It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 09:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

E, F, G, and H are the vertices of a polygon. Is polygon EFGH a square

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Aug 2010
Posts: 42

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 2

E, F, G, and H are the vertices of a polygon. Is polygon EFGH a square [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2010, 13:18
13
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

59% (00:26) correct 41% (00:23) wrong based on 463 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

E, F, G, and H are the vertices of a polygon. Is polygon EFGH a square?

(1) EFGH is a parallelogram.

(2) The diagonals of EFGH are perpendicular bisectors of one another.



[Reveal] Spoiler:
I answered B to this question.

Statement 1 is to broad. A parallelogram can be several things

Statement 2 correctly identifies this polygon as a rhombus. If this polygon is a rhombus then it IS NOT a square. By identifying the polygon as a rhombus doesn't this prove that the polygon EFGH IS NOT a square?

I am providing the official answer. Please help!
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 2

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 42248

Kudos [?]: 132696 [2], given: 12335

Re: E, F, G, and H are the vertices of a polygon. Is polygon EFGH a square [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2010, 13:32
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
4
This post was
BOOKMARKED
jscott319 wrote:
E, F, G, and H are the vertices of a polygon. Is polygon EFGH a square?

(1) EFGH is a parallelogram.

(2) The diagonals of EFGH are perpendicular bisectors of one another.

I answered B to this question.

Statement 1 is to broad. A parallelogram can be several things

Statement 2 correctly identifies this polygon as a rhombus. If this polygon is a rhombus then it IS NOT a square. By identifying the polygon as a rhombus doesn't this prove that the polygon EFGH IS NOT a square?

I am providing the official answer. Please help!


Rhombus is a quadrilateral with all four sides equal in length. So, all squares are rhombuses but not vise-versa.

(1) EFGH is a parallelogram --> all squares are parallelograms but not vise-versa. Not sufficient.

(2) The diagonals of EFGH are perpendicular bisectors of one another --> EFGH is a rhombus --> all squares are rhombuses but not vise-versa. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) EFGH is a rhombus (all rhombus are parallelogram). Again all squares are rhombuses but not vise-versa. Not sufficient.

Answer: E.

For more on this topic check Polygons chapter of Math Book: math-polygons-87336.html

Hope it helps.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 132696 [2], given: 12335

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Aug 2010
Posts: 42

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 2

Re: E, F, G, and H are the vertices of a polygon. Is polygon EFGH a square [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2010, 13:41
Isnt a square BOTH a Rhombus and a Rectangle? I though it can not separately be one or the other?

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 2

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 42248

Kudos [?]: 132696 [1], given: 12335

Re: E, F, G, and H are the vertices of a polygon. Is polygon EFGH a square [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2010, 13:43
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post

Kudos [?]: 132696 [1], given: 12335

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Dec 2011
Posts: 295

Kudos [?]: 298 [0], given: 32

Re: E, F, G, and H are the vertices of a polygon. Is polygon EFGH a square [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2012, 03:34
Bunuel wrote:
(2) The diagonals of EFGH are perpendicular bisectors of one another --> EFGH is a rhombus --> all squares are rhombuses but not vise-versa. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) EFGH is a rhombus (all rhombus are parallelogram). Again all squares are rhombuses but not vise-versa. Not sufficient.



Bunuel - One doubt,
If the diagonals of EFGH are perpendicular bisectors of one another then the 2 diagonals are of the same measure right? then it could be rectangle also because diagonals of rectangle are equal and bisect each other.....

Cheers

Kudos [?]: 298 [0], given: 32

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 42248

Kudos [?]: 132696 [0], given: 12335

Re: E, F, G, and H are the vertices of a polygon. Is polygon EFGH a square [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2012, 05:59
Jp27 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
(2) The diagonals of EFGH are perpendicular bisectors of one another --> EFGH is a rhombus --> all squares are rhombuses but not vise-versa. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) EFGH is a rhombus (all rhombus are parallelogram). Again all squares are rhombuses but not vise-versa. Not sufficient.



Bunuel - One doubt,
If the diagonals of EFGH are perpendicular bisectors of one another then the 2 diagonals are of the same measure right? then it could be rectangle also because diagonals of rectangle are equal and bisect each other.....

Cheers


The diagonals of EFGH are perpendicular bisectors of one another, means that the diagonals cut one another into two equal parts at 90°. If a rectangle is not a square, then its diagonals do not cut each other at 90°.

Hope it's clear.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 132696 [0], given: 12335

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Dec 2011
Posts: 295

Kudos [?]: 298 [0], given: 32

Re: E, F, G, and H are the vertices of a polygon. Is polygon EFGH a square [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2012, 06:16
Bunuel wrote:
Jp27 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
(2) The diagonals of EFGH are perpendicular bisectors of one another --> EFGH is a rhombus --> all squares are rhombuses but not vise-versa. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) EFGH is a rhombus (all rhombus are parallelogram). Again all squares are rhombuses but not vise-versa. Not sufficient.



Bunuel - One doubt,
If the diagonals of EFGH are perpendicular bisectors of one another then the 2 diagonals are of the same measure right? then it could be rectangle also because diagonals of rectangle are equal and bisect each other.....

Cheers


The diagonals of EFGH are perpendicular bisectors of one another, means that the diagonals cut one another into two equal parts at 90°. If a rectangle is not a square, then its diagonals do not cut each other at 90°.

Hope it's clear.


yes Bunuel totally clear! many thanks for all your responses.

Kudos [?]: 298 [0], given: 32

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 May 2015
Posts: 30

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 268

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: E, F, G, and H are the vertices of a polygon. Is polygon EFGH a square [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2015, 23:07
Bunuel wrote:

Rhombus is a quadrilateral with all four sides equal in length. So, all squares are rhombuses but not vise-versa.

(1) EFGH is a parallelogram --> all squares are parallelograms but not vise-versa. Not sufficient.

(2) The diagonals of EFGH are perpendicular bisectors of one another --> EFGH is a rhombus --> all squares are rhombuses but not vise-versa. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) EFGH is a rhombus (all rhombus are parallelogram). Again all squares are rhombuses but not vise-versa. Not sufficient.

Answer: E.

For more on this topic check Polygons chapter of Math Book: math-polygons-87336.html

Hope it helps.


Hi Bunuel,

In 2, the diagonals are perpendicular bisectors could happen for a rhombus as well as a square right? Is that why we're saying it's Insufficient? As far as I know,diagonals are perpendicular bisectors of each other for square ,rhombus and even rectangles.Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 268

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 42248

Kudos [?]: 132696 [1], given: 12335

Re: E, F, G, and H are the vertices of a polygon. Is polygon EFGH a square [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2015, 00:52
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
davesinger786 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Rhombus is a quadrilateral with all four sides equal in length. So, all squares are rhombuses but not vise-versa.

(1) EFGH is a parallelogram --> all squares are parallelograms but not vise-versa. Not sufficient.

(2) The diagonals of EFGH are perpendicular bisectors of one another --> EFGH is a rhombus --> all squares are rhombuses but not vise-versa. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) EFGH is a rhombus (all rhombus are parallelogram). Again all squares are rhombuses but not vise-versa. Not sufficient.

Answer: E.

For more on this topic check Polygons chapter of Math Book: math-polygons-87336.html

Hope it helps.


Hi Bunuel,

In 2, the diagonals are perpendicular bisectors could happen for a rhombus as well as a square right? Is that why we're saying it's Insufficient? As far as I know,diagonals are perpendicular bisectors of each other for square ,rhombus and even rectangles.Please correct me if I'm wrong.


From (2) the figure can be a square or rhombus, yes.

Diagonals of a rectangle are bisectors of each other but not perpendicular to each other, unless of course it's a square.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 132696 [1], given: 12335

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 May 2015
Posts: 30

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 268

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: E, F, G, and H are the vertices of a polygon. Is polygon EFGH a square [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2015, 00:57
Oh ,right.My bad.It can't be a rectangle.Thanks for your explanation.Kudos

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 268

Director
Director
User avatar
G
Joined: 26 Oct 2016
Posts: 690

Kudos [?]: 227 [0], given: 855

Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)
Re: E, F, G, and H are the vertices of a polygon. Is polygon EFGH a square [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2016, 02:50
To prove that a quadrilateral is a square, you must prove that it is both a rhombus (all sides are equal) and a rectangle (all angles are equal).

(1) INSUFFICIENT: Not all parallelograms are squares (however all squares are parallelograms).

(2) INSUFFICIENT: If a quadrilateral has diagonals that are perpendicular bisectors of one another, that quadrilateral is a rhombus. Not all rhombuses are squares (however all squares are rhombuses).

If we look at the two statements together, they are still insufficient. Statement (2) tells us that ABCD is a rhombus, so statement one adds no more information (all rhombuses are parallelograms). To prove that a rhombus is a square, you need to know that one of its angles is a right angle or that its diagonals are equal (i.e. that it is also a rectangle).

The correct answer is E
_________________

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Kudos [?]: 227 [0], given: 855

Director
Director
avatar
S
Joined: 12 Nov 2016
Posts: 794

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 165

Re: E, F, G, and H are the vertices of a polygon. Is polygon EFGH a square [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2017, 19:33
jscott319 wrote:
E, F, G, and H are the vertices of a polygon. Is polygon EFGH a square?

(1) EFGH is a parallelogram.

(2) The diagonals of EFGH are perpendicular bisectors of one another.



[Reveal] Spoiler:
I answered B to this question.

Statement 1 is to broad. A parallelogram can be several things

Statement 2 correctly identifies this polygon as a rhombus. If this polygon is a rhombus then it IS NOT a square. By identifying the polygon as a rhombus doesn't this prove that the polygon EFGH IS NOT a square?

I am providing the official answer. Please help!


The GMAT uses the more controversial definition of a rhombus; in other words, all squares are technically rhombuses.

Statement 1

No because we could have a standard rectangle, rhombus or kite.

Statement 2

Too broad because we could have a rhombus- but not all rhombuses are squares; however, all squares are rhombuses.

Statement 1 and 2

The most that we can infer is that this shape is a rhombus- but we cannot exact any further details

E

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 165

Re: E, F, G, and H are the vertices of a polygon. Is polygon EFGH a square   [#permalink] 06 Sep 2017, 19:33
Display posts from previous: Sort by

E, F, G, and H are the vertices of a polygon. Is polygon EFGH a square

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.