GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Nov 2018, 19:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

06:00 PM EST

07:00 PM EST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

Due to the fact that Greg wrecked his family's station wagon

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, HEC, Said
Due to the fact that Greg wrecked his family's station wagon  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2011, 23:39
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

31% (00:52) correct 69% (00:59) wrong based on 509 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Due to the fact that Greg wrecked his family's station wagon during a road trip last summer, he has not been and probably never would be allowed to drive his father's car
A.has not been and probably never would be allowed to drive.
B.has not been allowed to drive and probably never will be allowed to drive.
C.has not and probably never would be allowed to drive.
D.has not and probably will never be allowed to drive.
E.has not and probably never will be allowed to drive.

Please explaing the solution.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
e-GMAT Representative
G
Re: Due to the fact that Greg wrecked his family's station wagon  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2012, 07:38
Hi,
Due to the fact that Greg wrecked his family's station wagon during a road trip last summer, he has not been and probably never would be allowed to drive his father's car.

The only error in this sentence is the verb tense error. Use of “would’ is incorrect here. Conditional “would” is used when the sentence talks about a hypothetical situation, an assumption or any expectation about the future as all these three conditions involve uncertainty. For example: The investors are expecting that the market would improve in the next couple of days.
Use of “would” is correct here because the sentence talks about the expectation of the investors. It is not sure whether the market will really improve or not. Due to the uncertainty of a future event, use of “would” is correct.
In this sentence, it is almost certain that Greg will never be allowed to drive his father’s car in the future. I say almost only because of the presence of “probably” in the sentence. Use of “would” is incorrect here because there is no uncertainty about the fact whether Greg will be allowed to drive his father’s car or not. There is no hypothetical situation here, no assumption and not even any kind of expectation involved in this sentence.

POE:

A: Wrong as discussed.

B: Correct answer. This answer choice uses the correct verb tense as well as the correct parallel structure. Notice that the use of “never” before “will be allowed” is absolutely correct. “never” is an adverb that modifies the verb “will be allowed”. So it is correct to place it before “will be allowed”.

C: Wrong.
i. Same verb tense error as in A.
ii. “has not be allowed to drive” is ungrammatical.

D: Wrong. Same error as in C.

E: Wrong: Same error as in C.

1. Use conditional "would" only when the sentence talks about a hypothetical situation, an expectation about the future or an assumption.
2. The entities in a parallel list must be grammatically as well as logically parallel.
3. The words that are not "repeated" in the sentence must be present in the sentence somewhere in its original form and must not make the sentence ungrammatical.

The concepts covered in this sentence have been covered in e-gmat concepts:
1. Level 2 - Conditional "Would"
2. Level 1 - Parallelism - Identify and Correct
3. Level 1 - Parallelism - Helpful Tips

Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Most Helpful Community Reply
Retired Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2011, 19:12
prashantbacchewar wrote:
Due to the fact that Greg wrecked his family's station wagon during a road trip last summer, he has not been and probably never would be allowed to drive his father's car

Only A and B make parallel senses. However, in choice A, I do not prefer with the tense here. Tense in choice B is more preferable. This point, I agree totally with fluke. Besides, another point, I remember some book says that "if you want to change the tense of the same action, you have to write it again in full version". The placement of "never" is acceptable.

Hope that help :D.

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

General Discussion
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-15-2011
GPA: 3.71
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: SC  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2011, 02:28
Are you sure that the OA is B??
coz i striked off B becuase of its redundancy..I marked D as the answer.

Appreciation in KUDOS please!
Knewton Free Test 10/03 - 710 (49/37)
Princeton Free Test 10/08 - 610 (44/31)
Kaplan Test 1- 10/10 - 630
Veritas Prep- 10/11 - 630 (42/37)
MGMAT 1 - 10/12 - 680 (45/34)

Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 02-10-2012

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2011, 02:50
Got Confused between D and E. Can someone clarify why D/E is wrong?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2011, 04:12
prashantbacchewar wrote:

The SC question is checking ||sm. The answer option should make "he XXXX || YYYY"
Only (B) maintains this ||sm.

Thanks and Regards,
GM.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2011, 10:51
I doubt the OA .
The correct word order should be will never be allowed
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2011, 09:42
Yes the OA is correct.
I chose A. A careless mistake :(

The split is between "has not" and "has not been". The "been" is required here. So C, D and E are out.

Between A and B, although B is wordier, B has the correct tense ("will" is correct. "would" is not correct in this sentence).

Consider KUDOS if you feel the effort's worth it

Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2012, 04:39
Between A and B I chose A on redundancy base,now I understand why it is B.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2012, 05:20
Can't we use the word "would" here??

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2012, 16:13
fluke wrote:
prashantbacchewar wrote:

Answer lies in how well we separate common from the parallel list.

He has not been (allowed to drive his father's car-- Talks about the time since the accident until the present.)
and
probably never would be allowed to drive his father's car. --Was supposed to talk about the time from the present to the future, so "would" is wrong.

He has not:
been allowed to drive-- been allowed
AND
(probably never) will be allowed to drive.--will be allowed.
Correct.

He has not (be allowed)
AND
never would.
Not parallel. Tenses are wrong. Construction awkward.

He has not BE allowed(BE doesn't suit the tense)
AND
will never be allowed.

He has not BE allowed. wrong
He has not allowed. wrong

Ans: "B"

Thank you for the explaination. For some reason my mind did not realize that "and" will also make the ending statements parallel, which makes "has not be" a no brainer to cancel.
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2016, 06:10
egmat wrote:
Hi,
Due to the fact that Greg wrecked his family's station wagon during a road trip last summer, he has not been and probably never would be allowed to drive his father's car.

The only error in this sentence is the verb tense error. Use of “would’ is incorrect here. Conditional “would” is used when the sentence talks about a hypothetical situation, an assumption or any expectation about the future as all these three conditions involve uncertainty. For example: The investors are expecting that the market would improve in the next couple of days.
Use of “would” is correct here because the sentence talks about the expectation of the investors. It is not sure whether the market will really improve or not. Due to the uncertainty of a future event, use of “would” is correct.
In this sentence, it is almost certain that Greg will never be allowed to drive his father’s car in the future. I say almost only because of the presence of “probably” in the sentence. Use of “would” is incorrect here because there is no uncertainty about the fact whether Greg will be allowed to drive his father’s car or not. There is no hypothetical situation here, no assumption and not even any kind of expectation involved in this sentence.

POE:

B: Correct answer. This answer choice uses the correct verb tense as well as the correct parallel structure. Notice that the use of “never” before “will be allowed” is absolutely correct. “never” is an adverb that modifies the verb “will be allowed”. So it is correct to place it before “will be allowed”.

1. Use conditional "would" only when the sentence talks about a hypothetical situation, an expectation about the future or an assumption.
2. The entities in a parallel list must be grammatically as well as logically parallel.
3. The words that are not "repeated" in the sentence must be present in the sentence somewhere in its original form and must not make the sentence ungrammatical.

Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi Shraddha,

Sorry but I do not agree with your explanation. The use of 'probably' is clearly a hypothetical stance and precisely the reason why A should not be the answer as we need 'would instead of will. B should be the correct answer.
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2016, 10:03
KS15 wrote:
egmat wrote:
Hi,

POE:

Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi Shraddha,

Sorry but I do not agree with your explanation. The use of 'probably' is clearly a hypothetical stance and precisely the reason why A should not be the answer as we need 'would instead of will. B should be the correct answer.

You are probably taking "uncertain" situations for "hypothetical" situations. "Hypothetical" means "imaginary" or "unreal". We use "would" for "unreal" or "imaginary" situations.

The word "probably" implies an "uncertain" situation, not an "unreal" or "imaginary" (or "hypothetical") situation. Therefore "probably will" is alright.

Another example: The first sentence of this post is "You are probably taking". I am expressing something with which I am uncertain, not something "imaginary". Therfore I have used a present continuous tense since the action is happening at this moment - If I wanted to express a future event, I would use "You will probably take".

Now look at my last sentence, I used hypothetical " I would use" - why?.. because I am expressing an unreal event. I will not express a future event - the effect of an unlikely event is also hypothetical - an imaginary or unreal situation; therefore I used "would" in my last sentence.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, International Business

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2016, 07:20
B.has not been allowed to drive and probably never will be allowed to drive. has independent clause before and after AND.
Independent clause is not present before AND, hence A, C, D and E are incorrect. Is my reasoning correct?
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.44

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2016, 23:15
prashantbacchewar wrote:

We know that its between A and B

C says- has not and probably never would be allowed to drive.=has not be allowed to drive + never would be allowed to drive---1st break is awkward.
D has the same break and the same error as C
E has same error as C

A is wrong because of redundancy---has not been and probably never would be allowed to drive-- you are probable here and also you used would here ->probable and would will not go together.
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2016, 09:41
lotrgandalf wrote:
B.has not been allowed to drive and probably never will be allowed to drive. has independent clause before and after AND.
Independent clause is not present before AND, hence A, C, D and E are incorrect. Is my reasoning correct?

One does not always require an independent clause before "and". In this example "and" connects two verbs (and not two independent clauses); hence it does not require an independent clause before it. (I sing and play...correct - two verbs are joined... no independent clause before "and")
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GPA: 3.8

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2018, 11:46
For example: The investors are expecting that the market would improve in the next couple of days.
This is not imaginary situation but still it is OK to use would! sayantanc2k
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Due to the fact that Greg wrecked his family's station wagon &nbs [#permalink] 30 Oct 2018, 11:46

Due to the fact that Greg wrecked his family's station wagon

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap