GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 21 Apr 2018, 23:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Data Sufficiency Pack 4, Question 4) 3 siblings - Alan, Betty and Carl

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Data Sufficiency Pack 4, Question 4) 3 siblings - Alan, Betty and Carl [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2015, 15:25
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

50% (02:20) correct 50% (01:45) wrong based on 121 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

QUANT 4-PACK SERIES Data Sufficiency Pack 4 Question 4 3 siblings - Alan, Betty and Carl...

3 siblings - Alan, Betty and Carl - were the only ones to receive part of a $300,000 inheritance. Did any of the three receive more than forty percent of the total inheritance?

1) Carl received a larger inheritance than Alan and a larger inheritance than Betty.
2) The combined total of Alan’s and Betty’s inheritances was equal to three times Betty’s inheritance.

48 Hour Window Answer & Explanation Window
Earn KUDOS! Post your answer and explanation.
OA, and explanation will be posted after the 48 hour window closes.

This question is part of the Quant 4-Pack series

Scroll Down For Official Explanation
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

EMPOWERgmat Discount Codese-GMAT Discount CodesOptimus Prep Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Re: Data Sufficiency Pack 4, Question 4) 3 siblings - Alan, Betty and Carl [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2015, 21:58
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
QUANT 4-PACK SERIES Data Sufficiency Pack 4 Question 4 3 siblings - Alan, Betty and Carl...

3 siblings - Alan, Betty and Carl - were the only ones to receive part of a $300,000 inheritance. Did any of the three receive more than forty percent of the total inheritance?

1) Carl received a larger inheritance than Alan and a larger inheritance than Betty.
2) The combined total of Alan’s and Betty’s inheritances was equal to three times Betty’s inheritance.

We know A+B+C =100%. A =Alan, B = Betty, and C = Carl
Question: Any of three person holds for over 40%???

=> C >A and C>B

If A, B = 32% => C = 36% < 40%
If A, B = 20% => C = 60% > 40%

Insufficient

2) The combined total of Alan’s and Betty’s inheritances was equal to three times Betty’s inheritance

A+B = 3B => A = 2B

=>A+B+C = 3B+C

3B+C = 100% => C= 100% - 3B
When B is lower than 20%, C is higher than 40%
When B is equal or higher than 20% => A is higher than 40% and C is lower than 40%

In both cases, any of three holds for over 40%

=> Sufficient

ANS: B
Expert Post
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
D
GMAT 1: 800 Q59 V59
GPA: 3.82
Re: Data Sufficiency Pack 4, Question 4) 3 siblings - Alan, Betty and Carl [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2015, 01:44
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. In DS, Variable approach is the easiest and quickest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem. Remember equal number of variables and independent equations ensures a solution.

There are 3 variables (A,B,C) and one equation (A+B+C=300,000(100%)) in the original condition, 2 more equations in the given conditions, giving high chance (C) will be our answer.
Looking at the conditions together,
C>A=2B, C>B, A+B+C=100%, 2B+B+C=100%, 3B+C=100%, B=(100%-C)/3. If this is substituted in C>2B,
C>2(100%-C)/3, 3C>2(100%-C)=200%-2C --> 5C>200%, C>40%.
Therefore, C is greater than 40%, and the answer becomes (C).

For cases where we need 2 more equations, such as original conditions with “2 variables”, or “3 variables and 1 equation”, or “4 variables and 2 equations”, we have 1 equation each in both 1) and 2). Therefore, there is 70% chance that C is the answer, while E has 25% chance. These two are the majority. In case of common mistake type 3,4, the answer may be from A, B or D but there is only 5% chance. Since C is most likely to be the answer using 1) and 2) separately according to DS definition (It saves us time). Obviously there may be cases where the answer is A, B, D or E.

MathRevolution: Finish GMAT Quant Section with 10 minutes to spare
The one-and-only World’s First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS with ease, speed and accuracy.
"Only $79 for 3 month Online Course"
"Free Resources-30 day online access & Diagnostic Test"
"Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself"

Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2015, 09:20
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:

Hi Rich,

I was down to C and E but chose E. Please find below my observations

Case 1: If A gets 80k, B gets 40k and C gets 120k, then None will get more than 40%
Case 2: If A gets 100k, B gets 50k and C gets 150k, then C gets more than 40%.
So we have two different cases here. Could you please tell me where I am going wrong? Also, statement 1 means that C gets more than A and B right?

Thanks.
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2015, 22:57
camlan1990 wrote:

2) The combined total of Alan’s and Betty’s inheritances was equal to three times Betty’s inheritance

A+B = 3B => A = 2B

=>A+B+C = 3B+C

3B+C = 100% => C= 100% - 3B
When B is lower than 20%, C is higher than 40%
When B is equal or higher than 20% => A is higher than 40% and C is lower than 40%

In both cases, any of three holds for over 40%

=> Sufficient

ANS: B

Hi camlan1990,

With Fact 2, you've correctly deduced at A = 2B, but we don't know how C relates to the other two variables. The question asks if any of the three received MORE than 40%. You've come up with a couple of examples in which one of the three received more than 40%, but is it possible that NONE of them received more than 40%.....

IF....
B = 20%
A = 2(20%) = 40%
C = 40%

In this scenario, NONE of the three received more than 40%, so the answer to the question would be NO. Combined with the work that you've already done, we have proof that Fact 2 is INSUFFICIENT.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2015, 23:00
KS15 wrote:

Hi Rich,

I was down to C and E but chose E. Please find below my observations

Case 1: If A gets 80k, B gets 40k and C gets 120k, then None will get more than 40%
Case 2: If A gets 100k, B gets 50k and C gets 150k, then C gets more than 40%.
So we have two different cases here. Could you please tell me where I am going wrong? Also, statement 1 means that C gets more than A and B right?

Thanks.

Hi KS15,

The idea to TEST VALUES here is a good one. In your first example though, you've made a small mistake - the three values don't total $300,000 (80k + 40k + 120k = 240k). In that example, using the values for A and B that you've selected, C would end up with 180k (which IS more than 40%).

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2015, 23:09
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:

Hi All,

From the prompt, we can immediately create an equation:

A + B + C = 300,000

The question asks if any of the three receives MORE than 40% of the $300,000 inheritance. We can 'rewrite' the question as "does any of the three receive MORE than $120,000?" You can work through this prompt in terms of the $300,000 and $120,000 OR you can work through it in terms of the percents involved. Either way, we're dealing with a YES/NO question.

This tells us that C > A and that C > B. We don't know the relative values of any of the three though, so we can TEST VALUES to prove that there's more than one possibility...

IF...
A = 20%
B = 20%
C = 60%
And the answer to the question is YES.

IF...
A = 30%
B = 30%
C = 40%
And the answer to the question is NO.
Fact 1 is INSUFFICIENT

This Fact can be translated into...

A + B = 3B
A = 2B

We don't know how C relates to the other two variables though...

IF...
A = 10%
B = 20%
C = 70%
And the answer to the question is YES.

IF...
A = 20%
B = 40%
C = 40%
And the answer to the question is NO.
Fact 2 is INSUFFICIENT

Combined, we know....
C > A and C > B
A = 2B

Using our prior work as a basis for comparison, we can use the following TEST to define how the variables relate to one another...

IF...
A = 20%
B = 40%
C = 40%
Then C is NOT greater than B, so this TEST is NOT permissible. For C to be BIGGER than B, both A and B would have to be smaller (which would increase C past 40%).

For example...

IF...
A = 19%
B = 38%
C = 43%
Thus, the answer to the question is ALWAYS YES.
Combined, SUFFICIENT

Final Answer:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE: General Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2016, 08:20
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:

Nice Question. Here is my solution:
Share of Alan, Betty and Carl = A, B & C respectively.

Given: A + B + C = 300k
Question: Is A/B/C > 40% of 300k or 120k?

When I am given absolutely no info about the variables in the question, I Always start with Statement 2 because Statement 1 is generally designed to plant a subtle constraint in mind which we carry forward to Statement 2.

II

A + B = 3B
=> A = 2B

Cases => A = $2; B = $1 and rest for C => Answer Yes
A = 40%; B = 20%; C = 40% => Answer No

I picked 40% for A because it is the terminal value as mentioned in the question. Greater than 40% -> Yes; Less than or Equal to 40% -> No. They must have picked it for some specific reason.
So, make it a note: ALWAYS check the answers for Terminal values.

I.

C > A
C > B
Doesn't really say anything. We can have either cases:
C = 34%; A = 33% ; B = 33% Answer No
and
C = 50%; A = 20%; B = 30% Answer Yes

Taking I & II together

A = 2B
Therefore, A > B
And Hence, C > A > B

Now is the tricky part..

Maximum value that B can have < 20%
Because if B = 20%; A = 40% & C = 40%
Thus violating Statement I

If we put B = 19%,
=> A = 38% & C = 43%

For B = 15%, A = 30% and C = 55%

So, we can see that C is increasing beyond 40% with decreasing B. Therefore, Correct answer is C.

I'd appreciate learning about the grammatical errors in my posts

Please hit Kudos If my Solution helps

My Debrief for 750 - https://gmatclub.com/forum/from-720-to-750-one-of-the-most-difficult-pleatues-to-overcome-246420.html

My CR notes - https://gmatclub.com/forum/patterns-in-cr-questions-243450.html

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 12:44
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Re: Data Sufficiency Pack 4, Question 4) 3 siblings - Alan, Betty and Carl   [#permalink] 22 Dec 2017, 12:44

Data Sufficiency Pack 4, Question 4) 3 siblings - Alan, Betty and Carl

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap