Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:56 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [2]
Given Kudos: 370
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [1]
Given Kudos: 125
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [1]
Given Kudos: 105
Concentration: Operations, Other
GMAT 1: 660 Q43 V38
GMAT 2: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.54
WE:Operations (Transportation)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Given Kudos: 129
Send PM
Re: Eminent economists believe that among the most prominent signs of loom [#permalink]
Kudos
Eminent economists believe that among the most prominent signs of looming recession for an economy are high debt levels amid optimistic sentiments, defaulting loans and other delinquencies, reducing tax revenues, and decreasing of unemployment rates to extraordinary levels.

This sentence is talking about the prominent signs which include high debt level, reduction.... and decrease...

The sentence has parallelism error. All the above list should be in a parallel form.
defaulting loans and other delinquencies: This is modifying the high debt levels. So it wont be parallel.

A. reducing tax revenues, and decreasing of unemployment rates to extraordinary levels
Not parallel to high debt.

B. reducing tax revenues and decreases in unemployment rates to extraordinary levels
Decreases is singular. Incorrect. and no parallelism.

C. reducing tax revenues, and decrease in unemployment rates to extraordinary levels
Not parallel to high debt

D. reduction in tax revenues, and decreasing of unemployment rates to extraordinary levels
Not parallel to high debt.

E. reduction in tax revenues, and decrease in unemployment rates to extraordinary levels
Correct.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6296 [1]
Given Kudos: 704
Send PM
Re: Eminent economists believe that among the most prominent signs of loom [#permalink]
Kudos
Eminent economists believe that among the most prominent signs of looming recession for an economy are high debt levels amid optimistic sentiments, defaulting loans and other delinquencies, reducing tax revenues, and decreasing of unemployment rates to extraordinary levels.

A.reducing tax revenues, and decreasing of unemployment rates to extraordinary levels {Not parallel}
B. reducing tax revenuesanddecreases in unemployment rates to extraordinary levels...{ Need a comma before 'and'. Also, reducing tax revenues is not parallel}
C. reducing tax revenues, and decrease in unemployment rates to extraordinary levels..{Not parallel}
D. reduction in tax revenues, and decreasing of unemployment rates to extraordinary levels....{Not parallel}
E. reduction in tax revenues, and decrease in unemployment rates to extraordinary levels.... Correct option

IMO E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1552 [1]
Given Kudos: 132
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
Kudos
A. reducing tax revenues, and decreasing of unemployment rates to extraordinary levels
incorrect parallelism all the items in parallel should be noun use of participle is wrong

B. reducing tax revenues and decreases in unemployment rates to extraordinary levels
incorrect parallelism---reducing is wrong here ---decreases are incorrect we need decrease----also if we write ( A and B) comma is not required before AND
but if there are more than two items we write A, B, and C comma is required before AND

C. reducing tax revenues, and decrease in unemployment rates to extraordinary levels
reducing is a participle ---we need the noun to be in parallel with the other items

D. reduction in tax revenues, and decreasing of unemployment rates to extraordinary levels
incorrect parallelism

E. reduction in tax revenues, and decrease in unemployment rates to extraordinary levels
correct parallelism all the items parallel are a noun (CORRECT)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 252 [1]
Given Kudos: 1696
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: Simon '24 (A)
GMAT 1: 610 Q46 V28
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.37
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos

Inside two commas, we have not essential modifier, which if removed, by default, does not hurt meaning. Thus, let's remove "defaulting loans and other delinquencies" so that it does not distract us from list of things/actions. ("defaulting" is an ing-modifier that modifies "high debt levels amid optimistic sentiments". In other words, we can say how does high debt amid optimistic sentiments? By defaulting loans and other delinquencies" ) Once removed, we get a list of nouns "high debt levels..., reducing tax revenues, and decreasing of unemployment rates", no parallelism observed between this list, thus original sentence is wrong.
In B, we have "high debt levels..., reducing tax revenues, and decreases of unemployment rates", again parallelism is not maintained, let alone the meaning! Out
In C, we have "high debt levels..., reducing tax revenues, and decrease in unemployment rates", although this one is by far the best, it is not perfect because of that 'reducing'. Lets see further if we have a better option. (Spoiler, we do). For now, eliminate C
In D, we have "high debt levels, reduction in tax revenues, and decreasing ...." almost perfect but almost is not counted. Again, I observe no parallelism. Thus out.
In E, we have "high debt levels, reduction in tax revenues, and decrease in unemployment rates" - perfection is found. we have all items in nice parallel form. Besides, I love that parallelism in 'reduction in" AND 'decrease in"
Answer is E, IMO

Originally posted by mira93 on 17 Jul 2019, 00:05.
Last edited by mira93 on 17 Jul 2019, 00:19, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [1]
Given Kudos: 160
GPA: 3.9
WE:Account Management (Other)
Send PM
Kudos

Hi Folks,
In the given sentence, economists believe that there are a few prominent signs of looming recessions. Hence these must be parallel in structure. "high debt levels amid optimistic sentiments" and "defaulting loans and other delinquencies" are in non-underlined portion of the sentence and are nouns. So, other entities also must be noun or noun phrases.

A. reducing tax revenues (Action), and decreasing of unemployment rates(Action) to extraordinary levels :Incorrect
B. reducing tax revenues and decreases in unemployment rates to extraordinary levels : Same as A Incorrect
C. reducing tax revenues, and decrease in unemployment rates to extraordinary levels : Same as A Incorrect
D. reduction in tax revenues, and decreasing of unemployment rates to extraordinary levels : Corrects one but decreasing is still a trend/action. Incorrect
E. reduction in tax revenues (Noun phrase), and decrease in unemployment rates to extraordinary levels (Noun phrase) : Correct
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 133 [1]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
Schools: ESSEC '22
GPA: 3.9
WE:Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Kudos

First 3-2 split, reducing tax revenues vs reduction in tax , -ing is used as a verb and -ion is used as a noun, since the sentence is essentially lists we need a noun.
the signs or looming recession are reduction in is correct,

Eliminate a,b,c

second spilt, decreasing of vs decrease in

decrease in would be parallel, answer E
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM

my question here is

is the parallels are adjective + noun phrase

but many are saying its noun phrase.. but i think its not

first two adjective+ noun phrase

next two ( AS PER CORRECT CHOICE) are just noun phrase.

are these are actully parallel? any similar og questions available which shows this kind of parallels.??

where i am wrong here
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 972 [4]
Given Kudos: 655
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
ccheryn wrote:

my question here is

are these are actully parallel? any similar og questions available which shows this kind of parallels.??

where i am wrong here

Hi ccheryn,

Let’s first understand what a noun phrase is. A noun phrase consists of a noun or a pronoun and any noun modifiers describing this noun or pronoun.

I. Often a noun phrase is just a noun or a pronoun:

- People like to have money. (People is a noun and simultaneously a noun phrase here)
- I am tired. (I is a pronoun and simultaneously a noun phrase here)

II. A noun phrase can also include determiners, quantifiers, numbers, and adjectives:

- Those houses are expensive. (Those is a determiner that describes houses)
- I’ve lived in a lot of houses. (a lot of is a quantifier that describes houses)
- My brother owns two houses. (two is a number that describes houses)
- I love old houses. (old is an adjective that describes houses)

III. Some noun phrases have a noun modifier coming after the noun it modifies:

1. Prepositional phrases:

- a man with a gun
- the boy in the blue shirt

2. ing phrases

- the man standing over there
- the boy talking to Angela

3. Relative clauses

- the man we met yesterday
- the houses that Jack built
- the woman who discovered radium

A noun phrase may have more than one modifier coming before and after the noun:

- an eight-year old boy with a gun _ who tried to rob a sweet shop

As you see, a noun phrase may include different types of modifiers, not only adjectives or prepositional phrases. What is interesting is that a noun itself alone can also be a noun phrase. Considering all the above, let’s analyze our question.

There are four signs of looming recession:

- high debt levels amid optimistic sentiments
- defaulting loans and other delinquencies
- reduction in tax revenues
- decrease in unemployment rates

If to be literal, there are five nouns such as levels, loans, delinquencies, reduction, and decrease that must be parallel. Three initial nouns such as levels, loans, and delinquencies are abstract nouns. The last two nouns such as reduction and decrease are action nouns. Abstract nouns CAN be parallel with action nouns. Thus levels, loans, and delinquencies are parallel to reduction and decrease. Notice that all elements of the parallelism are noun phrases:

1. high debt levels amid optimistic sentiments (noun phrase) = adjective + noun adjective + noun + prepositional phrase. So, the levels of what? Debt levels. What kind of debt levels? High debt levels. What kind of high debt levels? High debt levels amid optimistic sentiments.

2. defaulting loans and other delinquencies. Why defaulting loans and other delinquencies are taken as a single sign? That’s because defaulting loans are one type of delinquencies or examples of delinquencies. For example, when you say A cocktail from fresh apples and other fruits, you mean that apple is one example of fruits. Similarly when you say defaulting loans and other delinquencies, you mean that the first is an example of the second.

defaulting loans (noun phrase) = adjective + noun. Defaulting is an adjective and means not paid yet. So, what kind of loans? Not yet paid loans or defaulting loans. Contrary to most posts in this thread, this part of the sentence high debt levels..., defaulting loans doesn’t meant that high debt levels cause defaulting loans. That’s not true. If any country has high debt levels, that doesn’t necessarily mean that loans are not paid. People may borrow a lot and pay back on time. So that interpretation is not true. However, these two situations may occur together when people borrow a lot but can’t pay back. These two situations together may lead to the third, recession.

other delinquencies (noun phrase) = determiner + noun. Delinquency means neglecting of one’s duty. Defaulting loans also means neglecting a duty to pay back the loan. So they are the same type of things.

3. reduction in tax revenues (noun phrase) = noun + prepositional phrase. So, what kind of reduction? Reduction in tax revenues.

4. decrease in unemployment rates (noun phrase) = noun + prepositional phrase. So, what kind of decrease? Decrease in unemployment rates.

As you see, all four signs of a recession or all five elements of a parallelism are noun phrases and they are parallel.

Similar OG problem you may find helpful: https://gmatclub.com/forum/recently-imp ... 79239.html

This post contains a brilliant explanation from generis that will show you how different parallel nouns can be: https://gmatclub.com/forum/symptoms-of- ... l#p2312856

For more about a noun phrase please visit here: https://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org ... un-phrases
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
JonShukhrat

What a meticulous reply, thanks JonShukhrat,

will read and internalise then will come back to you on issues.

thank you very much indeed for your long reply to make me understand.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Send PM
JonShukhrat

Thank you very much I took a day to study all your concepts multiple times in multiple questions,

i have two doubts please correct me if i am wrong

1 st question:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/recently-imp ... 79239.html

This question there is no adjective + noun phrase to get confused in this parallelism, all are direct nouns, I mean

have reduced
sickness, ( noun)
sleeping on the job, (gerund, which infact noun)
fatigue among shift workers( fatique is abstract noun)

This is direct OG question, in this I don’t have any confusion,

Next the other two

2. https://gmatclub.com/forum/symptoms-of- ... l#p2312856
Symptoms of a severe allergic reaction to a bee sting may include dizziness, hives or rashes, swelling of the wound, difficulty breathing, intense itching, and losing consciousness

Correct choice :
swelling of the wound, difficulty breathing, an intense itch, and loss of

Yeah what generis explains is losing consciousness is action noun but losing is more close to verb than rest of others

( I am yet to feel or differentiate how generis explains this)
But as far as I understood,

I tried to understand by using "have "
Symptoms will have
dizziness,
Rashes,
Swelling
Difficulty breathing
Itching
But cant explain losing consciousness like that it wont fit( ie symptoms will have losing consciousness) hence wrong

( correct me if I am wrong in my understanding)

So the above example is also fine

( my first doubt)

Except for one explanation by generis

[b]generis
explains as this

Losing in this context is not a "regular" noun, and of the __ING words in each option, "losing" is the most verb-like of the words. Losing
-- immediately takes the direct object consciousness. Verbs take direct objects.

But even gerunds take direct object sometimes

• I delayed telling Jerry the bad news.
• Bill avoided doing his math assignment because the World Series was on.

So how can we differentiate "more verb like" noun to "action noun" by considering only this
[/b]

3rd question https://gmatclub.com/forum/ornithologis ... l#p2288169

Ornithologists report that signs of a predator in your bluebird houses may include broken eggs in and around the nest, missing eggs or nestlings, pulling the nesting material partially through the house entrance, and building a new nest on top of the old one.

Approached same formula, said signs will "have"

broken eggs,
missing eggs
nesting material
new nest

So pulling and building are out( gerunds wont fit here)

And able to pick to right option, no confusion

Generis says

Almost without exception, concrete nouns in a list may be paired only with other concrete nouns.
(Very rarely, concrete nouns may be paired with gerunds. We should try to avoid this pairing.)

Take aways from the above examples
Concrete noun to be paried with concrete noun
Abstract noun can be paired with action noun ( ie 1. adjective + noun , 2. gerunds)

Now coming back to this example
In the same logic if I go

And if I rewrite

Eminent economists believe that among the most prominent signs of looming recession for an economy are high debt , defaulting loans , reducing tax revenues, and decreasing unemployment rates .

( my second doubt) My question here is can above be parallel .

Reducing tax revenues is also ( adjective + noun) and
decreasing unemployment also ( adjective + noun)

all are similar to defaulting loans ( adjective + noun)
high debt ( adjective + noun)

As if I say signs will "have"
reducing tax revenues
decreasing unemployment
defaulting loans
high debt

All matches here unlike the above 3 examples..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
ccheryn wrote:
JonShukhrat

Thank you very much I took a day to study all your concepts multiple times in multiple questions,

i have two doubts please correct me if i am wrong...

Hi ccheryn,

I did some research on your doubts. Let me share some interesting findings. I hope you will enjoy them. Let’s start from addressing your first confusion.

ccheryn wrote:
my question here is

are these are actully parallel? Any similar og questions available which shows this kind of parallels.??

Regarding the first highlight, “adjective + noun phrase” is not a legitimate construction. You cannot write it in this way. In my previous post I wrote that noun + noun modifier = noun phrase. So, whatever describes the noun - whether it’s adjective, preposition, participle, or relative clause – it is considered a noun modifier. That noun modifier and the noun together constitute a noun phrase. For example:

high debt levels can be dissected as high + debt + levels = high debt levels or adjective + noun + noun = noun phrase or noun modifier + noun modifier + noun = noun phrase. Here the main noun is levels while the other two are noun modifiers, and all those three words together constitute one noun phrase. Thus you cannot say “adjective + noun phrase” because that adjective can’t stay alone and must be considered a part of the noun phrase. Next example:

defaulting loans also can be dissected as noun modifier + noun = noun phrase or participle + noun = noun modifier. That participle acts as an adjective here, so we can even write as adjective + noun = noun phrase, BUT NOT as adjective + noun phrase. That was a reply to your second highlight. Let’s dissect the other two elements:

reduction in tax revenues can be understood as noun + noun modifier = noun phrase or noun + prepositional phrase = noun phrase.

decrease in unemployment rates also can be understood as noun + noun modifier = noun phrase or noun + prepositional phrase = noun phrase.

Finally, we can see that all the four elements of the parallelism are noun phrases containing a noun and noun modifiers. The only thing that bothered you is - whether adjective + noun is parallel to noun + prepositional phrase? Yes it is firstly because both of them as a whole are noun phrases, and secondly because both adjective and prepositional phrase are noun modifiers here. Since both noun modifiers do the same function (they describe a noun), they are parallel. Your third highlight has just got answered.

Conclusion: Parallel elements don’t necessarily have to be of the same structure. You can’t say that adjective + noun and noun + prepositional phrase are not parallel because they have different structures. That would be not true. Rather take a general look and notice that both are noun plus noun modifier. The placement of those modifiers doesn’t matter either. Ron Purewal says it best:

Ron: “Make sure you don't think that parallel structures have to look exactly like each other all the time. That may be the ideal situation, sure - but, if it were an absolute requirement, it would become extremely difficult or even impossible to express many mundane ideas.” An example from OG:

Individuals who have been blind from birth make hand motions just as frequently and in virtually the same way as sighted people do.

Here just as frequently and in virtually the same way don’t look the same, but they both describe the same action. That is, both of them function as adverbs. Therefore, they are parallel. Similar example from GMAT Prep:

Dogs are being bred for looks or to meet other narrow criteria.

Ron: “There's no real way to express for looks as an infinitive without either (a) losing the intended meaning or (b) using a TON of words. You clearly can't express to meet ... criteria in the form for NOUN.”

My wife and I argue just as often and about the same things as the couple next door. (Ron’s example)

Ron: “This is a correct sentence. (It happens to work a lot like #46 in the OG 11 diagnostic section). If you believe in the idea that parallel structures must look exactly like each other at all times, then this sentence becomes impossible to write.”

Did you notice that your ultimate highlight was satisfied by Ron himself? :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Kudos