Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:06 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35486 [10]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35486 [4]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [1]
Given Kudos: 298
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [1]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Economist George Akerlof has argued that procrastination reveals the l [#permalink]
Kudos
My answer is (E). It took me 45 seconds.

(A) "overeating" (gerund), "to save money" (infinitive), and "the purchasing of automobiles" (gerund) are not parallel.
(B) "overeating" (gerund), "to save money" (infinitive), and "to purchase automobiles"(infinitive) are not parallel.
(C) "Like" cannot be used to introduce examples.
(D) "to overeat" (infinitive), "to save money" (infinitive), and "the purchase of automobiles" (noun) are not parallel.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [1]
Given Kudos: 811
GMAT 1: 590 Q44 V27
GMAT 2: 600 Q46 V27
GMAT 3: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: Economist George Akerlof has argued that procrastination reveals the l [#permalink]
Kudos
Meaning:
1.Procrastination can teach useful lessons about phenomena
2. Then,economist has given examples of phenomenon. They are overeating, saving money and purchasing automobiles.

POE:

phenomena as diverse as overeating, to save money, and the purchasing of automobiles
Incorrect .

'Overating,to save..and the purchasing' is not parallel

B) phenomena as diverse as overeating, to save money, and to purchase automobiles Incorrect

Meaning changed:
Economist...has argued that.., to save money and to purchase

C) diverse phenomena like overeating, the saving of money, and the purchasing of automobiles Incorrect

Such..as is used for showing examples.

D) diverse phenomena, including to overeat, to save money, and the purchase of automobiles Incorrect

'To overeat,to save and the purchase' is not parallel

E) such diverse phenomena as overeating, saving money, and purchasing automobiles. Correct

-Such ...as is used for giving examples
- 'overeating, saving and purchasing' is parallel

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [0]
Send PM
Ranasaymon wrote:
Meaning:
2. Then,economist has given examples of phenomenon. They are overeating, saving money and purchasing automobiles.

POE:

phenomena as diverse as overeating, to save money, and the purchasing of automobiles
Incorrect .

B) phenomena as diverse as overeating, to save money, and to purchase automobiles Incorrect

Meaning changed:

C) diverse phenomena like overeating, the saving of money, and the purchasing of automobiles Incorrect

D) diverse phenomena, including to overeat, to save money, and the purchase of automobiles Incorrect

E) such diverse phenomena as overeating, saving money, and purchasing automobiles. Correct

such as is used to give example.
such....as is not.
don't you think?
Am I wrong.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
suchita2409 wrote:
Ranasaymon wrote:
Meaning:

POE:

Incorrect .

Meaning changed:

such as is used to give example.
such....as is not.
don't you think?
Am I wrong.

Check the following sentences. Both are correct.
1.In India,you can visit wonderful places such as Rajasthan, Kerala and Kashmir.

2. In India,you can visit such wonderful places as Rajasthan, Kerala and Kashmir

In the first sentence, 'such as' is used to give examples.
In the last one, 'such... as' is used. In both cases, such as is maintained.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [0]
Send PM
In your example 2) I don't think such is needed.
It could be plain as "wonderful places as"

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
suchita2409 wrote:
In your example 2) I don't think such is needed.
It could be plain as "wonderful places as"

For giving examples, we need to use such as.

As is used in certain cases..
1. To compare clauses (As+clause)
2. To give reasons (As/Because)
3. To maintain simultaneity (As/While/During)
4. To play role
(as+noun)

If we use 'you can visit wonderful places as Rajasthan',it means that wonderful places play the function of Rajasthan.
Is it logical?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 231 [1]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
generis wrote:
For forum members, aspirants, and non-experts:
All correct answers that contain good explanations will be awarded ONE KUDOS.

Exceptional answers may be "bumped" to Best Community Reply.

Kudos will be awarded after the OE is posted.

Economist George Akerlof has argued that procrastination reveals the limits of rational thinking and can teach useful lessons about phenomena as diverse as overeating, to save money, and the purchasing of automobiles.

A) phenomena as diverse as overeating, to save money, and the purchasing of automobiles
Not parallel

B) phenomena as diverse as overeating, to save money, and to purchase automobiles
Gerund and infinitive- Not parallel

C) diverse phenomena like overeating, the saving of money, and the purchasing of automobiles
presence of Like

D) diverse phenomena, including to overeat, to save money, and the purchase of automobiles
Not making any sense

E) such diverse phenomena as overeating, saving money, and purchasing automobiles
Correct
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 185 [1]
Given Kudos: 140
Send PM
Economist George Akerlof has argued that procrastination reveals the limits of rational thinking and can teach useful lessons about phenomena as diverse as overeating, to save money, and the purchasing of automobiles.

POE:
Stop sign- 'and', check for parallelism.
Eliminate (A), (B), (C) & (D) - parallelism issue

A) phenomena as diverse as overeating, to save money, and the purchasing of automobiles

B) phenomena as diverse as overeating, to save money, and to purchase automobiles

C) diverse phenomena like overeating, the saving of money, and the purchasing of automobiles

D) diverse phenomena, including to overeat, to save money, and the purchase of automobiles

E) such diverse phenomena as overeating, saving money, and purchasing automobiles - CORRECT
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35486 [1]
Send PM
Economist George Akerlof has argued that procrastination reveals the l [#permalink]