GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 20 Jan 2020, 13:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Even though the overall consumer price index did not change in April,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Accounting, Accounting
WE: Accounting (Education)
Even though the overall consumer price index did not change in April,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2019, 23:25
anox or anyone please explain ,
I am not understanding why in option B, 'is' should be used in stead of 'were'.

Posted from my mobile device
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: Even though the overall consumer price index did not change in April,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2019, 06:26
msu6800 wrote:
anox or anyone please explain ,
I am not understanding why in option B, 'is' should be used in stead of 'were'.
Look at any general inflation or deflation as X or Y. Here we'll have to make the verb agree with the noun closest to it. The problem with were is that it is plural, whereas the noun that it should agree with (deflation) is singular.

... indicating that any general inflation or deflation were absent...
P
Re: Even though the overall consumer price index did not change in April,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2019, 09:59
of course, I choose choice a.
but choice a has some problem,
"indicating the absence...." can modify the previous or ending clause. this is ambiguous.

am i correct ?
Intern
Intern
B
Even though the overall consumer price index did not change in April,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2019, 04:21
Hello. I have a question about option A

(A) April, indicating the absence of any general inflation or deflation, prices in several categories of merchandise have fallen

How do we know that the ing modifier phrase , indicating the absence of any general inflation or deflation, modifies the first part of the sentence even though the overall consumer price index did not change in April , not the other part prices in several categories of merchandise have fallen ?

Isn't it ambiguous?

Thank you
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2019, 04:28
thangvietnam wrote:
of course, I choose choice a.
but choice a has some problem,
"indicating the absence...." can modify the previous or ending clause. this is ambiguous.

am i correct ?

thangvietnam I have the same issue with A. Did you find any solution?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2019, 21:48
Dear All,

I have confused why "have fallen" is correct in option A though the starting statement is in simple past. "Even though the overall consumer price index did not change in April". Kindly clarify GMATNinja EMPOWERgmatVerbal VeritasKarishma egmat
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2019, 20:56
priyanshu14 wrote:
Dear All,

I have confused why "have fallen" is correct in option A though the starting statement is in simple past. "Even though the overall consumer price index did not change in April". Kindly clarify GMATNinja EMPOWERgmatVerbal VeritasKarishma egmat
Let's focus on over the last several months.

Something ("the CPI did not change") that indicates ~[no change in prices] happened in April,
but
over the last several months, prices have fallen.

So, in the past (April), X happened. This (X) was a signal that prices would not change. However, over the last few months, prices have fallen.

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2019, 06:15
patto wrote:
Hi!
I have a doubt about this question. I directly cross out the answer choices using present perfect tense. My reasoning is that the prices of the previous months fell, they are not still falling... (which present perfect seems to suggest). Then, why is present perfect correct?

Present perfect is used to talk about something that started in the past and continues in the present.
It is also used to talk about experience upto the present (have fallen over the last several months).

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
CrackVerbal Representative
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2019, 05:39
BhavyaKannan wrote:
Why is Option D incorrect?

Hi Bhavya

Let me plug in option (D) into the original question. It reads as below:

Even though the overall consumer price index did not change in April, having indicated the absence of any general inflation or deflation, prices in several categories of merchandise fell over the last several months.

The verb "indicate" uses the past perfect tense, implying that the "indication" happened before the verb of the clause that it modifies ie; before "consumer price index did not change in April". This is clearly opposed to the meaning intended by the original sentence, which states that it was the "not changing" of the price index in April which indicated the absence of inflation (which is what makes logical sense as well).

Hope this clarifies.
Even though the overall consumer price index did not change in April,   [#permalink] 15 Dec 2019, 05:39

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 29 posts ] 

Even though the overall consumer price index did not change in April,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics