GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Dec 2018, 18:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

December 13, 2018

December 13, 2018

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz, Tomorrow, Saturday at 9 AM PST

December 14, 2018

December 14, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

10 Questions will be posted on the forum and we will post a reply in this Topic with a link to each question. There are prizes for the winners.

Even though its per capita food supply hardly increased during two dec

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Even though its per capita food supply hardly increased during two dec  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 03 Oct 2018, 22:24
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

54% (01:07) correct 46% (01:06) wrong based on 304 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Even though its per capita food supply hardly increased during two decades, stringent rationing and planned distribution have allowed the People’s Republic of China to ensure nutritional levels of 2,000 calories per person per day for its population.

(A) Even though its per capita food supply hardly increased during

(B) Even though its per capita food supply has hardly increased in

(C) Despite its per capita food supply hardly increasing over

(D) Despite there being hardly any increase in its per capita food supply during

(E) Although there is hardly any increase in per capita food supply for

Choose Life

Originally posted by trainspotting on 22 Jul 2009, 22:00.
Last edited by Bunuel on 03 Oct 2018, 22:24, edited 2 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Director
Director
Re: Even though its per capita food supply hardly increased during two dec  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2009, 02:40
trainspotting wrote:
Even though its per capita food supply hardly increased during two decades, stringent
rationing and planned distribution have allowed the People’s Republic of China to
ensure nutritional levels of 2,000 calories per person per day for its population.

(D) Despite there being hardly any increase in its per capita food supply during

B - present perfect is best. "in two decades" is correct.
I think, "during two decades" is suspect.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Re: SC 283/1000  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2010, 12:29
Hey All,

The answer here is absolutely B, not E. Seems like there was enough confusion about this one to merit a good long look. So let's do it!

283. Even though its per capita food supply hardly increased during two decades, stringent rationing and planned distribution have allowed the People’s Republic of China to ensure nutritional levels of 2,000 calories per person per day for its population.

There are a number of issues here, which are worth noting before we start. There are preposition issues ("during" versus "in" versus "over"), which generally signals an idiom issue (in this case with increase, and a specified time constraint).

There are also verb tense changes (increased is past, has increased is present perfect, etc.). We solve these by looking elsewhere in the sentence for context. We have the verb "have allowed", which is present perfect. I can't think of any good reason to CHANGE tenses elsewhere in the sentence, and if you can't come up with a reason to change tenses, don't.

PROBLEM: Using the preposition "during" is incorrect. We'd have to specify a particular two decades. Also, we shouldn't use the past tense here if we can help it.

CORRECT: Correct tense, and correct idiom "hardly increased in ten years".

PROBLEM: Again we have a tense change (the present participle form). Also, the "over" is unclear. Do we mean "over the course of ten years" or "over ten years"?

PROBLEM: "Being" always sucks, plus it's not the best tense. Also, we have the same "during" issue as in A.

PROBLEM: The present tense verb "is" is wrong, both because it doesn't match the present perfect verb later, and because it turns this intro phrase into gibberish. There can't presently be hardly any increase for ten years. If you want to express something that started ten years ago and continues into the present, the correct tense choice is present perfect.

Hope that helps!

-t

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Re: SC 283/1000  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2010, 12:31
Hey All,

One more thing. All of the answer choices A-D have modifier issues of a sort, so I don't love this question. But it doesn't change the fact that B is a far better answer than E. Whether or not this is realistic is arguable, but I try not to caught up in arguments like that. You'll need to be able to pick answer choices that break some vague rules occasionally (For example, a-d also have some pronoun weirdness here), so it's helpful to learn to pick the best of bad choices.

Good luck!

-t

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Intern
Intern
Re: Even though its per capita food supply hardly increased during two dec  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2010, 10:32
I still believe B is incorrect..... a modifier should be followed by a noun, and its not happening here...
Although I believe shruti's justification, "for being incorrect" is also correct.....
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2010, 13:12
trainspotting wrote:
Even though its per capita food supply hardly increased during two decades, stringent
rationing and planned distribution have allowed the People’s Republic of China to
ensure nutritional levels of 2,000 calories per person per day for its population.

A- it uses simple past tense which is wrong. the principal clause uses present perfect.
C - hardly increasing is wrong
D-being hardly any increase is wrong
E- hardly any increase and hardly increased are different. Here it means there is no increase. and for two decades is also wrong.

B uses present perfect tense and in two decades is also right.

B is correct
Current Student
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2010, 19:47
I chose B.

I think that 'its' correctly refers to China as there are no other nouns 'its' can possibly represent.

'Per capita food supply' is a statistic we use for countries, and there are no other countries present in the passage besides China.

Of course the passage would've been clearer if China was placed after comma, but I think B is still correct this way.

I used to automatically cross out the answer choices with ambiguous pronouns, but it's not always about the placement of the subject and the pronoun. As long as the pronoun clearly refers to a certain noun without confusion, it's usually correct

Consider KUDOS if my post was helpful. :-D

My Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/750-q49v42-105591.html#p825487

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Even though its per capita food supply hardly increased  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2012, 04:38
(A) Even though its per capita food supply hardly increased during: wrong; the shift of tense from present perfect to past tense in the introductory sub-clause renders the sentence un //.
(B) Even though its per capita food supply has hardly increased in: Present perfect is ideal here as the sentence means to convey an element of currency in its meaning, as also the present perfect ideally parallels the have allowed in the un-underlined part. Correct
(C) Despite its per capita food supply hardly increasing over: C suffers from misplaced modification. Please note hardly increasing is not a verb but a present participle and the first portion as such is prepositional modifier phrase, unlike in the A and B, which have sub-clauses.
(D) Despite there being hardly any increase in its per capita food supply during: same misplaced modification as in C
(E) Although there is hardly any increase in per capita food supply for; It is unclear about whose per capita food supply is this choice talking about, as the sub clause, is missing the pronoun its. Wrong

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2012, 19:00
B is the best answer.
OE - In choice A, the simple past tense hardly increased does not match the present perfect have allowed; consequently, it seems that two different time periods are being discussed. In B, the best choice, has hardly increased parallels have allowed to indicate that the events described took place at the same time. Also in is the best word here for making a comparison between the beginning and the end of the twenty-year period. Choices C and D are awkward and unidiomatic, and choice E fails to specify where there was no increase in per capita food supply.
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2018, 16:07
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Even though its per capita food supply hardly increased during two dec &nbs [#permalink] 03 Oct 2018, 16:07

Even though its per capita food supply hardly increased during two dec

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap