Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:44 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [12]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.51
WE:Other (Transportation)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [5]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [3]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 267
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V30
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Re: Even though the original text of the U.S. Constitution, adopted in 178 [#permalink]
mahendru1992 wrote:
Even though the original text of the U.S. Constitution, adopted in 1787, mandated that any U.S. president or senator must be an American citizen, but the Constitution did not contain a definition of citizenship itself until the Fourteenth Amendment was ratified on July 28, 1868.

A. Even though the original text of the U.S. Constitution, adopted in 1787, mandated that any U.S. president or senator must be an American citizen, but the Constitution did not contain a definition of citizenship itself until the Fourteenth Amendment was ratified on July 28, 1868.

B. The original text of the U.S. Constitution, which was adopted in 1787, specifies any U.S. president or senator who must be an American citizen, although the Constitution did not actually define citizenship until the ratification of the Fourteenth Amendment on July 28, 1868.

C. In the original text of the U.S. Constitution that was adopted in 1787, it is specified that any U.S. president or senator be an American citizen; an actual definition, however, did not exist until the Fourteenth Amendment was ratified on July 28, 1868.

D. When the U.S. Constitution was adopted in 1787, its original text specified that any U.S. president or senator must be an American citizen, but that citizenship itself would not be defined until the ratification of the Fourteenth Amendment on July 28, 1868.

E. Although the original text of the U.S. Constitution, adopted in 1787, mandates that any U.S. president or senator be an American citizen, citizenship itself was not actually defined in the Constitution until July 28, 1868, when the Fourteenth Amendment was ratified.

VeritasKarishma GMATNinja hazelnut generis

Can anyone please help me with this?

My reasons to reject D:
1. "but that citizenship itself " --> The "that" word in D tries to force parallel to " its original text specified that" and thus give illogical meaning that "its original text specified that citizenship itself would ..."
2. "the ratification of" this is less preferred than action verb form "Ratified"

Kindly correct if I am wrong.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64901 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: Even though the original text of the U.S. Constitution, adopted in 178 [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
\sqrt{}
Suryakumar wrote:
mahendru1992 wrote:
Even though the original text of the U.S. Constitution, adopted in 1787, mandated that any U.S. president or senator must be an American citizen, but the Constitution did not contain a definition of citizenship itself until the Fourteenth Amendment was ratified on July 28, 1868.

A. Even though the original text of the U.S. Constitution, adopted in 1787, mandated that any U.S. president or senator must be an American citizen, but the Constitution did not contain a definition of citizenship itself until the Fourteenth Amendment was ratified on July 28, 1868.

B. The original text of the U.S. Constitution, which was adopted in 1787, specifies any U.S. president or senator who must be an American citizen, although the Constitution did not actually define citizenship until the ratification of the Fourteenth Amendment on July 28, 1868.

C. In the original text of the U.S. Constitution that was adopted in 1787, it is specified that any U.S. president or senator be an American citizen; an actual definition, however, did not exist until the Fourteenth Amendment was ratified on July 28, 1868.

D. When the U.S. Constitution was adopted in 1787, its original text specified that any U.S. president or senator must be an American citizen, but that citizenship itself would not be defined until the ratification of the Fourteenth Amendment on July 28, 1868.

E. Although the original text of the U.S. Constitution, adopted in 1787, mandates that any U.S. president or senator be an American citizen, citizenship itself was not actually defined in the Constitution until July 28, 1868, when the Fourteenth Amendment was ratified.

VeritasKarishma GMATNinja hazelnut generis

Can anyone please help me with this?

My reasons to reject D:
1. "but that citizenship itself " --> The "that" word in D tries to force parallel to " its original text specified that" and thus give illogical meaning that "its original text specified that citizenship itself would ..."
2. "the ratification of" this is less preferred than action verb form "Ratified"

Kindly correct if I am wrong.

Yes, I would reject it for your point 1.
Forum Quiz PM
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
Send PM
I know this post is a little old and I did a rough search on the forum but didn't find anything specific. Can someone explain to me which is the right form of usage?

1) In the original text of the U.S. Constitution that was adopted in 1787, it is specified that any U.S. president or senator be an American citizen; an actual definition, however, did not exist until the Fourteenth Amendment was ratified on July 28, 1868.

2) Or is it However, an actual definition did not exist until the Fourteenth Amendment was ratified on July 28, 1868.

Is it always the former when used after the semicolon and the latter when used otherwise. (Only in reference to the use of 'However' for contrast)

GMATNinja VeritasKarishma generis

Alternatively, can you suggest some link I could read up about this?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 485 [0]
Given Kudos: 839
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
MartyTargetTestPrep, I would love to hear your take on this question.

I was going to select option E but rejected it because I thought the option had a comma splice.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5136 [2]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
kntombat wrote:
MartyTargetTestPrep, I would love to hear your take on this question.

I was going to select option E but rejected it because I thought the option had a comma splice.

Three conjunctions for three clauses. Only two conjunctions are needed. Gone.

Insane meaning. How would a document specify people who must be citizens? For instance, would the U.S. Constitution consider the current members of the Senate and decide who must be citizens? Almost certainly not the correct answer.

"That was adopted ..." attempts to restrict the constitution. That restriction does not appear to make sense since, presumably, there is only one U.S. Constitution. Not an ideal decision point, but probably not correct.

Definition of what?

Also, placing "however" mid clause does not make sense in this case. The flow of ideas does not make sense. "However" should be at the beginning of the clause.

The meaning "when the ... Constitution was adopted ... it's original text specified" does not make sense. So, at some other point in time, the original text did something else? The original text would do one thing only, not different things at different times.

"That citizenship" is a little off, since no particular citizenship is mentioned.

Perfect.

Two conjunctions, "although" and "when" for three clauses.

Says what was defined.

No crazy meaning conveyed.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64901 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM