Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:36 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [22]
Given Kudos: 59
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [3]
Given Kudos: 500
Re: During winters to stop the spread of flu virus, Ayurveda [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
anumnit90 wrote:
Hi Guys,
I think there is some problem with the OA, i.e. option C. As far as I know, 'which' doesn't modify the clause and in this option I think, 'which' is not used correctly. Please correct me if I am wrong!!

Thanks in advance,
Anurag

Hello, Anurag. You are correct in saying that a which clause is not used to modify a preceding clause; however, which can reach across a prepositional phrase to modify that noun. It is debatable in (C) whether which refers to eucalyptus oil or the nose, since it could be used to replace either. You might find this e-GMAT article useful on the subject of noun modifiers and the so-called "touch rule."

Happy reading.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
In option C which is a relative pronoun so modifies nose not the entire clause right?

Posted from my mobile device
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
Saiharish98 wrote:
In option C which is a relative pronoun so modifies nose not the entire clause right?

Posted from my mobile device

The problem with the nose interpretation, Saiharish98, is that the sentence would then be saying that the nose itself acted as a growth inhibitor, and that would not make sense. Again (from my earlier post), which cannot be used to modify an entire clause. To be honest, I would prefer a hybrid answer that combined correct elements of (B) and (C) in a clear and unambiguous way--note the effect of the comma after inhibitor:

During winters to stop the spread of flu virus, Ayurveda suggests drinking warm water and applying eucalyptus oil, which acts as a growth inhibitor, on the nose, allowing the body time to build antibodies to fight the virus.

With that said, you can only go by what is on the screen. If you find yourself in a 50/50 situation, then see which answer presents options that are easier to argue against. Get rid of that answer and choose the other.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 368 [3]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
WE:Operations (Retail)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
anumnit90 wrote:
Hi Guys,
I think there is some problem with the OA, i.e. option C. As far as I know, 'which' doesn't modify the clause and in this option I think, 'which' is not used correctly. Please correct me if I am wrong!!

Thanks in advance,
Anurag

Hi anumnit90
I would like to help here, you are absolutely right "which" does not modify a clause. Refer sentence below
During winters to stop the spread of flu virus, Ayurveda suggests drinking warm water and applying eucalyptus oil on the nose, which acts as a growth inhibitor, allowing the body time to build antibodies to fight the virus

Rules for "which"
1. It modifies the closest noun
2. Ideally which should be followed by a comma

There is one Exception rule as well for Relative modifiers
Sentence - Noun + Additional Information + Relative Modifier
Now if the Additional information about Noun
a. Can't be moved elsewhere in the sentence
b. Its placement does not result in ambiguity in meaning
Then, the use of Additional info. between Noun and Relative Modifier(in this case "which") is permitted
Hence, the use of "which" is correct here.

Hope, I am able to solve the query. Refer the link in my signature for more details on SC
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.58
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Although i marked the correct answer, the usage of which to modify a slightly far away noun confused me. As a principle it is always good to remember that if you can reword the sentence and remove the prepositional phrase after the modified noun, then the usage of which "may" be incorrect.

If you can't, "which" can jump over and modify the slightly far away noun.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [0]
Given Kudos: 372
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
Send PM
carma19 wrote:
During winters to stop the spread of flu virus, Ayurveda suggests drinking warm water and to apply eucalyptus oil on the nose, which acts like a growth inhibitor, allowing the body time to build antibodies to fight the virus.

(A) to apply eucalyptus oil on the nose, which acts like a growth inhibitor, allowing the body time to build antibodies to fight the virus
(B) applying eucalyptus oil, which acts as a growth inhibitor on the nose, allowing the body time to build antibodies and to fight the virus
(C) applying eucalyptus oil on the nose, which acts as a growth inhibitor, allowing the body time to build antibodies to fight the virus
(D) to apply eucalyptus oil on the nose, which acting like a growth inhibitor allows the body time to build antibodies to fight the virus
(E) applying eucalyptus oil on the nose, which acting like a growth inhibitor allowing the body time for building antibodies fighting the virus

Incorrect use of which. Nose doesn't work as an inhibitor. C is incorrect.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [2]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
While it's true that the GMAT sometimes allows some interesting exceptions to the "touch rule" for noun modifiers, this is not an official GMAT problem and I would not follow its lead. There are a number of questionable constructions here, starting with "During winters to stop the spread." On official GMAT questions, we have to accept that one answer is right, so we choose what's best. We don't have the same certainty with unofficial questions (including a few of ours over the years!), so when we see this kind of trouble we may just want to decide to scrap the question, and that's what I'd advise here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 1297
Concentration: International Business, Economics
GPA: 3
WE:Law (Telecommunications)
Send PM
aggvipul wrote:
anumnit90 wrote:
Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance,
Anurag

Hi anumnit90
I would like to help here, you are absolutely right "which" does not modify a clause. Refer sentence below
During winters to stop the spread of flu virus, Ayurveda suggests drinking warm water and applying eucalyptus oil on the nose, which acts as a growth inhibitor, allowing the body time to build antibodies to fight the virus

Rules for "which"
1. It modifies the closest noun
2. Ideally which should be followed by a comma

There is one Exception rule as well for Relative modifiers
Sentence - Noun + Additional Information + Relative Modifier
Now if the Additional information about Noun
a. Can't be moved elsewhere in the sentence
b. Its placement does not result in ambiguity in meaning
Then, the use of Additional info. between Noun and Relative Modifier(in this case "which") is permitted
Hence, the use of "which" is correct here.

Hope, I am able to solve the query. Refer the link in my signature for more details on SC

Then how do we Identify the exception in real life gmat test?

I mean to ask is, is there a way to identify the exception or can you provide more question with which involved in them?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts