks in advance.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30776 [6]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
svanbergh13 wrote:
Hi there, I am struggling with the logic of this particular contrast? My understanding is that these organizations have failed in two ways that are not in contrast with each other. One regarding major shareholders and the other intended beneficiaries. If they were meeting major shareholders' expectations, but ignoring their intended beneficiaries, then I would agree with the contrast. Thanks in advance.

Hello svanbergh13,

I will be glad to help you with this one. :-)

Created in 1945 to reduce poverty and stabilize foreign currency markets, the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund have, according to some critics, continually struggled to meet the expectations of their major shareholders—a group comprising many of the world’s rich nations—but neglected their intended beneficiaries in the developing world.

The sentence starts with the purpose why the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund were created. They were created to reduce poverty and to stabilize foreign currency markets. Now, these financial institutions struggled to meet the expectation of their major shareholders that comprised may rich nations. But they neglected their real beneficiaries in the developing world.

So the sentence intends to project that these institutions did what they were not meant to do but neglected to do what they were actually meant to do. The contrast brings out the irony presented in the sentence.

Thanks.
Shraddha
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [12]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
svanbergh13 wrote:
If they were meeting major shareholders' expectations, but ignoring their intended beneficiaries, then I would agree with the contrast.

Hi svanbergh13, this is indeed the intended meaning and I can understand why the word struggled is creating a confusion here.

Here, struggled is used in the sense of strove (past tense of strive). So, replace struggled with strove, and the sentence would make sense.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [12]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Kudos