GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2019, 05:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Ethnic Background Question

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Ethnic Background Question  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2019, 00:41
I have heard being Indian makes it harder to get into Harvard due to competition...

If my ethnicity is Indian, but I am a Citizen in Australia, with high schooling in Australia, Primary schooling in California and middle schooling in India, does that put me in the Indian Box of Applications or Oceania Box?

No racism or whatever else intended here.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Director
Director
P
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Re: Ethnic Background Question  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2019, 00:49
Hello AdityaPujara23

Your passport defines your nationality.
Your diverse experiences could add to the diversity of your profile (if presented in the right manner).
Apart from this, do not try to look too much into what box you fall- rather focus on a strong application- needless to say, Harvard is tough for all applicants.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

AdityaPujara23 wrote:
I have heard being Indian makes it harder to get into Harvard due to competition...

If my ethnicity is Indian, but I am a Citizen in Australia, with high schooling in Australia, Primary schooling in California and middle schooling in India, does that put me in the Indian Box of Applications or Oceania Box?

No racism or whatever else intended here.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Director
Director
V
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.67
WE: Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2019, 12:31
Greetings MBAkarma

your comment got my attention.
does ethnicity affect admission?

From AdityaPujara23's question, if I are applying as an Indian, Am I competing against candidates from the same ethnicity or I am competing against all the candidates evenly?
P

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2019, 01:08
Hello Mahmoudfawzy83

Ethnicity may play some role in admissions.
If you belong to a highly represented pool of applicants (say Indians or Chinese) generally speaking, you will be expected to have a stellar profile with high GMAT scores. For example within Indians, the largest pool of applicants is a Male IT Engineer. Say if an Indian belongs to the Armed Services, he/she will at least be diverse within their own pool.
At the same time there might be some ethnicity that sees very few applications- that might increase the chances as schools want to increase diversity. But that does not mean that a weak profile will easily get an admission.
A candidate is competing within the pool that he she belongs to and against all candidates at the same time. Ultimately it is the individual merit of the candidate which will decide the final outcome.
Each school will have their own way of categorizing pools as well.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

Mahmoudfawzy83 wrote:
Greetings MBAkarma

your comment got my attention.
does ethnicity affect admission?

From AdityaPujara23's question, if I are applying as an Indian, Am I competing against candidates from the same ethnicity or I am competing against all the candidates evenly?

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Yale '21 (D)
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.63

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2019, 01:49
MBAkarma wrote:
Hello Mahmoudfawzy83

If you belong to a highly represented pool of applicants (say Indians or Chinese) generally speaking, you will be expected to have a stellar profile with high GMAT scores. For example within Indians, the largest pool of applicants is a Male IT Engineer. Say if an Indian belongs to the Armed Services, he/she will at least be diverse within their own pool.
At the same time there might be some ethnicity that sees very few applications- that might increase the chances as schools want to increase diversity. But that does not mean that a weak profile will easily get an admission.
A candidate is competing within the pool that he she belongs to and against all candidates at the same time. Ultimately it is the individual merit of the candidate which will decide the final outcome.

Hey Varun

Does this mean than a person with Anglo roots, an Indian Jew or Parsi with an average profile (for India) will be considered diverse within the Indian pool?
Is diversity explicitly only with regards to the career or even includes community.
Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2019, 01:58
Hello isasda66

Diversity can be presented in 2 ways-

1. As a bullet point
2. Explained qualitatively

Industry, academic background, nationality, extremely high GMAT, national/international awards etc. can be presented as a bullet point and if impressive/different can add to your diversity.
Other things such as sub-ethnicity, quality of work experience, achievements and accomplishments at work need to be presented in detail through a story in your essays/LOR to explain why these make you diverse. Also, all schools may not look at sub-ethnicity in such detail.
Diversity can come from any aspect of you profile, sky is the limit really. What matters is how you choose to present it and showcase that it is relevant for your application.
I believe this conversation is going too deep into just one aspect of the application, which is not the right way to go.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

isasda66 wrote:
MBAkarma wrote:
Hello Mahmoudfawzy83

Hey Varun

Does this mean than a person with Anglo roots, an Indian Jew or Parsi with an average profile (for India) will be considered diverse within the Indian pool?
Is diversity explicitly only with regards to the career or even includes community.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Ethnic Background Question   [#permalink] 15 Jan 2019, 01:58

Ethnic Background Question

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: sroy4