GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Aug 2018, 09:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Dilemma

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Dilemma  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2018, 07:02
Hey Guys,

This is my first post in the forum and i am a new member so please excuse if i make any mistakes.

Below is my profile:

- Indian banker with 12 years of experience.
- Post graduate in management from indian university. Equivalent to MBA minus the years of work ex.
- 6 digit monthly salary with fairly decent career growth including promotions at regular intervals.
- Gmat - Preparing..Dreading.. with quants being the weak leg. Should get average scores.
- GPA - not sure how to calculate it but GMAT official website says i am between 3.5 - 4.
- Decent EC with no community service experience.

I have hit the glass ceiling in my career reaching the mid management level from where the growth has become stagnant. The only option i see is getting international MBA degree with global exposure and to look for sector change.
The below are few concerns that i have for which i seek some solutions :
1. Do i go for a regular 2 years MBA vis a vis 1 year EMBA. Considering my experience and age bracket (36), i don't want to end up competing 24-26 year old guys.
2. Does MBA for USA make sense with the ongoing visa issues.
3. Quiting a decent paying job to pursue MBA & coming back to India with $ 200k debt would be a nightmare especially when i have my family dependent on me.

Wanted to check if some other experienced members have been in my shoes and could spare a thought. Also anyone who has not been in the situation but can opine with fresh perspective is welcome.
Any specific schools in USA where my profile would be a good fit?

Cheers.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Re: Dilemma  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2018, 23:22
Hello Andyrogers

Based on your background an MBA can be fruitful only if you are absolutely clear that you need it.
Not sure what your specific career goals are. While I understand the glass ceiling, are you sure that it is the lack of an MBA that is holding you back and nothing else?
I mean, you already have the knowledge based from your past PGDM. Can you move up through alternate ways, say a job change or training sponsored by your employer etc.?
First establish that it is the lack of an MBA which is holding you back and by getting it you will be able to break the so called glass ceiling.
The choice of schools, country or 1 vs 2 year MBA is a question that will have to be tackled after that.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

Andyrogers wrote:
Hey Guys,

This is my first post in the forum and i am a new member so please excuse if i make any mistakes.

Below is my profile:

- Post graduate in management from indian university. Equivalent to MBA minus the years of work ex.
- 6 digit monthly salary with fairly decent career growth including promotions at regular intervals.
- Gmat - Preparing..Dreading.. with quants being the weak leg. Should get average scores.
- GPA - not sure how to calculate it but GMAT official website says i am between 3.5 - 4.

I have hit the glass ceiling in my career reaching the mid management level from where the growth has become stagnant. The only option i see is getting international MBA degree with global exposure and to look for sector change.
1. Do i go for a regular 2 years MBA vis a vis 1 year EMBA. Considering my experience and age bracket (36), i don't want to end up competing 24-26 year old guys.
3. Quiting a decent paying job to pursue MBA & coming back to India with $ 200k debt would be a nightmare especially when i have my family dependent on me.

Wanted to check if some other experienced members have been in my shoes and could spare a thought. Also anyone who has not been in the situation but can opine with fresh perspective is welcome.

Cheers.

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2018, 21:49
I would highly advise you against doing a regular 2 year MBA. If at all MBA is on your mind, you should be looking for an executive MBA. INSEAD, ISB and few US B-Schools offer 1 year executive MBA which can be completed with a minimal discontinuity in work. See if these fit your bill.
Andyrogers wrote:
Hey Guys,

Below is my profile:

Cheers.

http://aidmit.com/

INSEAD CLASS OF 19J

Founder, Aidmit.com
We help you secure MBA Admit

SVP
SVP
D
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2018, 01:32
Hi
I agree with all above posts but I'd like o highlight a point that all schools will question why you want to do MBA while you have equivalent certificate. You must have clear powerful vision.
Re: Dilemma &nbs [#permalink] 31 Jul 2018, 01:32

Dilemma

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap