GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jul 2018, 14:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

During the nineteenth century, occupational information about women th

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
During the nineteenth century, occupational information about women th [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 01 Oct 2017, 07:30
Question 1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

79% (01:00) correct 21% (01:02) wrong based on 608

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 2
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

87% (00:26) correct 13% (00:34) wrong based on 587

Question 3
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

34% (00:30) correct 66% (00:34) wrong based on 561

Question 4
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

74% (00:27) correct 26% (00:23) wrong based on 559

Question 5
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

72% (00:49) correct 28% (00:46) wrong based on 546

The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 11th Edition, 2005

Practice Question
Question No.: RC 16 ~ 20
Page: 352

During the nineteenth century, occupational information about women that was provided by the United States census—a population count conducted each decade—became more detailed and precise in response to social changes. Through 1840, simple enumeration by household mirrored a home-based agricultural economy and hierarchical social order: the head of the household (presumed male or absent) was specified by name, whereas other household members were only indicated by the total number of persons counted in various categories, including occupational categories. Like farms, most enterprises were family-run, so that the census measured economic activity as an attribute of the entire household, rather than of individuals.

The 1850 census, partly responding to antislavery and women's rights movements, initiated the collection of specific information about each individual in a household. Not until 1870 was occupational information analyzed by gender: the census superintendent reported 1.8 million women employed outside the home in "gainful and reputable occupations." In addition, he arbitrarily attributed to each family one woman "keeping house." Overlap between the two groups was not calculated until 1890, when the rapid entry of women into the paid labor force and social issues arising from industrialization were causing women's advocates and women statisticians to press for more thorough and accurate accounting of women's occupations and wages.
The primary purpose of the passage is to

(A) explain and critique the methods used by early statisticians
(B) compare and contrast a historical situation with a current-day one
(C) describe and explain a historical change
(D) discuss historical opposition to an established institution
(E) trace the origin of a contemporary controversy

Each of the following aspects of nineteenth-century United States censuses is mentioned in the passage EXCEPT the

(A) year in which data on occupations began to be analyzed by gender
(B) year in which specific information began to be collected on individuals in addition to the head of the household
(C) year in which overlap between women employed outside the home and women keeping house was first calculated
(D) way in which the 1890 census measured women’s income levels and educational backgrounds
(E) way in which household members were counted in the 1840 census

It can be inferred from the passage that the 1840 United States census provided a count of which of the following?

(A) Women who worked exclusively in the home
(B) People engaged in nonfarming occupations
(C) People engaged in social movements
(D) Women engaged in family-run enterprises
(E) Men engaged in agriculture

The author uses the adjective “simple” in line 5 most probably to emphasize that the

(A) collection of census information became progressively more difficult throughout the nineteenth-century
(B) technology for tabulating census information was rudimentary during the first half of the nineteenth century
(C) home-based agricultural economy of the early nineteenth century was easier to analyze than the later industrial economy
(D) economic role of women was better defined in the early nineteenth century than in the late nineteenth century
(E) information collected by early-nineteen-century censuses was limited in its amount of detail

The passage suggests which of the following about the “women’s advocates and women statisticians” mentioned in lines 27-28?

(A) They wanted to call attention to the lack of pay for women who worked in the home.
(B) They believed that previous census information was inadequate and did not reflect certain economic changes in the United States.
(C) They had begun to press for changes in census-taking methods as part of their participation in the antislavery movement.
(D) They thought that census statistics about women would be more accurate if more women were employed as census officials.
(E) They had conducted independent studies that disputed the official statistics provided by previous United States censuses.

I chose the answer A, but OA is C. I chose A because I think the word "critique" does not only mean to criticize, it also means to evaluate. And I did not choose C, because I there are several changes in the text not one. Would like to hear what you think?

If my post was helpful, press Kudos. If not, then just press Kudos !!!

Originally posted by Ergenekon on 15 Feb 2015, 07:02.
Last edited by hazelnut on 01 Oct 2017, 07:30, edited 4 times in total.
highlighted text for last 2 questions
Most Helpful Community Reply
5 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q51 V27
GMAT 3: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 4: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 5: 760 Q50 V42
Reviews Badge
Re: During the nineteenth century, occupational information about women th [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2015, 19:45
Lucky2783 wrote:
It can be inferred from the passage that the 1840 United States census provided a count of which of the following?

(E) Men engaged in agriculture.

How come B , could someone please explain .
i see E as a clear winner .
no ?

I am happy to give my 2 cents on this question. At first I also marked E as the correct answer, but researching more on the 1st paragraph, I found B is the correct answer.

Note that the paragraph says the head of the household (usually male) was specified byname, and other members were indicated by total number of persons counted in occupational categories. Therefore, we could infer 2 points:

- We don't know the total number of men (or women), just the name of the head of household; -> E is incorrect.
- We do know the total number of people in occupational categories (farming, non-farming, etc.) -> B is correct.

Please feel free to correct me!
General Discussion
3 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
P
Re: During the nineteenth century, occupational information about women th [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2015, 11:23

There is NOTHING that critique the method used for the census. Infact, there is a chronological excursus from X to Y, from a date throughout an evollution to another date. In othe words: a chronological history

No comparison

Right choice. Look , for instance, at the first phrase of the second paragraph : The 1850 census, partly responding to antislavery and women’s rights movements, initiated the collection of specific information about each individual in a household. Not until 1870 was occupational information analyzed by gender . A clearly indication of a change. Chronologically

No opposition

No clues about this controversy

Hope this helps

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2015, 03:21
carcass wrote:

There is NOTHING that critique the method used for the census. Infact, there is a chronological excursus from X to Y, from a date throughout an evollution to another date. In othe words: a chronological history

No comparison

Right choice. Look , for instance, at the first phrase of the second paragraph : The 1850 census, partly responding to antislavery and women’s rights movements, initiated the collection of specific information about each individual in a household. Not until 1870 was occupational information analyzed by gender . A clearly indication of a change. Chronologically

No opposition

No clues about this controversy

Hope this helps

Thanks for your reply. However, are you sure that the word "critique" can be used only as "criticism"? Because "critique" has another meaning to - evaluation, review etc. And I have encountered such question, which I cannot find now, where that word was used as "review".
And I did not like C because there wasn't one change, but several changes. However, it says : a historical change

Board of Directors
P

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2015, 05:20
I think that hystorical change they means: the scenario, the whole changes. In this regard, it is not wrong.

Moreover critique means suggesting alternative pathways not necessarily is something that countercat in its entirely a fact. It can agree to a certain point.

Last but not least: it is an official problem, so they set the rules. There is nothing to spend over

regards

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2015, 07:31
Ergenekon wrote:
Answers are provided. It seems you made a few mistakes.

Though I feel like stupid for asking this but I am unable to find the answers. Can you direct me to them, I'd like to check where I made mistakes.
Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2015, 07:33
Do you see the "[Reveal] Spoiler:" under every question? Push "Reveal" and it will show the answer. Feel free to ask, if you have any questions.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2015, 08:18
Ergenekon wrote:
Do you see the "[Reveal] Spoiler:" under every question? Push "Reveal" and it will show the answer. Feel free to ask, if you have any questions.

Thanks a lot I appreciate the help. Can you please also give the explanations for the two questions i got wrong
Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2015, 09:51

no ?

Thanks,
Lucky

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2015, 21:59
carcass:
Ergenekon:
Can you please explain Answers for Question 3 and Question 5.
For Question 3 E seems to be more appropriate than the answer , and in Question 5 how to elimintate option D , as the answer B is also not mentioned in the passage, it is something we are assuming.So how to do that process??

It will be helpful if you provide with some insight on this.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Schools: HBS '19 (S)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2015, 06:33
Lucky2783 wrote:

no ?

I agree ... the whole point of 1840 census was to count head of household (man or absent) not people in general
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2015, 13:34
roopika2990 wrote:
Lucky2783 wrote:

no ?

I agree ... the whole point of 1840 census was to count head of household (man or absent) not people in general

This is an inference question. It means , the answer MUST BE TRUE according to the passage. The second paragraph says that they started gender specific census after 1840. So option E (which mentions "men " is ruled out. Although in 1840 the census mentioned that majority of people worked in a farming activity. This means the census has information on people involved in non farming activity.

I am unable to highlight the specific portion of the passage to explain in a better way. Still, hope you understood the message.
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2015, 11:51
tronghieu1987 wrote:
Lucky2783 wrote:

no ?

I am happy to give my 2 cents on this question. At first I also marked E as the correct answer, but researching more on the 1st paragraph, I found B is the correct answer.

Note that the paragraph says the head of the household (usually male) was specified byname, and other members were indicated by total number of persons counted in occupational categories. Therefore, we could infer 2 points:

- We don't know the total number of men (or women), just the name of the head of household; -> E is incorrect.
- We do know the total number of people in occupational categories (farming, non-farming, etc.) -> B is correct.

Please feel free to correct me!

-------------------------------------------
I also chose E at first. But after reading your explanation, I got it.
I guess the consensus probably looked like below:

Farming: 10,000 Households -- lists by names i.e. McDonald's, etc etc
Non-farming: Smiths (1 work in Factory), 4 dependent( 2 work in textile industry, 2 stay home)

I can see how B is correct.
Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2016, 06:27
Interesting passage . Took 7 mins 50 seconds , including 2 mins to read the passage .
- The author talks about a census taking method in the 1840’s
- He then goes on to describe the changes in the method

1. I was successfully able to narrow down to A and C , but was not sure about the final answer
(A) Incorrect – The author of the passage does not state any opinion. A Critique is an opinion. Hence Incorrect.
(C) Correct

2. D – The passage merely states that the 1890’s census measured women’s income levels and educational backgrounds. But, there is no mention of the way in which this was done.

3.B- People engaged in non farming occupations

4. E - information collected by early-nineteen-century censuses was limited in its amount of detail

5. This is more of an inference question and the answer to it lies in the interpretation of Paragraph 2
End of second paragraph talk about Women’s Advocates pressing for more thorough and accurate counting of women’s occupations and wages. This goes to say that the previous census information did not provide an adequate reflection of the economic changes in the United States.
Hence – Option (B).

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2016, 03:12
Q3 - I will help here in understanding why option B is a correct inference about counting in 1840.

Excerpt to be focused -
Through 1840, simple enumeration by household mirrored a home-based agricultural economy and hierarchical social order: the head of the household (presumed male or absent) was specified by name, whereas other household members were only indicated by the total number of persons counted in various categories, including occupational categories.

well , It says that the other members(other than the head(male)) of a household were also counted in various categories , including occupational categories (farming/non-farming)
The only reason why male (head of the household) is mentioned is to specify the name (of the Household).

Eg - Johnson's (total members - 5 , 2 working as farmers , 1 work somewhere else, etc.)

I hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2018, 00:19
Good short passage. Got question 3 as incorrect although i understand my mistake now, thanks to some very good explanations given here.
Director
Director
P
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2018, 02:46
P1 - US census report for women occupations. 1840, how it works?
P2 - 1850 change in census; 1870 1.8 mil women employed ; 1890 industrialization; new occupations and wages.

Main idea - Evolution of census report wrt women occupations.

1. The primary purpose of the passage is to

(A) explain and critique the methods used by early statisticians --- no critique
(B) compare and contrast a historical situation with a current-day one --- no compare
(C) describe and explain a historical change --- right on track.
(D) discuss historical opposition to an established institution --- miles away from reality.
(E) trace the origin of a contemporary controversy --- no controversy

2. Each of the following aspects of nineteenth-century United States censuses is mentioned in the passage EXCEPT the

(A) year in which data on occupations began to be analyzed by gender - 1870
(B) year in which specific information began to be collected on individuals in addition to the head of the household - 1840
(C) year in which overlap between women employed outside the home and women keeping house was first calculated - 1870
(D) way in which the 1890 census measured women’s income levels and educational backgrounds - answer.
(E) way in which household members were counted in the 1840 census - P1

3. It can be inferred from the passage that the 1840 United States census provided a count of which of the following?
Pre-thinking - report give name of head of family + total number of persons counted in various categories

(A) Women who worked exclusively in the home - no
(B) People engaged in nonfarming occupations - yes, correct.
(C) People engaged in social movements - not even mentioned.
(D) Women engaged in family-run enterprises - not exclusively mentioned
(E) Men engaged in agriculture - not exclusively mentioned, but head is named others are in count colum.

4. The author uses the adjective “simple” in line 5 most probably to emphasize that the
just number is collected for rest of the people and nothing more. so format was very simple. Only E is describing it correctly.

(E) information collected by early-nineteen-century censuses was limited in its amount of detail

5. The passage suggests which of the following about the “women’s advocates and women statisticians” mentioned in lines 27-28?

lines to look for - when the rapid entry of women into the paid labor force and social issues arising from industrialization were causing women's advocates and women statisticians to press for more thorough and accurate accounting of women's occupations and wages.

(B) They believed that previous census information was inadequate and did not reflect certain economic changes in the United States.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Best Gmat Resource:
GmatPrep CR|GmatPrep SC|GmatPrep RC

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2018, 12:22
TOOK ME 10 MINS

IS IT ACCEPTABLE?

PLUS I DID 1 WRONG
Re: During the nineteenth century, occupational information about women th   [#permalink] 30 Jun 2018, 12:22

During the nineteenth century, occupational information about women th

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap