Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:02 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Stern '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
WE:Analyst (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Directory of MBA Applicant Blogs [#permalink]
FROM MBA Data Guru: The Most Common Stern/NYU Interview Questions

Back in December, I interviewed with Stern. I am happy to say that I was accepted. I used Clear Admit to prepare, and it was very helpful. I felt completely prepare and don’t remember being caught off guard. I have created a list of the most common questions you can expect during an interview because I want to help all of my potential future classmates. Most interviews are around 30 minutes and conducted by an admissions staff member who has read your full application. My first question was about a unique activity that I participate in that I mentioned in the interview. When you arrive, you will receive a folder with information about clubs/programs you mentioned you would be interested in. You will also be given a Stern shirt so you can show your pride if you are admitted. I interviewed right before winter break so I didn’t hear back for almost 3 weeks, but often candidates get their decision in as little as a few days. Don’t forget to bring a copy of your transcripts, your application cannot proceed without them. I forgot mine and had to overnight them when I got back home.

• What questions do you have for the interviewer? (10)
  • What is your back up plan if you don’t get a job in your desired post-MBA role? (9)
  • Why do you want to attend Stern? (9)
  • How did you come to work for XYZ company? Or why did you transition for XYZ company to ABC company? (8)
  • What programs would you get involved with at Stern? (8)
  • Describe a conflict you had at work (or challenging situation or time you failed) and how you overcame it. (7)
  • What is your proudest professional achievement? (7)
  • What companies do you want to work at post MBA? (Have a list of 5 companies and reasons for each one) (6)
  • How would your (friends, manager or colleague) describe you? (5)
  • Where would you like to intern between your first and second year? (5)
  • How is your post MBA goal different from your current role? (4)
  • How do you plan to market yourself to your target industry? (3)
  • Tell me about yourself or walk me through your resume. (3)
  • What is the weakest aspect of your resume? (3)
  • If 25 years from now you were asked to return to Stern to speak, how would you want to be introduced? (3)
  • If you are admitted to all of the schools you applied to, how will you decide which school to attend? (2)
  • What is your role within a team? (2)
  • Why do you want to get an MBA? (2)
  • What other schools are you applying to?
  • What other schools did you apply to? How would you decide where to attend?
  • What frustrates me the most at my current role?
  • What role would I prefer to take (if any) in a student organization?
  • Tell me about what you’ve learned working at your current company?
  • What’s the best constructive criticism your boss has given you?
  • What do you hope to learn from your future classmates?
  • How did you choose to attend ABC for undergrad? What is your best memory of your time there?
  • How did you first hear about Stern and in what ways did you learn about the school?
  • What most surprises you about Stern?
  • Is international experience important to me in my business school experience? Why?
  • Tell me what you like to do in your free time.
  • What do you like about New York? What neighborhoods would you consider living in?
  • What would you change/enhance on the Stern website?
  • Why do you want to pursue your short-term post-MBA goals I had lived and worked abroad and given this context, she asked if I had a country I could visit as part of the ‘Doing Business In’ programme, which one would it be?
  • What makes Stern’s culture different from other schools?
  • What else would you like to address the adcom?
  • During the first few weeks at Stern, how will you distinguish yourself from the other students?
  • Why do your MBA in New York City? (about the city.. not the school)
  • As an international, how would I find a job in the field that I want?
  • Ok, but why will they hire you and not someone else?
  • What do you bring to the class?
The one question that rubs me the wrong way is the question about what your back up plan is if you don’t get into the post-MBA role you want. As a potential member of the class of 2016, I wonder is it so common that Stern students fail to get the job they want post MBA that Stern need to ask almost every student this question?

Other interview preparation articles:

MIT / Sloan Interview Question Preparation

Wharton / Upenn Interview Question Preparation

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
FROM Defying Gravity - The MBA Journey: And the winner is Kellogg...No, wait, it's Tuck!
The past 5 days have been pretty intense. I'm totally not complaining about having options, but I have been insanely stressed. In the battle between Tuck and Kellogg, I finally made the decision late Sunday evening to enroll at Kellogg. I appreciate Kellogg's strengths in marketing and social enterprise, and I loved the school when I visited. It's a solid, top 5 program that will help me reach my goals.

I  clicked the "enroll" button on the online portal, and felt relatively confident with my decision. "I am going to Kellogg," I thought.

But then, I woke up Monday morning with doubts. The costs of earning a MBA are astronomical. Am I really going to turn down a full scholarship?! I spent Monday and Tuesday chatting with some current Tuckies who I met when applying. They alleviated a couple of small, personal concerns that I had, and reignited my initial excitement and passion for that program. I interviewed with Tuck all the way back in September, and I think that I somehow just started to forget the little things that made me love it.

So, today is the deadline to enroll and submit my deposit at Kellogg. I have a few hours left to change my mind (again), but I'm pretty sure that I'll be choosing Tuck. And surprisingly, my decision is actually not based on the money (although it's obviously a great thing to have). 

It's been a week of soul searching, and I'm feeling good about my decision. I'm excited to be a Tuckie!
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
MBA Blogger
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 510 Q29 V31
GMAT 2: 590 Q32 V38
WE:Research (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
FROM Sarah's MBA Journey: Holiday time: USA road trip
I’m off to the States on Monday :).  It’s a bit of shock, my holiday has crept up on me almost unnoticed.  Thankfully my friend who coming with me kept me updated with a count down! This was planned back in November to allow me to go campus surfing.  Now it’s finally here and I might not even need to visit a campus!

We’ve got of a bit of road trip planned.  First we land in Boston, then head up to Niagara Falls, then swing down into North Carolina, and finish off the trip in D.C.  First time ever renting and driving a car in the states.  Excited and scary at the same time.

Anyone got any hints or tips on what to see, how to get the best bargains? Already got a distillery tour in Chapel Hill off Groupon.

What’s even more scary is is that decision day for Duke is on the 13th March; same day as I’m having a nosy round HBS.  Now that’s bad planning.

Hopefully my MBA blog will briefly change into a travel blog, please forgive me. But to keep in the spirit I will post my thoughts on HBS and Duke (if I take a tour.)

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
FROM MBA Data Guru: How Important is GMAT vs. GPA for Harvard Business School
Word is that Harvard will take a chance on applicants who have low scores, but impressive accomplishments. Lets see if Harvard lives up to its reputation.

As you can see the slope for Harvard is much steeper than for the other schools. The slope of -.0093 means that Harvard would look at an application with a 750 GMAT and 3.0 GPA similarly to a 650 and 3.93. This result is interesting, it shows that on the margin Harvard is weighs GMAT very strongly, however, they are willing to go much lower on the GMAT than other schools. Harvard is willing to take a chance on a low GMAT, but you better have a damn high GPA to make up for it.

It is interesting to look at the total accepts instead of just the accepts on the margin. As you can see below, Harvard seem to be completely missing the population of students with low GPA and really high GMAT. I guess the admissions committee isn’t interested in students who slacked in undergrad and tried to make up for it with GMAT. I find that odd given Harvard’s reputation for grade inflation. They say that the hardest part of Harvard is getting in.

Harvard has an impressive 730 median GMAT. It is interesting that Harvard posts the median GMAT score instead of mean score like other schools. You can hide some very low GMAT scores by only posting a median. I would venture a guess that Wharton’s mean GMAT score, at 725, is higher than Harvard’s mean. After all, Harvard did accept a person with a 550 GMAT score last year. That has to be bringing down the average.

Check out how some of the other schools weigh GMAT vs. GPA:

Wharton / Upenn GMAT vs. GPA

Sloan / MIT GMAT vs. GPA

Tuck / Dartmouth GMAT vs. GPA

Stern / NYU GMAT vs. GPA

Methodology: The scatterplot represents the 50% of applicants who are accepted with the lowest GMAT and GPA. It isn’t helpful to look at the top 50% of applicants because those are not the marginal candidates who barely got in. I occasionally will remove very low outliers because those candidates may have been admitted due to very strong connections that most applicants don’t have. I never remove more than 5% of the total accepted students as outliers. The slope of the scatterplot demonstrates the point at which the school is indifferent to GMAT vs. GPA.
MBA Blogger
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 510 Q29 V31
GMAT 2: 590 Q32 V38
WE:Research (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
FROM Sarah's MBA Journey: Standardised Tests: SAT
I don’t like standardised tests after my GMAT experience; So I feel for everyone who needs to take SAT for college.

NY times just posted a really interesting article about whether SAT are useable when deciding undergraduate admissions. https://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/09/magazine/the-story-behind-the-sat-overhaul.html?hp&_r=1

Wonder when something will take a look at the GMAT?

Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM MBA Data Guru: The Most Common Interview Questions at Tuck
Check out my new MBA Interview Guide.

Tuck interviews are typically 30 to 45 minutes. Typically, the interviewer is a second year student, but on occasion you will be interviewed by an admissions staff member. Unlike most schools, Tuck allows anyone who visits campus to interview. Since Tuck is in a very remote location in New Hampshire, Tuck wants to see that you are committed to the school and are willing to travel to campus. Tuck does extend interview invites to a few select candidates who did not self-initiate an interview, but it is very rare. A member of the admission committee told me that slightly over half the candidates self-initiate an interview.

I highly recommend you self-initiate an interview on campus, because if you don’t then you put yourself at a huge disadvantage.  While visiting campus, visit a class and go on a tour. It is a great way for you to gather material for your essays.

Here is a list of the most common questions asked during a Tuck interview. I also included the probability that each question is asked based on Clear Admit interview reports.

• Why Tuck?  -  (100%)
  • Walk me through your resume  -  (82%)
  • Do you have any questions for me?  -  (76%)
  • What are your short-term and long-term goals?  -  (71%)
  • Why an MBA or why now?  -  (65%)
  • Tell me about a challenge, conflict or difficult situation at work? How did you deal with it?  -  (59%)
  • What is the accomplishment you are most proud of?  -  (29%)
  • What kind of leader are you or how do you interact in a group?  -  (29%)
  • What extracurricular activities do you plan to participate in at Tuck?  -  (29%)
  • What are your three biggest strengths?  -  (29%)
  • What is your biggest weakness, or three biggest weaknesses?  -  (29%)
  • What would you contribute to Tuck?  -  (29%)
  • Tell me about yourself  -  (18%)
  • Are there any questions you wish I had asked you?  -  (18%)
  • What are your other interests or passions?  -  (18%)
  • If you attend Tuck, how would your classmates describe you?  -  (12%)
I interviewed back in December and most if not all of the questions I was asked are on this list. I interviewed with a second year student. He was friendly and laid back. We chatted a little before and after the interview.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM MBA Data Guru: The Most Common Tuck Interview Questions
The Most Common Tuck Interview Questions
Check out my new MBA Interview Guide.

Tuck interviews are typically 30 to 45 minutes. Typically, the interviewer is a second year student, but on occasion you will be interviewed by an admissions staff member. Unlike most schools, Tuck allows anyone who visits campus to interview. Since Tuck is in a very remote location in New Hampshire, Tuck wants to see that you are committed to the school and are willing to travel to campus. Tuck does extend interview invites to a few select candidates who did not self-initiate an interview, but it is very rare. A member of the admission committee told me that slightly over half the candidates self-initiate an interview.

I highly recommend you self-initiate an Tuck interview on campus, because if you don’t then you put yourself at a huge disadvantage.  While visiting campus, visit a class and go on a tour. It is a great way for you to gather material for your essays.

Here is a list of the most common questions asked during a Tuck interview. I also included the probability that each question is asked based on Clear Admit interview reports.

Tuck Interview Questions
  • Why Tuck?  -  (100%)
  • Tell me about a challenge, conflict or difficult situation at work? How did you deal with it?  -  (59%)
  • What extracurricular activities do you plan to participate in at Tuck?  -  (29%)
I interviewed back in December and most if not all of the questions I was asked are on this list. My Tuck interview was with a second year student. He was friendly and laid back. We chatted a little before and after the interview.

MBA Data Guru - Data and analytics that will help you in the MBA admissions process
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
FROM MBA Data Guru: Tuck Interview Preparation
Tuck Interview Preparation

I highly recommend you self-initiate an Tuck interview on campus, because if you don’t then you put yourself at a huge disadvantage.  While visiting campus, visit a class and go on a tour. It is a great way for you to gather material for your essays.

Tuck Interview Questions
  • Why Tuck?  -  (100%)
I interviewed back in December and most if not all of the questions I was asked are on this list. My Tuck interview was with a second year student. He was friendly and laid back. We chatted a little before and after the interview.

Check out my new MBA Interview Guide.

MBA Data Guru - Data and analytics that will help you in the MBA admissions process
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
FROM MBA Data Guru: Harvard GMAT vs. GPA Comparison
Harvard GMAT vs. GPA Comparison
Word is that Harvard will take a chance on applicants who have low scores, but impressive accomplishments. Lets see if Harvard lives up to its reputation.

As you can see the slope for Harvard is much steeper than for the other schools. The slope of -.0093 means that Harvard would look at an application with a 750 GMAT and 3.0 GPA similarly to a 650 and 3.93. This result is interesting, it shows that on the margin Harvard is weighs GMAT very strongly, however, the marginal Harvard GMAT scores are lower than other schools. Harvard is willing to take a chance on a low GMAT, but you better have a damn high GPA to make up for it.

Harvard GMAT vs. GPA All Accepts
It is interesting to look at the total accepts instead of just the accepts on the margin. As you can see below, Harvard seems to be completely missing the population of students with low GPA and really high GMAT. I guess the admissions committee isn’t interested in students who slacked in undergrad and tried to make up for it with GMAT. I find that odd given Harvard’s reputation for grade inflation. They say that the hardest part of Harvard is getting in.

The median Harvard GMAT score is 730. It is interesting that Harvard posts the median GMAT score instead of mean score like other schools. You can hide some very low GMAT scores by only posting a median. I would venture a guess that Wharton’s mean GMAT score, at 725, is higher than Harvard’s GMAT mean. After all, Harvard did accept a person with a 550 GMAT score last year. That has to be bringing down the average.

Check out how some of the other schools weigh GMAT vs. GPA:

Upenn / Wharton GMAT vs. GPA

MIT / Sloan GMAT vs. GPA

Dartmouth / Tuck GMAT vs. GPA

NYU / Stern GMAT vs. GPA

Methodology: The scatterplot represents the 50% of applicants who are accepted with the lowest GMAT and GPA. It isn’t helpful to look at the top 50% of applicants because those are not the marginal candidates who barely got in. I occasionally will remove very low outliers because those candidates may have been admitted due to very strong connections that most applicants don’t have. I never remove more than 5% of the total accepted students as outliers. The slope of the scatterplot demonstrates the point at which the school is indifferent to GMAT vs. GPA. The data for this analysis comes from GMAT Club.

Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
FROM MBA Data Guru: Tuck Interview Preparation Guide
Tuck Interview Preparation Guide

Tuck Interview Questions
  • Why Tuck?  -  (100%)

Check out my new MBA Interview Guide.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM Defying Gravity - The MBA Journey: 1000 Page Views
Woohoo, I've hit 1,000 page views in my first two weeks blogging! Thanks for reading everyone.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM MBA Data Guru: Harvard GPA Impact on Acceptance Rate
Harvard GPA Impact on Acceptance Rate
Harvard business school is ranked first and it is incredibly difficult for applicants to get admitted. If you are applying, then you might wonder what is the minimum Harvard GPA requires in order to have a decent chance of acceptance. I analyzed the data from GMAT Clubapplication data to discover the relationship between Harvard GPA and acceptance rate.

At Harvard GPA is Not Important Unless it is Very High or Very Low
As you can see, the acceptance rate between 3.0 and 3.79 is relatively flat. GPA only seems to have any impact if you are above 3.8 or below 3.0. The acceptance rate for Harvard is higher in the 3.0 to 3.39 range than 3.4 to 3.79. This is likely due to low sample size in the lower GPA range. Although the acceptance rate is 0% below 3.0 in my dataset, I don’t think there is no chance of getting in, it is just very challenging.

At Harvard GPA only starts to help you when your GPA is 3.8 or higher. The average acceptance rate at Harvard is 12%, but it is 20% for applicants with a 3.8 or higher. I could not find any data published by Harvard on average GPA or GPA range. In my dataset, the average GPA of an applicant was 3.55, but the average GPA for someone who was accepted was 3.66. The middle 80% for Harvard GPA was 3.2 to 3.98, which means that 10% of those applicants that Harvard accepts have a GPA of 3.98 or higher.

In summary, if you are applying to Harvard, don’t stress out too much about your GPA as long as it is at least 3.0. Having a somewhat low GPA isn’t going to hurt your chances very much. Harvard only seems to care about how high your GPA is if you have a low GMAT score.

For this analysis, I used data from September 2011 through February 2014. There were 774 applicants in my data set.

Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM MBA Data Guru: MBA Data Guru Reaches 1,000 Visits
MBA Data Guru Reaches 1,000 Visits

I started MBA Data Guru a little over a month ago after all of my MBA applications were submitted. I needed something to distract me while waiting to hear from all of the schools I applied to. When I found the GMAT Club application data, I knew it would be the perfect thing to keep me busy. My goal is to help the next round of applicants to better understand MBA admissions by showing them what their chances are at different schools. Fewer than 40 days after starting this website, it has had over 1,000 visits from more than 700 unique individuals. I think that this is a great start, and I hope to build from here. I plan to not only build this website while waiting to start my MBA, but also continue to work on it while in school. I hope to build this into one of the largest MBA admissions websites.

What is Next from MBA Data Guru?
In addition to working on the MBA Data Guru blog, I am working on building a fully functioning admissions calculator for all of the top MBA programs. This calculator will predict your chances of being admitted into different programs based on a few pieces of information, including GMAT, GPA, years of experience and others. This is a fairly large undertaking because I need to learn how to program HTML, CSS, PHP, JavaScript, R and MySQL. I am making great progress and plan to finish the admissions calculator before I start school in the August. I will also build a comprehensive database of all MBA data you could ever hope to find, including admissions as well as job placement data for all of the top MBA programs. If there is anything that you would find helpful and would like me to add to this website, please let me know by leaving a comment on this article.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
FROM The adventures of a (provisional) MBA student: Admitted Students Weekend – Part 2
As mentioned in my earlier entry, ASW was a action packed couple of days. I covered my first impressions of HBS in Part 1. In Part 2 I’ll take you through what my I got up to on my visit.

Wednesday

I arrived in Boston early, mainly to see an old school friend who was a tutor at Harvard, but also to visit and observe a case discussion. I was lucky enough to get a really easy to follow subject (Entrepreneurship) that focused on a business started by some HBS alums a few years earlier. It was fascinating and well worth visiting, and prepared me well for my own case later in the week. After that I trudged off again through the snowstorm to visit my friend and do a tourist trip around Harvard Yard, before capitulating to jet-lag.

Thursday

Mostly optional events on the first day, I attended (for me at least) an essential Financial Aid and International Office joint presentation, and sat in on an entrepreneurship panel discussion, before the full cohort joined for an evening reception.

Financial Aid was full of details that aren’t particularly relevant if you aren’t attending HBS. However, it is pretty note-worthy that HBS only give out need-based aid and fellowships – the alternative of merit awards have always seemed a little like thinly-veiled bribes to me. What this means as an attendee is that;

• Probably at least some of your class wouldn’t have been financially able to attend HBS without these awards, and this surely encourages greater diversity than would exist otherwise
  • HBS doesn’t have admitted students that have been ‘persuaded’ the join the school. Everyone has chosen HBS without financial incentives.
Details of financial aid are very personal circumstances and specific to individuals, so it can be difficult to know before you put your application in to do any real financial planning – it’s much more like guesswork.

I had the choice of an ‘Entrepreneurship’ panel discussion hosted by the Rock Centre for Entrepreneurship, or a similar ‘Established Companies Careers Service’ event. Being still very undecided about my future career path, I decided to check out the Entrepreneurship panel – after all, it was an area of HBS I was less familiar with and thought I’d learn a little more there.

HBS Panel Discussions – Careers Service and Centre for Entrepreneurship, & Financial Aid (Picture: HBS Admissions Blog)

One of the most exciting parts of the discussion was the fact that 3 out of the 4 panel members, when they attended ASW, went to a similar ‘established companies’ panel. They ‘fell into’ entrepreneurship at HBS. To me, this is far more exciting than hearing from a group who were always destined to be entrepreneurs. I want to believe this option is a possibility even if I don’t pursue it from Day 1. Of particular note was the way FIELD3 (the final part of the new experiential learning course in Year 1 where students begin a new microbusiness) had led to several new viable businesses being started, and these were continued during Year 2.

There was also a walking tour to have a good look at some of the housing options offered by Harvard University as a whole or HBS, most generously current students opening up their own apartments for viewing!

View east from One Western Avenue

After registration, an introduction and a group exercise designed just to get some introductions started we heading off to an evening drinks reception. Putting me in a room with 400 excited fellow-admits and a low ceiling led to me developing temporary deafness…

Friday

The welcome began with introductions from the Co-Presidents of the Student Association and followed by the Dean, both very light-hearted and entertaining.

We were then split into mock sections, and participated in our first case. My own was discussing how to grow an expanding Indian textile producer and retailer, with a member of the faculty who had studied the business in question and had regular contact as they made critical business decisions. It was really interesting to work through a real-life problem and then get a “so what did the business do?” discussion afterwards with the thought process of the managers.

There was a huge amount of activities during the two days, with sub-groups splitting off and having special-interest discussions with what was relevant to them. It was quite an achievement by the admissions team to provide personal itineraries to over 400+ attendees!

Before heading off into Friday evening and an ‘extra-curricular’ event the incoming class had organised ourselves, the event was closed by Director of Admissions Dee Leopold and Associate Dean Youngme Moon – who appeared to be very passionate, warm and also both very funny!

Closing address of ASW: Dee and Youngme with the first half of Class of 2016 (Picture: HBS Admissions Blog)

We got a real sense of the scale of HBS here, with all the attendees of ASW together – and this is only half the incoming class!

Current Student
Given Kudos: 105
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
FROM Domotron's Blog: Part 2 Profile – Elements of an MBA application series

So here we are onto Part 2, an applicant’s profile. Broadly speaking this consists of the following components:

• GPA
  • GMAT (as discussed previously)
  • Nationality
  • Work experience; and
  • Extracurriculars
These factors combine to form an applicant’s “profile”. This profile is a crude but easy way to see how you stack up against the competition and determine whether you are a competitive candidate for your target schools. Most schools publish as part of their class profile the latest GMAT range, GPA range, average years of work experience, and average age. If you fall within these criteria, then you might be a good fit.

For the GMAT and GPA, you will ideally be in the upper half of their range. For example if the 80% GPA range is 3.33 – 3.63 then anything around 3.50 or above will be very solid. As for age and average years of work experience, these factors are far more subjective. In terms of age, typically a class will range from 24 – 35+ with the majority falling between 26-32. I think your age is tied directly to your work experience. For example, if you are older but this is due to military commitments then this is easy to explain. However if you graduated at 21 and have 10+ years of experience, it is more difficult to explain why you need an MBA now (and not an EMBA). It is also not only about the length of work experience but what you have accomplished. 2 years of phenomenal leadership experience would definitely be more useful than 6 years of job hopping with no clear direction.

Extracurriculars. This is the “interesting” element of your profile. I think there is a misconception that you need to start an NGO and save half of Africa from starvation (although if you managed that, awesome!). It is a way of demonstrating to the admissions committees that you are a well rounded person. This can be anything from playing on sports teams, volunteering, hobbies or accomplishments (finishing a triathlon for example). Think of it like this: would you want a classmate who was 100% concentrated on studying with no outside interest? Personally I would find that completely dull and steer clear of that person. HOWEVER, amazing extracurriculars will most likely not make up for other weaknesses. You may be the most interesting person in the world but if you can’t demonstrate the necessary intellectual horsepower, then you will still not be competitive.

Finally, I will bundle gender and nationality together. In the crudest terms think of an MBA class like pokemon. The admissions committee are gonna catch ‘em all or try to create as much diversity as possible. Cue the complaints of but I have a higher GMAT and went to a more prestigious college. Unfortunately, if that was all they looked at then the class would not be diverse at all. Undoubtedly if you come from a far flung location which do not send many people to study for their MBAs, you have a distinct advantage. You can offer something culturally that no one else can. I won’t delve too deeply into the affirmative action argument but promoting diversity in the class is only beneficial I feel because it broadens the horizons of everyone.

Tip: I did not use an admissions consultant. However a lot of them offer free 30 minute chats / reviews of your profile. Others even offer paid for service that really digs into your profile. Take their comments with a pinch of salt but they can help you figure out any weaknesses that you may need to address.

FAQ and debunking some myths

• I have a non-traditional background (non-profit / History major / etc), I have no hope

Nope, actually the poet background or non-traditional path can really work for you. However you need to make it clear HOW your background has got you to this point and why an MBA makes sense. If you lack a quant background, scoring highly on the GMAT as well as taking additional calculus courses will prove your quant abilities and convince the adcoms that you can handle the courses.

• 0 years work experience, should I apply?

In almost all cases, no unless you are apply to deferral programs like HBS 2+2 or Yale Silver Scholars. A big part of an MBA program is learning from your classmates. If you just graduated from college, what will your classmates learn from you? Some schools in fact are quite public in stating that 100% of their class have work experience.
  • Over 30, what are my chances?

Depends how far over 30. Early 30s I think doesn’t create that much of a problem providing your path so far and your reason for an MBA make sense. Once you get towards the mid-to-late 30s, it starts getting more difficult because schools starting eyeing you up for their EMBA programs instead. There are always a few 35+ students in every class but you really have to do a good job selling your case.
  • I am work in PE, Ivy UG 3.8GPA, 700 GMAT therefore I will certainty get into the top 5 schools

Sure you have a good shot but you are competing against applicants who are also accomplished Type-As. Even if you have all the right attributes, it still takes solid execution to get admits. Complacency has scuppered many an MBA applicant I’m sure!
  • I am an Indian IT male, what are my chances? (sorry had to go there)

You guys are in a tough spot unfortunately because competition is fierce among your demographic. However all is not lost. Rather than being stuck in the Indian IT male mould, you need to think outside the box and look for differentiators.
  • I have a horrible GPA but it’s so long ago the admissions committees will overlook that right?

Yes, it was a long time ago and you were too busy partying. I don’t blame you but it’s a weakness. Luckily it’s a common one and can be mitigated to an extent. The recipe is crush the GMAT, be truthful about the reasons in your optional essay, and take supplementary courses to demonstrate your ability.
  • 0 extracurriculars, the adcoms will overlook that right? I was busy with work!

This is actually pretty understandable. Some of us go home from work and just want to relax on the couch and watch a movie or two. However, as I mentioned before, you are competing against accomplished Type-As who somehow make time to volunteer or have a hobby on top of their 100-hour IB work week. So if you have time before you apply, try and add something whether it be a hobby or some volunteering. Having no extracurriculars post-college stands out like a sore thumb.
Previous posts

Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM MBA Data Guru: Wharton GPA Impact on MBA Acceptance Rate
Wharton GPA Impact on MBA Acceptance Rate

When applying to a top MBA program, GMAT and GPA are important parts of the application. As one would expect from a top MBA program, at Wharton GPA has a large impact on your chances of admission. The question is how much does your undergraduate GPA affect your chance of admission. I analyzed the acceptance data from the past two and half years at GMAT Club to see how much GPA impacts acceptance rate. Unlike Harvard where there is little benefit from GPA until 3.8 or higher, at Wharton the acceptance rate generally increases as the undergraduate GPA rises.

At Wharton GPA Increases Chance of Admission

You can clearly see that acceptance rate is lowest below 3.0 and highest in the 3.8 to 4.0 range. There is a slight dip in the 3.6 to 3.79 GPA range. I took a closer look and it appears to be because more applicants in this GPA range worked in industries that Wharton does not value. There are more applicants in the 3.6 to 3.79 range that work in Government and Mutual Funds and fewer in Military and Venture Capital, which are industries that Wharton seems to prefer.

Higher GPA does appear to increase the chance of an applicant being admitted to Wharton, but the slope is not as steep as I would have expected. Unfortunately for some, GPA is stuck in stone. Applicants who hope to increase their chance of admissions need to focus on GMAT to increase their odds. Luckily, data suggests that very high GMAT scores significantly increase the odds that Wharton will accept an applicant. If an applicant studies hard for the GMAT, then a high GMAT score is highly likely achievable. There are many companies that offer GMAT preparation which will increase your chance of admission.

Wharton does not publish statistics on GPA for us to analyze. However, we can look at what the average GPA is in my data set. The mean GPA for accepts at Wharton in my dataset is 3.61 GPA with a middle 80% GPA in the range of 3.23 to 3.94. The mean Wharton GPA of 3.61 is lower than the mean Harvard GPA of 3.66.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM Defying Gravity - The MBA Journey: HBS and GSB Interviews
I am now officially done with b-school interviews! While I am in no way complaining about having the opportunity to interview with some amazing programs, I am extremely ready for this part of the process to be over. I had my GSB interview this week, and my HBS interview last month. Everything else happened back in Round 1, which seriously feels like an eternity ago.

HBS
I expected this one to be a rapid-fire style of crazy questioning. However, it ended up being very relaxed, friendly, and enjoyable. My interviewer smiled and laughed, and was totally unlike the expressionless interrogators that are described online for past HBS interviews. While I have a few things that I wish I had said differently, overall I left feeling pretty confident. Who knows how it will work out in the end, but I think I was able to convey an accurate sense of my personality, motivations, and goals.

Stanford
I am less sure about this one. My interviewer was much more serious and asked a few unexpected questions, although he was still a very nice person to chat with. Interviews are only one part of the decision-making process, but I don't think I presented my best self here. In retrospect, there are quite a few things that I wish I would have had time to say. It's weird, this was my longest interview (about an hour), yet I feel like I had less time to truly show who I am.

I now have exactly two more weeks to hope and stress, and then it will all be over... sort of. I will finally know where I'm going to be for the next two years, and I can begin the next round of stressing -- including finding housing, deciding when to leave my job, and of course worrying about financing this huge endeavor. 
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  48