GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2018, 15:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Debrief: 760 GMAT in 20 Days!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Debrief: 760 GMAT in 20 Days!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2018, 11:46
Hello Guys!
So, I wrote my GMAT on July 20, 2018, and scored a 760 (Q50 V42 IR8 AWA5) in my first attempt…. With 20 Days of preparation! Yes, it may sound crazy but I did not know what the GMAT was 2 months before I gave the exam! I got to know about the GMAT during my finals, and it quite intrigued me… I was the editor of my school magazine and had scored a 100% in my class 12 Boards in Mathematics (that year only 257 students managed to do so!) and my first reaction was pretty simple... I’m a natural at this… this utopian thinking was brought to an abrupt end when I took my mock within 20 minutes of getting to know about the exam… and scoring a 560. Yes! My overconfidence came down shattering then and there. (and this is the first lesson one has to know about the GMAT: Do NOT get overconfident EVER

1st June 2018, I started to prepare for the GMAT. As everyone probably does, I started off solving the OG. This was where I caught a whiff of my first problem area- Sentence Correction. I was consistently scoring 4-6/14 on the Sentence correction part, even though I had a 75-80% accuracy for CR and RC. But I simply went on to practise questions without going through the concepts. And this was a major hindrance in my prep, as I was unable to substantially improve my SC score. This was more of a casual phase of my preparation, where I focused on more practising questions than on perfecting concepts.

On 1st July 2018, I booked my first attempt. This was the turning point in my preparation. I sat down, at 1 AM on 2nd July to analyse my performance- by topic and by type of question. This was by far the most important aspect of my preparation. I decided to get some help for my SC score and I purchased the E-Gmat Verbal course. This really helped me solve my problem for verbal. I had small gaps in my understanding which the course helped plug. But besides that, it gave me a very important tool to work with- a strategy. The GMAT is a test of logic and strategy and developing these 2 skills is very important to ace the test.

Using the error analysis step, I was able to identify all errors easily and then was able to correct them, thus increasing my accuracy to 95% on the Scholaranium! This debunked one myth I had about the questions on GMAT SC- that there would be only one error in a question. With this, I was able to solve 1 side of the problem better and thus went back to practising for the GMAT on tests and question sets. But now I wanted to improve my strategies for my other sections as well… so I revisited the e-GMAT course to understand strategies to solve the CR and RC sections. The Pre-thinking approach for CR helped me ensure that my accuracy was very high on CR and using the 6 reading strategies prescribed by e-GMAT, I was able to ensure that my mind did not drift away during a long RC.

This accounted for a substantial portion of my test prep time, and by this time my test was only 3-4 days away. But there was a problem. My test scores were not improving- they were stuck at a 740. Because my Quant (which I had neglected till now) had started to fall.
I analysed my problem areas in the e-GMAT quant Scholaranium and ensured revision of the concepts that I was making errors in. And then back to the Scholaranium to practise the questions and solidify my approach. This technique paid me dividends as I was able to sustain high scores for both quant and verbal in my mocks.

Basically, what I want you to take away from this is as follows:
1. GMAT is a test of logic, DON’T forget this at any cost. Many questions (Specially CR and DS) require you to understand the logic behind them and the information provided to you and then move from there. Do not blindly look at the options to try to solve questions.
2. Keep a methodical approach in your preparation. Identify a pain-point, work on it and then test yourself to ensure complete understanding.
3. Do NOT fret from giving mocks as these are very important to gauge your current performance, but at the same time do not give too many mocks (1-2 a week MAX).
4. Stick to Official resources and supplement them with only TRUSTED resources, if at all required.
My Recommendation to anyone planning to take the GMAT is this:
1. Give a baseline mock
2. Analyse it to identify problem areas and strong points
3. Work on mastering problem areas (If the area is Verbal, go for the e-GMAT course… I cannot emphasize on how much it helped me over all other resources)
4. TEST yourself periodically

I suppose that’s all I have to share with you guys. This forum has been of immense help to me during my prep and I wish everyone the best for their GMAT attempt. I have practised a lot of questions on this forum and this helped me get into the habit of solving questions.

Just one last thing, On the day of the exam, try to remain calm…. No amount of preparation can help you if you panic during the exam.

--

My Mock Scores
The Economist GMAT Tutor (free sim): 560
Gmat Prep1: 740
Gmat Prep2: 710 (was super sleepy)
Gmat Prep3: 750 (after verbal course had begun)
Gmat Prep4: 740 (Quant score dropped)
Gmat Prep5: 770
Gmat Prep6: 770 (1 day before the exam)
Main GMAT: 760

-- Recommended Resources
OG and Quant & Verbal Review
E-GMAT Verbal Course
E-GMAT Quant Course
Manhatten Prep Verbal Books (If in need of additional resources)
Economist GMAT Tutor Discount CodesJamboree Discount Codese-GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Debrief: 760 GMAT in 20 Days!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2018, 12:35
Congratulations on achieving such an awesome score and many thanks for sharing your thoughts and tips.

It es especially impressive considering your short timeframe of prep.

All the best with regards to your applications,
Chris

A couple of things that helped me in verbal:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-strategies-268700.html#p2082192

Gmat Prep CAT #1: V42, Q34, 630
Gmat Prep CAT #2: V46, Q35, 660
Gmat Prep CAT #3: V41, Q42, 680

On the mission to improve my quant score, all help is appreciated! :)

e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2018, 04:13
ABBBCCCCC - Thank you for taking the time out to write your story. Improving to 760 in 20 days is impressive. I understand that you used Scholaranium extensively to isolate your weakness and subsequently ensure that you have improved on the same. Can you elaborate the same using a few examples?

-Rajat

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2018, 23:55
egmat wrote:
ABBBCCCCC - Thank you for taking the time out to write your story. Improving to 760 in 20 days is impressive. I understand that you used Scholaranium extensively to isolate your weakness and subsequently ensure that you have improved on the same. Can you elaborate the same using a few examples?

-Rajat

Hi Rajat!

So I'll take 2 examples of how the Scholaranium helped me improve my score:

Verbal: I had errors in SC as I have mentioned above. But what I was unable to identify was which topic area was weak. Solving questions on Scholaranium I was able to identify that I was making errors in identifying questions with multiple errors.

Similarly for CR, essentially I had a 75-80% accuracy... but I managed to get most boldface questions wrong.. the complicated terminology baffled me. The Scholaranium was able to point that out with a poor hit rate in that area. Then I went back to the Concept files to understand the errors and then proceed.

Quant: When I started practising in the Scholaranium, I noticed why I was losing marks on quant. I was getting more Geometry questions and I had not revised the concepts properly.

The Scholaranium helped me identify problem areas which I could then work to solidify into my strengths.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
Debrief: 760 GMAT in 20 Days!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2018, 08:11
Congratulations. This is an amazing score. Scoring 760 with 20 days of prep is just amazing. I have heard good things about e-gmat's SC but I am currently using Magoosh and mgmat for SC so will see how that goes.

What schools are you considering applying to? Good luck for your applications. Cheers!
Debrief: 760 GMAT in 20 Days! &nbs [#permalink] 31 Jul 2018, 08:11

Debrief: 760 GMAT in 20 Days!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, bb, EMPOWERgmatRichC

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR AUGUST
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap