GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2018, 01:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Dilemma: Full time MBA - Foster v/s Tepper

new topic post reply Update application status  

Full Time MBA: Foster v/s Tepper

• 57% [4]
  • 42% [3]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.34
Dilemma: Full time MBA - Foster v/s Tepper  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2018, 08:09
Hello All,

I am very happy to report that I have received admits from both Foster ($10K scholarship + In-state tuition) and Tepper (no scholarship).

My intention for applying to these schools was to change industries and start my post MBA career in Tech. (Microsoft, Amazon, Salesforce) or Consulting (Deloitte, PWC, Slalom). Both of these schools have strong connections in both of these industries and send many students for roles in these industries. From my research, I get a feeling that Tepper is more of a national MBA brand when compared to Foster (which is strong in the Pacific North West).

Some details about me that might help: - Engineer, working in Business Development at a mid-size manufacturing company in Texas. - Wife is working for Amazon and can easily move to Seattle if I decide to pursue Foster. In case of Tepper, she will stay in Texas. - Will be 31 at matriculation - Undergrad: Ohio State; Grad: University of Texas at Austin

Here is my Dilemma: I am not sure about how much more can Tepper help me in achieving my post MBA goals when compared to Foster. In case of Tepper, my total expenses will be ~ $180K ($130K tuition + $50K living and other expenses for 2 years). At Foster, my total expenses will be ~$85K ($60K tuition + $25K expenses as my wife and I can stay together and will not have to pay for 2 rents).

Is the ~$100K difference worth for getting my MBA at Tepper for short and long-term growth. Or can Foster also provide me with the same opportunities.
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Dilemma: Full time MBA - Foster v/s Tepper  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2018, 10:11
MBA2K17 wrote:
Hello All,

I am very happy to report that I have received admits from both Foster ($10K scholarship + In-state tuition) and Tepper (no scholarship).

My intention for applying to these schools was to change industries and start my post MBA career in Tech. (Microsoft, Amazon, Salesforce) or Consulting (Deloitte, PWC, Slalom). Both of these schools have strong connections in both of these industries and send many students for roles in these industries. From my research, I get a feeling that Tepper is more of a national MBA brand when compared to Foster (which is strong in the Pacific North West).

Some details about me that might help: - Engineer, working in Business Development at a mid-size manufacturing company in Texas. - Wife is working for Amazon and can easily move to Seattle if I decide to pursue Foster. In case of Tepper, she will stay in Texas. - Will be 31 at matriculation - Undergrad: Ohio State; Grad: University of Texas at Austin

Here is my Dilemma: I am not sure about how much more can Tepper help me in achieving my post MBA goals when compared to Foster. In case of Tepper, my total expenses will be ~ $180K ($130K tuition + $50K living and other expenses for 2 years). At Foster, my total expenses will be ~$85K ($60K tuition + $25K expenses as my wife and I can stay together and will not have to pay for 2 rents).

Is the ~$100K difference worth for getting my MBA at Tepper for short and long-term growth. Or can Foster also provide me with the same opportunities.

Hi MBA2K17,

First of all congrats on offers.

Secondly, I don't see dilemma at all.

In your particular case I dont see what you get with Tepper except 100k debt.

Microsoft, Amazon and Salesforce, where you want to work are already in the West some of them pretty close to Foster.

Go to Foster.
Thats from my standpoint.
Thats what I would do.

Your kudos are much appreciated

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2018, 10:36
Thanks for your reply. I have the same thing going in my mind. But what about 5-10 years down the road. Will one give any advantage over the other.
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2018, 11:03
Research said that Foster has bigger starting salary :)

What distinct advantage does Tepper have for you, since I don't see it ?

Your kudos are much appreciated

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2018, 11:26
Quote:
Research said that Foster has bigger starting salary :)

What distinct advantage does Tepper have for you, since I don't see it ?

May be nationwide brand recognition and alumni network. Most of the Foster MBAs are in PNW whereas Tepper MBAs are placed all over the country. For my tech/consulting goals, Foster can help me out. I am not sure how much a stronger brand like Tepper can help me 10 years down the road if I am looking for a senior level position.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Dilemma: Full time MBA - Foster v/s Tepper  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2018, 12:15
That's a substantial cost differential. I don't think Tepper is going to trump Foster in your situation.

Jobs are plentiful in Seattle if you have experience to leverage and not constrained by H1B work visa.

The cost of living has gone up quite a bit (search for rentals on Zillow or craigslist to get a taste of it). Here is a nice place in Kirkland that just got built to give you an idea: https://www.apartments.com/voda-kirkland-wa/q7bdlyy/ (it is walking distance to Google campus and probably a bit on the high side) but at $2K for a 600 sq ft studio, seems a bit over the top. Will be a bit of a house shock if you own a big place in Texas.

Something to keep in mind as you calculate the cost of living in Pittsburgh vs. Seattle.

P.S. To answer your question, 10 years down the road - think about how much your undergrad degree will be helping you get your new promotion 10 years after graduation. Usually, BSchools only help you land that first job, after that, the training wheels are off and you are on your own. There is a chance you may run into an Alum and network through them but in general, I don't hear much from the Top 10/20 folks about the wonders of their Alum networks; it is usually the people they know personally.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Quant OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2018, 12:53
bb wrote:
That's a substantial cost differential. I don't think Tepper is going to trump Foster in your situation.

Jobs are plentiful in Seattle if you have experience to leverage and not constrained by H1B work visa.

The cost of living has gone up quite a bit (search for rentals on Zillow or craigslist to get a taste of it). Here is a nice place in Kirkland that just got built to give you an idea: https://www.apartments.com/voda-kirkland-wa/q7bdlyy/ (it is walking distance to Google campus and probably a bit on the high side) but at $2K for a 600 sq ft studio, seems a bit over the top. Will be a bit of a house shock if you own a big place in Texas.

Something to keep in mind as you calculate the cost of living in Pittsburgh vs. Seattle.

P.S. To answer your question, 10 years down the road - think about how much your undergrad degree will be helping you get your new promotion 10 years after graduation. Usually, BSchools only help you land that first job, after that, the training wheels are off and you are on your own. There is a chance you may run into an Alum and network through them but in general, I don't hear much from the Top 10/20 folks about the wonders of their Alum networks; it is usually the people they know personally.

I really appreciate your feedback.

I do not have any tech company experience but I am confident that I can leverage my operations/sales experience to land a post MBA role in tech or at a consulting company. H1B is not a constraint.

Will one school prepare me better for my transition into tech or consulting over the other. I agree that the cost differential is substantial but this is the last time I will be going back to school, so just trying to think of all the good vs bad for both the schools.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2018, 12:57
Just saw this pop up on my news feed in case you were considering buying something in the Seattle area:
https://www.seattletimes.com/business/real-estate/seattle-area-home-market-heats-up-yet-again-leading-the-country-for-17th-straight-month/

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Quant OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

GMAT Club Bot
Dilemma: Full time MBA - Foster v/s Tepper &nbs [#permalink] 27 Mar 2018, 12:57

Dilemma: Full time MBA - Foster v/s Tepper

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch, swbluedevil

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap