It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 05:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Essay writing

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 86

Schools: ISB '19 (S), IIMA
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Essay writing [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2017, 10:04
Hello everyone

I am now gearing up for the application due on 15th Oct.

I am considering consultants but I want to understand whether its a good idea to be self sufficient in essay writing or take the external help. What ate risks in both the cases.

I can see that I may not come up with the best draft, but I can surely take help from friends with good hold on story building. At the same time they do not have exp of writing for these institutes.

I fear if I take a consultant's help, the resume and essay may sound too perfect to be true.

Does that affect the interview call??

Please guide me.

Thanks a ton!

Sent from my A0001 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Essay writing [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2017, 07:27
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi,

I am an ISB alum, CO14, and have been assisting applicants in drafting their application essays for global Business schools.

Based on your post it seems that you are giving yourself good 2 months to draft the ISB essays. This as per me is the best way to approach the topic of essays as it will give you plenty of time to draft, redraft, re re draft and finally come up with a version you are confident about.

As far as your question around whether to take assistance of a consultant, I would suggest you reach out to someone only when you have exhausted your options of friends, family, colleagues, alums etc. And still feel that your esaays have not come out the way you would ideally want them to be.

Having said that, please note that no admission consultant will know your story and your profile better than you would do on your own. However, there comes a challenge with this extra understanding - you get confused as to what personality trait, which leadership example, which project and what career goals to highlight in the limited space of 300-400 words. There an outsider's perspective definitely can enable you to make the decision faster and not make you sound like a jack of all trades, but one with a focus in life.

As far as ad coms getting to know that you have taken support of a cosnultant - there is nothing wrong with this. Business schools including ISB encourages applicants to reach out to alums, faculty and others who have been / are associated with the school so that you can have a fit hand knowledge of what is in store for you. Just make sure the admission consultant doesn't put too many flamboyant / rosy words, which you ideally don't use as part of your day to day vocab. Ad com will definitely catch that vibe in the interview. Also please please don't get tempted to use bits and pieces of someone else's ( even if he got admitted 5 years back) application essays. ISB has a string software to check for plagiarism.

Rest I will leave it up to you to make a prudent decision. I am available at +91-9701215544 for a chat.

Wish you all the very best.

Cheers
Arijit

Posted from my mobile device

Thanks and Regards,
Arijit Biswas
Founder, CrackAdmission
M| +91-9701215544

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2017, 09:17
Thanks Arijit for such a detailed insightful response.

I think this is just the kind of assurance I was looking for. I am going to take help from friends and hopefully it should turn out well.
I have started working on the first draft already.

ALso, thanks for pointing out that 2 months will be good enough to come up with a satisfactory version. I was worried whether I have given myself sufficient time or not!

Thanks again!
Regards!

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Schools: ISB '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.79

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2017, 23:11
spc11 wrote:
Hello everyone

I am considering consultants but I want to understand whether its a good idea to be self sufficient in essay writing or take the external help. What ate risks in both the cases.

I can see that I may not come up with the best draft, but I can surely take help from friends with good hold on story building. At the same time they do not have exp of writing for these institutes.

I fear if I take a consultant's help, the resume and essay may sound too perfect to be true.

Please guide me.

Thanks a ton!

Go for a consultancy service where you will enjoy the process. They definitely add value. They help you in understanding your shortcomings and align your career goals in a concise way. They make your story impactful.

But, what most firms don't do is help you explore the career path. At the end of the day, it is your career. That's what I have felt lacking in most consultancy firms, including some of the well known ones in the India. They will listen to your story, give you a English Hons candidate who will help you with your essays. And that's it. You are mesmerized by the kind of essay they have crafted for you. But that's not the real you. It is not a literature exam. Your key takeaway should be not only the essays but also a more developed person who can apply for any B-School.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 51

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2017, 01:43
spc11 wrote:
Hello everyone

Please guide me.

Thanks a ton!

Hi SPC,

Both the approaches are legitimate.

A consultant can be your bouncing board for essay story ideas- having seen so many applications, consultants know what are done to death stories and which of your personality characteristics can help you stand out. Same goes for putting logic and structure to your career goals.

When you are writing your essays, its good to get expert opinion, because most applicants are not able to view a situation with the depth that a consultant can prod them to view it, and come up with impressive insights.

In my experience of 7+ years, this is where we have helped our applicants the most.

And your application is meant to be perfect- whether you write it yourself or take a consultant's help - that's the standard expected by any top business school, so no brownie points for imperfections in the application.

Eventually, the best way to know is by talking to consultants and understanding what value will they add. Feel free to contact us.

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772

Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask for a FREE profile evaluation HERE

Featured among the top 25 Women CEOs in India, in the CEO Magazine

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 51

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2017, 03:47
Thank you for the detailed views, YourMba story and MBA decoder.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2017, 04:09
Hi spc11

How did the application turn out? Did you take help from any consultant?

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2017, 04:24
Hi Ankur

I have submitted the application. Took help from friends and initial tips from consultants through their webinars, but didnt hire. I was confident of my friends who have an eye for detail, just what these essays need!
Fingers crossed!!

Re: Essay writing   [#permalink] 11 Oct 2017, 04:24

Essay writing

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap