GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Nov 2018, 15:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Essential GMAT Time-Management Hacks

November 14, 2018

November 14, 2018

08:00 PM MST

09:00 PM MST

Join the webinar and learn time-management tactics that will guarantee you answer all questions, in all sections, on time. Save your spot today! Nov. 14th at 7 PM PST
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)

Doctors in Britain have long suspected that patients who wear tinted

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Doctors in Britain have long suspected that patients who wear tinted  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2015, 09:03
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

56% (02:15) correct 44% (02:33) wrong based on 451 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Doctors in Britain have long suspected that patients who wear tinted eyeglasses are abnormally prone to depression and hypochondria. Psychological tests given there to hospital patients admitted for physical complaints like heart pain and digestive distress confirmed such a relationship. Perhaps people whose relationship to the world is psychologically painful choose such glasses to reduce visual stimulation, which is perceived as irritating. At any rate, it can be concluded that when such glasses are worn, it is because the wearer has a tendency to be depressed or hypochondriacal.

The argument assumes which one of the following?

(A) Depression is not caused in some cases by an organic condition of the body.

(B) Wearers do not think of the tinted glasses as a means of distancing themselves from other people.

(C) Depression can have many causes, including actual conditions about which it is reasonable for anyone to be depressed.

(D) For hypochondriacs wearing tinted glasses, the glasses serve as a visual signal to others that the wearer’s health is delicate.

(E) The tinting does not dim light to the eye enough to depress the wearer’s mood substantially.
Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re: Doctors in Britain have long suspected that patients who wear tinted  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2015, 15:43
The conclusion: when you wear tinted glasses, it must be because you're depressed or hypochondriacal. In other words, the depressions causes you to wear the glasses.

Why? Because tests confirmed that folks who wear tinted eyeglasses are especially likely to be depressed and hypochondriacal.

What's the gap? Well, the correlation/causation issue should be jumping out at you here. Just because these two things tend to occur together doesn't mean one causes the other. It could be that the causation is reversed, or something causes both of them.

(E) plays on this issue. Perhaps the glasses cause the depression, not, as the argument concludes, the other way around. Negated, we see that the glasses do cause depression, which does call into question the argument - could we draw that conclusion based on the evidence given if we knew that tinted glasses cause the depression? No.

As for the other answers:

(A) is tempting, as it addresses causation. But it establishes a cause for depression, we're looking at whether we can establish the cause for wearing the glasses.

(B) is out of scope. It's discussing what folks think about wearing glasses - this doesn't affect causation (and if you think it does, you've added in a whole lot of assumptions).

(C) is similar to (A) in that it tempts you with causation, but again, this is addressing why someone would be depressed, not why someone would wear the glasses.

(D) is funny! And perhaps tempting. It seems like a reason for wearing glasses, but the glasses could serve as a signal without that being the reason that the glasses are worn.

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Intern
Intern
Re: Doctors in Britain have long suspected that patients who wear tinted  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2015, 08:38
souvik101990 i absolutely understand nothing what you said. Can you please elaborate explanation for option E?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2016, 10:45
Please explain. I marked "A" as the correct answer. I still don't get why is E right.
Board of Directors
P
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2016, 06:06
jaskarn singh wrote:
souvik101990 i absolutely understand nothing what you said. Can you please elaborate explanation for option E?
tarun260189 wrote:
Please explain. I marked "A" as the correct answer. I still don't get why is E right.

The stimulus states -

Wearing tinted eyeglasses (Cause)---->Prone to depression and hypochondria (Effect)

It can be concluded that when such glasses are worn, it is because the wearer has a tendency to be depressed or hypochondriacal. (As given in the Stimulus)

Tendency to be depression/hypochondria(Cause)---->Wearing tinted eyeglasses (Effect)

For assumption question the correct Answer must ( According to PowerScore CR Bible)

1. Eliminates alternate cause of stated events
2. Shows , cause Occurs -----> Effect Occurs
3. Shows , cause doesn't Occur -----> Effect doesn't Occurs
4. Eliminates possibility that the stated relationship can be reversed
5. Shows data used to make casual statement are accurate / eliminates problem with data

Option (E) does just the same ( Eliminates possibility that the stated relationship can be reversed ) hence its the correct answer.

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Manager
Manager
G
GPA: 3.33
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2018, 21:58
I do not think the actual exam will like this question because the argument structure is not easy to grasp.
conclusion: " such glasses are worn"
premise: "because the wearer has a tendency to be depressed or hypochondriacal."
All other sentences address only the premise.

E eliminates the reverse relationship: conclusion -> premise.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Sustainability

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2018, 00:58
souvik101990 wrote:
The conclusion: when you wear tinted glasses, it must be because you're depressed or hypochondriacal. In other words, the depressions causes you to wear the glasses.

Why? Because tests confirmed that folks who wear tinted eyeglasses are especially likely to be depressed and hypochondriacal.

What's the gap? Well, the correlation/causation issue should be jumping out at you here. Just because these two things tend to occur together doesn't mean one causes the other. It could be that the causation is reversed, or something causes both of them.

(E) plays on this issue. Perhaps the glasses cause the depression, not, as the argument concludes, the other way around. Negated, we see that the glasses do cause depression, which does call into question the argument - could we draw that conclusion based on the evidence given if we knew that tinted glasses cause the depression? No.

As for the other answers:

(A) is tempting, as it addresses causation. But it establishes a cause for depression, we're looking at whether we can establish the cause for wearing the glasses.

(B) is out of scope. It's discussing what folks think about wearing glasses - this doesn't affect causation (and if you think it does, you've added in a whole lot of assumptions).

(C) is similar to (A) in that it tempts you with causation, but again, this is addressing why someone would be depressed, not why someone would wear the glasses.

(D) is funny! And perhaps tempting. It seems like a reason for wearing glasses, but the glasses could serve as a signal without that being the reason that the glasses are worn.

Hi. Am trying to practice elimination and for B, this is how i eliminated it:

1. this does not address the causal relationship.
2. the phrase "distancing themselves" is somehow related to
"Perhaps people whose relationship to the world is psychologically painful choose such glasses to reduce visual stimulation, which is perceived as irritating." .... and this the opinion of the author thus neither a premise nor a conclusion.

therefore, B is rejected.

am i correct?
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2018, 15:46
Very good question and the word "Perhaps" served as the cue to the answer. Perhaps is a cue word to tell the readers that it is an assumption. And therefore Choice E rightly explains the sentence after Perhaps in the passage.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Doctors in Britain have long suspected that patients who wear tinted &nbs [#permalink] 17 Sep 2018, 15:46

Doctors in Britain have long suspected that patients who wear tinted

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap