Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:59 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [37]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [15]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [10]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 328 [3]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Re: Each week, the Department of Defense sends food packages [#permalink]
Kudos
+1 E

Three of the packages didn't contain granola bars and water, so they were not sent on Friday. Also, there were not shipments on Saturday and Sunday.

Therefore, the other three shipments were sent before friday.

E :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
What is the use of these kind of questions?

It is almost an EXACT copy of an official question!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [2]
Given Kudos: 401
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: EMLYON FT'16
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
Kudos
OMG, this is a tricky question!

The main idea here is that the Covert Location #1 DID NOT ONLY RECEIVE PACKAGE ON MONDAY AND FRIDAY!

they could have received packages on thursday for example!

Which makes E totally logical!

Really tricky one here!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Dear,
So, this question is based on the assumption that packages could be sent between monday and friday?
The stimulus states that "Each week, the Department of Defense sends food packages to its Navy Seals training in a covert operation" and this automatically makes me think that they send once a week.
For native english speakers, would they understand that multiple shipments could happen with this statement?

Thanks
Regards
Andy
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 912 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
andy2whang wrote:
Dear,
So, this question is based on the assumption that packages could be sent between monday and friday?
The stimulus states that "Each week, the Department of Defense sends food packages to its Navy Seals training in a covert operation" and this automatically makes me think that they send once a week.
For native english speakers, would they understand that multiple shipments could happen with this statement?

Thanks
Regards
Andy

ya, I think the packages could be sent on any day between Monday to Friday (not on Saturday and Sunday - clearly mentioned)
i.e. they can be sent on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday also

and by using this approach we can easily reach to the answer E

Kudos if you like explanation
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2754 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Each week, the Department of Defense sends food packages [#permalink]
National Defense Coordinator:

Each week, the Department of Defense sends food packages to its Navy Seals training in a covert operation.

The ten specially ordered shipments sent out last week were sent out on Monday.
Last week, all of the shipments that were sent out on Friday consisted entirely of granola bars and water.

On Saturday and Sunday, no shipments were sent.

Six shipments were sent to Navy Seals training in Covert Location #1, only three of which consisted of granola bars and water.

If the shipping clerk's statements are true, which of the following must also be true?

(A) At least one of the shipments sent to Covert Location #1 last week was specially ordered.
The ten specially ordered shipments sent out last week were sent out on Monday in covert operation. but we are not sure whether they are sent to location 1.

(B) At least one of last week's specially ordered shipments did not consist of granola bars and water.
we re not sure what specially ordered shipments contained. We cant assure either they did or did not consist granola bars.

(C) At least one of the shipments sent to Covert Location #1 was not sent out on Monday of last week.
(we know that 10 special shipments are sent on Monday although we are not sure that they are sent to location 1, we cant deny the possibility as well and
only 3 of shipments in location 1 are granola bars & water we are not sure about other three and those may be one of the 10 special shipments sent on Monday. Hence we cannot infer this option.)

(D) At least one of the shipments that were sent out on Friday of last week was sent to Covert Location #1
(We know that Friday shipments consisted of only granola bars but we cannot deny that they were not sent on other days from Mon-Thu and it is possible that 3 granola bars & water shipments may have been sent from Mon-Thu and hence we cannot infer this option.)

(E) At least one of the shipments sent to Covert Location #1 last week was sent out before Friday.
On Friday all the shipments are of Granola bars & water and we have only 3 shipments of the same on Covert location #1.
3 more other shipments whatever they might consist of either special ordered or something else must come before Friday.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Schools: NUS '20
Send PM
One doubt I had here: There is no mention that the packages sent on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday cannot contain Granola bars and water. Given this, how can we still conclude that E is an answer?

Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2754 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
rsaahil90 wrote:
One doubt I had here: There is no mention that the packages sent on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday cannot contain Granola bars and water. Given this, how can we still conclude that E is an answer?

On Friday all the shipments are of Granola bars & water

Covert location #1
    we have only 6 shipments in total
    only 3 of the them are of granola bars & water
    3 more other shipments whatever they might consist of either special ordered or something else must come before Friday.

you are right that it is not mentioned whether packages sent on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday can or cannot contain Granola bars and water.
but
it is definitely not on
    Friday(since on Friday all the shipments are of Granola bars & water )
    Saturday and Sunday as mentioned in the argument.

so we have to or can infer that the other 3 must have arrived on Mon-Thu anytime.
I hope this helps :( .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Hi,

Have this question:

When the days mentioned in the argument are Mon, Fri, Sat and Sun can we make assumptions about other days?
For Inference type of questions aren't we supposed to stick with the info provided in the argument and not think out of it?
I feel considering other days would be Out of scope.
A little help in understanding this Pls.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 669
Send PM
Hello
I don't understand why B is wrong?
Let's say only 2 shipments were sent out on Friday, which consisted of only granola bars and water, then 1 shipment is remaining. There is a possibility that this remaining shipment is sent on Monday. So Out of 10, 9 specially ordered shipments sent on Monday will not consist of Granola Bars and water. Wouldn't that make Option B correct?
Or is it that Specially Ordered shipments are a different set from "Granola Bars and Water" shipment? Even if that were true, wouldn't B still hold?
Or is it that Specially Ordered shipments weren't sent to Covert Location #1 at all?
Thanks and Regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [0]
Given Kudos: 160
GPA: 3.9
WE:Account Management (Other)
Send PM
GMATPill wrote:
National Defense Coordinator:

Each week, the Department of Defense sends food packages to its Navy Seals training in a covert operation. The ten specially ordered shipments sent out last week were sent out on Monday. Last week, all of the shipments that were sent out on Friday consisted entirely of granola bars and water. On Saturday and Sunday, no shipments were sent. Six shipments were sent to Navy Seals training in Covert Location #1, only three of which consisted of granola bars and water.

If the shipping clerk's statements are true, which of the following must also be true?

(A) At least one of the shipments sent to Covert Location #1 last week was specially ordered.- not clear from the passage

(B) At least one of last week's specially ordered shipments did not consist of granola bars and water.— not mentioned, some of them could have contained a portion of it.

(C) At least one of the shipments sent to Covert Location #1 was not sent out on Monday of last week.— not clear from the passage

(D) At least one of the shipments that were sent out on Friday of last week was sent to Covert Location #1– if the premise contained that either of the ships contained only granolas and water, this would have been correct. But still hold it.

(E) At least one of the shipments sent to Covert Location #1 last week was sent out before Friday.— this could be inferred. They did get at least 1 shipment before Friday. Bingo

Original Source: Practice Pill Platform

Dept. sends food packages to seals on training every week.
Special shipment — Monday
Only granolas and water shipment — Friday
Covert location 1 got 6 shipments. 3 out of six had granolas and water. Here, “entirely” is not mentioned. It might play a role while POE
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
GRE 1: Q170 V161

GRE 2: Q170 V161
GPA: 4
Send PM
B is also a correct option, since 3 didn't have granola so they were sent on Monday which implies option B

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
(A) At least one of the shipments sent to Covert Location #1 last week was specially ordered.
We are not in aposition to determine the same

(B) At least one of last week's specially ordered shipments did not consist of granola bars and water.
We do not scufficient information to determine the same

(C) At least one of the shipments sent to Covert Location #1 was not sent out on Monday of last week.
Maybe this a possiblity we canoot rule this out entirely

(D) At least one of the shipments that were sent out on Friday of last week was sent to Covert Location #1
This also a possiblity we are not in aposition to determine

(E) At least one of the shipments sent to Covert Location #1 last week was sent out before Friday
if the supplies are running out then it's a possiblity the same can happen
Hence IMO E
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts